Search Unity

Games [Released] Flufftopia - An Idle Game with Story

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SmokeSomeFrogs, Feb 9, 2018.

1. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

It's done and you can download it now :)
    https://smokesomefrogs.itch.io/flufftopia

Hey :D

We, MadameYavi and I, Moaning_Clock, are working on a new project - Flufftopia for our little Indie Studio SmokeSomeFrogs :) It's an Idle Game but it has a story and some more complex mechanics. At the moment we are halfway through development. The story needs still to be implemented but most of the underlying mechanics are working. The graphical assets are also nearly done. For a better impression - here's a screenshot of the game :D

We think that we will be able to release the game in the end of February or maybe in the beginning of March. The main idea behind the game is that you need to transform Flufftown – a town you are managing - into a even larger eponymous Flufftopia. And a bit more but I won't spoil you! The game will be available in German and English and it will be free :D

Next week I will post more :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Mauri, RavenOfCode and AlarmedIguana like this.
  2. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hey :D Flufftopia will be released soon, I think we will manage to release it in the end of February on Itch.io and Gamejolt. Other platforms will follow maybe. At the moment we still didn't implement the story and some other features but Angela worked a lot on the UI and the savesystem to make sure that the foundation works fine. We implemented some cute graphics for the workers (one of the main gameplay mechanics) :D

Stay tuned :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  3. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hey :D

At the moment we have finished the work approximiatly to 80% and we can announce that Flufftopia will be released at Itch.io on 6th of March. We will release it a few days later also on Gamejolt and IndieDB but we wanted to focus our little launch on Itch.io.

I also wanted to announce that we will start weekly devlogs on YouTube – not only related to single projects but the project SmokeSomeFrogs on a whole – you can subscribe to us here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-JxM84cEKau93PMVf25dg

Next week we will start testing. If you want to participate, write an email to protagonist@smokesomefrogs.com :)

So that's it! The next post won't be on friday but on Monday (with the YoutubeDevlog) :D

RavenOfCode likes this.
  4. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

It looks so god damn cute...

SmokeSomeFrogs likes this.
  5. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Thank you <3

6. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hey,

our first devlog on Youtube is released :D Feedback would be really awesome :)

Next friday a new entry here :D

RavenOfCode likes this.
  7. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

That was a pretty darn good devlog, looking forward to seeing this released!

8. FancifulFox

FancifulFox

I love the art in your game, it reminds me of soft textiles like felt. I just want to touch it!

9. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Thank you very much :D

10. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Today the release is a little bit sooner and we started testing :D We wanted to start the testing phase yesterday but we needed a little bit more time because the savesystem had some hiccups. The localization is also a problem but we will fix it :D

Music is more or less complete.

In the next days MadameYavi will cut a trailer for the game and I'm going to work on stuff like descriptions for Itch.io etc.

In the next days we will focus on bugs and polish. At the moment we don't know if we can manage to release the game with the second gamemode but if this is the case we will make an updated version some time in the future. The second gamemode isn't necessery per se but would be nice to have :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  11. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

The second part of our Dev Diary series is online :D

RavenOfCode likes this.
  12. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

13. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hey!

A little update on the release of Flufftopia! At the moment we have over 100 Downloads and Leafo from Itch.io was so kind to put us in the fresh releases section so we are on the frontpage which is absolutely awesome! :D

We are really happy and at the moment we don't have many bug reports and they are only minor issues which will be fixed in the next update! We will try to make a Linux build and test it on our Linux machine but we don't know if it will work and we don't want to put something out which just doesn't work!

So – if you haven't already downloaded the game, do it! It's free! :D

14. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Another quick update - at the end of the weekend we will release a little update (fixing an error in the english localization and a tiny content update (there is a concept for one of the workers which absolutely needs to be in the game)) before the bigger update (where we will try to make a working Linux build) and try to make it playable on x86 systems :)

At the moment we hit 300 downloads and are really happy and grateful :D We really didn't expected so much downloads in the short time frame :) Thank you!

15. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hey! Daniel here :)

This week was really exciting for us and we are extremely happy with the numbers – if we are lucky we will hit 500 downloads today (we never expected this). After some stressful weeks Angela (MadameYavi) did go on a short vacation for three days and yesterday she got back and we worked on a little update today.

