Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] G2U 2.1.13 - Use Google Spreadsheets in Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Shane-C, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Vibs_appit

Vibs_appit

Hey Shane,

I am trying to use GoogleFu with Unity 5 RC2, but they now have removed the AddComponent(string) api and strictly require the type. If the type is not known, then I can use Type.GetType(string) to find the type, but this won't work in the scenario with AOT / il2cpp builds. The reason it won't work is that they decoupled the dependencies so that they can only include what's been used in the build and not the whole api and if that particular type is not mentioned anywhere else in any script, it won't be included in the build and would result in throwing a runtime exception. I don't know how I can fix this on my end (I am not exactly a veteran in programming). The problem occurs in line 151 of the GoogleFuEditor class.

I hope you can help me with this soon.

tosiabunio likes this.
  2. Shane-C

Shane-C

All I can say right now is "We're working on it"
    I have the latest Unity 5.0.0f2 and while it does still work for now as a deprecated function, it will be broken very soon.
    I have tried a few initial ideas to no avail, so it looks like we are going to have to take another approach to adding freshly generated classes as components.

As for the AOT / IL2CPP builds, this is something that happens in the Editor Utility. This shouldn't be a problem in that regard. (At least that's how I understand it)

For now, keep using the deprecated functionality. By the time they remove it, we'll have a solution.

Shane

3. Vibs_appit

Vibs_appit

Thanks for replying quickly. I was going through the blog post when Unity made this announcement and in comments, I read the following suggestion by one commenter. Maybe this is one possible direction.

4. Shane-C

Shane-C

The problem is that GoogleFu generates the class dynamically based on the spreadsheet. There is no concrete type ahead of time to map to. We are certainly working on the issue, and I'm confident we will have a new approach in place for when the old functionality is deprecated.

5. Vibs_appit

Vibs_appit

OK. Great! I am gonna keep the unity-updated version of editorinternal class and keep on working.

6. Vibs_appit

Vibs_appit

btw, do you have any video tutorials as to how properly setup the GoogleFu ?

7. Shane-C

Shane-C

Not yet.

Good news though, I've figured out how to fix the Unity 5 compatibility issue. We've integrated it into the new version that we'll be rolling out soon.

8. Shane-C

Shane-C

I am inviting all of you who have purchased GoogleFu to a private beta of the next version, GoogleFu2.
    There have been a lot of great additions and the code has been completely redone from the ground up to be much faster and more reliable.

If you would like to be included in this preview, please email me at contact@litteratus.net and be sure to include your invoice number from Unity so I can verify your purchase. I will send you a copy of the Beta immediately.

9. Shane-C

Shane-C

GoogleFu v 1.0.15 is in the Asset Store!

This version only solves Unity 5 issues in the codebase. It is now completely Unity 5 compatible.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  10. zangad

zangad

Hi Shane,
    Is GoogleFu2 planned to be a free upgrade for existing customers? I requested access to the beta, but I'm trying to decide whether to switch over to GoogleFu2 now or continue using the version I already have a license for. Thanks!

11. Shane-C

Shane-C

GoogleFu 2 will be a free upgrade when it is released. The beta is not 100% complete, or stable yet.. so use it at your own risk for now.

EDIT: We are also doing a slight rebranding. Once released, the plugin will be called Google2u :)

Vibs_appit likes this.
  12. Korindian

Korindian

Hi,

I'm a prospective customer looking into using GoogleFu (Google2u) as a database solution instead of using ScritableObjects. I'd like to export to JSON files with it and use Json .NET to import them at runtime.

I browsed this thread and noticed that there were some improvements being planned for the JSON exporter, and I can see some options in your screenshots for Google2u. I have 3 questions:

1. Is the "Convert Cell Arrays" option in "JSON Formatting Options" used for outputting numbers as ints and floats rather than as strings?

2. In November last year, someone requested the option of having the ID (index) appear as the object name rather than having "googlefu_id": "object name" appear in the file. Has this option been implemented by any chance?

3. Is it still not possible to have an enum type?
    Edit: Just realized Json .NET can convert strings to enums

Thanks for your time.

13. Shane-C

Shane-C

The "Convert Cell Arrays" option above has been reworded for clarity. It's now "Convert Cell Array to String" and it works like this: Normally if you have a string array or any other array type in a cell, we will automatically make it an array in JSON. However you have the option to disable that, and process the entire cell as one string if you like by enabling this option.

