Search Unity

[RELEASED]-- FUNCAR Kit -- Get driving any car FAST!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Redheadrobot, Sep 2, 2015.

?

What would you like to see in the next UPDATE?

1. Headlight, Brake Lights & Indicators?

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Smoke Effects on wheels and exhausts?

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Tire marks on skids?

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. More Car types?

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Sound FX? Engine, braking...

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  6. Speed Boost?

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. AI opponent cars?

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  8. Controller support?

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  9. Mobile controls?

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

MOBILE UPDATE - FUNCAR Kit V2.0 is the easiest way to get a car up and running.
    Why not TRY OUR ITCH.IO Demos?

Grab the latest version Here:
    FUNCAR Kit V2.0 - UNITY ASSET STORE

• Fun and friendly physics.
    • 20+ Prefabs to make your own tracks and Cars
    • Easy to set up, NO CODE, NO Colliders and NO Rigidbody to add
    • Lots of bouncing and wobbling.
    • Tune until you are happy
    • Camera script to tweak until you get the way you want your game to feel
    FUNCAR Kit Home Page
    FUNCAR Kit - UNITY ASSET STORE

Trailer V1.0

Trailer V1.5

Walkthrough - Setting up your first car

RedheadRobot and HibbyGames have teamed up to bring this fun little asset together out of making solid games. This pack will be regularly updated and Themed packs will follow soon adding new functionality to the kit.

WEBPLAYER DEMO - COPCAR
    Suggestions and comments are most welcome.

Best,
    Red & Hibby

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. ctknoxville

ctknoxville

Looks good. Are you planning to implement any type of mobile controls?

closetgeekshow likes this.
  3. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

Good question! While we're on the topic of inputs, controller support would be a nice to have thing, but it's pretty easy to add it in yourself later.

4. p6r

p6r

Wow ! So well done and so cartoonish !!!
    It seems it can't be simplier to use !?!

One request for me to buy such a kit : AI for other vehicles to make nice races !
    I would like to make crazy races with other cars having a so funny behaviour on the road...
    Please, add this and you will have a happy future customer !!!

6R

5. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

Thank you for the replies.
    Great idea ctknoxville & closetgeekshow, I'll discuss with Hibby. It has been added to our wish list. We have a list of features we are busy working on, this idea will be added too (I am adding it to the above survey so feel free to change your vote, you can make 3 choices :) ).

Thanks also P6r, I was wondering about making a ghost edition before AI so you can try to beat your own time. Though because it's a kit with some powerful tuning to can up the speed of your car, increase the tire traction and hope you can stay on the road. Hehe! This will appear above also.

6. hibbygames

hibbygames

We can definitely look at adding input options for mobile and controllers

I don't have experience with AI, so it's something I would have to learn as I go, but I have some ideas, like maybe by adding invisible markers around the track, then AI cars would try to steer towards them one after another

I think whatever most people want is what we'll focus on with the highest priority

7. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

I think there's a number of existing assets for racing AI already (though I've not used any myself before - i don't know how good they are), I don't think you should spend too much time on your own AI if you aren't experienced with it already.

8. p6r

p6r

À complete package always is better to attract customers.
    Because you are showing a nice track I see a logic here... (I voted for that !). ;-)
    I don't want/need to buy/download several kits in my unity scene.

6R

9. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

Thanks p6r, these will come. Right now we are building robust playable gameplay mechanics.
    Ideally our hope people would be anyone using this kit can bring the remaining elements together to make their games leaving us more time to focus on the core game elemets.

10. hibbygames

hibbygames

Here is me using it with my friend's car, and some other people's assets, so you can see what you might run into when using your own car models

11. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

12. ctknoxville

ctknoxville

Looks great. Will purchase if you can add some mobile controls or some instructions on how to do it.

13. hibbygames

hibbygames

Thanks! I will work on adding mobile controls in a future update, probably the second or third update

14. andyz

andyz

Looks good - does it use Unity's standard wheel colliders?
    The cop webplayer demo link seems wrong - would be good to see all cars in 1 demo

15. hibbygames

hibbygames

Thanks, no it just uses sphere colliders for tire collision, and raycasts to help position the tire meshes. That way I was able to make it drive up walls and upside down (as far as I could tell, wheel colliders seemed to use a ray always pointing straight down)

Yea he changed it to the F1 Car because someone was asking to play with it. I was thinking about making a nice PC/Mac/Linux download with all the cars in a nicer quality than the webplayer

16. nukeD

nukeD

Hey there guys, i like the physics a lot. Any plan to support Unity 4?

Thanks in advance!

17. hibbygames

hibbygames

Thanks! No unfortunately have to upgrade to Unity 5, sorry man

18. phil-harvey

phil-harvey

Looks good, what sort of inputs does it take, I want to hook it up to a networking engine. Most Likely the Forge Networking Library.

19. hibbygames

hibbygames

Thanks. It's just using Input "Horizontal" and "Vertical" for the arrow keys on a keyboard. We are planning to add mobile input in a future update

20. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

Hi Everyone,

Here is a sneak peak at what myself and Hibby have been up to. Enjoying the carnage a little more than is healthy maybe?
    Would love to hear what you think.