We made only small changes to the game itself because we wanted to focus on porting and testing the ports. First of all the Windows version is now 32 bit instead of 64 bit because the game won't need more than 4 GB of ram and it's absolutely compatible. Also we made a Linux build and actually we didn't want to do this yet (it was planned for the 1.2 version) but we thought: why not? And the 64 bit version worked great on our little Linux machine. We did not test the 32 bit version because we don't have a machine to test it and sure you can test it under vms but we simply think that this is not 100 percent accurate because a vm isn't a system which is used over many months with the typical quirks of a system but … we might be wrong with our thinking. What I want to say: If you have a 32 bit Linux system it would be great if you could write us feedback and if you run into any problems we'll try to figure it out :D The 64 bit build was tested under Lubuntu (I love it <3). The pc for the Lubuntu is also our weakest machine and it worked pretty well (the highest resolution was a little bit too much and the animations had a slight stutter but 1600x900 worked great), so we have system requirements! Minimum is a J3060 (1.6 ghz (but it should also work on weaker systems)) and recommended is an astonishingly powerful G3900 (the two cores with 2.8 ghz rock the blocks!) We don't have a machine with under 2 gb of ram but it should work greatly even with one or less we think because it never used more than 300 mb ram. If you have 2 GB ram or more you have plenty.

Yada yada yada… technical stuff aside we also changed other stuff. There was one button in the english localisation which was still in german (it read 'Arbeiter einstellen' instead of 'Hire worker') and some typos in both languages. We also changed some phrases because I didn't like the wording and in some cases adjusted the speed of the text changes.

The only thing which is noticeably new though is a new worker you can hire and I think he is really cute :D

We thought about a worker in a panda like design but the results were just a little bit too weird. Nevertheless I wanted to show them:

And now we're finished with Flufftopia! Just kidding, we are thinking of lots of things which we can change and there is still a second game mode which we want to introduce and a lot of other things (some graphical options for example) but it will take us some time to make it as good as possible. For the moment we just wanted to fix some little problems and make it accessible for more platforms (if we had a mac we would show some mac love but we are poor). We also made a new trailer. The old one was made in about 30 minutes because we wanted to release the game on the 6th of March and had some weird bugs in the end which took way too much time fixing. The whole launch was a little bit rushed unfortunately so … yeah here is the new trailer!

There are two bugs which we are aware of which aren't fixed (yet) but they are not gamebreaking and only minor things. Sometimes the fluffcoins per second display reads something like 46,000001 but if you hire a new worker for a building it goes away and it doesn't have any impact whatsoever.

The other bug happens only on rare occasions. This bug could also be interpreted as intended and you can finish the game without any problems nevertheless. It only showed up sometimes when we were testing internally and we don't have any reports about it yet, so we think it's fine if we fix it in the next update. Please be a little bit patient when we can't figure the problems out on the spot – Angela is using Unity for about two months now and has no programming background at all. We are still learning :D

Nevertheless if you run into any problems write us an email! protagonist@smokesomefrogs.com

We will work on new projects but the 1.2 of Flufftopia will arrive in a few weeks! :D

If you haven't downloaded the game, do it! :D It's free: https://smokesomefrogs.itch.io/flufftopia

Changelog:

- New worker!

- A little fix for an upgrade (the second mine upgrade)

- A graphical fix (one of the clouds had outlines?)

- Some text edits (pacing, typos, wording)

- Windows is now 'only' x86 for better compability

- Linux build (x86 and x86_x64)

- The credits music is now a little bit louder

16. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hey, our third devlog video is out now :D We speak a lot about the release and a little bit about the future :)

17. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hey folks!

First of all thank you so much for the support and the nice feedback :D

We were incredibly lucky and got featured by a YouTuber from Brazil, Felps. He has over two million subscribers and he made a video about Flufftopia! Even though my mom is from Portugal my Portuguese is really bad but I did understand what he said more or less :D

Also we got featured on the Twitter account of Itch.io which was very nice and unexpected since the game has been released two weeks ago :) We thought only new games are featured on Twitter so it was a nice surprise :D

Due to the Let's Play many people visited our page on Itch.io. It's incredible to have so many downloads. Our secret dream was to get 1000 downloads in the first month – at the moment we have over 2000 which is crazy. Our last game Intra-System: Trust Issues has around 1500 downloads after a year now and the numbers of Flufftopia were great for our standards even before the Let's Play. Honestly, it's F***ing bananas and came from nowhere. Especially after our horrible launch.

