Search Unity

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.2%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.5%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. neoshaman

neoshaman

Re console mode:

MMMmmhhhh .... does that mean we can make text adventure now? I would advise you to have the same convention then, to kill two bird with one stone ;)

Basically ask, tell, look (give a list of visible object in the scene in front of the player he can interact to), more at https://emshort.blog/how-to-play/writing-if/my-articles/conversation/

sr388 likes this.
  2. neoshaman

neoshaman

3. sr388

sr388

Mmmm I didn't think about shields values for vehicles and characters, but it could be a nice addition too (and it is easy to add).

Also, some new option in projectiels could be added too, to configure damage amounts and percentages according to if the element to damage has a shield or just the remaining health. Added to the todo list ;)

Yeah, since games like skyrim or fallout 3, I wanted to make this kind of tool. The list of commands added is little yet, but it will contain more and more (and they are just unity events to configure), with options to configure if they are sending a bool, a float, an amount of objects to spawn, etc....

Yeah, in ships there will be a lot of controls in this interface (I used the car as the vehicle to make the system, so the elements there are lower than in a spatial ship, but the system is customizable in any vehicle).

If you have a bigger list of elements to add t o this interface, tell me (you can use spoiler if it has a gazillion elements haha). Other cool element on big ships, could be security cameras, to have a better look of the ship in reduced places to see if a door is closed or not, manage a weapon at the end of the ship manually, etc...).

I will put all the elements above in the todo list. Combine all of this in a ship along with cargo system will be very cool (and once the zero gravity for the player is added, it will give a star citizen feeling haha).

Not yet. I want to gather more info about nodes editor, because without it, these systems won't have the best workflow. Also, nodes editor will be to used for other systems, like AI, events in the game, and even more things that I haven't thouhgt yet, so it is important to find the best way to achieve this editor.

Mmmm, text adventure. Intersting. The closest thing I had in mind was a system to "talk" with a computer using text.

There is a game called Event[0], where the player can write and the computer will answer according to the text written. For this, I guess the developer made a system which searches especific words (by using maybe a dictionary system or similar) in the text and give an answer for it, triggering the next conversation or event.

So this is a system planned to do. But what you say is interesting too. I will read the whole post to know more about it and think in a way to achieve it.

Maybe this text adventure system could be visible on screen, seeing the player on top view, or fixed perspective, but the only controls is write text by commands, and according to what you type (and the system you said to know what elements are in the scene), the player will do those actions, like pick a key in the desk, open or close that locker, use that computer device, shoot at that enemy, etc....

It would be a mix between old school adventure graphic and text adventure games. Really intrigued about this, and it doesn't seems difficult to achieve.

Maybe it could even added to regular NPCs, where instead of select between a group of fixed answer, the player could write the answer too (using the same dictionary system), allowing to some hidden answers, events, rewards or actions for the NPC.

Interesting articles. Definetively will read them to get more ideas about the conversation system.

Like always, thanks for all these suggestions @neoshaman.

Btw, I will add more commands to the console mode and options for the vehicle interface and make a couple of videos in the next hours.

Regards.

4. danreid70

danreid70

Hi all - Loving where this asset is going!
    I have a quick question regarding the current version (which may not be an issue with the upcoming update, but for now it's plaguing me). Also, this may have been covered in this forum already, but despite my reading it on every new post, I may have missed it...

When I compile for Windows, when I run the compiled executable, the camera seems to be disconnected from the character, and only the walking controls seem to be working - no other input - not even the Escape key. I know the character walk commands are working is because I can see the character in the distance walking when I use the movement keys (WASD), but I can see not even the jump (SPACEBAR) seem to trigger. And the character camera stays in the default spot where it was generated (during the create character functionality).

When I run the game in Editor mode, everything works fine.

I am sure I'm just missing something obvious. Everything works awesome in Editor mode and I've already been customizing vehicles and characters to my extreme delight... :)

5. danreid70

danreid70

...ANNNND as per usual... After debating posting the above question... as soon as I posted it - a tiny bit of elusive inspiration hit me, and I looked in the compiled folders -- removed the "...\inputFolder\inputFile" file, and voilas! All is peachy-keen again... duh. I do vaguely remember reading something about that input file earlier, and must have saved a config and didn't realize I'd done it. So it was reading it by default... duh. :)

Seriously digging this asset!!! And can't wait to get my grubby little fingers on the next update!!! It'll be like Xmas for me when you get the multi-player component integrated!!! I'm avoiding rolling my own because I don't want to collide with the features you'll inevitably be adding! Oooooooh, I can't WAIT! (and large vehicles -- helicopter-like movement, and all the rest of the new goodies you're adding...) You're an amazing developer, sr!

Mark_01, Wetw0rx, sr388 and 2 others like this.
  6. sr388

sr388

I think it is due to the input file was from a previous version of GKC. In that version, maybe the input class had different elements (maybe some new or a previous one with a different name, I have change some of the elements in the input classes in different updates for improvement reasons).

So due to that, the build was trying to read an outdated version of the input info, and the system wasn't able to read the info properly. Like you said, the best solution is to delete the old input file and the asset will create a new one with the info in the custom axes list.

Happy to hear you were able to fix it.

Haha, thank you very much for the comment @danreid70. I really appreciate you people taking the time to give any feedback about the asset (and even more with this type).

Also....."can't wait to get my grubby little fingers".....I like your style xddd. Can't wait neither to start with the online, really curious to see how it will look.