If you use the second row as your "Type" row, it will automatically be recognized as such, and as long as the rest of the data in the column is valid for that type then it will export as that type (ints will be ints, floats will be floats, etc). Strings will always remain strings, and be enclosed in quotes.

The column ID's are used as the names. I'm pretty sure this was a bug on our end at the time but the JSON data is well formed now.

Yeah, stick with the strings. Figuring out how to define enums generically is a bit out of scope. We have never come to a consensus as to how to get it to work accurately and intuitively.

The following screenshots are from the latest version of the beta (which you would have access to if you were to purchase GoogleFu right now and send us a request).

You can see the second row is marked as "Type" instead of "2". If all of the columns in the row are of valid types, then it automatically picks this up and sets it for you.

The JSON Formatting Options are shown below:

Escape Unicode Strings will convert any Unicode characters to the escaped ascii counterpart. This does bloat the JSON considerably, but for maximum compatibility it is an option.

Convert Cell Arrays to String was explained above. Although there isn't an example in the screenshots, if the option is checked it will consider a cell array as one string. Generally you wouldn't want to do this, but again it's an option if you decide you wanted to parse your cells manually.

Export Generated Class will write a DatabaseName.cs file that you can use in your project. It's generated along with the JSON file and ready for the JSON.NET serializer.

You can also generate a preview of what the JSON will look like once exported as shown below:

The example worksheet is named "Demeanor", and you can see that the object is "DemeanorRow" designating that each of the entries is a row in your spreadsheet. Each entry is a ColumnID : CellValue pair.

You can also generate a preview of the generated class:

You would simply feed the DemeanorDatabase class into the JSON.NET serializer along with the generated Demeanor.Json file, and you are ready to go!

We plan to have examples of all of this, as well as the other export options ship along with Google2u.

tosiabunio likes this.
  14. Korindian

Korindian

I appreciate the thorough and clear explanations. I actually wanted to see an example of the exported JSON and you provided that in one of the screenshots, thank you.

I'll definitely be buying this asset soon. I realize now that I'll have to adjust some of my code to suit a spreadsheet format for data, as there doesn't seem to be a way to do classes within a class for data in a spreadsheet. Just a couple more questions:

1. This isn't crucial, but for organizational purposes, would it be possible to have and remember different file export paths for each workbook or sheet? As it is now, everything goes into one folder, correct?

2. With your "DemeanorRow" example, if the worksheet is named "Demeanor", can you have the option of not adding "Row" to the object name in both the JSON file and the generated class (leaving it as just "Demeanor")? If it were just me looking at the file, having "Row" added wouldn't be a problem, but I plan to let players mod the JSON files and it would be nice not to have "Row" added to the object name in every single file as it wouldn't have any meaning to them.

Thanks again.

15. Shane-C

Shane-C

Each sheet gets it's own subfolder within the export path for organizational purposes.

This is where you would have to do a little customizing yourself. Out of the box our aim is to be as universally compatible as possible. The reason for the *Row postfix is to ensure uniqueness among the names, so that there will not be any collisions in the data when generating classes. Since GoogleFu ships with the source, it is easy to customize it to your own personal needs. I feel if this were a supported feature it would add unnecessary complexity, as most users will never need such advanced features.

All that being said, it would take only a couple changes in the code to apply whatever formatting you like, and I will certainly assist you in this.

16. Korindian

Korindian

Understood. Thanks for taking the time to explain in detail.

17. Shane-C

Shane-C

Just FYI: All those who are having issues with GoogleFu at the moment, From Google themselves:

March 13, 2015 7:29:00 AM PDT
    We're investigating reports of an issue with Google Sheets. We will provide more information shortly.
    Affected users will notice errors and latency when accessing Google Sheets.

Unfortunately for GoogleFu 1.x users, this issue is going to cause a hang in Unity. For the time being, I recommend you remove GoogleFu from the project entirely if you are having issues (Or, just don't open GoogleFu from the window and you shouldn't encounter an issue).

Google2u beta users, I have a fix committed to the beta branch.

If you are not currently a Google2u beta tester, and would like to be, just email contact@litteratus.net and provide your invoice number for GoogleFu, I will send you a copy of the latest beta!

Thanks

18. Vibs_appit

Vibs_appit

Hi Shane,

I was wondering if there are any workaround for the above issue or it's been taken care of. If not, what is the approx timeline we are looking at for a solution?

