Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] FSR 3 - Boost your FPS with AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3.0 (FSR 3) Upscaling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alterego-Games, Nov 4, 2022.

?

What would you be willen to pay for AMD FSR 2.0 support

1. 2 - 5 dollar/euro

2. 5 - 10 dollar/euro

3. 10 - 15 dollar/euro

4. 15 + dollar/euro

5. 0 dollar/euro

6. I'm not interested in FSR

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

+1 for VR. Thanks!

2. wcavell

wcavell

3. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes I have been able to reproduce this issue, I've added it to the backlog and it'll be fixed in the next patch, not the one currently in review. As it requires quite a bit of editing to make this work properly for all render pipelines.

4. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

I just imported the package into Unity 2023.1.0b19 with HDRP 15.0.5 and am getting 2 errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Alterego Games\AEG FSR\Runtime\HDRP\FSR2_HDRP.cs(181,30): error CS1061: 'HDCamera' does not contain a definition for 'fsr2Enabled' and no accessible extension method 'fsr2Enabled' accepting a first argument of type 'HDCamera' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Alterego Games\AEG FSR\Runtime\HDRP\FSR2_HDRP.cs(275,30): error CS1061: 'HDCamera' does not contain a definition for 'fsr2Enabled' and no accessible extension method 'fsr2Enabled' accepting a first argument of type 'HDCamera' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Alterego-Games likes this.
  5. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

For HDRP you need to edit some files in the HDRP source files. How to do this, and exactly what to do are described in detail in the documentation (both the offline and online, attached in the asset package).

Let me know if you run into any other issues! I haven’t yet tried the asset on the 2023.1 beta or HDRP 15, so if you can, update us on how it works!

Ghosthowl likes this.
  6. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Oh, haha. I didn't even bother to look at the documentation because I saw the errors after import. Doh! Will do.

7. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Not a problem!

8. KristianF

KristianF

Hey, just a quick question. Can I run your FSR2 asset alongside the FSR1 implementation of Unity? Of course only one would be active at a time :)

FSR1 is already in our game and we would like to give FSR2 a try...

9. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

That is no problem, our package sets the upscaling type to Bilinear on start, but you are free to change it to whatever you want, you can even run FSR 1 and FSR 2 combined if you want. However I think you’ll get worse quality fidelity this way. Best is to keep it on Bilinear when FSR 2 is activated!

If you run into any issues, let me know!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  10. Felinde

Felinde

Hi, is there any news about it?

11. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I’m afraid that I haven’t got good news. It appears that WebGL doesn’t support compute shaders, or not fully at least. So untill Unity adds this (If they can) FSR 2 can’t work on WebGL.

Sorry not to have better news for you!

Ryiah and Felinde like this.
  12. midworld

midworld

Sadly, on my iPhone, performance is worse with FSR enabled. Btw it works well. :(

13. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

In an upcoming version (this week or next week), we’ve added fp16 support. This optimizes the cost of FSR itself greatly on the gpu, certainly for mobile platforms like iOS, Android an Switch! (We seen up to ~30% reductions of FSR 2 gpu cost)

blueivy and Ryiah like this.
  14. Astfgl

Astfgl

It's also worth noting that mobile devices tend to have very high resolutions relative to their screen size, with much higher DPI than a typical PC or console. FSR2's performance impact is primarily dictated by the output resolution, so on an iPhone it'll be quite expensive to run when outputting at native resolution. You can try playing around with Unity's resolution scaling option in the player settings to see where the tipping point is with regards to performance. You may lose some of the perfect crispness in the process, but even at lower output resolutions FSR2 will still generate a very clean and sharp image.

Ryiah and Alterego-Games like this.
  15. blueivy

blueivy

You guys are seriously awesome, AMD should hire your team! haha :p

16. manurocker95

manurocker95

Small question here. I just purchased the asset and when testing the demo project (birp) on the steam deck I’m getting 142 fps with FSR2 (balance) and 170 without it. Any idea what could be happening?

17. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I'll let them know! :D

FSR 2 takes a small of GPU power to run its upscaling alghorithm (and Anti-Aliasing), the slower/older the hardware the bigger the GPU hit. In this case, the performance gain is probably smaller then the cost of running FSR 2, because the fps is already pretty high. If you have a project that runs 60 fps, then you'll see very different results. |

I had two people using the Steamdeck that went from ~30 to ~50/60 by using FSR 2.

That said, we're working on a new update for the tool, that uatomatically enables half precision (fp16) when it's supported, which should give better results on hardware like the Steamdeck or mobile as it makes the cost of FSR 2 a lot smaller (up to ~30%).

18. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

Hello!

We currently have DLSS enabled in our HDRP project, and we're using a custom function (C#) to determine the scaling factor dynamically. I'm assuming it should be simple to carry this logic over to your FSR2 system? Basically, I need to be able to set the current scaling factor via our own script.

Then regarding the HDRP source modification - how risky do you think this is? I don't know which file(s) / lines need modifying, but I worry about a sudden change in the HDRP source when I swap versions, and then being stuck with incompatible code. Can you describe in a bit more detail what the nature of this modification is?

EDIT: another important one... does this work in DX11? I noticed this mentioned further up somewhere, but I need to know that it will work in HDRP + DX11. We cannot currently use DX12 because it tanks our frame rate severely and we don't have an explanation currently.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  19. Felixsg

Felixsg

Hi I already buy, but in the video I Try to see how install the urp,but appear the instruction are for hdrp
    In the pdf are very simple and I lost in how add to universal
    I use Unity LTS in 2022.3.1f

20. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

1: This shouldn't be a problem, but it might require a bit of a change. Of your custom function, but you can call our "OnSetQuality" function to change between scaling factors.

2: The source modifications require 2 (small) changes described in detail here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...qpAnW2_mG4u4HJ-mk/edit#heading=h.r3f5qcglnj4t. Everytime you update to a new HDRP version, you simply have to delete the source files, upgrade and redo the changes. Which shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. The changes required have been tested on Unity 2021.3, 2022.1, 2022.2, 2022.3, 2023.1 and 2023.2 alpha. For 2023 and up the changes are a bit different, but thats also described in the document.

3: DX11 is supported!

4: Bonus edit, DLSS and FSR 2 don't work well together, however you can swap between them easily by enabling one and disabling the other.

Ryiah and mgeorgedeveloper like this.
  21. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Hi, thanks for your interest in our FSR 2 asset! For URP you only need to add the FSR_URP script to your camera as described in the documentation. You don't need to make any changes to the URP source files.

The video on the store does show for Built-in, URP and HDRP in this order. URP starts at 2:21

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    hkalterkait likes this.
  22. TylkoDemon

TylkoDemon

Hello, after a recent update, I was finally able to test your package in Unity 2022.3.2f1 LTS. One typo inside the documentation is that changes for UNITY 2023.1 or newer need to be applied to 2022.3 as well as HDRP 14.0.8 seems to have updates to the internal DynamicResolutionHandler.UpsamplerScheduleType UpsampleSyncPoint() as well.

I'm still playing with the assets but my first impressions are that the results even on the quality present are really jittery but that's actually not my current issue. I'm wondering if you guys ever had a chance to play with GPU Instancer + its crowd extension. While normal instanced objects behave fine (but I'm guessing that's the case as they're static and not moving), the problems start with moving instanced characters. This looks like they do not write motion vector data properly and they distort really hard. As far as I know, GPU Instacer should write motion vectors, so I'm currently trying to track the issue.
    It seems to me like part of it is just GPU Instancer issue with the motion vectors, but I just wanted to let you guys know, as I feel it's an asset that is quite frequently used by people.

23. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I'll have to check from which HDRP version the function has been changed and update the documentation accordingly, thanks for the headsup @TylkoDemon

About your jittery results, can you send me some video's of what you mean, because this shouldn't happen.