Btw, I have been working in the console mode and the vehicle interface system. Now both are much better, contains more options, commands and actions. But right now, it is really late in my country, so I need some sleep.

So tomorrow (or in a few hours), I will make the videos for both systems (even on sunday, I will use the #screenshotsaturday).

Regards.

danreid70, tgamorris76 and Wetw0rx like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the delay to show the console mode and the vehicle interface system. I have been adjusting some elements and making some general improvements.

Also, I realized that a vehicle without radio, is not a vehicle, so I added also a radio system, using wolrd UI Canvas.

It allows to place a folder with song files (for now, in wav format) in the editor project folder or the build folder and load them into the game. There is a lot of options and buttons to use, like play, pause, stop, next song, previous song, play songs in order or randomly, repeat list of songs once it is finished or not, set the volume, set the time of the song, to set the the song to a certain moment and see the name of the song. Also, it can make and show a dynamic and unfoldable list of songs to select a certain clip.

For the vehicle interface system, I have added more examples of stats to configure, like change between weapons, see vehicle stats like health, fuel or energy, set the max value for speed, acceleration, brake, turbo, all of them inside a range.

It also allows to press the right button of the mouse to keep moving the camera and look to any interface element (by default, the lock and unlock the cursor by pressing just one the right shift key. Another press lockes the cursor again). In every camera state of the vehicle, you can configure if that view allows to unlock the cursor or not and even if the cursor is unlocked and you change the camera view in the vehicle or the player gets off, the cursor is locked again properly.

So here a few gifs:

vehicle interface 2.gif

vehicle interface 3.gif

vehicle interface 4.gif

vehicle interface 6.gif

And the video:

The console window video will be made tomorrow (as always, when I wanted to notice, the day is already over xddd).

Regards.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    uni7y, Mark_01, Razmot and 7 others like this.
  8. MrBeros

MrBeros

@sr388 do you know the steam game Empyrion?
    The docking system there is very interessting, would be great to see something like that in your kit :)

sr388 likes this.
  9. neodotca

neodotca

Nice addition, can you add this "music player" to the main hud so that the player can enjoy the music at any time during the game?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    sr388 likes this.
  10. hopeful

hopeful

It's probably set up as a separate component that you could attach to any game object, like a boombox, jukebox, radio, or whatever.

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  11. sr388

sr388

I have checked the game. Its mechanics looks nice and interesting.

The docking system, you mean to land ships on spatial stations or planets, or the action to place a little vehicle inside a bigger one?

In that case, is planned to do. Previously, in the forum we have called that the cargo system. I just wanted to make a new vehicle to work in the system (a big helicopter with place for a motorbike for example).

After that, I would like to add a big spatial ship, with a lot more of space, elevator, doors, decks, etc.... and add elements like vaccum, oxygen, pressure, radiation, etc.... And the new interface system will allow to have full control of the systems in that ship (and any other vehicle).

Of course @neodotca. Like @hopeful said, the radio is a separated system from the interface, though the interface can manage it with unity events.

The radio can be placed anywhere, like inside a house, in a device and use the electronic devices manager to interact with it, by moving the camera close to the device or viceversa.

Also, the radio can be placed in a menu if you want to.

Regards.

neodotca, tgamorris76 and hopeful like this.
  12. MrBeros

MrBeros

Sounds good, and because of your great work i bought the kit yesterday :)

By the way....wrong game , i mean HELLION ,not Empyrion. Both great Games. In HELLION you can build a station with different station-parts if you dock them together. For that , both parts have to be the same rotation and direction so you can dock on to the 2 docking points, one for each part. (im bad in english, hope i dont speak nonsense)
    If i have the time, i will make a short video to show what i mean.

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the delay, here the console mode video.

Like any regular console in other games, it allows to write text (with a list of allowed keys), delete (allowing to hold it and the text will keep being deleted), use enter to execute, use caps, shift to change the current caps state, use tab to autocomplete the command and keep pressing it to select the next command which starts with the same first letters written, use key arrows to change between all the previous commands.

Also, it allows to write parameters, it contains a command for help, to show the command list and its description and clear to remove the screen. Also, with the mouse you can move the text to see previous content.

For the video, I have added about 20 commands, but it can contain any number, to do any aciton you could need, due to it uses unity events, sending parameters with bool, amounts, both or without parameters. As you can see, it is possible to spawn objects, give inventory elements to the player, activate attachments, get ammo or weapons, change player stats, kill certain elements in the level, etc...

Here the video.

What more commands would you added to the console mode?

Also, I have been checking more about procedural generation of 3d meshes using a group of positions to make a plane with a shape (like the current map system uses) but adding a height value to extrude that plane to make a full 3d object. And this is what I got:

procedural mesh.gif
    This system will be added to the current map system and an option will allow to make 3d meshes from the planes used in every floor of the map. Like that, a 3d map of the level could be seen in the map window (of course, there will be options to use the current 2d map, 3d map, both or none of them).

This kind of 3d map are used in games like in the last doom or the saga metroid prime:

hiQgQXx.jpg

Sin título.png

Thank you very much for your purchase and your comment @Gaming-ProjectDE, I really really appreciate it.

I didn't Hellion neither. I will check that game too, to take a look at it. Definetively, the cargo/docking system will be added to vehicles soon.

I made a prototype of build structures, vehicles and similar some time ago, taking inspiration from besiege. It is very probably that system will be included in a future update adding also elements from scrap mechanic.