Thanks,
    Rohan

19. Shane-C

Shane-C

Sorry for the lack of update. The issue was resolved by Google a couple hours after posting. Everything should be fine now.

20. bererton

bererton

Hi, I just bought the original GoogleFu, and had one question. It looks like trying to log into a Google Apps commerical account doesn't seem to work, but a normal unpaid google account does. I don't suppose this is something you'll support in Google2u? Not a big deal, just wasn't sure why it wasn't working.

In any case, looking forward to trying out the beta of Google2u.

21. Shane-C

Shane-C

I wasn't aware that there was a difference between the two as far as the API is concerned. I'll look into it.

EDIT: It seems the commercial account has 2 step auth enabled by default. Generating a password solved the issue

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  22. denlee0710

denlee0710

Hi, I ran into a problem where I cannot reset import file generated Paths at all. The first time I clicked automatically generate paths, but then I changed my mind and want to move the folders. After clicking on the folder icon and selecting the folder I want the imported file location to be, nothing changed. The path is still Asset/GoogleFuGen/.....

Is there any way to reset the settings?

23. Shane-C

Shane-C

Keep in mind for GameObject Database you need to point to a location that ends in "/Resources" for the resources directory, and "/Editor" for the editor directory. Same thing with the Static Class, you need to point to a "/Resources" directory for those. The rest of the output directories aren't limited to this.

If this doesn't solve your issue, I need to know the exact paths you are trying to set it to, so I can try to reproduce the issue. Also are you on a Mac or PC?

24. denlee0710

denlee0710

I wasn't pointing at an /Resources directory for my static db export. Once I did so everything was ok.

I have another problem with exporting JSON objects. For some reason the "/" slash was included as part of the filename, so the exported file name was "workbookname/sheetname.json" instead of "sheetname.json" under the "workbookname" folder. I did uncheck combining sheets in the export option and I am on MacOS.

For now I am just manually fixing the error by correcting the file name and moving it to the correct place.

Edit: Also, for JSON export options, is it possible to include an option so that the exported object is a dictionary of dictionaries instead of a list of dictionaries?
    What it is now:
    [{"column0":"row1ID","column1":cellData1, "column2":cellData2}, {"column0":"row2ID"....}]
    Structure I'm thinking:
    {"row1ID": {"column1":cellData1, "column2":cellData2....}, "row2ID":{.....} }
    So that, similar to staticDB usage, we can grab the entire row with the ID, instead of having to restructure the imported object in code on all imports.
    This would be a nice feature to have on the upcoming GoogleFu2.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  25. Shane-C

Shane-C

This is strange behavior. I'll have to look into it. I'm already working with a MacOS beta tester who is helping me iron out some of the issues on that OS, as I don't have a Mac to test with myself.

The JSON exporter has become more robust in the number of options for export in Google2u... and we are getting closer to releasing each day.

26. Exbleative

Exbleative

Hi Shane,
    Did you update the free version? I've just tried to login using my Google credentials and it hangs in Unity 5.

Regards,
    Jay

27. Shane-C

Shane-C

Jay,
    The free version that was once available through the asset store has been discontinued. There was a policy change that forced us to either change the free version or pull it, and due to the terms we decided to pull it. It is still offered as a free download from our website.
    I'm fairly certain we updated both versions to 1.0.15, but I'll have to double check to make sure when I get home later this evening, something may have gone wrong, it was about month ago when we last updated. Email me at contact@litteratus.net and I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get a chance to check it.

28. Shane-C

Shane-C

GoogleFu 2.0 has been released!

We have rebranded the plugin name to G2U, but it's the same ol' GoogleFu you know and love.
    The UI has underwent an enormous overhaul, and after 2 months of beta testing (preceded by many months of development), we feel that it's stable enough to release to the masses.

Main bullet points:
    • Login, Spreadsheet Retrieval, and Export have all been put on their own threads. No more freezing the Editor while we process your spreadsheets!
    • Edit / Update your spreadsheet cells directly from the G2U plugin in Unity
    • GUI has underwent a massive redesign.
    • Better Spreadsheet validation. It's much easier to spot an error in the spreadsheet before attempting to export
    • JSON, XML, and CSV exporters all have an in-editor preview of exported data

Still on the TODO list:
    • Scriptable Object database
    • Update the PDF documentation (There is documentation built into the plugin now)
    • Video Tutorials on using G2U
    The Free version of G2U has also been updated on our website!

