Search Unity

[RELEASED] Fury Framework - RPG/RTS Creator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andorov, Dec 23, 2011.

1. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! That clears things up for me. I see the log warning now. Didn't see any errors so I didn't look there. You'd think after two years of using Unity, I'd remember to check the log. I take it I can have multiple copies of those five units?

My programming skills are mostly 20 years out of date so most of my code is a "bad design" but I am learning. I'll play around with some loops and see what I can come up with for spawning multiple equipped units.

2. sanpats

sanpats

Very smart implementation.

3. drewradley

drewradley

Okay, I got it to spawn multiple enemies with equipment and even got it to use a chance to hit rather than always hitting but I can't figure out how to change the abilities at runtime. Can this be done?

4. SolInvictus212

SolInvictus212

Were you able to get to this? And has the version in fury on the asset store been updated?
    I'm on a Mac, and not sure how to compile the library from the source repository.

5. sanpats

sanpats

I have a feature/example request. Currently, if multiple enemy units are ordered to attack the same player unity, they will collide with each other, resulting in some unit will be unable to reach the unit it want to attack. This can be seen even in your example scene. If we can utilize some kind of sweep sphere algorithm to arrange attacking units nicely around the unit being attacked, it would be a nice feature, isn't it? Atleast some coding example would be nice.

6. Aler-Zampi

Aler-Zampi

The framework works with masterserver? I can not understand how to register a new host.

7. Rogue Adrian

Rogue Adrian

*REDACTED*

Ignore this whole post... it started working, though I have absolutely what I changed to fix it :-/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  8. ju4nj0

ju4nj0

Hello, how can i show the healh and mana bars everytime (without select player or enemies? Thanks

9. Rogue Adrian

Rogue Adrian

I just did the same thing... basically, in the SimpleHUD script, in LateUpdate(), in the section where it's drawing the health/energy bars, you want to replace the loop that's there that iterates over Selection, and instead iterate over Commanders, and then over each Commander's Units. If you're planning on having a lot of units in play at once, it might be a good idea to only render bars for the ones on-screen (using GeometryUtility.CalculateFrustumPlanes and GeometryUtility.TestPlanesAABB).

HTH... if I remember when I'm get home I'll post another reply w/the actual code I used - it's not complicated.

10. Rogue Adrian

Rogue Adrian

OK, around line 275 in SimpleHUD, it iterates over Selection. Assuming you're still using selection-based control (I'm not, the tutorial does), you'll want to add a closing brace before the "Calculate the top of the unit in world space" comment, so that it will still calculate abilities for the selection.

Then, (again, before the "Calculate the top of the unit" comment), we'll start our own loop, and include a check if the unit is on screen:
    Code (csharp):
    2.         // Draw status overlays
    3.         foreach (var commander in Fury.Behaviors.Manager.Instance.Commanders)
    4.             foreach (var unit in commander.Units)
    5.             {
    6.                 // Only draw for on-screen units
    7.                 var cam = Camera.main;
    8.                 var planes = GeometryUtility.CalculateFrustumPlanes(cam);
    10.                 if (!GeometryUtility.TestPlanesAABB(planes, unit.collider.bounds))
    11.                     continue;
    13.                 // Calculate the top of the unit in world space
    This iterates over all units in play, skipping any that aren't on-screen, and applies the same logic that's already there to draw the health/energy bars.

Good luck!

11. sanpats

sanpats

andorov, the fury framework maker, hasn't answer in this thread for a while. I wonder what happen.