Lets get some coffee and back to the work.

Regards.

Mark_01, Razmot, danreid70 and 4 others like this.
  14. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - My first thoughts on the console feature are to configure it for debugging (like popping up UI that show critical values), for setting up new scenarios in real time (like in your video), and - once networking is added (or with my own networking) - to remotely create scenarios in real time. With networking, it could be like a verbose way for a game moderator to examine values, adjust, and control what happens for the player.

My thinking is that basically the console triggers events. In terms of what you have going on in the kit, I'd suggest being able to add both to inventory (storage) and personal inventory (equipment), if you don't have that already. I'd also suggest being able to "add/destroy scene," which would do an additive scene load (or destroy). This of course assumes developers are using the scene model, at least during development, in addition to spawning individual prefabs.

To get a little fancier with it, I might prefer to set it up on my end to where the console commands bring up hidden UI for making adjustments, where I have scrolling lists of objects, value ranges, and so on.

Outside of the kit's demo, I'd probably want to use the console to adjust parameters I have in my own game using events, like I'd have a "daytime hh:mm" event to change the time of day, or "weather rain" event to see how rain affects performance in a scenario, or "target faction neutral" to change a target's faction, or "bonus xp," or "quest killrats01 complete." In a networked game environment, I can slip on as a game mod and make live changes to what is happening on the client, like to conjure up a foe for my player to fight, or move them to a new scene, or complete an objective in a quest that was bugged and failing to complete.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Of course, they commands trigger events, which pretty much can do anything you can imagine (also, now I have learned how to send parameters in the invoke functions, so the customization possibilites are bigger than before).

Yeah, being able to open a UI menu with toogles, ranges and more related to maybe more advanced elements in the player or the level is very useful too. This is the first version of console mode system, but in next updates, it will contain more options and settings. The current structure is pretty solid right now.

Of course, the console will be usable in any mode, including the multiplayer.

Regards.

danreid70 likes this.
  16. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hi sr388, just wondering... with animation events like reloading and reaching or unholstering weapons can you have exposed fields where we can place our own animations. I think you use IK but it would be nice.... i have the mixamo anims and would be a shame to not use them as they are very good.

sr388 and neodotca like this.
  17. neodotca

neodotca

Congratulation!! :cool:, you have reached the top of the list of the most popular "complete projects" on the asset store!
    Now you have to stay there :p, this should not be too hard, with the new look, animations and the multiplayer mode coming in the following months! ... you're a beast!

18. hopeful

hopeful

I'm in favor of using animations, in general, but IK is a great option especially for generating a quick demo. I love the idea of using IK everywhere, in that sense. :)

neodotca, sr388 and tgamorris76 like this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Of course @tgamorris76. I want to add animations for aim too, so users can select what mode to use, animations or IK. But with animaitons, some elements would need to be added and I want to think the best way to make these additions.

So yeah, once the first wave of animations for the asset is ready and added into the asset, more will come to add new systems and improve the current ones.

Me too, I really like IK and I think it is room to improve the current IK system in the asset to add more complex task and make transitions smoother. In fact, use IK was a decision caused for the lack of animations when GKC was in an early stage.

Thanks men.I am really happy with these results. But this doesn't mean is time to relax, but to keep working and be even better than before.

Can't wait to see the future updates, get the new animations, work on new systems and new improvements. Lot of stuff I can't wait to work with.

Btw, I have the new 3d map system half done, I will try to have it ready tomorrow.

Regards.

Mark_01, Wetw0rx, neodotca and 3 others like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

New progress update.

The new 3d map system option has been added. So now, it allows to show the map in 2d or 3d mode

Like I said, this system creates these procedural meshes using the same vertex that the map part tiles uses. Like this, it has similar aspect to the map system used in doom 2016 or metroid prime series. The 3d meshes can have any shape and the height can be configured in every separated mesh.

The map camera makes a smooth transition from orthographic to perspective and vice versa. Also, every map tile has an option to generate or not the 3d mesh, and in the main map creator, it can be configured if these meshes are created or not more quickly, so you can select which map parts will have a 3d mesh and which not.

Also, I have changed a little the aspect of the map menu with a better distribution (the menus from deus ex are a good example to work), showing a bigger map and more options (of course, UI is really flexible, so you can customize it as you need).

The only part left to add is to generate the map tiles and 3d meshes in editor before start the game, as a "way to bake" these meshes.Right now they are generated at the start, though the system is quick, it is better to add this bake option.

Here some gifs:

mapa3d 1.gif

mapa3d 2.gif

mapa3d 3.gif

Here the video (it shows how the 3d meshes are created in editor using the vertices list of a map tile):

EDIT: btw, for the update 2.4e, after the current one, I will make a new demo level using one of the doom 2016 levels as example, to work on improvements for all kind of elements, like AI, weapons, player movement, etc...

This will allow to add more systems, like waves of enemies, objectives in the game, achievements for weapons to improve their stats (like kill x enemies in the head, kill x enemies with one magazine, kill x enemies with the same shoot, etc....), add new devices, etc....

Also, the rig of the new model works properly now, so the animator will start tomorrow with the new animations for the model. It everything goes right, these animations and the new model (and the armor/cloth system) will be included in 2.4e.

Finally, I am working on improve the current camera collision system to make it more precise and avoid any kind of weird or awkward behaviour.

