Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] FSR 3 - Boost your FPS with AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3.0 (FSR 3) Upscaling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alterego-Games, Nov 4, 2022.

?

What would you be willen to pay for AMD FSR 2.0 support

1. 2 - 5 dollar/euro

2. 5 - 10 dollar/euro

3. 10 - 15 dollar/euro

4. 15 + dollar/euro

5. 0 dollar/euro

6. I'm not interested in FSR

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. manurocker95

manurocker95

Alterego-Games likes this.
  2. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes FSR 3 will be a free update, I already have the upscaling part working. Digging into the frame generation currently!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  3. Rollergoose

Rollergoose

Any guesses when the FSR 3 will be ready for publishing?

4. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Hopefully tomorrow!

hopeful likes this.
  5. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

Hang on, you're saying FRS3 will drop quite soon? I'm thinking "maybe we see this in February".

6. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes the FSR 3 Upscaling update has just been pushed to the stores for review. Keep in mind, this doesn't yet have the Frame Generation feature, this wil take a lot longer.

hopeful and mgeorgedeveloper like this.
  7. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

The FSR 3 update has been released!

8. caden3ds

caden3ds

Will this work for a URP Oculus Quest project?

9. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

No, URP is supported but VR not yet.

10. caden3ds

caden3ds

Do you have an ETA for VR support?

11. caden3ds

caden3ds

Wait what about VR with the built in renderer?

12. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

No ETA for VR yet, sorry. What I ment was that all renderpipelines are supported. VR implementation in Unity is a bit messy which makes implementing FSR and DLSS quite tricky…

13. arwe2793

arwe2793

How fsr 3 performance is for oculus quest 2? I tried unity built in fidelity FX and to be honest performance is pretty bad. Instead i set it on automatic upscaling and it did wonders

14. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Sorry FSR 3 doesn’t yet work for the quest 2 (no VR support yet).

15. caden3ds

caden3ds

make sure the render scale is less than 1 when using the built in ffx

16. Genebris

Genebris

Does the update completely replace FSR 2 with 3? Are there any possible of advantages of 2 over 3?

17. Astfgl

Astfgl

No, the upscaling part of FSR 3.0 is exactly the same as FSR 2.2, so it makes FSR2 entirely obsolete.

lacas8282 and Genebris like this.
  18. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes as there is is very little difference between the upscaling part of FSR 2 and 3 I decided to remove it. No advantages of using 2 over 3!

lacas8282 and Genebris like this.
  19. lacas8282

lacas8282

Support fluid motion frames?

20. lacas8282

lacas8282

What is the advantages on FSR3 over 2.2? What is the news?

Thanks

21. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

FSR 3 lays the foundation for FG and it has a very small improved performance in fp16, not much else is new. FG is still a long time off, I’m stressed for time between offering my hands-om support, my oen project and I just started my own Youtube channel (https://youtube.com/@The-Naked-Dev?si=kyG6QToXLV97i7vK).

So I’ll update when there is more news on FG!

22. wechat_os_Qy0wjJu8HfrxMdl_SEqMPQlH8

wechat_os_Qy0wjJu8HfrxMdl_SEqMPQlH8

Is it normal for my rendering delay to increase from 3.1ms to 6.0ms after enabling FSR3.0 in an empty scene.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  23. Astfgl

Astfgl

Yeah that's normal. Running FSR upscaling isn't free and if you're not rendering anything else, then FSR will have a disproportionately large impact on the overall frametime. Because FSR has a fixed time cost that only depends on the chosen input and output resolutions, once you start adding more and more things to render to the scene, that fixed time cost will become proportionally smaller. The idea is that FSR's time cost eventually gets nullified by the time savings of rendering your scene at a lower internal resolution.

24. lacas8282

lacas8282

This new fsr3 not working in my build in hdrp. It is just zooming in and thats all.
    What is the issue?

25. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

It can be any number of things, did you previously have FSR 2 working correctly? If so, then it’s probably something small, in the way you upgraded. Easiest way to check is to download my demo project and compare the hdrp settings with your project.

If that doesn’t help, it may be easiest to join my discord so we can chat in real-time (https://discord.gg/r9jkRzaPtC)

lacas8282 likes this.
  26. lacas8282

lacas8282

Is it working in unity 2023?

27. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes, I've just updated by demo projects (BIRP, URP and HDRP) and tested them in Unity 2023.2 and they work as they are supposed to. Are you using other AA by any chance?

28. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

Hello!

EDIT: no worries, the custom pass injection point had to be re-added in the HDRP settings.

After using FSR2 successfully for a few months up to U2022.3.12, today I quickly updated to U2022.3.18 + FSR3.

I deleted and imported FSR3 from scratch, and copied the HDRP package and made the 2 mods. No errors so far so good.

However, when I run with FSR3 upscaling, the scene is rendered into a subsection of the final buffer. So the bottom-left corner will contain the image... like the upscale part is not happening.

Will it be possible for you to confirm 2022.3.18 is working correctly?

lacas8282 and Alterego-Games like this.
  29. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yeah, its easy to forget these steps, I always do!

I have confirmed FSR 3 and DLSS to be working on versions from 2021 to 2023! There are a few Unity versions (namely early 2021 LTS versions) that have issues, but most work out of the box!

30. lacas8282

lacas8282

I think this is the issue with me too.
    How to readd? Thanks

31. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

By redoing step 3 in the HDRP quick start in the documentation!

lacas8282 likes this.
  32. wechat_os_Qy0wjJu8HfrxMdl_SEqMPQlH8

When the frame rate is too low (only about twenty frames, and the MotionVector is in effect), the model loses its anti aliasing function when it moves. Is this because the frame rate is too low, resulting in large intervals between each frame, making the mixing of historical frames almost ineffective? Can frame generation solve this problem.

33. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yeah, the lower the framerate, the less effective upscaling works. Frame Generation would mostl likely not fix this.

34. wechat_os_Qy0wjJu8HfrxMdl_SEqMPQlH8

I would like to ask what the purpose of "ReactiveMask" is, is it necessary? At present, it is difficult for me to put him into my own rendering pipeline. Does he use one frame to jitters and one frame to not jitters to detect edge positions? He copied the color buffer twice, which is relatively expensive for me, but I have not seen what specific effect it has on FSR3.

35. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

The reactive mask grabs the color buffer twice, once before transparencies are rendered and once after. That way FSR can calculate which objects are rendered in the transparency pass. That way objects that aren’t normally added to the depth buffer and/or motion vector buffer can still be upscaled.

If you don’t have those kind of objects, then you can simply disable it.

36. wechat_os_Qy0wjJu8HfrxMdl_SEqMPQlH8

It's strange that there is an opaque object and a transparent object in my scene. Whether I grab a frame in RenderDoc or use frameDebugger to watch, OpaqueBuffer still has a transparent object. It looks almost the same as AfterOpaqueBuffer, and the result calculated in 'ReactivePass' is black, and whether I turn on the ReactiveMask or not, the transparent object has a magnifying effect, But when moving, the amplification effect will go wrong, and turning on ReactivePass will slightly alleviate this problem

After analysis, I found that in version URP2022.3.12, it seems that the RenderTargetBuffer does not clear color information but depth information after rendering. During the Opaque process, the opaque object is redrawn by redrawing the color buffer of the previous frame and writing the depth information of the opaque object in this frame, But at this point, the color information of the Transparent object from the previous frame is also retained, and the transparent object from the previous frame is removed during the Skybox stage due to the depth writing of the Skybox. However, the OpaqueBuffer of the ReactiveMask is obtained before the Skybox, so the OpaqueBuffer at this time includes the opaque object from this frame and the transparent object from the previous frame. Is this normal?Or is FSR3 using this difference to calculate the amplification result?

