Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] FSR 3 - Boost your FPS with AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3.0 (FSR 3) Upscaling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alterego-Games, Nov 4, 2022.

?

What would you be willen to pay for AMD FSR 2.0 support

1. 2 - 5 dollar/euro

2. 5 - 10 dollar/euro

3. 10 - 15 dollar/euro

4. 15 + dollar/euro

5. 0 dollar/euro

6. I'm not interested in FSR

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bwacky

Bwacky

I read some horror stories of people waiting 3 months till their assets got out of the queue. They really need more manpower on that team.

Do you have a public doc for it that's going to be coming alongside the asset store description?
    Curious about what the setup is like for URP :)

2. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

It looks like they have manpower issues indeed.

We have a documentation that will go public once we're through the queue, but the current URP setup requires two steps once the package is imported.

Step 1: Add our FSR script to your Main camera.
    Step 2: Add our FSR Scriptable Render Feature to the Universal Renderer Data file.

Done:)

lacas8282, saskenergy and Bwacky like this.
  3. Bwacky

Bwacky

That's surprisingly simple :)
    Expected something more involved like NGSS had it.
    Thank you for the answer!

4. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

We're currently continuing our work on the FSR 2.2 implementation while we're in the queue. So it is possible to further improve stability and upscaling quality, we'll have to edit the HDRP and URP source files, this would add an additional step to the setup. But it's our intention to make it as easy as possible with the best possible results:)

5. gsylvain

gsylvain

It will work on Vulkan and URP. So in theory, can we expect trying it on mobile? If yes, do you have any stats and fps gain to share? :) Thank you!

6. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Well, actually currently it doesn't! FSR 2 is builded into a c++ .dll, we'll have to port this to a library that would be supported for Android. Its on our wishlist, but first on this list is publishing the asset itself!

[Edit] due to changes in the architecture, it’ll work on mobile too. And it all depends on your project how much gain you’ll receive, but early testing shows it can give big fps boosts (double the fps even)

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    gsylvain likes this.
  7. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Worked on improving FSR for URP even further. Now we support URP 12 and up, without the need to edit the renderpipeline sourcefiles!

gsylvain and lacas8282 like this.
  8. lacas8282

lacas8282

Any news? Can download? And also DLSS will be a great thing

9. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

We should be going live within the month, if Unity keeps processing the queue at the same average speed!

Egi010 and lacas8282 like this.
  10. lacas8282

lacas8282

sent a PM!

11. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

may i ask about the console support status? do you guys plan to still look into it? and which consoles?
    (Switch perhaps? :D ~>:eek: ~> :oops: ~> :()

12. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

We’re not sure if its possible for PS5 and Switch, but its something we’ll definitely be looking into together with other wishlisted items.

13. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

That would be great. I wonder how many of us in here are making games for consoles as well as PC\ Mobile? :rolleyes:

14. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I know I am;)

15. Mars91

Mars91

I saw on your side that you shipped game son PS and Xbox, did you manage to test your FSR2 solution on those paltform?

PS: Is release still scheduled for this month?

16. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

The current version of our FSR 2 implementation does not work on the Playstation and Xbox, however I have high hopes that we'll be able to make it work for the PS5 and Xbox Series.

[Edit] It does support those platforms now!

The first release version is ready and has been ready for a while now, the only thing holding us back is the Unity Asset store review team's speed:(

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  17. Astfgl

Astfgl

Before I begin, a small disclaimer: my goal is not to self-promote here, I simply want FSR2 to be available and usable for as many Unity devs as possible, to do what Unity themselves seem unwilling to do.

I just open sourced the result of a research project into FSR2 for Unity here in this thread, which at first glance might seem like it does the same as Alterego's project but I think we've actually come to two very different solutions for the same problem. I'm hoping we can learn a few things from each other.

This suggests to me that you went for a native rendering plugin approach. That is a logical approach, as FSR2 is delivered by AMD as a C++ library that is intended to be statically linked into your engine. So it makes sense to wrap that inside a native plugin and to integrate FSR2 into Unity that way.