About GPU Instancer, its very possible that this plugin doesn't correctly write to the motion vector buffer, which adds a lot of ghosting/trailing behind objects when they are animating/moving. O they do, but not the vertex displacements. Do let me know if you happen to find what causes it, I'll look into it as well.

24. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

A side note regarding jitters - I will just mention here that we have a lot of jitter issues in DLSS as well (Unity HDRP official DLSS). My memory is faded a bit on this, but I think making a custom Unlit shader graph for UI, caused jitters. Also, when using DOF (volume override), I can see jitters in the blurred camera view.

So I don't know if these kind of jitters are similar to the edge cases in FSR where jitters are seen, but it's interesting to note.

25. manurocker95

manurocker95

I will try with some other projects to check that btw, any eta for that update?

26. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I will send it to Unity's store review tomorrow!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  27. Felixsg

Felixsg

Ok I see the video but at least for me when Start the URP configuration at the exact moment of the main camera click, the video Show URP message but is the hdrp configuration.
    Thanks

28. Necka_

Necka_

Hi there, sorry if that was already asked but: Do you plan on updating your asset along with any future FSR 2 updates and improvements?
    I'm not super experienced with FSR but for example DLSS had v2, v2.1, etc. and (most of the time) DLSS 2 got better which I hope would be the same for FSR2.

29. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

You are right, I’m so sorry there has been a error in rendering the video. I’ll update it today!

But for URP there is almost no setup required, just add the FSR_URP.cs to the Camera!

Absolutely, we aim to keep supporting FSR 2 with future updates. As we already have. Version 1.1 updated FSR from 2.2.0a to 2.2.1.

30. lacas8282

lacas8282

upload_2023-6-22_7-58-14.png

where? It is URP, unity 2022 LTS

31. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I ment the dynamic scaling boolean, but I see its disabled. Maybe if you enable it it’ll work in your case.

32. AnthonyBall

AnthonyBall

When I added the script to my camera, the urp post effects stopped working, turning off the fsr script turns them back on. Your demo seems to work great, but I can't see how you are keeping the post effects working - any idea what I'm missing?

33. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Are you using Unity’s Post Processing effects(like in our demo)? Or are you using plugins?

34. fra3point

fra3point

Hello!

I'm experimenting your solution and it works fine so far (URP, Unity 2022.2.13). Great job! ;)

I'm trying to integrate FSR2 into my graphic settings menu, which lets players configure a bunch of things, including MSAA. I was wondering how does FSR work when MSAA is enabled. After some tests, it seems that when FSR is active MSAA doesn't contribute at all, but I'm not sure if MSAA still gets calculated and then discarded.

So my question is: is it better to disable MSAA when FSR is active from a performance standpoint?

Thanks in advance!
    Francesco

EDIT: After some further testing I've discovered that MSAA actually contributes to the final image quality. I'm not sure if FSR is executed before or after MSAA, but using both produces overall better results.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    Alterego-Games and blueivy like this.
  35. blueivy

blueivy

That's good to know MSAA still works with FSR. I wonder if other post processing based AA like SMAA or FXAA could work as well if it's placed before or after the FSR pass. I know technically it's not needed since FSR already does AA but just as a possibility.

36. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

All other AA will work, except for TAA. However, AMD states that all other AA should be disabled when using FSR 2 for the best image quality. FSR 2 has a built-in TAA solution that is one of the the best TAA you can get for Unity.

Astfgl and blueivy like this.
  37. fra3point

fra3point

A little hint for URP users:

if you use a Post Process Volume and while FSR is active you don't see some of the effects you you have added to your profile (for example Bloom), enable the "Stop NaNs" option in your rendering camera. That should fix the issue.

38. pwka

pwka

It would be great to have TAA Only option as someone previously suggested, without scaling up.

39. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

EDIT: indeed - there is a section in the documentation that clearly shows how to copy the package elsewhere. But I think to make the documentation idiot-proof, you need to link to this section in red text, from the section that shows you which files/lines to modify. I impatiently jumped straight to that section with the modification instructions.

Hello! My apologies if I missed some info and I'm doing it wrong... but I'm following the simple instructions to tweak the HDCamera file in the location showed in the documentation. The trouble is, I cannot actually modify this file because each time I switch back to Unity, the packages "resolve" and the file is restored to its original, leaving me with the error "no definition for fsr2Enabled".

Are we supposed to copy these files out to another location first?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  40. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

OK, I have a basic setup working and I have some initial results.

Similar to HDRP DLSS, we have issues with any UI that is not Overlay. Any world-space UI or camera-space UI, will jitter like crazy.

In the case of DLSS, we could resolve this by ensuring that we do not use custom Shader Graph materials, and stick to using the built-in UI material only. I don't know why this worked, but it gave us a work-around. Now in the case of FSR2, the jitters are back and it makes most of the world/camera UI elements unfeasible.

Now parking this issue for a moment, I have some questions regarding the dynamic scale factor:

We have our own dynamic scale factor algorithm, so how would you recommend I approach this? Is it best to just make a copy of FSR2_HDRP.cs, and then write our own code to determine the scale factor?

P.S. second question - the documentation says to set the minimum scale factor to 33 in the HDRP asset - does this setting actually have any effect in your FSR2 implementation? I'm curious about why it needs to be set to 33.

41. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

AMD states that “best practice” would be to to set the scaling only by using FSR and the according scale to the dynamic resolution. By default, everytime you change the FSR quality, we change the dynamic resolution. I haven’t experimented with changing the dynamic res other them recommended by AMD but it might work.

Easiest would be to change the FSR quality based on performance through the OnSetQuality Api of our asset.

It doesn’t have anything to do with FSR specifically, it just states the lowest allowed resolution. “Ultra Performance” sets it to 33.

About the additional UI camera’s, total camera stacking for all renderpipelines is on my todo list, but will need quite a refactor so it might take a while!

42. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

This is not camera stacking - simply having a UI set to "Screen Space - Camera" instead of "Screen Space - Overlay", or having a UI set to "World Space". Anything other than "Screen Space - Overlay" causes jitter in the UI for me. I will drop a video tomorrow if possible.

Regarding the "33" minimum - I assumed as much by looking at their standard scaling, and that Ultra Performance matches 33%. So to confirm, this base minimum scaling factor is also used by your FSR2 implementation (i.e. various of the HDRP related dynamic res settings are in use, and not bypassed)

Finally regarding the scaling factor - after looking into it a bit more, I do realise now it's meant to be used a little differently from DLSS - instead of this totally dynamic scaling factor between 0..1, I will simply stick to the quality presets, and probably will implement my DLSS scaler to use the same presets.

43. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

1. I will look into that, maybe I can find a way to make it work!

2. Yeah.

3. That is probably best for now. I’m researching better ways, but AMD do know they’re stuff!;)

44. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

I'm attempting to look into this, but things are confusing to say the least (on the part of HDRP). BTW, this is all in the context of HDRP and Unity 2022.3.2.

BACKGROUND: we need to draw "Screen Space - Camera" and "Screen Space - World" user interfaces. The world ones are sort of obvious to justify - we have interactable objects with UI pop-ups in the world. The reason we use "Screen Space - Camera", is because unlit Shader Graphs for the UI (i.e. custom UI materials), do not work in "Screen Space - Overlay" UIs. Additionally, we like to apply some 3D effects to UI elements, which only work correctly in "Screen Space - Camera" mode.

Now, if we simply render UIs like these, you can imagine that the post processing layer will apply over them, which is bad. For this reason, we render the UI layer in a custom pass, with its injection point set to After Post Process.

It is this combination of a Camera/World UI + AfterPostProcess + FSR, that results in the jitter.