12. alewinn

alewinn

mm I hope it's not too serious I need access to the code and i've bought it yesterday :s
    He's certainly in hollidays ;)

(Forgot to tell it's a very good Rts/Rpg framework, very well programmed ;) )

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  13. ju4nj0

ju4nj0

I have no desired results with this code. It´s the same. That i want is that all objects in scene show its bars (always by default) and when i select one of them shows selected ring (and health and energy bars). Other question. Is possible the player was select by default without selection drag. I tried making a game like HoN or similar. Thanks.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,

I encountered the following blocking error when i try to connect a client game to the server using the Fury Framework (i tried both the tutorials and the framework demo, and also i think this occurs on your live demo on your website...) :

Code (csharp):
    2. Couldn't send RPC function 'Handshake' to server
    3. UnityEngine.NetworkView:RPC(String, RPCMode, Object[])
    4. Fury.Behaviors.Manager:OnConnectedToServer()
    Do you have any clue on how to solve this problem ?

Thanks.

15. drewradley

drewradley

Just got an email from him this morning.

16. andorov

andorov

Sorry guys, the past two months were really busy for me! Also, I think the UDN changes sort of messed up my preferences because I didn't get post notifications for a while.

I'm here to stay, and looking over some of the questions posted. This project is actively supported, and will continue to be! I've actually collected a lot of feedback, and will be releasing some feature upgrades when my schedule clears up a bit more.

It looks like you can't establish connection to the client. Unfortunately, this is a problem that is likely to not be related to Fury. Please check firewalls, etc and make sure the clients can connect to each other on the specified UDP ports.

Yes, you can. You'll have to modify the SimpleHUD.cs script and basically take out all the dragging code. Then, set the player's object to be followed (this feature is built into the SimpleHUD).

Yes, it works with the master server. Fury uses built in Unity networking. To register to a master server, I believe its something like MasterServer.ip = "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx";

Thanks for the compliment! Unfortunately, no holidays for me! I was looking at my paycheck for my day job, and it says I have 230 hours of vacation. 28 days (+ weekends) of vacation is sounding pretty good to me! Anyway, I got to you this morning, as well as drewradley.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User

I finished to find... i had to set my default active Windows 7 network to "Public" ...

Thanks for your reply !

18. sanpats

sanpats

Hi andorov, nice to have you back.

Can you also tell me what you think about my feature request earlier on this page?

19. andorov

andorov

Its a good idea; interestingly there is a sweeping sphere style algorithm for movement (you can look at it under Commander.OrderGroupToPosition), but not for attacking. Its easy to implement for movement, but a little bit harder to do for attacking, but I definitely do see the benefits of having it built in. I'll think of ways to do it; it would probably end up being some kind of unit "preference" to attack from a particular vector.

20. ju4nj0

ju4nj0

Hi Andorov, but now I can select the units with the mouse click with no drag. Did not change anything else. I have to select the player to move by default. I want to control it permanently without having to select it. and always show their bars. thanks...I tried, i tried but.. :(.

21. Rogue Adrian

Rogue Adrian

You'll have to look at SimpleHUD, look at every reference to Selection, and if it's something that you don't want to be selection-based, change it to use something else. If you want the player to control only one Unit, you'll have to get and keep a reference to that unit so that you can issue orders to that unit instead of Selection. I did something very similar and had no issues; just keep at it. It helps to read through SimpleHUD to get an understanding of what it's doing, why, and how.

22. Teretz

Teretz

Hey there. Love the framework. I'm about to buy, but I am running into the issue where enemy Units that are spawned do not attack anything else after their first kill. If I could get that action working, I imagine I'd buy within the week. I would be able to build on top of this for many projects, but without it, the evaluation falls short because of that bug. I know you said in a earlier post that the newest edition were supposed to have fixed that, and if it didn't, to contact you. I have forwarded this message via email to you as well.

UPDATE: I decided to reinstall the Fury package, in hopes that perhaps I had messed up somewhere and the AI logic that is not working over here was my fault. I ran the tutorial level and went to the area between the two continuous spawn points, and it repeated the same bug. When a enemy Unit kills, it stands idle. I'm not sure what to do here and would love advice. I am so stoked about your framework!

