Search Unity

[RELEASED] Fur Factory - a tool to make great looking fur.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jamieniman, May 24, 2016.

1. jamieniman

jamieniman

Introducing Fur Factory - a fun new tool to create fur in your game!

Fur Factory is a fun and easy Unity tool to create great looking fur for your game! With a single click you'll be able to spawn multiple hair clumps onto your character. You can comb it, cut it and even use hair spray to shape it however you want!

The fur is automatically skinned to your character, naturally deforming with the base skin.

You can purchase Fur Factory here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/63526

Visit the website to learn more:www.furfactory3d.com

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    nxrighthere, DotTeam, punk and 2 others like this.
  2. IFL

IFL

Looks great! What's the price, does it work at runtime, does it have LOD, and is it affected by wind? Those absolutely are not requirements for me, I'm just curious.

3. jamieniman

jamieniman

Initially I've released it for $35.

Its a "not yet" to those questions - but this is the first release, so I'm collecting a list of requested new features. Wind was already high up there - I'm going to add LOD and runtime modifying as well.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Gekigengar and IFL like this.
  4. IFL

IFL

Count me in. If you want more feature ideas: self-shadowing, density control, fur splat-map for texture-controlled growth/settings, and a wetness setting to cause it to lay flat and increase gloss. None of those are important, but all would be nice depending on the situation.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. jamieniman

jamieniman

Excellent! I'll add them. The trello list is here by the way

IFL likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah this looks nice. I was going to suggest dynamics but I see you already have it on the list.
    You may also consider clumping (this might be covered in splat maps also). I haven't ever used clumping for hair/fur, though it seems to be a highly requested and desired setting in other hair/fur systems in 3D apps.
    Nice work.

IFL likes this.
  7. Gozdek

Gozdek

Looks nice

8. jamieniman

jamieniman

Dynamics will be a nice addition - actually you already get some nice natural movement from the hairs as they inherit their skin weights from the root.

At the moment you can choose between "clumpy" or "straight" looking hair. It would be great to be able to paint the clumping as well - have a "clumpyness" brush... perhaps I could call it the "Hair Gel Tool". (At the moment there is "Scissor Tool", "Comb Tool" and "Hair Spray Tool"

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yes - this looks nice, however it is rather stiff atm. The dynamics I'm talking about is the falloff inheritance - the root of the hairs which inherit the motion of the skinned character 100%, to the tips of the hair which should lag and have overlapping motion, and it would be nice to be able to customize these settings. So a longer haired character can have more lag and overlap, where a short haired character would have less lag and overlap.
    Looking forward to the next update. :)

10. jamieniman

jamieniman

For sure, I used to work as a technical animator in film doing fur (and cloth) simulation - so its high on my list :)

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. IFL

IFL

So my first impression is that Fur Factory is awesome. The fur looks great. The sorting does a good job and makes alpha-blending way better. It's likely not an easy request, but I'd really like to have a brush to paint the hair on. And a shaver to completely remove the fur within a radius. I noticed that styling is pretty slow. It's doable, and it's nice to be able to do so, but it's 1.5s between each stroke. If that could be sped up to the speed in your video, that'd be awesome. Also, the generator needs to check to ensure that the selected object has a mesh - infinite progress bars aren't fun.

Anyway, thanks for releasing FF. I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

12. punk

punk

@jamieniman

Hey bro this looks cool, will definitely buy a copy once it hits the store, what's the performance like?

13. DotTeam

DotTeam

14. jamieniman

jamieniman

Brush to paint hair on may prove tricky - though I am planning on making a density map that will essentially do that (although you wont get live updates)

Yup - I'm thinking on adding a "Shave Hairs button" in the scissors tool that will remove the small hairs from the mesh.

Could you give me an idea on what your test case is - how many polys is the source mesh, how many hairs have you set, whats your computer specs and OS?

Yup - noticed that whilst it was in release, I'll be fixing that in the next update.

Also I've been working on dynamics - I'll show some vids of it progess hopefully sometime this week :)

theANMATOR2b and IFL like this.
  15. IFL

IFL

Between the Shave Hairs button and the density map, I think there's little need for a Paint Hair brush.