The downside to this approach however is that FSR2's shaders and dispatch layers remain completely separated from Unity and you don't take advantage of Unity's multi-platform abstraction capabilities at all. It also means that by default you're restricted to the graphics APIs that FSR2 supports out of the box, i.e. DX12 and Vulkan, with DX11 and Xbox optionally available if you have the right contacts and licenses. Adding support for any other platforms would mean having to manually port FSR2's shaders to each platform's own shader language, as well as having to write a custom graphics abstraction layer for each platform's native graphics API. While logical at first, the native plugin approach is setting yourself up for a lot of work in the long term.

For my research project this approach was a no-go, as broad platform and graphics API support was a key goal from the start. Instead I took a different approach: I only kept the HLSL shader sources from the FSR2 repository, wrapped those in Unity compute shader assets, and then ported the dispatch layer from C++ to C# using Unity's graphics API. There are no native plugins involved, only Unity C# code. It was a bit of a long shot whether this would work at all but it did, and it gave me support for many different platforms almost for free. DX11, OpenGL Core and Xbox just worked, and for Metal and PlayStation only a minimal amount of tinkering was required. I've done some preliminary testing on mobile as well; Android just worked too and iOS seems close to working, though I don't have a recent enough Apple device to properly test it right now.

Since your goal in the long term is to support as many platforms as possible, I would suggest at the very least having a look at how I did things. You might find some useful ideas in there. You've done a lot of research into URP and HDRP integration already that I haven't, so I'm hoping that by putting our minds together we'll be able to get the best possible FSR2 implementation out there for all Unity devs.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    hkalterkait, gsylvain, pwka and 4 others like this.
  18. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Consider yourselfe PM’ed!:)

Astfgl likes this.
  19. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Good news, by integrating the amazing work done by @Astfgl FSR 2 is now no longer platform dependent!

We're currently in the process of testing platform support.

Current confirmed platforms:
    • Windows (DX11, DX12, Vulkan)
    • MacOS - Intel & Silicon (Metal)
    • Linux (Vulkan)
    Will update the thread when new platforms have been confirmed!

20. Bwacky

Bwacky

Do you have a storefront / official website where we could buy the asset earlier? Unity takes 2 to even 3 months to approve an asset nowadays and honestly, I lack the patience to wait till they decide to approve something other than a 3D model of a bench.

21. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Unfortunately not, but we should be through the queue in a week or so!

Confirmed mobile platforms:
    • iOS (Metal)
    • Android (Vulkan)

Egi010, saskenergy and Astfgl like this.
  22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Nintendo Switch ?

23. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

We're currently testing Xbox One/Series, Playstation 4/5 and de Switch.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  24. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great to hear!

Alterego-Games likes this.
  25. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Switch is confirmed!

Astfgl and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Super!
    :)
    on both Default pipeline and URP?

27. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

On the Built-in, URP and HDRP.

28. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Xbox One and Xbox Series also confirmed!

Astfgl likes this.
  29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I mean for Switch, does it support both URP and BIRB?

30. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes, all three renderpipelines are supported on all the confirmed platforms!

To top it all off, PS4 and PS5 as well.

saskenergy, Astfgl and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  31. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Well this escalated quickly. :D

32. Kevin-VFX

Kevin-VFX

saskenergy likes this.
  33. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

It very much depends on the project. FSR2 takes longer to process on older/slower gpu architecture. But you lower the resolution by a factor of 1.5, 1.7, 2.0 or 3.0 which is a lot!

On my test project I doubled the fps from native to Ultra Performance on the Switch.

But time will tell how well it will perform on each platform.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  34. Astfgl

Astfgl

FSR2 is probably not the most ideal upscaling solution for mobile platforms, but if it works then hey, why not just try it and see for yourself? The benefit you get from FSR2 depends a lot on the project you're using it with and the specifics of its rendering load. For example, a fillrate-heavy game can gain a lot from FSR2 on a memory bandwidth-starved system.