Download the FREE version here!

29. denlee0710

denlee0710

Thanks for the update! Will updating my GoogleFU to 2.0 break existing integrations? I noticed the public documentation has not been updated.

30. Shane-C

Shane-C

G2U will not break any existing functionality*. Some of the settings have been moved, such as where you set the Game Object Database, and Export Paths, but once you have those set up, everything else should remain the same.

The public documentation is taking a back seat to a couple of things right now, we'll have it updated soon enough. Meanwhile the documentation integrated into the plugin itself should suffice.

*there is one small issue with newlines and CSV/NGUI output that we are working to remedy tonight. As well as the NGUI export options being non-existent (How did we miss that??). We'll be releasing 2.0.2 very soon to remedy those bugs. Also, Playmaker support has not been tested as thoroughly as we'd like. And finally, as one of our customers just brought up in an email, Column Headers now respect case. This could pose an issue with previously generated databases and pre-existing code accessing them. We're working on this as well.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  31. Shane-C

Shane-C

G2U 2.0.2 has been uploaded (Free version will be uploaded soon)

This version fixes issues with line breaks in CSV and NGUI exports
    Introduced a Legacy option for exporting. The option fixes compatibility with old GoogleFu 1.x exports where the column names were forced to be lowercase. If you need your column headers to be lowercase, you need to check the option in the Legacy Export Options.
    Also fixed numerous Playmaker export issues.

32. Shane-C

Shane-C

G2U 2.0.3 has been uploaded

This fixes a path issue with Playmaker
    Fixes an issue when using Void rows.

tosiabunio likes this.
  33. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

This looks great and exactly what I need for my next project.

I'd love to try out your free version.... And as I am writing this, I just noticed up above that you said it would updated soon. Welp! I look forward to when that happens!

All the best for development!

34. antonyip

antonyip

ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
    System.IO.Path.Combine (System.String path1, System.String path2) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Path.cs:127)
    Google2u.Google2uGUIUtil.GetBool (System.String in_boolID, Boolean in_defaultBool)
    Google2u.Google2uAccountWorkbook.DrawGUIList (Google2u.EditorGUILayoutEx in_layout)
    Google2u.Google2u.DrawWorkbooksGUI ()
    Google2u.Google2u.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I'm getting this issue after logging into my account. Is there a way i can clear my login credentials?

35. Shane-C

Shane-C

Well this one is new. I'll look into it right away. I'm already working on a fix for some JSON issues so I'll add this to the queue. Would you mind sharing which characters potentially caused this? (***Don't type your username or password here!)

In the meantime, if g2u is drawing the credentials gui you can uncheck auto-login and save credentials. That should clear your saved login information. If that doesn't work, you'll need to dig into the registry a bit. (Hopefully you are on Windows, I have no idea how the Mac does this)

You are going to want to do the following:
    Windows Key + R
    Type in: regedit
    Click OK. Accept any warning dialogs
    In Regedit, navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor [Your Version].x
    G2U uses folder paths as the keys, look for the path to your project.
    Look for the key that ends with \username_[random string] and \password_[random string].
    It is safe to delete these keys entirely. That will clear out all credentials for the project.

36. antonyip

antonyip

Hi, I'm not too sure which was it, but it tried to grab all my workbooks and store it in the database causing my registry to be bloated. I figured out that it was a bad idea to do it all over again, and thus i used the manual function instead now which works perfectly fine.

I have no idea how many spreadsheets I have in the account, but would guess around 50-100 of them.

Also, the bug was on the free versionof G2U. Unity version 5.0.2. Windows 7.

G2UError.png

37. Shane-C

Shane-C

While that might seem like a bad thing, it's really not that big of a deal. The windows registry is.. well.. pretty insanely huge as it is. A couple hundred (thousand?) keys isn't a huge deal. Especially when you understand how they are accessed.

I always recommend setting up a Google account for your project, and using that to create your spreadsheets. This will not only making your G2U experience a lot more pleasant, but if something happens to the account, it wont be tied directly to your main Gmail account.

I'm in the middle of doing some JSON updates to G2U. A new version will be released soon addressing some issues there. The Free version will get the update as well, so keep an eye on your console log and update when it tells you to.

tosiabunio likes this.
  38. Shizola

Shizola

Hi, is G2U compatible with unity 4.6? The release notes state that it's backwards compatible, but on the asset store it states Unity 5 is required. When I try to import the package I get the error "Error while importing package: Package has unknown format."