It's slow on any mesh, but the number of hairs seems directly related to the delay. I just tried it on the monster's face with 2k hairs to confirm. After each brush step, it pops up with the Unity window that mentions importing small assets. Are you saving the mesh to disk after every brush step instead of each stroke? The project that I tested within was on a HDD so I'll try it on my SSD tomorrow to see if that's the issue.
    3GHz i5, 8GB ram, 64-bit, Win10, Nvidia GPU (mid-range, not sure which one)

16. jamieniman

jamieniman

Ok, I've done a fix so that it saves the mesh on mouse up instead, could you email me at furfactory3d@gmail.com so I can send it to you.
    I'm not sure why you get an importing small assets dialogue, that's likely slowing it down further - I'm not getting that on my mac or PC.
    By the way - as useful tip - you can do all the painting with less hairs and then when you want to make your high res fur mesh you can assign the paint model in the inspector to copy all the information over :)

17. IFL

IFL

I figured out the reason. :oops: I use a cache server, and it's trying to update the cache with each step. I can turn it off for styling - so it's not an issue now. Sorry that I brought it up, and I don't think you need to send me that fix you made.

That's amazing - thanks.

18. Steven-C

Steven-C

19. jamieniman

jamieniman

punk likes this.
  20. jamieniman

jamieniman

Obviously it depends on how many hairs you make, but to give you an idea - on an old galaxy Ace (very low end android) I was running above 30fps with 2 wolves full screen each with 5000 hair clumps.

21. punk

punk

I've bought it, I'm making a PC game - called The Last Vampire, I'm going to use it on creatures etc, once I've had a chance to play I'll send you some screens and some feedback ;)

22. jamieniman

jamieniman

Excellent! Looking forward to it :)

23. jamieniman

jamieniman

Hi Everyone, here's a little test of the dynamics I'm working on :)

24. neoshaman

neoshaman

next gen dog!

25. jamieniman

jamieniman

Fur Factory can make any furry creature Next Gen ;-)

www.furfactory3d.com

26. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

Excellent Asset, just when I was looking for other solutions I found this one by random chance.

Me and my team are creating a furry game with characters being only animals and fur is an important and crucial part of the game.

I know this is early and you are working on things, but here's some useful technical features we would love to see.

Head Hair
    Procedural Fur - Run-Time created fur for character customization, if its based on base texture Substance Designer would excel at that
    Random Fur - Randomly assign fur based on customized settings or just pure random types of fur
    Fur by Species - Configurable settings, attributes, length, etc. for species of all kinds procedurally, works optionally randomly hopefully to allow variety
    Substance Designer / Painter support - Allow advanced functions from Substance to control fur and possibly procedurally
    PBR support
    Procedural Masking to control areas where you don't want fur
    Fur Wizard to control fur in-editor and in-game, save all sorts of fur variables, instances, etc
    Fur instances - Allow created fur to be transferred to other characters as an instance to save on processing
    Real-time collision detection and deformation - Collide fur with other objects, get wet from water, under-water, etc.
    Particle and Substance effects - Allow particles to affect fur physically and Substance Designer / Painter to control visual effects, etc.

Third Party Support
    Adventure Creator integration
    Mega-Fiers integeration
    ICE Creature Control integration
    LipSync Pro and SALSA integration
    FinalIK integration
    Puppet Master integration
    Skele: Character Animation integration

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  27. IFL

IFL

I know first-hand that Fur Factory functions alongside Adventure Creator and Mega-Fiers so I'm curious as to what kind of further integration you'd like to see with these third-party assets, especially the ones bolded. I kind-of understand wanting blend-shape support, but I can't think of anything else on that list that isn't already functional. With Mega-Fiers, you just have to set up the fur mesh for use with MF in addition to the original mesh.

28. jamieniman

jamieniman

Excellent! Please feel free to post images of your furry character here and promote your game. I would love to see it.

Longer hair will require a whole host of new features that I would love to add one day. Not in the near future though :)

I've added the ability to generate the hairs at runtime in my next release. But it takes sometime so it'll increase your loading times.

29. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi

I have an issue where the fur is not on the model….

Any ideas how to fix this…?

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 4.02.56 PM.png

30. jamieniman

jamieniman

I'm thinking you have transform offset values on your mesh or its parent.
    Could you check through the hierarchy until the eagle model (that has the skinnedMeshRenderer/meshRenderer) and make sure all the transforms are at zero

31. bome99

bome99

Will you make the shaders work in Deferred. linear rendering also?