Regards.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Mark_01, EN_Games, danreid70 and 4 others like this.
  21. Mark_01

Mark_01

Just curious how much of a pia it might be to add auto pick ups, by stepping over them rather then using a use key like " E " for Take .. some items and cases one might want to just collide with the item, like gun's, maps, health packs etc ?

22. sr388

sr388

Actually, that is already an option in the pickups. There is a field to select if the pickup is taken by interaction button or by trigger, so in this case, the pickup is automatically taken when the player step inside its trigger. Vehicles for example take all the pickups able to be taken by vehicles using automatically the trigger option.

You can make a pickup of every object with the option you need (health, energy, ammo, inventory objects, weapons, etc...), even have two gameobjects of the same pickup every of it with the button and trigger option. The field for this is Pickup Option.

upload_2018-7-9_23-20-9.png

Here you can see how it looks. In the first one all the pickups use the trigger option. In the second one, all except the map object which uses the button option.

pikcups2.gif

pikcups.gif

Also, in this case, they contain a component to show the interaction button even in trigger option, but you can remove this component (Device String Action), and the text panel won't show up. I will add an option to not use this component in case the trigger option is the selected.

Regards.

Mark_01 and tgamorris76 like this.
  23. Mark_01

Mark_01

I think you should think about raising the price 5 or 10 $ :)

danreid70 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

The bigger the price, the faster I become rich......haha, just kidding (I wish xd).

Yeah, I know the price could be higher, and that maybe some people could think there is a catch or similar for the relation between the price and the features.

But I want to keep a fair/affordable price for the asset and only increase the price when I feel the asset deserves it.

If a person or a group is going to make a game, eventually, that project will need some funds and invest on resources, and if they decide to try/use my asset for it, at least I can help them to save a little bit.

What I was thinking (and this could sound contradictory with the above), is to make a patreon for this (and other future assets).

This income would be used mainly to cover external resources that I am not unable to do by myself, like animations and models for the asset, hiring some freelancers for it.

These elements wouldn't be only to make the asset to look nicer, but to work on new systems which needs animations to work, like the melee combat, swim, climb, add hit and damage reactions, etc....(even parkour someday, mirror's edge mechanics is a pending task in my developer heart haha).

Of course, right now, there is a new 3d model and animations on process which is already covered.

Other elements that this patreon would cover is hardware, like VR and a better PC to run it properly. I would configure different goals, and that would cover the purchase of an oculus right and/or htc vive to add full support on the asset.

The rest of this patreon would be used to play bills and put food on the table, so I can work fully on this asset without need to get extra jobs.

Some other persons has already asked me to make a patreon, so I want to know your opinion. Like I said to them, I am not a money hungry person, having enough to live, pay bills, save some for the future and work as asset developer is what makes me more happy.

Of course, there would be rewards, though I need to think about them, to be fair to those people who wouldn't be on that patreon, due to it is totally 100% voluntary.

Tell me any thoughts about this.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Mark_01, EN_Games and 2 others like this.
  25. neoshaman

neoshaman

My opinion is that, despite liking the spirit, is not go my way and end up poor :D

- Increase the price now, it's already features complete so double it
    - Increase the price when you get good visual and some basic animation, keep things test dummy style (lightweight build size).
    - get a deal with the visual artists to get "showcase" spinoff:
    Multiple games demo showcase, each basically a vertical slice (one level-ish) that mimic in tone and atmosphere a well known game, with a beginning and a end (think like a short movie), but that showcase SOME the mechanics (per project) of the assets, with good quality BUT mobile lofi-ish graphics (to reduce download time and package size). AND have a SEPARATE Hirez pack, essentially letting your visual artist go nuts with quality as an UPGRADE ADD ON to one "game showcase pack". Think the unity's 3D game kits, but with broken in 3 assets, one for the basic functionality, one as a demo showcase that show the function in situation, usable as a game template, and one that is aimed at high end user. Basically you get the biggest share on the basic assets, you get equals share on the showcase assets and the artist get the bigger share on the art extension.

The benefit of that approach:
    - You actually make game, and therefore learn to make them, without the game actively consuming your time. It will allow you to test your assets in condition and learn about the difference between prototype and full game, and have to deal with stuff like basic cinematic or atmosphere staging, sound design and gameplay mixing. It will satiate your desire to make game without having to have the pressure to sell them and find the fun relatives to the competition, or to have to absolutely innovate (though some project can still highlight some of your ideas), it increase the desirability of your assets. It creates new income avenue, it minimize works because the system are already done, it's mostly about composition and art. It motivate your artist by giving them a reason to look forward for income and stretch their creative legs while still having definite clear goals.

Even though you feel like you shouldn't exploit your hard works, i was like that too. But do a favor of your future mid life crisis future self, I know you aren't him YET, but eventually you will become him. Start to think like a business man and not a hippie :D You might not like it now, but once you will become that future self you will sigh in relief. I know you were a student not long ago, it mean you are still young, energetic, idealist and free from most attachment, that haven't been hammered down too much yet, so you should capitalize on that. I have been there, I can only wish now!

sr388 and Mark_01 like this.
  26. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Selling art assets can be detrimental to an asset package and unity. People should make their own art assets so you don't have Jim Sterling crying bloody hell for the asset flipping. Packaging functionality is a good idea though and I think that could increase revenue streams for customers that only need some functionality. Overall, OPTIMIZATION and barebones that is organized solid is the best way to go imo. The default controls are extremely complicated. I think that's holding back increased sales a lot. It made me almost not buy the asset initially. Documentation also needs to be solid. No disrespect, but these things are way more important to me than art assets that will result in the same cookie cutter looks all over steam.