21. p6r

p6r

Carnage isn't what I prefer but the environment is wonderful and the tire marks changing color depending on what you hurt is great !
    Nice job !
    6R

22. unisip

unisip

Hey I purchased your Funcar kit as soon as it was out. I love it!
    Looking at the code, I understand this is definitely not a simulated car engine with RPM and all that (and it's not meant to be, I actually love that it's simple and more arcade oriented), but there is one thing that I would really LOVE to see added to your package, and that is a handbrake feature that would control some kind of drifting. Think good ol' Ridge Racer style of drifting.

Is this something you plan to add at some point? (couldn't see it in your poll list)

23. hibbygames

hibbygames

That's a really good idea, we should do that, or at least try to do it, I'm adding it to our task list :)

24. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

25. phil-harvey

phil-harvey

Was playing with the FunCar Kit and Forge Networking. After a while and a few tweaks to the scripts, managed to get networking playing nicely. Just no collision on the actual cars.

26. hibbygames

hibbygames

Oh Cool, Multiplayer, that's awesome

27. hibbygames

hibbygames

by the way here is my version of the Halloween Trailer :)

28. hibbygames

hibbygames

Hey guys, we have playable builds of the next update on itch.io including an Android build with mobile control. There's a new third area, speed boosts, an option so the camera can tilt with the car if you drive upside down. We also have a nice music track created by Screenhog that will be included

29. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

JUST RELEASED, V2.0... want to make a mobile racing game. Try this out.

30. Marito_22

Marito_22

I've tried the demo and looks incredible. Very funny and entertained!!! Just a question... Why the vehicles look inclined while riding on a plain surface, I mean as if the tires from one side had less air that the others. I've sent this question through the contact form from your Site also. Thans in advance!

31. hibbygames

hibbygames

The body is attached with a hinge joint to make it swing around, and it seems that's just how hinge joints work, as far as I can tell, after they move around they never seem to fully re-center themselves. We have an X, Y, and Z suspension length setting, and one way to avoid it is to just not let it swing around, so by setting Z to 0, it will never tilt on the Z axis, but then you lose the cool suspension. We have the body art that you see separated from the actual body that's moving, and we lerp it's position/rotation to make it smooth. One idea I have is to maybe center the body art rotation with code back to a flat position when the hinge joint seems to have settled, but that's something I need to figure out, maybe in an update

32. Marito_22

Marito_22

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, very complete indeed!!! I'm seriously considering buying your asset so I'd like to make another question please...

In the demo seems very easy to set up any car. Let's imagine that my car is a kart (I'm thinking of a Mario Kart style game) with its driver, what about the kart collider? Will the script automatically generate appropiate collider for the kart to behave properly? I mean a collider that encapsulates the kart mesh to avoid meshes penetraiting each other (the kart against any other object). And what about the driver collider? Will the script generate a collider for the driver or I'll have to create it? If this is the case (user creating the collider), will this affect the script operation? I don't know, for example the suspension.

Thanks again and sorry for my english.

33. hibbygames

hibbygames

It generates sphere colliders for the tires, based on the diameter of the tire meshes, and then it generates a box collider for the body based on the position/size of the sphere colliders, bridging them together. If you just put the character mesh inside the body, like it's a child of it, it shouldn't change anything, and you could add your own code to make the player animate steering etc, but if you add your own colliders to the body they will probably intersect the generated ones and it would get screwed up, and they wouldn't affect the car properly even if they don't intersect because they wouldn't be in the gameObject with a rigidbody that is moving around, they would be in the gameObject that holds the art, and tweens toward the one that moves around. The colliders are generated on a separate gameObject on run time, so if you want to make your own colliders you would have to make them through code, in the Awake() function in the Car Controller script, they would probably affect the center of gravity. If you make a collider that is a trigger, I don't think it affects anything, but I'm not not 100% sure

34. Marito_22

Marito_22

Again, thank you for the thorough answer. So, this might be a problem because the system seems to work with a very specific collider configuration you create at run time... and even thinking of taking the driver out of the equation there's still a chance that a mesh gets into another mesh in situations such as one car climbing over the other after colliding because the collider the scripts creates at run time would be at the same height as the wheels if I don't misunderstand. Am I right? Is there an easy workaround or I'd have to solve the problem modifying things like the center of mass and tuning many other things to accomplish the cool arcade system you have accomplished?

One last question... How difficult do you think would it be to implement a drift system? Thank you very much!

35. phil-harvey

phil-harvey

Need to hook up the multiplayer code I had to the latest version and see how it works. Maybe try a mobile build as well.

Phil

36. hibbygames

hibbygames

I'm not sure I understand, if there's multiple cars they would just bounce off each other. I think a drift system wouldn't be very hard, you obviously have to write code, but if you change the tire grip to a low number it already can slide sideways a lot, so I think something where you switch the tire grip to a low number to start drifting, and then bring it back up to a high number to stop drifting might already work pretty well

37. Marito_22

Marito_22

Let's say a car takes a curve very fast and because of the irregular terrain it flies directly over another car. The box colliders won't let one car go through the other if they would encapsulate each car but the colliders are generated via script in the way you clearly explained me so the colliders won't be big enough to avoid mesh interpenetration.