EDIT: Is a solution of Unit.Order() possible? If not, is there someway to queue attack order or perhaps a future update with a function that detects opposing team units and attacks? A reset aggro function would be equally useful.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  23. drewradley

drewradley

Teretz, what I did (and it may not be the best way) was to remark out (using // in front of the line)
    Code (csharp):
    1.  if (creep.State == Fury.UnitStates.Idle)
    (around line 53 but I have edited it so it may be different for you) and the associated brackets (i.e.: { } ) in the creepspawner.cs. It seems they never return to idle after killing their target. This doesn't, however, prevent them from clustering around a single target, even if they cannot reach it. Still working on that one.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  24. Rogue Adrian

Rogue Adrian

Is there a way to have right-click orders override replace the current order, instead of cancelling it and forcing the user to click again to initiate the new action? This almost seems like a bug to me, but that may just because I'm used to RPG-style games behaving a certain way (e.g. Neverwinter Nights). The only workaround I can come up with is to check if the unit state is not idle, and if it isn't, issue the order twice (once to cancel the previous order, once to issue the new order). I haven't tested this, so I'm not sure if it would work at all, but it definitely smells like a hack to me.

Also, for weapons, is pre-delay/post-delay just for timing the animation, or is the total time between attacks the sum of PreDelay + PostDelay + Cooldown?

Addendum: Is there any way to programmatically modify an ability's or weapon's cooldown time? Cooldown/CastCooldown are read-only and non-virtual, so I don't see how. I'd like to have items or status effects that modify cooldown times and/or attack speeds.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  25. Rogue Adrian

Rogue Adrian

It seems like this gets extremely messy if you've got lots of abilities; it requires a map of the names of each ability's levels, and requires the HUD script to iterate over that list vs. the character's abilities vs. the character's tokens (or however you check which abilities should be available) on every Update(). This is not only difficult to implement, but drastically increases the complexity CPU cost of the HUD script. What if you have a large ability tree? Or a game where all abilities are available to all characters, and they choose which ones to unlock as the game progresses? Or a few dozen abilities, each with a few levels? It seems like a method for programmatically adding and removing abilities, and/or programmatically modifying ability properties (damage, cooldown, cost, range, etc.) would smooth things out dramatically.

26. cothly

cothly

does this support iso ? like touch control by HUD

27. andorov

andorov

do you mean iOS/Android? You will have to program your own touch controls, but the underlying framework doesn't care about being on iOS/Web/Android or whatever. I've recently heard some complaints about the AOT compiler (required for Android/iOS) tripping up and I'm looking into that. There are some workarounds that I can help people with as necessary.

I believe this issue was patched, I will update framework DLL once more to be sure.

I'm not sure I understand. Orders override previous orders by default.

PreDelay can be part of this equation sometimes, but not others. In the vast majority of cases, though, you are correct.

I've seen the "cost" of this approach, and unless you have an /extremely/ deep skill tree, the cost appears to be fairly manageable, however, I have thought about adding the ability to progmatically modify a given character's abilities. Note that if you are making a single player game, you can very trivially modify the source to make it not-read-only, and everything will work fine.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  28. andorov

andorov

Quick Note: Updated the UnityIndieEval kit with the newest binary; will do so for UnityProEval shortly as well.

Note that if you want only the binary, just extract the project into an empty folder and copy the binary into your own!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  29. Tiguy

Tiguy

I bought that framework a month ago and I must say I'm impressed with and it's well coded.

I have few questions for you Andorov

Do you send an email or a notice to customers when the repository is updated?

Is it possible to know on what you are working for the next updates?

And this one is more a suggestion but I think it's would be great to have few tutorial more geared to RTS/ Tower Defense since you advertise your framework for this kind of game too ;)

Keep your good work

TiGuy

30. ju4nj0

ju4nj0

Hi all, how I can assign a color to the energy bar for each of the different elements created in the manager (Element1, Element2, etc..). I know that for the Player (Element1) I can assign a color to the statement (if (kvp.Owner == Owner) .....), but others dont know how. Thank you.

I am creator of 3D objects. My programming knowledge are limited. But I'm learning.