We got asked if we could make an Android version but at the moment we don't want to. It's always kind of a balancing act – when we are porting and testing the ports we can't expand our games/create new ones etc. If we wanted to make a good port for mobile platforms we would need to redesign a lot of the game and we don't think that it fits the platform; also iOS won't happen and Mac isn't very probable in the near future since we don't have one. At the moment, we focus on Devastated and after that we want to work on a new and bigger game and also release the 1.2 of Flufftopia which will contain an Idle Mode, additions to the story and many little tweaks. We also want to expand the list of random facts about Flufftopia because it seems that this is a major part of the experience for many players.

Do YOU have any suggestions for Flufftopia for the major update? It will still need some time and we would appreciate any ideas :D If you want to say something about the story please make sure to write a spoiler warning or something like that :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  18. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hello! I thought I would write the next post for this devlog when the 1.2 is out which will be in a few weeks/months but it seems that I was mistaken. Anyway, a new update for Flufftopia is out now! Sorry, it's not an April Fools' joke, just a little update. We only wanted to change something in the credits and just push it out silently but then we thought about adding a tiny bit of content to the game. There's one typo in the German version which is fixed now and a new random fact! We also added a new worker :)

We call it the 1.1.1 and it's exactly 1 percent better than ever before! At the moment, we are working on Devastated and make steady progress. In regards to Linux we multibooted an old PC (which I recently bought from a friend) with Solus and Ubuntu (and Windows 8.1) so we have another testing machine (Flufftopia runs nicely on Solus and Ubuntu!) and aren't only relying on my little Lubuntu machine. Still we only tested the 64 bit versions but it seems this is the absolute majority of Linux users today. As we were testing we also found a little error which we fixed (nobody noticed it before). We also changed the compress format for the Linux versions from .zip to .tar.gz because it seems to fit more and afaik the permissions are saved in the .tar.gz file but not in a .zip file. Sorry, if I'm wrong – my knowledge about Linux is still limited but I'm working on it :D

We had a bug on Ubuntu regarding a part of the story where you need to type something and every input was taken twice even if you would just press one time. This seems to be a problem for Ubuntu (in other distros it runs fine) with our particular version of Unity and we simply changed the text that needs to be typed instead of fixing it (workarounds ftw :D). We could have updated Unity but this can lead to horrible outcomes so we just went the safe route. There was also another minor bug which only one person pointed out and we also fixed that.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, JUST DO IT! https://smokesomefrogs.itch.io/flufftopia

Changelog:

- Fixed error with the second mine upgrade

- Changed the credits

- A new random fact

- A new worker

- Fixed typo in the German version

- The Linux version is now a .tar.gz file and not a .zip file anymore

- Bug fixes/workarounds

19. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

RavenOfCode likes this.
  20. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

That is really impressive. It's really cool to see how big of an impact the let's play had on the game. What do you think contributed to the game getting picked up by him?

Cheers,

Dave

21. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Sorry for not answering! I simply forgot it - I think two things: first of all, it seems that he like clicker games and secondly it was on a relative good spot on Itch.io. I have the theory that some YouTubers check Itch.io sometimes and check what's popular - but honestly? We don't know

22. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Any reason you haven't published it to Kongregate? People over there love idle games and devs get a cut of the revenue.

23. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

We had it released on Kongregate but I think due to the lower resolution, people didn't read the text and missed the point of the game and many of them had a bad time so we removed it. But we want to release it again maybe when we have a traditional Idle mode :)

24. SmokeSomeFrogs

SmokeSomeFrogs

Hello there! After a long time we released the 1.2 version of Flufftopia :)

We released the 1.2 version of Flufftopia and decided to give it price tag because we want to continue working on it. But it's only one dollar so I think that's reasonable. Furthermore, the game is on a 50% sale now!

It's a short clicker/idle game but it has a twist and an ending =)

Changelog:

- 4 new workers

- new text messages

- some text improvements

- a beautiful sun

- a special silver fluff

- some code refactoring

- some performance improvements

Available for Windows and Linux!

Tested on: Windows 10, Ubuntu and Lubuntu.