39. Shane-C

Shane-C

Technically it is. I had to upload the version I built with Unity5 as per upcoming asset store submission guidelines. There are a couple of workarounds for legacy users. One is to import it into a Unity 5 project, and then simply drag and drop the G2U folder into your 4.6 project. The other is to email contact@litteratus.net and supply your reciept from the Asset Store for verification, We'll get you a copy built directly from Unity 4.x that will import directly into your project.

40. Shizola

Shizola

Thanks for the fast reply Shane, I'll try to import it myself to save you some bother.
    Cheers.

41. Shane-C

Shane-C

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

( 5/26/2015 ) Google has shut down the authentication protocol that G2U was using to access Google Docs. Until we can update to OAuth 2.0, G2U will be unable to log in to Google.

Until then, use the Manual workbooks.

We will keep you posted when a resolution is found. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Shane

42. Bioniss

Bioniss

Thanks for the update Shane, was just about to post here about authentication woes we are having.

- Toby

43. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

It's a bummer as I don't want to make my documents public :(

44. Shane-C

Shane-C

Yeah, it's super unfortunate. While publishing doesn't necessarily make them open for all to see, they are still accessible if you have the URL. For confidential documents this is a problem. We recognize it, and are working on a fix.

In the meantime, if any of you can get OAuth 2.0 working inside of the Unity Editor, I'd really appreciate (And pay for) your help.

tosiabunio likes this.
  45. Bioniss

Bioniss

If anyone is stuck and looking for another quick solution in the interim, you can whip up an xlsx -> json converter using node.js and the node-xlsx package. It took me about thirty mins or so to get a script working to spec. Download directly from gdocs to xlsx and off you go.

46. Shane-C

Shane-C

UPDATE!

( 5/27/2015 ) In the wee hours of the morning, I was able to crack the code of OAuth2. Unfortunately it requires some things to become very private, so more work needs to be done. I expect to have a resolution to this issue by tonight.

Kellyrayj likes this.
  47. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

K thanx for the update Shane. Thanx for all of your hard work!

48. Shane-C

Shane-C

UPDATE!

( 5/27/2015 ) G2U version 2.0.4 has been uploaded. (Free version has been updated as well)
    Key notes:
    This version replaces the old ClientLogin protocol with OAuth2. This means G2U no longer stores your credentials (Yay!) and you will be able to log in again (Yaaaay!)
    Newtonsoft.JSON.Net.dll has been added as a dependency (Boooo!). Unfortunately the OAuth2 protocol depends on it, so I had to bring it back. This is a common dependency, so if another plugin uses it, and you get conflicts, then the version included with G2U should be safe to remove.

I had a tough choice to make with this update. There was little to no battle hardening done with the build. It was a shotgun approach to get it uploaded asap, since Google decided to pull the plug on ClientLogin. This means all of my loyal customers get a working copy right now.. but there will most likely be bugs in the system. Also, the documentation still references the old way of logging in. Since I am in the middle of updating the documentation anyway, all new docs will be written for the new method (Although it's really self explanatory).

Once again I apologize for dropping the ball on this one. I honestly had no idea that they were planning on deprecating the ClientLogin protocol, and left all of you high and dry because of it. I hope it doesn't affect your attitude towards G2U.

As always, if you are experiencing an issue, contact me at contact@litteratus.net

Shane

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    tosiabunio likes this.
  49. Shane-C

Shane-C

It's been a long day..

So the Newtonsoft.Json.Net.dll that I included with 2.0.4 didn't work out so well on certain versions (Read as all the versions except the one I was testing on). So I did some digging, and found that the dll built against .NET 3.5 does work, and has no issues authenticating, etc.

So.. I present to you the fastest update in G2U history. 2.0.5 has been uploaded to the Asset Store. If you are using any version prior to 2.0.5, I HIGHLY recommend you update.

I'm going to get some sleep
    Shane

50. Shane-C

Shane-C

So, as expected and unfortunately, in the process of fixing the authentication, I've broken the Manual Workbook workflow. I'll have a fix ASAP. Meanwhile, if you have a google account (Even if it's not the one tied to the workbook) you'll need to authorize in order to use Manual Workbooks. Keep in mind that G2U is no longer storing credentials, so there is no longer security risk.

Shane