Calculating ReactiveMask can also cause jitters and blurring on the edges of opaque and transparent objects, even if the scene is not moving and there are no transparent objects. I think it may be due to the VP matrix jitters in the model.Is this normal?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  37. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Are you able to create an example project for me that showcases this? And can you PM me those RenderDoc grabs (if you export them as XML+ZIP)?

38. Kubold

Kubold

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

It worked when I first deleted the "native" Unity postprocessing pack and then restarted the engine. Then installed your postprocessing pack, and then restarted the engine again.

Does it work with Unity 2023.2.9f1 in Built-In RP?

When I install your postprocessing pack from Git I get this:

Kernel 'KGenLut3D_AcesTonemap' not found
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

ArgumentException: Kernel 'KGenLut3D_AcesTonemap' not found.
    UnityEngine.ComputeShader.FindKernel (System.String name) (at <6b66e7caaeb045048a0fbc11f111e6fa>:0)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.ColorGradingRenderer.RenderHDRPipeline3D (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@d9065585f3/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/ColorGrading.cs:477)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.ColorGradingRenderer.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@d9065585f3/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/ColorGrading.cs:426)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessEffectRendererExtensions.RenderOrLog (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessEffectRenderer self, UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@d9065585f3/PostProcessing/Runtime/Utils/PostProcessEffectRendererExtensions.cs:23)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

The game works but everything is darkened and the game is spamming those errors.

In 2023.2.9f1 the postprocessing is v. 3.4, while your stack is 3.2.3. Maybe that is the problem?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  39. jinil_neo

jinil_neo

Hello,

After the camera teleports, I see residual edge lines from the previous frame. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

40. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yes, there is a function you can call to remedy this. Its called OnResetCamera() and is described in the documentation!

41. diakou

diakou

Hey Alterego, we'd love to use your FSR for our project, but we were unsure if you had re-tested FSR for unity's latest beta's that have WebGPU. As compute shaders now exist, I see no reason why it would not work?

42. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I ran a quick test, and it appears it doesn't work. I'll have to investigate further to see if WebGPU has enough compute shader support.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  43. Astfgl

Astfgl

I've done some research on WebGPU a few months ago, after Unity released their first alphas with support for it. The gist of it is: while compute shaders are supported and working, there are still limitations to the buffer formats it supports, which requires some awkward workarounds in both shader and dispatching code. I'm not sure yet if this is a limitation in WebGPU in general, or just Unity's implementation of it.

The full story I've documented in this Github issue: https://github.com/ndepoel/FSR2Unity/issues/6#issuecomment-1862801808

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  44. diakou

diakou

Hey @brendanduncan_u3d is this something you/your team can look into? I can’t entirely see no reason why unity’s implementation of webGPU wouldn’t be able to support this with a fix to either?

webgl2 and the likes definitely would not be able to support the currently outlined forms of FSR, but as far as I know webgpu should be capable here!

Astfgl likes this.
  45. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@diakou It's certainly something we can investigate for WebGPU, but there are a number of factors why it might not work, which have to do with the WebGPU specification and not necessarily the Unity implementation of WebGPU. The WebGPU as a spec does not have everything the other APIs have, though that will improve over time as the spec committee has time to mature they have time to add things we've been requesting.

46. blueivy

blueivy

47. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Yeah I have high hopes for FSR 3.1!! again, a free update to my FSR 3 asset ofc!

Astfgl, TanselAltinel and JesOb like this.
  48. astracat111

astracat111

Is this compatible with Beautify and the Built-in Render pipeline?

49. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

I have had some support requests with people having issues, but that was mostly with Beautify and URP and we were able to fix them easily. So they should work together!

50. robert_unity398

robert_unity398

@Alterego-Games Hi, do you think its possible to not edit HDRP source files? I've spend some days to look for a way to implement FSR3 without changing HDRP but with no result.