Search Unity

[RELEASED] Fur Factory - a tool to make great looking fur.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jamieniman, May 24, 2016.

1. neoshaman

neoshaman

Try cloth tool like obi too

2. Arkade

Arkade

3. johnartune

johnartune

Fur Factory Issue Report

First of all thank you so much for creating the fur plugins. It gives us a very short way to get perfect fur/feather cover a skinned mesh renderer.

But some issues still happened in our projects.

1. First of all, dynamics are the almost big problem. We test Fur Factory in Unity 5.6.0f3, When I play WolfSceneDynamics Scene file, then will give us s Error Pause

[Physics.PhysX] Call to PxCloth::setExternalAcceleration() not allowed while simulation is running.

Sorry for my ignorance, I have no code technologies and have no way to change your source code. Hope for your help right now.

2. Second I found every fur quad mesh in one polygon keep better angle, but not better with two polygons connected. In this image that what I talking about.

The skinned mesh every vertex closed with a smooth edge normal.

upload_2017-5-25_17-46-4.png

Fortunately, we can use Hair Spray to smooth the fur between two polygon angle. But that are huge time to reduce the fur angle.

upload_2017-5-25_17-46-38.png upload_2017-5-25_17-46-42.png

3. Could support replace fur mesh let the user customize mesh as fur. because I trying to create birds feather I believe your plugin is the best way to create feather than others. If I could replace the mesh that is perfect at all.

upload_2017-5-25_17-46-51.png

4. If could be received Wind Zone and Collider. Like hand(Collider) touch on fur take some reaction.

4. johnartune

johnartune

these are I test in unity 5.6.0f3, shader created with shader forge, Post Processing with keijiro PostProcessing.
    FeatherElbow01.jpg FeatherElbow02.jpg FeatherElbow03.jpg FeatherElbow04.jpg

5. johnartune

johnartune

Hello jamieniman,
    Sorry about fur normal, When the first created all the fur, every one of these is getting normal from skinned mesh renderer. If I edited in paint tool with comb or any other tool, then will disturb the normal from basic mesh. FurEditNormal.jpg

6. johnartune

johnartune

Hello jamieniman,
    How could I hide the rotation handle or other transform handles when I use Paint Tool. If handles couldn't hide that makes so much misuse. FurEdit.jpg

7. jamieniman

jamieniman

Unselect the mesh when painting it. Then change the Unity tool you have selected.

8. jamieniman

jamieniman

This is fixed in Unity 5.6.1p1
    Thanks for pointing out this - ive done a fix - I sent it to you by email

IFL likes this.
  9. johnartune

johnartune

Hello Jamie,
    Thank you for your help so much, you are so kind.
    I already updated unity to 5.6.1, and the dynamic fur perfect running in this version and .
    But still have some issues, If I create dynamic fur myself. It's also tell me the same error.[Physics.PhysX] Call to PxCloth::setExternalAcceleration() not allowed while simulation is running.
    The new scripts make a nice feather ball in basic setting.
    FeatherBallSmooth.jpg
    And there are show the basic normal pefect.
    FeatherBallNormal.jpg

Best regards.
    John

10. johnartune

johnartune

Hello Jamie,
    Thanks for your update scripts, Now the fur/feather looks better now.
    BirdsFeather.jpg BirdsFeather01.jpg BirdsFeather03.jpg BirdsFeather04.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Malbers, IFL and Arkade like this.
  11. johnartune

johnartune

Hello Jamie,
    The edit normal still has a problem. If any way rebuild fur mesh normal. that's better for paint edit tool.
    Diffuse Color view BirdColor.jpg BirdColor_01.jpg
    Normal view BirdNormal.jpg
    If I set Sort Fur the normal would be disturbed trouble.
    BirdSortColor.jpg BirdSortNormal.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  12. johnartune

johnartune

Hello Jamie,
    Thanks for your always help.
    This moment, I finally finished an animated bird, by the way, I have to create a new shader for the feather and wing. But still, needs your help about simulation wind.
    I let the mesh vertex turbulence move then like wind blowing off the feather of wings. At the rest of feather covered the body, but have no vertex moving.
    PS: I just let the red vertex color take turbulence.
    WingVertexColor.jpg
    And if you have time let the top of mesh vertex color to red color.
    Another request, If I view feather from the different side of the bird. some side of the view, feather just one thin slice mesh. How could I create some feather as bend mesh?
    BirdFinal03.jpg BirdFinal04.jpg BirdFinal02.jpg BirdFinal01.jpg

13. jamieniman

jamieniman

The bird looks awesome!