32. jamieniman

jamieniman

I'll certainly add it to the list. I had a quick try and as a rough quick fix to make it work the same as it does in forward you can reverse the lighting:
    so change:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 lightDirection = normalize(_WorldSpaceLightPos0.xyz);
    for
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 lightDirection = normalize(-1*_WorldSpaceLightPos0.xyz);

punk and bome99 like this.
  33. TWaanders

TWaanders

Hi man, this asset looks great! I was wondering how the fur texturing works. Is it a single color, or is the base model texture pojected on the fur?

Thanks

34. jamieniman

jamieniman

You can choose between either.
    (For both methods you can tweak the base&highlight colors/intensity for the root and tip.)

35. VirtualVassal

VirtualVassal

Hmm, this is pretty much exactly the style of fur I've been looking for. Might pick it up down the line (or keep an eye out for a sale, been going a little Asset crazy lately), but thanks for creating this. I'll be getting it before my game is released.

36. Teila

Teila

Do you have any demos with the straight and mobile furs? I am curious about how those look.

Also, how does this affect the fps in the scene? Is it heavy?

Thank you. :)

37. magique

magique

It looks a bit more like feathers than fur, but still very nice. Are there any examples where you can show a more fur-like look?

38. jamieniman

jamieniman

upload_2016-8-26_13-2-58.png
    This is the wolf with straight fur

39. jamieniman

jamieniman

It's quite optimised - to illustrate, I did a test on a really low end android phone (samsung Ace) and still managed 2 wolves full screen running above 30fps.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  40. Squeyed

Squeyed

Awesome looking fur asset, does it support the standard shader?

41. jamieniman

jamieniman

Not yet, but more shaders are certainly on my feature list

42. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

in the process of finding the right settings, I need to redo the fur many times – but this seems to be causing problems. Fur Factory interface stops effecting the model, extra materials accumulate…, eventually FF stops applying my current settings…. Restart isn't helping, I'm actually forced to delete the FF folder and materials from the project, and start over.

What is the best way to start over and/or edit? And is there any way to paint the mesh outside of Unity?

43. jamieniman

jamieniman

I'm not sure whats causing it to stop working for you.
    Did you know you can use the previous paint model (so you dont have to repaint it).
    To do this assign the old paint model to the fur component and click the button on the fur component.

Everytime you generate the fur it creates 3 things - a fur mesh, a paint mesh and a fur material. If you are remaking it to change the number of hairs you can delete the new paint mesh and material and reassign the old ones.

44. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Hello , a question :
    Does the fur accept shadows from directional lights for example ?
    Does it produce shadows ?

45. nindim

nindim

Hi,

I've sent you a couple of emails (the scond one just now!), but it occurred to me that you might not be checking that inbox or they could be in a Spam folder. I have included my original message below for reference.

"Hello,

I hope you are well. I am considering purchasing your FurFatory asset, but have a couple of questions I hope you can answer for me.

How many draw calls does the fur add to a character? Perhaps you could let me know about the wolf you use in the tutorial. I am developing a mobile title and draw calls are very important. I am also interested in the polycount once the 5,000 clumps have been added.

Can I achieve an effect similar to Sulley from Monsters Inc (but perhaps less bushy/fluffy)? I think all your promo/tutorial videos just show the clumpy hair?

What is the quality difference between the desktop and mobile hair types? I am primarily interested in the mobile versions.

Thank you for your time"

46. jamieniman

jamieniman

There are 2 drawcalls (as its a skinned mesh). Each hair clump is just a quad - so you are looking at 10,000ish tris for 5000 clumps

Here's an example of the straighter fur:

There's a single pass shader that is more optimised (though you can still use the other one) The sorting on the fur isn't as good with the mobile one. Although I do have a hair sorting button that minimises issues.

47. jamieniman

jamieniman

It doesn't receive or cast shadows currently - but the shader code is all open, so it can certainly be added

48. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Will this run on mobile hardware, Apple tv4?

49. jamieniman

jamieniman

It works on mobile (except for dynamics) -i haven't tried Apple tv4 though, no reason I know of that it shouldn't. :)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  50. davide445

davide445

This tool can be suitable also for hair? For a video I need to animate this character, will be difficult to create and animate his complex hair style?