Once again, I respectfully disagree. I have spearheaded many small and medium sized businesses (some big ones too that you've heard of) over the past 15 years in the area that you are referring to. What I can say and I know based on my experience is that focusing on a good product and delivering what your customers need is exponentially more effective in creating a successful business (particularly in the long run) than trying to nickel and dime everything. Focus on quality of what you do best... especially at first. This asset is unlike anything else on the Asset store and what you is being suggested could mess up the whole point of what this asset is; a game changer (not making incomplete frameworks that the asset store is littered with). Stick to exactly what you are doing with the features, optimize it, improve documentation, make it bug free, and make it well organized (!!important for the number of features you have!!!). Continue to work on WHAT MATTERS FOR INDIES TO MAKE ORIGINAL GAMES WITH FUNCTIONALITY will set you apart because no other asset does that. Focusing on anything else (like art assets) is just going to give your competition time to catch on to the brilliant work you are doing and copy the general idea of your amazing framework.

drcfrx, sr388 and hopeful like this.
  27. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

There are a lot of millionaires who are hippies....you know that eat organic vegan food, go to drum circles, hackey sack, etc lol. Many of them are smart enough to make even more money if they wanted to sell out completely, but since they have what they need they stick to what they believe matters. You know how the rich stay rich? They don't get stressed about money clouding their judgement and they don't take unnecessary risks. They also own land...lots of it. This allows for clear thought and the highest level of freedom you can get, unlike most of the world that is unfortunately indentured through things like debt. These people tend to not have mid life crisis ;) Ultimately, be wise with your business, but do what makes you happy. Also, not getting a chick pregnant (at least until you're set) is probably the best thing any man can do for his financial situation and not become indentured with debt and distraction from doing you're thing.

Wetw0rx, sr388, Mark_01 and 1 other person like this.
  28. neoshaman

neoshaman

Selling the art asset is not necessarily tied to the controller itself, it's a separate compatible add on. It's just art asset pack like there is in unity store. And it's made by the artist he is working with not him. It still add value of the main asset by increasing its desirability. He would still focus on hard code.

Jim sterling isn't against bought asset either (I follow him), he is about senseless use of them. He even organized a contest around a well used asset to demonstrate this with is audience participating.

He is not doing the art asset, it's to offer a compatible revenue stream to the artist with which he want to work on. He is doing nothing here. This is about reducing the cost load of the artists on the main assets as the volume of sales might not be enough to sustain an artist. It's a symbiotic relation. It's not incompatible and does not takes anything away. Specialization is how business grew sure, that's why I advise to make the most of the new specialist he is bringing on board to diversify at low effort and cost.

It's not about indies, it's about his well being :D we always want to extract the best deal from anyone, but sometimes we have to not be so selfish and let the person grew, especially financially, so it doesn't become another broke asset because unexpected life circumstance send the financial state of the author in disarray. We lost Dyox and many good asset author due to such circumstance. Sometimes you have to advise sound business sanity. You only talk about YOUR (I mean OUR :D ) NEEDS in this post, not his.

Anyway, I don't expect him to follow those advices, they are just an example that basically scream, "you should have thought along these ideas", ie find every opportunity to build financial health. Implicitly there is the subtle idea to not depend on a single source of income and to have the different sources support each other organically, without doing much effort. Financial stability is helped by having multiple point of entry. And the idea that declining a single product to touch multiple audiences without lessening the quality yet not increase the effort.

sr388, neodotca, StevenPicard and 2 others like this.
  29. neodotca

neodotca

Yes! bug free/stability/functionality, a coder is also an artist, as he gives shape to his creation with time. But the creation is also a product, and like any other products, your just going to sells more with a good design/packaging/presentation.

I have some doubts about the "Patreon", but maybe a reward could be your time, working on a custom job for someone, not necessarily related to the asset.

Everybody have his own agenda for their games, but the FPS and TPS mode should always get the priority, by far the most popular modes. And you already know... i can't wait to try the multiplayer. :D

sr388 likes this.
  30. Mark_01

Mark_01

I would maintain that as example for sure when you put say multiplayer in .. then you could increase the price.

Question is there Vendor shops in yet ? and I could say vendor shops/crafting/melee/magic .. This would in my mind deserve a price increase.

Then again, people go this is really good value for the money and that is far better, then " I got ripped off, not worth the money " :D

When people see a developer is engaged with his customers, they will be more willing to spend more on a package that
    the developer is fully engaged in and has a road map and listens to all feed back .. well this is worth something above the
    " base price "

People have to put in their own art as well .. can't really publish a game with the core assets that come with a package.

I agree with @neodotca " I have some doubts about the "Patreon" " I think it is possible to set up a pay one time as well.
    I think there is something like paypal you can set up for " donations ( one time pay ) " that might also be good. ( and put the link into the read me ) But people being people how many will give your extra$$ if they don't need to ? that might be an experiment all on its own. :rolleyes:

The problem with some one paying more to get a " feature or feature set " in can be good if* it will be good for most people use cases.

Another possible way might be to do some interrogations that " most " people have to increase the perceived value of
    an asset. Like say GKC integrated with playmaker ( for what ever reason ) .. would give value for those who use playmaker.