I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking here, are you able to clarify it a bit.

- are you doing the wind with a custom shader or are you using the cloth component set up with Fur Factory?

14. johnartune

johnartune

Hello Jamie,

This video demo is now what I could do the best feather and wings.
    Still looks not bad, but some place not better. As body feather have no shake with wind simulation.(wind simulation just lets red area mesh vertex move as been shaken by.)

protopop likes this.
  15. johnartune

johnartune

Hello Jamie,
    Sorry I didn't express myself clearly, in order to help explaining myself I have drawn some pictures.
    FeatherBendMesh.jpg FeatherNormalRebuild.jpg
    1. About fur mesh from a quad to two quads.
    2.Root and Top vertex color
    3.Rebuild whole body fur normal when finishing the edit. If I got a perfect style then I could rebuild it again not just in the beginning create fur.

16. bold-studio

bold-studio

Hi,

We purchased FurFactory and imported it in Unity, but can't find out how to open it ( in Walkthrough.pdf step 2 it says FurFactory can be opened from Window>FurFactory>Open FurFactory, but there is no such folder in Window dropdown. Please help us, we're new to unity, what are we missing?

17. jamieniman

jamieniman

Do you get any console errors? Have you tried it in a new project without any other assets? (In case it's a conflict - but there shouldn't be as its using Fur Factory namespace)

Just to check you saw a dialog box that looked something like this: (and clicked import)

18. SHADOWxWOLF

SHADOWxWOLF

im currently having a issue with this asset with everything it generates is not on the object at all.

19. jamieniman

jamieniman

Make sure all your transforms are reset, up to and including the model with the skinnedmeshrenderer

20. alvifarooq

alvifarooq

Hi,

I'm considering buying this but my only use case is in mobile. Just wondering if you've run any updated tests for mobile (iOS or android)?

21. jamieniman

jamieniman

How many furry creatures will you likely have on screen at once?

22. Wolfieman

Wolfieman

Hey there! I just got FurFactory and love it, but I'm having an issue - some of my models import into the game at scale, no larger than they're supposed to be. Unfortunately FurFactory seems to really have trouble organizing the fur on a "small" model (even though the model isn't actually small--when imported into the game it's 1/5 the size of a standard asset tree). When I use the comb/brush/scissors/spray, even on the smallest setting, it brushes the fur elsewhere and is difficult to use... for example, if I brush the head, the tail gets combed instead.

Even if I scale up the model after applying the fur (can't beforehand or the fur just gets goofy) it still has the same problem. Any ideas?

23. jamieniman

jamieniman

The scale of the brush is meant to adjust to the proportional scale of the mesh. Looks like there may be a bug with this. In the meantime could you try increasing the import scale of your model, make the fur and groom it at that scale and then you can scale it down for use in game

24. jamieniman

jamieniman

25. HarryLightweave

HarryLightweave

upload_2017-11-28_16-29-6.png
    Just having that offset transform problem a few other people have had.
    I have gone through the transforms and have checked they are reset except for the bones obviously.
    The object is in the root of the heirachy
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

26. jamieniman

jamieniman

So to be sure, you've checked the gameObject that has the SkinnedMeshRenderer on it, and that also has transforms reset?

27. HarryLightweave

HarryLightweave

Got it working Thanks Jamie.
    I must have been resetting the transforms after making the fur

28. HarryLightweave

HarryLightweave

upload_2017-11-29_11-39-16.png
    After an hour of combing this bird I got it looking pretty good.
    I found out why it wasn't working.. You can't have any animators on it or it be a child of anything when you generate the fur. When combing the bird I found it uses a different mesh as the bird for combing which did not line up at all.
    upload_2017-11-29_11-44-45.png
    Performance on mobile is good though!

29. jamieniman

jamieniman

The mesh it uses for painting weights will be its bind pose. Usually if you don't play any animation on it, it should appear in this pose.

30. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello,

Any idea on why we get "flipped" light direction on the fur? The fur is illuminated from the opposite direction of the light source. (It's shadowed where the light hits and is bright where it should be shadowed)

Using Unity 2017.1.0f3

31. Raul_T

Raul_T

No fix for our issue? :(

32. edwon

edwon

Any progress on dynamics?