When I was initially testing my solution I was very skeptical whether it would be worth it on the old 8th gen consoles (base Xbox One and PS4), as I was seeing GPU times of 5-6 ms just for running the FSR2 process to upscale to 1080p. Surely that amount of GPU time could never be compensated by rendering the game at a lower internal resolution? But I was wrong; in fact on those old consoles FSR2 was nothing short of a game changer. Not only did it massively improve the image quality, we could also ditch the dynamic resolution system we had in place and just stick to 1080p output, while improving a wavering 20-30 fps performance line to a steady, locked 30 fps at most times. Some foliage-heavy in-game scenes saw performance improve from the low 20's to mid-40's fps. That makes a huge difference for the playability.

Your mileage may vary of course and it's still a bit too early to say how much iOS, Android and Switch will benefit from FSR2 in real-world scenarios, but just the fact that it works is really cool.

35. Mars91

Mars91

Wait already working on PS5 and Series? Any chance to get it working for One and PS4?
    Any plan for switch?

EDIT: Ok I just read it basically works on all consoles?

36. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes, it works on all “previous gen” consoles. We’ve seen good results on the switch!

Astfgl and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  37. Mars91

Mars91

Nice! It' sjust Unity's turn now.

38. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I think next week we’ll be able to release, looking at the queue.

39. ParacyteZero

ParacyteZero

What's the status on VR support?

40. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

We’ve not tested it, but I think it won’t work yet. Its on the wishlist though, so maybe in a future update.

41. NathanJeeves

NathanJeeves

omg cant wait to put this in our project.

Astfgl and Alterego-Games like this.
  42. doreamonsky

doreamonsky

really looking forward to this solution on mobile. It can benfits us a lot

43. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Its great the community fixes stuff...

But it baffles me that Unity can't add this stuff into core engine (URP AND HDRP), DLSS is still HDRP only, Fidelity FX is still 1.0 where we have 3.0 version. Or give an ability like in UE to be able to download the plugin from Nvidia or AMD site and just drag and drop it into the engine.

This S*** is almost mandatory now to have :).

44. Astfgl

Astfgl

Hard agree. It baffled me to learn that Unity decided internally that they were going to skip FSR 2 in favor of their own in-house upscaling solution (which I assume is TAAU), when obviously game devs really want to have it as an option and gamers expect modern games to support it. And even if Unity did implement it, it would probably have been HDRP only. It's part of the reason why I stubbornly went ahead with porting FSR2 myself, just to prove that it was possible.

45. Bwacky

Bwacky

For some very inexplicable reason, Unity tends to frequently go with rolling their own solutions, which end up being inferior to those already available on the market elsewhere. It's as if using some already established and made by companies with experience in said field is a stain on their badge of honor.

46. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

In their defense, often (like DLSS), another company doesn't create a solution that fits within Unity's multi-platform mindframe.

However, they did implement DLSS (RTX only), and did not do FSR 2 (multi-platform), so maybe their just in a panic.

47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Based off of the URP FSR 1.0 implementation being in AMD's repositories I'm of the opinion that the actual work for these was by AMD and NVIDIA not Unity.

https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX-FSR-Unity-URP

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  48. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

49. Bwacky

Bwacky

Small question on my part - hope you guys don't suffer from the same stupid bug, but enabling SMAA (2022.2.every version I tried so far) while running URP 14 & Deferred, breaks mask functionality for UI Canvas.
    No AA:

upload_2023-5-24_22-8-1.png

With SMAA:

upload_2023-5-24_22-8-19.png

The circle/border masks the avatar, as you can tell. Was wondering if a similar issue appears / if you've encountered it with FSR during testing or so.

50. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Haven’t seen anything like that. FSR 2 uses its own TAA, which shouldn’t have anything to do with the UI pass.

Bwacky likes this.