31. bravery

bravery

Hi andorov,

Nice framework.

I can see last update happen 31 march, that's mean around 5 months, so do you have any planes for further updates?
    Do you have a features list that you are working on to incorporate in this pack?

Thanks

32. andorov

andorov

Hey!

I somewhat regularly update the Indie eval packages as well as the main engine. It is available in the source repository. The last update was today! Most of the updates have been bug fixes and improvements - no new features yet.

I've worked with developers on an individual basis to add features them need. Some of them, I don't feel apply to the product in general. There are a couple of features I would like to add, but some of them would be 'breaking' changes, and as such, I may lump them all into version 2 or something of the similar. I'm also waiting for Unity 4, as I feel that would be the best time to release a new version with breaking changes.

33. Tiguy

Tiguy

Any chance that you add neutral units?
    I know you replied to someone else with a kind of work around but it's not really like a true neutral commander

Regards

34. Venged

Venged

I'm interested in this kit. I would use it along with the advanced Fantasy AI kit. Can fury be adapted to use third person camera and RPG like controls instead of point n click?

Thanks

35. Aliuga2012

Aliuga2012

Adrian Rogue,

Thanks a lot for you code posted here :).
    I was looking for something and has served me well.
    Thanks again !!

Best regards !!

36. Rogue Adrian

Rogue Adrian

No problem! If you want to use this, you should probably move the two var declarations to before that first foreach(). As it is in my original post, it recalculates the camera's frustum plane for each unit, though it never changes; better to do this once and re-use planes for all the iterations. It doesn't make much difference but there's no reason to waste cycles on it.

37. pneill

pneill

Is there any additional documentation beyond the XML file provided with the DLLs?

38. Velo222

Velo222

I am working on an rts, and I'm looking for viable solutions to my game with between 400 - 800 units in game.

My main problem has been too many collisions taking place when my units are moving (they all have simple colliders), so I need some decent dynamic obstacle avoidance logic (or local avoidance, whatever you want to call it). Is the fury framework capable of handling this amount of agents with a reasonable framerate/cpu load? I mainly need real-time/run-time local dynamic avoidance between agents (units), as I said.

Thanks.

39. andorov

andorov

Thats definitely a lot of units. You'd probably have to write your own avoidance logic, which IS possible, but would still require significant work on your part. As far as I know, the native unity pathfinding (with unity pro) is actually quite capable, and may be able to handle that many units out of the box, but thats only if you own Pro.

40. yunspace

yunspace

Hi, I've purchased the framework from asset store last week, I've requested for the source code via the website and also sent a email to ali@dreadware.com, but so far haven't heard back. If the developers monitoring this forum please have a check? Thanks

EDIT: got reply now. Thanks heaps.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  41. DoenitZ

DoenitZ

Hi Andorov!! Excellent work with this framework!! i´m learning how to use it, but i need to program a "Teleport" hability.

this hability will also be useful to program skills that move my character along a defined line almost instantly, and create the sensation that it actually move along a line

I've reach as far as Unit.Order, but i cant get into the code (im using the pro eval version until i learn how to use the kit right)

Is there any way of overriding Order to program this behaviour? as im using unity pro and its navigation system, maybe i should look into that?

Thanks!!

PS: sorry if my english is bad!! :p

42. Aliuga2012

Aliuga2012

Hello andorov,
    Do you know how I can to cast any ability when my player is walking...
    We work in a game like RTS but with Joystick for Android and while the player is walking we need execute any ability.

Thanks !!

43. Aldebaran2012

Aldebaran2012

Hello andorov,
    We have a problem, there are 3 scenes (Intro Scene, Menu Scene, Game Scene), when I play the firts time it's all ok, but when I get the victory or I lose I have to go the Intro Scene and when i play the second time, I have a problem "Only one manager can be initialized at a time. Self destructing!".

How i can to fixe it? I need your help, please :)

Thanks again !!

44. DoenitZ

DoenitZ

Another question: are there any planned updates now that Unity4 is live?