33. jamieniman

jamieniman

Are you using deferred lighting?
    You can get the shader to work in deferred if you add the following to the shader code:

Everywhere you see:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Tags
    2.         {
    replace it with
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  Tags
    2.             {
    3.                 "LightMode" = "ForwardBase"
    This will make the shader behave well in deferred. (Although its only a single directional light shader at the moment)

34. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes! Just use the "Set Dynamics" button to add dynamics to your fur!

edwon likes this.
  35. Art-voodu

Art-voodu

Hi!
    I am very interested in your product for our mobile game. Could you please send me an .apk demo to check on how fast it works? (I wrote an email to you)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  36. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

2018, does it receive/cast shadows yet i am waiting to buy :p

37. LarsH673

LarsH673

i have some trouble in the newest Unity versions. No matter wath i do the generated hair is invertedt and points into the mesh (normals of the model are all correct) i uploaded my model so you can use it for testing. another problem i have is tath the editor perfomance is terrible. i hope you can fix this issues FurTest1.jpg

inside the model :
    FurTest2.jpg

Attached Files:

38. AlexanderElert

AlexanderElert

Hi Jamie
    This asset can be used right on unity 2017.3.1?
    I want to purchase it

39. jamieniman

jamieniman

Hi,

Thanks for the file - its good to get real examples to work with.
    Essentially I would recommend making a low poly "base model" to generate the fur - this model will be used to copy the skin weights etc - it doesn't need to have the same resolution as the main model and can be hidden after generating the fur. This will really help with the performance.

Also the fur directions default to be alligned up on the UV channel. Once you're made a low res base model you'll find it much easier to comb the hair in the desired direction aftwards.
    You could also try changing the tangent generation to legacy and see if that improves the default directions

40. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yup - it wo
    Yup, it works.

41. alvifarooq

alvifarooq

Hi, I just bought your asset to test it out. I'm unable to modify the fur at all. I'm getting the following error (using Unity 2017.1.1f1) right after generating the fur. To be clear Unity asked me to 'upgrade' the project to be able to import fur factory in. Could you please help me check this!

Reported Error -----------------------------------------------

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    FurFactory.Painter.SetHairs (UnityEngine.Mesh FurMesh, UnityEngine.Mesh meshToPaint, FurFactory.Fur fur, Single strength) (at Assets/FurFactory/Scripts/Painter.cs:142)
    FurFactory.FurFactoryWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/FurFactory/Scripts/Editor/FurFactoryWindow.cs:193)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:272)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:265)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:232)

42. jamieniman

jamieniman

Could you check if your character model has normals? If not, you can get Unity to make them in the models import settings:

upload_2018-11-13_13-53-41.png

If thats not it let me know, it should be working in Unity 2017 (Letting Unity upgrade is correct).

43. TCROC

TCROC

@jamieniman Is this asset still being supported? I'm interested in getting it. If it is, what is the roadmap for it, and how does it stack up against PIDI - XFur Studio?

44. jamieniman

jamieniman

Fur factory is designed to generate alphacards so it may be more appropriate if performance is an issue. It works on mobile.

45. TCROC

TCROC

@jamieniman Awesome! The only reason I asked about if it was supported was because of some of the reviews I was reading. Some said there was compatibility issues with Unity 2018. We are currently using 2018.2.14f1 and will soon be upgrading to 2018.3.0f2. Is it compatible with those versions?

46. NiallSoe

NiallSoe

@johnartune,

Was this the default Unity sphere without any grooming?
    When I create fur on the default Unity sphere it looks nothing like your picture (see attached, 1,000 hair cards and no grooming):

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 17.14.05.png

If you used a sphere model with certain UVs, could you please upload that model for me to take a look at?

Thank you!

47. Meany747

Meany747

Is this asset still being supported? Also does it function correctly on Unity 2018.2?

48. foy

foy

Hello,

I am having an issue which is making your tool's workflow quite hard to work with. I am getting a save mesh request after just about every brush stroke I perform. Even though I am getting very good results I am finding it very disruptive. I did not find any reference to this in the manuals, and no mention of this issue in this forum. Is this normal behavior with your tool. I am using Unity 2018.3.7.f1.

49. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

What's the performance like on mobile?
    for about 50 creatures with fur, what's the impact?

50. peaceamit

peaceamit

@jamieniman

Hope you are doing good during COVID times. I'm considering buying the Fur Factory asset. The asset looks awesome. However, I do not see any update in the asset since Dec 10, 2016 on asset store. Is this still actively supported? I do not see much activity on the asset hence little skeptical on the purchase.

Regards,