Let's think other example but from the demo this time. Consider the train scene. The train chimney won't have a collider so assume that every branch tree has its collider, that's only geometry and think of a mesh collider even though it might be costly but to represent exactly the form of the tree and for the sake of this example. If the branch hangs enough the branch will go through the train chimney because the collider in the train is generated via script and is not tall enough to encapsulate the chimney too. The same happens to the front of the train. If you collide with some wall for example that wall "eats" the front of the mesh instead of colliding because the auto generated collider of the train is not long enough.

Summing up, the collider avoids one mesh passing through another. In this case the collider is generated via script in a specific way to accomplish the arcade control / suspension system but depending on the situation you might need to add oher collider to prevent the kind of situations described above. The problem... that might screw the system so keeping the system would mean living with the meshes going through each other. Have you think of any solution?

Hope that's much clear. Thanks!

38. darkyer

darkyer

Hi, I have a problem when I open the mobile version, the controllers doesn't appear, do I need to do something else?

39. hibbygames

hibbygames

You could make a different version of the script where you edit the code so it doesn't generate anything automatically, and you declare all the parts it needs to work as public variables, so you can manually create and attach them, then your collider could be exactly the shape you want, but you would have to do a lot of work re-writing things and problem solving until it works again

40. hibbygames

hibbygames

Do you mean the buttons don't appear? Are your build settings set to a mobile device? And you clicked Switch Platform?

Attached Files:

41. AndersBackman

AndersBackman

Right now the cars decrease speed a lot when you turn in corners. Is it possible to get the cars to more or less maintain speed in corners?

42. hibbygames

hibbygames

It's slowing down when losing traction and sliding, so if you make the tireGrip higher that should keep the speed up on turns. By default it only goes to 100, but you probably want something higher like 300, so you'll have to customize the script a little bit.
    1) Go into the VehicleController script, and around line 42, there's a range for the TireGrip from 0f to 100f, change the 100f to a higher number, maybe even 1000f, I thought 300f felt right though.

2) With your vehicle gameObject selected (probably F1_Complete) in the Inspector window, you can increase Tire Grip to a higher number and see how it handles

Attached Files:

43. AndersBackman

AndersBackman

Thanks for your answer. This approach certainly does work but it also makes it feel more like you're on rails. You know, it's pretty sweet to slide. ;) I've tried to mess with the downforce, acceleration, gravity and all that as well but I guess it's just trying to work around it without getting there. It doesn't solve the main issue in this case. Do you have any tip of some other lines to manipulate in the VehicleController script? The decelleration when sliding seems like a feature and should be there somewhere, right?

44. hibbygames

hibbygames

Hmmm, okay put the TieGrip back to normal. Around line 687, try replacing the code that's pushing the vehicle forwards with: rbody.AddForce(inputY*physicsBody.transform.forward*(horsepower*(400f+Mathf.Abs(xVel)*20f))*Time.deltaTime);
    Try changing the 20f to a higher or lower number and see if it feels better on the turns

Attached Files:

45. AndersBackman

AndersBackman

That's it! Awesome!! Thanks a lot! :)

On another note, when do you expect the next update and what what is it going to address?

46. hibbygames

hibbygames

Phew! I'm glad it worked :)

Well, that is ultimately up to Mr. Redhead Robot, as it is technically his Asset and his store page. I think not for quite a while, right now we are working on a game that uses the FunCar Kit, and what I would like to do is copy features developed for the game back into FunCar after that. So for example after making engine sounds in the game, I can copy that code into a funCar update. Here is how that's coming along:

47. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

When will the next version be released, and will it include car sounds, engine and skidding etc? Thanks in advance, looks like a very nice asset!

48. Redheadrobot

Redheadrobot

Hi Greg,

Yes, we will be including some nice new assets for you to mockup your play area with and get your game to a higher level.

The next update will likely be after August to allow us to finish the game and update the pack and test it, the bigger it gets the more it's important we deliver you a problem free experience, so we like to get it right first time. :)

Have a great day :)

49. WalterEspinar

WalterEspinar

waiting for..

50. csabbah

csabbah

Hi i purchased the FunCar kit and i love the mechanics of this car! Amazing!
    I only have one issue with it and thats when i create a race track and use multiple meshes to connect and create the road, on the connections the car would stop and the only way to fix this is if i lower the next road ahead alot but that doesnt look good at all.
    I thought it was just the track itself so i tested it using Realistic Car Controller and it worked perfectly fine on that!
    However i would much prefer to us Fun Car Kit instead but i really dont like how it stops on each connection of different meshes!

If someone can help me please let me know what im doing wrong and a possible fix!
    You demo scenes work perfectly but i dont understand why when i make a track it doesnt work as perfect!

Please let me know!