Thanks for the great work!

45. Hunkahunka

Hunkahunka

When I run the tutorial scene on an iPad 3 with Unity 3.5.6, I get the following stacktrace and the app crashes immediately. How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas

2012-10-12 09:23:32.952 xena[4442:907] -> registered mono modules 0x105750c
    -> applicationDidFinishLaunching()
    Mono path[0] = '/var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed'
    Renderer: PowerVR SGX 543
    Vendor: Imagination Technologies
    Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 IMGSGX543-73.16
    GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_shadow_samplers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_APPLE_copy_texture_levels GL_APPLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_sync GL_APPLE_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_IMG_read_format GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc
    Creating OpenGLES2.0 graphics device
    Initialize engine version: 3.5.6f4
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    Platform assembly: /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Non platform assembly: /private/var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Fury.dll (this message is harmless)
    Non platform assembly: /private/var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
    Non platform assembly: /private/var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/System.dll (this message is harmless)
    Non platform assembly: /private/var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Fury.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading /var/mobile/Applications/06544A65-063D-4F21-A05B-1AAC4302DB32/xena.app/Data/Managed/Fury.dll into Unity Child Domain
    - Completed reload, in 0.138 seconds
    -> applicationDidBecomeActive()
    Font size and style overrides are only supported for dynamic fonts.

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Runtime/GUI/TextMeshGenerator2.cpp Line: 65)

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Runtime/GUI/TextMeshGenerator2.cpp Line: 65)

-> force accelerometer registration
    Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 3 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 1148. Operation took 29.183958 ms.
    Found 3 graph types

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Runtime/ExportGenerated/iPhonePlayer-armv7/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 43)

Deserializing...

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/14194e8ce88cdf47/Runtime/ExportGenerated/iPhonePlayer-armv7/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 43)

Creating Graph of type 'GridGraph'

Deserialization complete - Process took 62.69 ms

Scanning - Process took 418 ms to complete

ExecutionEngineException: Attempting to JIT compile method '(wrapper managed-to-native) System.Threading.Interlocked:CompareExchange (Fury.General.Action,Fury.General.Action,Fury.General.Action)' while running with --aot-only.

at Fury.Behaviors.Manager.add_OnMapLoaded (Fury.General.Action value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at CreepSpawner.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

compute_class_bitmap: Invalid type 13 for field System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[T]:current

46. Aliuga2012

Aliuga2012

Hello Hunkahunka,

Your problems is because the Fury use a custom type List and Dictionary (ReadOnlyList, ReadOnlyDictionary) and you can to do 2 things, the first possible solution, you should fix that errors in the custom List and Dictionary or the second possible solution is not use that custom List and Dictionary in his stead use Generic List and Generic Dictionary.

I did the second solution. This works for me :)

Grettings !!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  47. RGreulich

RGreulich

I downloaded the demo and this pack is amazing! I have a question about collides though... I added a few building models that I had and added the mesh collides to them, but the characters walk right through. To further test, I added Dexsoft's cave creator pack to see if the units could walk around a cave, but they fall right through. Am I missing something on how to get the units to interact with mesh collides?

I am thinking of purchasing this really soon.

48. qazwx

qazwx

I've emailed the author of this kit SEVERAL times about getting access to the source code because I need it...

I obviously bought the kit....

He hasn't responded, and it's been basically a week, I'm getting reallly realllly upset.

Does anybody have the repository link to this kit? I can show you my invoice or whatever is needed, I just really need the source to begin working.

49. andorov

andorov

It had been five days, and I just responded to you several hours ago. I've been updating the framework and you'd have to update the source if you had got it sooner anyway ;)

Speaking of updating!

The source code has been updated to Unity 4.0. Additionally, I have added specific binaries for iOS/Android so you guys don't have to fix the stuff yourself! The packages have also been updated.

50. qazwx

qazwx

He responded. Thank you for the response!

I apologize, I was just getting upset :/

unityunity