Still the end point, it is good to see some people defend the point that GKC could do with a price increase at this point. The way I feel form when I got GKC on the jan ? sale .. Since then you have done a ton of new features, personally if I was looking now, knowing all the work you put in since then, I would part with an extra 5$ no thinking :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    neodotca and sr388 like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I have thought sometimes about find a 3d artist developer to kind of make a shared package combining GKC and characters/level parts from the other developer, but most of times, I prefered to keep things simple and not have to worry or be dependent from other persons.

What I agree with you is about make a demo showcase being like a minigame or part of what could be a bigger one, to fill any possible gap of the asset to cover from the most basic, to other useful or must have elements in a game, and have all that covered. In this way, this demo could show better the possibilities of the asset. And after this demo is done, make more to show the different aproximations GKC can achieve in different genres.

And this is planned to do a soon as possible.

Hahaha, I totally understand what you mean, and yeah, sometimes, for my comments, I can look like a hippie. It is like when one person starts to work and he doesn't know the real value of his time or how much should obtain for a job. Every person learns that eventually, soon or later haha.

Hahaha, very good comment. I try to stick to that philosophy, trying to make of what you like and know, your work, though some people say that this ends soon or later, for now, these months/years have been the better in my life.

Yeah, you are right. For this kind of asset, pleople are more concerned about functionality than art, where I am more focused (believe me @ron-bohn, I am really aware about the doc and the scheme controls and I am woking on it).

I think @neoshaman was talking more about this in the "eye-candy" factor sense, which is important too, something I am taking care of too.

I am agree with you here too. I really feel this asset is different from others in the store and I like that. It is one of the reasons why I keep working on this way. At the beginning I wasn't sure to were to go with GKC, but once I started to add other functionalities beyond the controller itself, I realized that work in a framework was the best option.

So I won't change that direction.

Like I said, maybe at some point, I could search another asset developer of 3d content to work on a shared asset (maybe once the asset core is totally finished and more integrations are started).

I see that view of point too. Of course, the best is always have enough to not being worried about anything else, so your head is free from bad thoughts and it is easier to focus on the work.

But in my case, you don't have to worry. Even if I would need to find another full time job to live, I would never leave the asset development, neither GKC. That would only affect to the amount of time dedicated to it.

Yeah, programming and artist and same, but different .... but still same haha (meme alert), but I get what you mean.

Yeah, when a little group of certain features are gathered (or many of regular features), that can increases the value of an asset. Like I said, an increase is only made when I feel the asset deserves it due to an important update.

I also understand the opinions about patreon, and like you said, patreon itself is an experiment, due to people pay it even if they are not obligated to it.

Of course, the tiers would be low, probably between 1 and 10-20 dollars, with fair tiers, nothing similar to pay 100 dollars and your feature will be added ignoring the rest. That would interfere with the regular flow of work on this asset, something I don't want to happen.

I really appreciate these comments, and I like they are different opinions, to get a bigger picture of this matter.

Thanks again to all of you. For now, I will keep thinking about the patreon. But don't worry, with or without it, I won't stop working on GKC ever, a lot more is comming.

Regards.

32. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well not exactly lol.

I was using me as a prototypical user, what do I want with asset?
    - I want an easy way to access and test the core functionality in a clean way, it should be possible to download it straight in my current project.
    - I want to be able to access the asset easily, and download it without having to clean it too much or waiting too long for the dl.
    - I want to see what's possible to do with the asset, ie have asbtract test scene without any distraction. Basically like it is currently, maybe more organized "in a tour" rather than a simple sandbox.

Then I consider other users
    - they want to be convince the asset would work to achieve their vision. And if they need this asset then it's likely it's in the style of existing game. At least their game has some shooting and third person character, like many game in that genre.
    - They want to be convince that the dev know what he is doing, and therefore it must looks like something they know.
    - they want to feel like the asset is polish, so they will look at how the project present itself.

What I propose is basically a way to separate concerns in different use case assets:

- keep the core asset lightweight, by having only the basic features presented clearly in abstract test scene with no distraction. I don't want to have to dl 4gb like the 3d game kit, just for the moving platform, and having to realize that it run poorly on my computer, which mean a lot of time is spend adjusting parameter and getting rid of stuff that mess the project, and it also mean you cannot just import it in a project you have already started. It's for those who know what they want and want to get to the point.

- have multiple secondary showcase projects, that still have the complete asset, but organized each around the single demo showcase added. They are basically just extended test scene, but presented in situation of a real game, to help those in a vision see what they might achieve and how it is achieved. Ie it's less abstract and answer many question right away.
    That's why many user ask can I make X like in game Y. By showing a game they can evaluate that directly. And it will attract those who want a game close to the showcase and gave them the template to start from, and also double as a tutorial (how to remake the demo), so they can learn from it. But still it should be able to work on any platform (hence competent mobile type of rendering), people might accuse the whole asset to not work if the visual are too heavy, even though it might not be the cause.
    Visual elements of these assets can also be recycle partially in the main lightweight asset, to increase the visual professionalism, but not so much to overload it, so it's a kind of double investment benefit. A single showcase game, just keep the asset light enough and focused.

- Sells AAA visual packs per game showcase, to show what visual they can accomplish, for those hook on the asset and their dream and want to get further. Of course reserve this for popular showcase.

