Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] FSR 3 - Boost your FPS with AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3.0 (FSR 3) Upscaling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alterego-Games, Nov 4, 2022.

?

What would you be willen to pay for AMD FSR 2.0 support

1. 2 - 5 dollar/euro

2. 5 - 10 dollar/euro

3. 10 - 15 dollar/euro

4. 15 + dollar/euro

5. 0 dollar/euro

6. I'm not interested in FSR

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Nothing different, but we'd be able to talk live instead of having to wait a day on responses! You can find the server here: https://discord.gg/r9jkRzaPtC

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  2. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hello

I've bought it, but it doesn't seem to work alongside other camera effects like Beautify.

hopeful and Alterego-Games like this.
  3. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Sometimes, other plugins do not yet support dynamic resolution scaling like FSR 2 and DLSS do, however, most of the time its easily fixed. What other camera effects do you mean apart from Beautify?

Beautify however has been confirmed to work with FSR 2 and DLSS!

hopeful likes this.
  4. khos

khos

No worrier, I don't like discord, msgs just get lost there and difficult to find.

5. khos

khos

I added the BIRP script to camera, at runtime I see that everything is very dark, here is a sample video (1st camera, then I switch to other camera that does not use FSR2 script):

Why is everything so dark, also notice a quality difference. Have not checked if FPS improvement is seen yet.

6. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

So you have successfully upgraded to a newer Unity version, which version?

I don’t know why everything is so dark, perhaps another effect is breaking FSR.

7. hopeful

hopeful

Beautify 3 has a downscaling option. Does this make FSR 2 redundant when used with Beautify?

If Beautify does benefit from FSR 2, any tips on best usage?

8. khos

khos

I took the plunge, still have to fix several other bugs but might be ok, I went to 2021.3.30f1 and your asset works, but I have no idea why the scene is very dark. Not sure what other effects I should check, eg post processing ones? When switching to other camera that uses the exact same settings it is fine.

9. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Downscaling often gives a fps boost, but makes the game look ugly(low resolution). FSR 2 and DLSS, downscale for the performance boost, then at the end of the rendering, they upscale the image, with (almost magical) algorithms, so it looks good again.

Best to disable all PostProcessing on that camera, see if that fixes the darkness, then enable them 1 by 1, too check which one adds it. Let me know which PP adds the darkness, I’ll help!

Alternatively, it could be a “bug” from updating to 2021. Best to make a screengrab of the camera component, then rightmouse-> Reset on the camera component. I’ve seen camera components being buggy after updating, because they kept some weird hidden deprecated settings.

Keep me posted, here(or on discord) to help!

khos and hopeful like this.
  10. hopeful

hopeful

Any other tips for running FSR 2 with Beautify? IIRC, both have forms of AA and sharpening.

11. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

When using FSR 2, its best to disable all other forms of AA, some may break FSR, but mostly because it will make the upscaling results of FSR look worse.

Other effects like Sharpening, use whatever you think looks best, the FSR 2 sharpening filter is very good, but if you like Beautify more, or think combined is visually best, just choose what looks best!

hopeful likes this.
  12. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

EDIT 2:
    So I found the misbehaving setting: in the HDRP Asset (not frame settings or camera settings) there is a dropdown box for Dynamic Resolution Type. If this is set to Hardware in combination with DX12 enabled, this will screw up FSR2. I don't know what the consequences are for setting this to Software, since the meaning of this checkbox is extremely vague to me despite reading the documentation.

EDIT:
    I got your demo scene to work in U2022.3.8 + HDRP 14 after redoing the custom HDRP package to fix the errors. And it works in DX12 without the busted scaling. This leaves me with a very difficult to find mystery, because in my project DX11 works, but DX12 has the bad scaling in the final frame... so, what's the difference?

Original:
    I'm on 2022.3 LTS and unfortunately the demo project won't open in this version without errors. I think I can fix the issues by deleting the custom HDRP package, re-copying it and applying the customized code lines.