(It also has to be said that in the case of DLSS, the jitter is present ONLY where we use custom shader graphs for the UI, and the jitter is absent where the built-in UI shader is used)

So, I'm looking at the frame debugger to learn more, and I cannot for the life of me figure out at which exact point the FSR upscaling is done. See here:

FSR2_frame_debub.png

The part that confuses me, is that clearly this default fallback upscale filter is in play (HDRP asset settings):

default-upscale-filter.png

I know this, because if I change away from Catmull Rom to something else, the visuals change completely. So that begs the question, if this fallback upscale filter is used, then:

1. Where is it injected?
    2. How and where exactly is FSR2 upscaling done then?

UPDATE: I found this section relating to jittering and TAA:

taa-jitter.png

And indeed - if I set the UI custom pass to BeforePostProcess, the jittering stops. The depth test solution has no effect. Of course I can't practically move the UI layer to Before Post Process, because the entire point is the render it after post process.

What can we infer from this? It seems that at least partially, something related to TAA is still in play here possibly? The camera's anti-aliasing is set to None while FSR2 is active, so it's not that.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  45. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

You could try to inject “After TAA”. I’m away from the office for a while so I can’t look into it indepth. FSR 2 is injected at “Before TAA”. And because FSR 2 has a TAA solution inside it, it requires a camera jitter which we apply in our code.

46. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

When it comes to custom passes, the injection points are a bit different from custom post process. Since we have to draw the UI after all post processing is done, our only real option is After Post Process:

UI-custom-pass-injection.png

And this injection point seems unhappy with any kind of TAA jittering, as per the Unity documentation (screenshot in my previous post).

Since my frame buffer debugging so far has been unfruitful and confusing, I can't really tell exactly why or what the issue is. In my mind, it should be possible to negate the jitter effect or disable it at the point where we're trying to draw UI elements to unjittered screen coords, but how to approach this problem right now is a bit our of reach for the time being (maybe a shader hack or something).

P.S. I understand how complicated and possibly stressful it is when I'm dropping this whole new edge case on you, so just to let you know there's no pressure, I'm just trying to give as much info as possible in the hope that something clicks and some solution might come to light. I'm still trying other things from my side too.

47. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Ah yes, custom pp have different injection points. I have seen that HDRP has indeed a way to negate the jitter. But can’t remember where it is located…

Don’t worry about stressing me out! I made a choice when adding the asset to the asset store and I want to help as many people with FSR 2 as I can. Its just that I am currently on holiday without any form of desktop pc, so it’s all from memory;)

pwka likes this.
  48. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

I had encountered a similar issue a few years back with another effect and TAA solution in BIRP. The effect I had caused jitter problems if it was rendered before TAA. My workaround back then was to dig into the source code for the post processing, and I added another injection point somewhere in between before and after post process, and used that for my effect. Hope this helps

49. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

Thanks for the info. I will look into the details a bit more in the coming days.

Although this system's jitter vs. DLSS jitter vs. HDRP TAA jitter are technically unrelated (probably), the outcome is similar.

Notice that the jitter issue only happens when you render AFTER the passes that actually utilise jitter. See here (details in the text):

jitter-diagram.png

50. Bwacky

Bwacky

Hey again :D

Work was all fine and dandy till I made a build today and completely out of nowhere FSR stopped working in playmode.
    I have an error with it now, but not sure what causes it - nothing changed between before the error popped up other than me making a build.

Here's the errors I get now:

When entering play-mode this is what I see now - the cursor just keeps dragging across the screen and UI elements bug out :(

Disable the FSR render feature and it goes back to normal:

Unity 2022.3.1f1 & 4f1 same issue, running URP. The only thing stopping these issues is deleting the FSR render feature from the Renderer assets. Not using XR in my project. Any ideas about what could've happened?

I deleted the entire library folder, tried a few Unity versions, and re-installed the FSR package a few times from the Asset Store. Not sure what else I can try at this point.