And more importantly, it allow @sr388
    - to have experience making many type of game, without the pressure of a full game, and without adding more work that need to be done (it's an application of the asset).
    - to have in situ but super focused test case for his asset and find uncovered need of a real projects, which will increase the QOL of the entire ecology.
    - make money by having multiple variation of the same assets with better focus for their user.
    - get a partnership with a visual artist while preventing that artist to be financial burden, by offering him more opportunities.

It's not just the eye candy. I was trying to support all the needs, hence a tier system of asset proposition. From lightweight core, to showcase variations and AAA visual extension.

sr388 and Mark_01 like this.
  33. Mark_01

Mark_01

I like the ideas @neoshaman has in the above post.

In particular I really like the idea of show casing different features and templates for different types of games,
    as different scenes But re-using/re-purpose the assets and art packs that are in the asset already.
    Like one scene could be " in space " and a space station so you could have many different things in that,
    mainly showing the no gravity and wall walking features.

Also interesting idea " get a partnership with a visual artist while preventing that artist to be financial burden, by offering him more opportunities. "

One way to do this would be to make an agreement for work and it could be that the pay off would be a very visible
    read me, that thanks the artist and gives all the contact info for that person. So they would be getting real promotion
    through a place that is unique to them. I would think that students and free lancers would go for this.

You would have to set it up that quality is important, but since it is to help them promote their work .. it is a good trade off,
    as long as you are not put into a situation to wait for them. But I guess with coding there is always something to do. :)

sr388 likes this.
  34. sr388

sr388

I didn't say it properly, sorry for that. The eye candy was only about the art part, not the demos.

That is where I am totally agree with you, about have different scenes/demos/builds to showcase different aspects/genres/type of games. This is planned since some time ago.

And that is preciselly where I will focus on next updates, at the same time that the new model and animations are added, new demos will come as well.

What I was thinking, similar to what you said, is make certain features of GKC separated assets, so an user can take just that system they need instead of the whole framework (lets say the input system, or the map, or vehicles), etc.... So at the same time GKC contains all the current elements (and every new update of course), there are separated and more little assets with concrete systems.

I will think about the visual and art elements later in the future, since it is something I have been thinking from time to time (and you have given me more to think about).

Yeah, same here. I just need some time to think and design some little levels where put some mechanics, elements, maybe little story and a few objectives. Some of these levels would represent actual parts of real games and other would be just done from scratch.

About the visual artist, I am not sure it would be that easy to find one without a payment or part of the store income. And for that I would search a freelancer instead. But before that, at least I need to make first one of these demos showcase with placeholders, to know exactly what elements are necessary.

But yes, these suggestions are really interesting as different aproximations for the future of this asset, thanks again for them, they really help to get different perspectives and think a lot about all around this work and the evolution of assets.

Regards.

35. neoshaman

neoshaman

Don't do that, have inspiration, but don't do that. :p

ron-bohn likes this.
  36. joshua_42

joshua_42

Greetings sr,
    quick question, how do I make my character (and vehicles) have spherical-gravity (walk around planets, etc)?
    Cheers!

37. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Tuned out for a bit but there's always something good to read on this forum.
    I've been reworking and testing my ship cargo system and doing research for my project lately but I'm eagerly anticipating some of the features mentioned. I agree with a price increase but if you start a patreon, I'll be first in line bro. Regardless, just keep doing an awesome job with GKC and good things will come. You've got major skills man. I'm more worried that you'll be hired by a big studio or a government agency lol.

ron-bohn and tgamorris76 like this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Don't worry, if it happens, it would be similar to the mansion demo (using the map of resident evil 1 and using elements of the asset there), maybe making a similar level part, and placing similar tasks (like I said, looking at games like doom or prey, getting ideas for a mission or objective). But the idea is interconnect different elements and prefabs of the asset to make some minutes of organic gameplay.

To configure and object as circumnavigable, it needs a mesh collider (if the object hasn't a regular shape) and the tag "sphere".

When the gravity power is used and the player finds that surface, he will walk around it. Same for vehicles.

There is a component in the asset to configure a gravity direction for the player (and vehicles) using triggers. It is called SetGravity and you can find an example of it in the Standard demo, the gameObject is called "Circumnavigation Spheres", it contains a few spheres configured with this component.

I will also add an option in the gravity system itself to configure the initial gravity direction before the game starts (currently, the player can only start with the default gravity direction). And same will be made for vehicles.

There is some new elements and options that will be added to the whole gravity system in GKC.

Haha, thank you very much @Wetw0rx, for your opinnion and support. I am really excited to finish the current update, so I can start with new elements and make more improvements (every video I see of star citizen reminds more and more the cargo system, I can't wait to make bigger vehicles and add test that feature).

Regards.

neodotca, Mark_01 and joshua_42 like this.
  39. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

If you start a patreon sr388, will you offer scripting services?

40. sr388

sr388

In case the patreon is done, that option wouldn't be included, due to the amount of time that custom script reward would take away from the main development of the asset, slowing down (for more or less time) that work, something I don't want to happen. Also, I want these rewards to be fair for people who simply doesn't want to participate on it (something totally understandable). Probably these rewards would include stuff like:
    • Access to a repository with daily/weekly updates
    • Access to early betas of updates
    • Include one or more voted features from a list to next update (working along with the regular polls of this forum, but with different options)
    • Join a discord group
    • Etc...
    Maybe in a future new tiers could be added, but the idea is to avoid take away time of the development of GKC, at least for now. Also, even in the case this patreon is not created, I would like to bring the above elements too.