But I'm quite sure that DX12 + 2022.3.8 + FSR2 doesn't work. I will report back.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    Alterego-Games likes this.
  13. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes, in some cases, settings the Dynamic resolution type from "Hardware" to "Software" fixes things, I also haven't yet found out why, and what the exact difference between the two options is. That said, we have it on Software for an internal project as well, and don't see any downside from it (no issues, no performance issues etc).

14. khos

khos

See this video to show that I disable the scripts/postprocessing on the camera, still goes dark, interesting to me is that in the end in the fsr script I set off then it is not dark, that seem to control the behaviour:

15. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I see you’re using the FSR_Birp.cs component, when you are also using the unity Post process stack, its best to use my “custom” version (all detailed in the documentation), as that will integrate FSR 2 in the PP stack itself, which will work a lot better! I think it might also fix the issue you’re having.

Sorry for the confusion, I didn’t think of it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  16. Astfgl

Astfgl

Ideally Beautify itself should integrate FSR2 into its post-processing pipeline, similar to what Alterego's plugin does for the Unity Post-processing Stack. Beautify already has the concept of up/downscaling, so FSR2 should slot in fairly naturally. The FSR2 tech itself is open source, so there's nothing stopping Beautify's developers from integrating it into their plugin.

hopeful likes this.
  17. khos

khos

Thanks, will give it a try

18. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Keep me posted!

19. jg3d

jg3d

URP!

20. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

The latest version does support camera stacking in URP. But only if you use the “overlay” camera’s.

21. jg3d

jg3d

Gotcha- and completely discrete cameras (i.e. going to different displays)?

22. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Hmm, that is something I haven’t tested. It may well work… I’ll run a test for you.

EDIT: I just tested it for you, and unfortunately it doesn't work.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  23. benthroop

benthroop

Probably a silly question, but do I need an AMD GPU for this to work?

24. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

No

benthroop likes this.
  25. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Like @mgeorgedeveloper said, no! FSR 2 has been designed by AMD to not have any specific hardware requirements.

Update: FSR 2 Upscaling for Unity version 1.4.0 has just gone live, featuring many important bugfixes and the highly requested feature of using "Temporal Anti-Aliasing Only", meaning if you do not need the extra performance, you can make use of one of the best Anti-Aliasing solution in the industry!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    Lars-Steenhoff and hopeful like this.
  26. jg3d

jg3d

Thanks for checking! Can I arrange a refund through asset store support?

27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for adding "Temporal Anti-Aliasing Only"

28. osss

osss

The current version of the asset store is still displayed as 1.3.3.
    20231016110352.png

29. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Little mistake on my end I think. I’ll patch it soon together with some other small hotfixes.

lacas8282 likes this.
  30. lacas8282

lacas8282

1.3.3 errors in urp, unity 2022.3.0

upload_2023-10-21_9-14-29.png

31. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

That is strange, I'll check it out!

lacas8282 likes this.
  32. lacas8282

lacas8282

Any news? Also in HDRP I get this: (FSR2_HDRP)

m_mainCamera.fsr2Enabled = true;

what is fsr2Enabled? Can't find..

33. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes the URP issue will be fixed in the upcoming update!

The HDRP issue you're describing sounds like you haven't yet edited the HDRP source files as described in the documentation!

lacas8282 likes this.
  34. lacas8282

lacas8282

I just commented out this two lines. Is it ok?

35. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

If you are referring to HDRP... you are supposed to copy your HDRP package into your packages folder (from the package cache), then you need to tweak two source files. It looks intimidating at first, but it's really actually pretty simple.

You can't comment out the lines to make it work.

lacas8282 likes this.
  36. lacas8282

lacas8282

Thanks, where is it in the documentation, pdf? I couldn't find that

37. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

lacas8282 likes this.
  38. KLGames8207

KLGames8207

39. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

Not to derail you or anything, but I think 2023.2 came out of Beta in the last day or two. Maybe I'm mistaken about the timing.

KLGames8207 likes this.
  40. KLGames8207

KLGames8207

yes, and? I just install it today :D

41. FlowFireGames

FlowFireGames

Great asset, integrated it yesterday in our project and works nicely.
    Apologies, if it has already been answered, but what are your thoughts on FSR 3? Is it generally planned to be integrated as well and is there possibly a timeline?
    Best,

lacas8282 and Alterego-Games like this.
  42. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Thanks!, great to hear you've added FSR 2 to your project. I'm very much into FSR 3, but it has not yet been released to the public as open source. When it is, I will definitely be working on it, but I can't give any timeframe as I first have to take a look at the code and I still have to find a way to be able to add frame generation to Unity!

lacas8282 and FlowFireGames like this.
  43. FlowFireGames

FlowFireGames

Brief feedback, we prefer letting the user use a slider to set the upscaling values themselves and in general prefer higher values for the upscaling instead of the enum the Asset offers. Same applies to Unity DLSS etc.

Changed the code of the Asset to support that on my end, but maybe others would also prefer if the quality enum has a custom setting and the function to set the quiality allows passing a float with the custom scale value.

44. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Thanks for the feedback, I haven't done this as AMD and Nvidia both "highly recommend" to use their default options. I personally think this is because a lot of people do not know what FSR/DLSS or upscaling in general is and what the best settings is. But I'll look into a way to be able to allow both options!

45. FlowFireGames

FlowFireGames

Yes, that is the case. But the settings Nvidia and AMD suggest are way too low.
    The quality is much better when you go closer to 1:1. The real diminishing return cutoff at least in the case of DLSS is roughly at 1:0.85, not 1:0.6 or whatever they do.
    It is because they want to show the big performance difference between with and without on a power point slide. But most games don't need the crazy performance boosts.

46. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

I agree - in our DLSS implementation, I used to have a fairly complicated dynamic scaling value to target some specified frame rate, and changing the upscaling dynamically during play mode. This is sort of in line with the "dynamic resolution" stuff that Unity supports.

But then I integrated with FSR2, and decided to match the DLSS implementation with this approach. Our game can now flip between DLSS and FSR2 (or none), and the upscaling can be set to Auto, or one of the presets. When set to Auto, the system selects a good upscaling value that won't destroy quality when playing lower res (around 1080p), but will aggressively upscale when the output resolution is 4K. So far this auto approach works well - the game always looks good, and 4K runs buttery smooth.

47. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

Depends... this diminishing return cutoff is not a fixed number like 0.85... it depends heavily on stuff like display resolution and how powerful the player's hardware is. For our game to output at 4K at 60FPS, we need to have the scaling at around 0.5 on most systems - and even at that value, I'm hard pressed to see much difference between the native image quality and the upscaled image quality.

I do find though that will FSR2, the quality looks slightly degraded vs. DLSS. So while I can upscale to 4K using 0.5 and see no difference in DLSS, there will be a slight noticeable difference with FSR2.

Areas where a difference can clearly be seen though, is with some flickering issues related to post processes like DOF, if the upscaling injection point is after post process for DLSS. I can't quite remember where the FSR2 upscaling point is in relation to the post processing stuff.

48. FlowFireGames

FlowFireGames

For 4k, that is true, but almost everybody is using 1080p - 1440p and for them it doesn't make sense.
    The diminishing return has nothing to do with your hardware, but the target resolution and how well DLSS/FSR can "compensate" during the upscaling.
    For 4k you don't even need DLSS all that much, even traditional upscaling are pretty fine as you have overall a lot less aliasing in your lower rendered frame already and upscaling errors are on less pixels essentially.
    With DLSS you can just go lower so ofc it is great here also.
    Either way, just letting your customers pick a fixed quality option is almost always not a good tradeoff.

49. blueivy

blueivy

Alterego-Games and hopeful like this.
  50. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

hopeful likes this.