Btw, I am just finishing the remaining elements of the todo list for the update 2.4d, which are elements to polish, options to add, something to improve and a few fixes.

Regards.

41. hopeful

hopeful

Just wanted to point out that it is possible (not very likely, maybe, but possible) that someone might want to pay for scripts that would add a new feature to GKC (or perhaps a new project for you). In that case, it could be like someone who pays an artist for non-exclusive work, thereby allowing the artist to resell the contract work on the UAS.

Not accepting contracts definitely gives you more freedom, but it could also be that accepting a very specific contract that gives you the right to resell could be mutually beneficial at some point.

The most important thing, of course, is to keep it all fun and fresh, so tasks can be tackled with good spirit. :)

neodotca, tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  42. neoshaman

neoshaman

Yep basically contract that allow you to work in depth on a feature set of gkc, in depth, and benefit everyone. Basically it's like an extended method of voting for the next features, but with some more context of a project.

neodotca, tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Mmmm I see. Yes, it has sense that if those new scripts or additions made throught rewards are related to the asset itself, it could be useful for everyone, not just that person who asked it.

My main concern about this was to avoid to have to work on elements totally different from GKC or that weren't even usable on it, taking away developing time from the asset.

So maybe a reward like that could be added with the condition that the coding tasks or new features are related directly to GKC.

I will think about it, thanks for the suggeston :)

Regards.

44. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Hi, I see there is a flight mode with this asset, is it possible to have a flying character in 3rd and first person mode. I mean like Superman? One that can fly then land and walk etc then take off again..Thanks.

45. sr388

sr388

Hi @Daniel-Talis.

Yes, the player is able to fly in both views. But I think you are asking if there is an action to set if the player enables/disables his flying mode.

For this, there a player mode window, which is opened and closed with a key, to select between regular, fly, jetpack and sphere mode (similar to morph sphere of metroid).

But an action can be created to directly change between regular and flying mode, to take off and lan by pressing a button.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  46. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Cargo system and some 6DoF controls would really make my year.... :)

would even be willing to pay for those, tried recreating mine using a visual scripting package but things reset every load.... a bit ungainly. Anyway a cargo system that is integral to GKC would be first on my list of things I'd like.... opens up exploration gameplay on distant worlds...

sr388 likes this.
  47. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Thanks, is there an example of the flight mode in any of the many videos?

sr388 likes this.
  48. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I really want to start with a ship like that, which contains all kind of elements to interact, like doors, elevator, security cameras, different usable weapon on different parts of the ship which can be used separately, decks, the interface system, engines room, cargo, etc... and add enviroment elements like pressure, vacuum, zero gravity and gravity inside the ship along with zero gravity mode for the player according to if he is inside or outside (the gravity will be able to be enabled or disabled inside the ship as well), ....

For this I want to check more videos of star citizen to see how examples of how they manage ships, landings, control, gravity, etc...

No, I think I haven't recorded a video witht the flight mode, but you can try it in the demo (by default J opens the player modes menu, there you can select the fly mode).

Though that system has room to be improved. I want to add a better control and animations (currently it uses IK to work), to get different styles, like supermand, iron man, etc... and add more effects to the camera, sound and particles to give a better speed feeling.

Btw, progress update.

I keep working in the update, like I said, I am just polishing elements. A lot of code elements have been improved over the enterily asset, especially the whole pickups system, with a more simple and quick code to check who is taking the object, the amount to pick and the amount to leave in the pickup in case the character doesn't need more.

For example if the player has 80/100 of health and gets a health pickup with 30, the player's health will be 100 and the pickup will have 10 units remaining. This is applied to the rest of pickups that before were taken enterily, like ammo, energy and fuel. Of course, the previous system already checked to add only the necessary amount to the stat applied (like not set the health on 110 in the previous case, but only 100).

There will be an option to configure if pickups with reamining amount are left on the level or just removed when they are used the first time.

Also, another option added to the pickups system is the ability to hold the interaction button x seconds (by default 1) to take all the pickups around the player (similar to borderlands). Of course, you can still pick them one by one.

improved pickups system1ç.gif

improved pickups system3.gif

improved pickups system5.gif

improved pickups system6.gif

improved pickups system7.gif

Here the video:

More commands have been added to the console, related to the current vehicle driven by the player, like destroy it, set damage, take fuel and energy, or give some of these elements to that vehicle, set invincible state, if the energy and fuel is infinite or not, etc...

Another element added is a limit to the amount of ammo carried in every weapon. This will be the condition to how much ammo is tacken when the player gets a pickup.

Update is comming (soon).

Regards.

49. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

Looks great as always! Is there an easy way to add the item icon to the side when an item is picked up?

What can we expect in the update after this one?

neodotca likes this.
  50. sr388

sr388

Yes, it could be added easily. In the pickups system can be added a field to configure if a texture icon is used and add the image UI component which will contain that texture in the text prefab used when a pickup is taken. Also, the amout could be show inside the icon if a texture is used.

It barely could take 5 minutes to add it. It can be done for this udpate. Also, except the ammo types, there are icons for all the pickups in the asset and new ones can be made for new models (to replace the placeholders for example) in seconds with the icon capture system made for this kind of purposes, like icons for inventory, the weapon wheel selection, etc...including options to make the background of the icon transparent or not, showing only the object itself.

Regards.

Mark_01, neodotca, DrOcto and 2 others like this.