Search Unity

Assets [Unity Awards 2018 - BEST ARTISTIC TOOL Winner] Aura - Volumetric Lighting

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by raphick, Nov 16, 2016.

1. raphick

raphick

Volumetric Occlusion Culling preview
    Save performances by skipping computation of unseen depths.
    The redder, the more computation needed.

Aura 2 will be available soon on the Asset Store

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. skantron

skantron

I am having the same issue and did not find a solution to it, either in the readme, or on this forum. I'm happy to provide more information if it can help, but as it stands I have not found a fix yet. It's also only happening for me, it's not happening for other people on the team. what hardware/driver version are you running?

led_bet likes this.
  3. khos

khos

When will we get our Xmas present? Any news?

Gekigengar and led_bet like this.
  4. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

This is epic! I'm amazed at your skills. I wish I fully understood how this works under the covers. Thank you for creating this.

5. ggevrin

ggevrin

Hello Raphick and congratulations for your great work on Aura.
    We really want to use Aura instead of our current solution for volumetric lighting, visual results are gorgeous and it offers so much possibilities in Level Design with the volumes injection. We are working on a full procedural dungeon so the lights are culled for performance. The problem is : there is a huge memory leak when switching off and on an aura light several times as described on this report bug :
    https://github.com/raphael-ernaelsten/Aura/issues/85
    Will Aura v2 solve this memory leak issue ? I hope so, I am really looking forward using it
    Thanks in advance and keep rocking

6. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

Aura 2 will be compatible with Enviro and the day / night automatic cycle? Or do you need your own Aura directional Light? Thanks

Mark_01 likes this.
  7. raphick

raphick

It might be related to cookies registration. I refactored it in Aura 2.

ASAP, believe me

Stop it I am gonna blush. Thank you for your nice comments.

I did not notice it. Anyway, I refactored a lot the lights resources registration so this might not happen to you in Aura 2 indeed. And if it does, I will as planned give support and fix this.

There is no Custom Aura Lights. Aura 2 works with built-in Unity Lights, so I am guessing, like Aura 1, Aura 2 will perfectly work with Enviro. My pleasure.

8. raphick

raphick

Aura - Volumetric Lighting has been nominated in the
    BEST ARTISTIC TOOL category of the Unity Awards 2018

Thank you all for the 50 000 downloads of Aura,

it means a lot to me.

Vote for Aura here -> https://awards.unity.com/#best-artistic-tool

DuzqpB2WsAQ0z6K.jpg large.jpg

9. Jesus

Jesus

Can you explain further on this - will they be a 'dumb' component that you just add to a light; 'dumb' in that it has none of its own variables or options, just relying on the main Light component values/info?

10. skantron

skantron

GOod to know, the lights that are the cultprit do have cookies, is there a way to reset that manually? I am not sure if we will be upgrading to aura 2 on this project...

11. raphick

raphick

There is an Aura Light component to apply in the Light and that rely on the Unity Light. It has a few parameters to modulate the light's settings

I haven't touched Aura 1 for months now but there is the boolean "Enable Cookies" that will deregister/register the cookies

12. Subliminum

Subliminum

Wow i can't believe I only found just discovered this great asset, even more exciting is there is soon to be a new overhauled version with even more features! This looks exactly like the asset i need to provide a denser atmosphere/vibe in my project. Definitely looking forward to seeing it up on the Unity Asset Store.:)

raphick likes this.
  13. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

It looks like a nice asset, but I can not prove it.

Importing hangs here (shot) and does not continue.:(
    I have to forcibly close Unity.
    Unity 2018.2.2f1

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  14. Jesus

Jesus

@WILEz1975 yeah when I import it into my projects, it can take a while. On the ~4Ghz quad core desktop it took long enough for me to go get a cup of tea and a snack, on the Surface I remember it taking well over half an hour, probably could have gone on lunch break!

Those compute shaders, with their gazillion variations, take a huuuuuge amount of CPU power to generate and import. It's only a first-time thing though; once it's imported the scene/unity load times are just like normal.

It's the price you pay for the runtime shaders being more optimized. Quite simply, you're buying realtime performance with a long import process. Seems clunky, but if given the choice later you'd certainly trade a half-hour import for 1-2ms/frame better rendering time.

WILEz1975 and raphick like this.
  15. raphick

raphick

I'll just assume you didn't read the description/readme :):eek:

16. ceebeee

ceebeee

As the readme states, shader compilation can take 20-30 minutes. just be patient.

17. khos

khos

I don't mean anything bad by this but this reminds me a bit about that song:
    i-want-it-all-and-i-want-it-now.jpg

18. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

Ok, I had not read the readme file :)
    I waited about ten minutes, I had never waited so long to import a single asset.He seemed stuck.
    I'll try again.
    Thank you ;)

19. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Congratulations on best artistic tool Raphael!!

raphick, Gekigengar and khos like this.
  20. raphick

raphick

thank you Alex :)

21. raphick

raphick

I just have won the BEST ARTISTIC TOOL Award of the Unity Awards 2018
    for Aura - Volumetric Lighting

I am very very proud and grateful to everyone who has ever supported me and to everyone who has voted for me!

See you soon with Aura 2 which will even be better.

Dvh0RcXWoAAFuHL.jpg large.jpg

22. Mark_01

Mark_01

Huge Congratulations !

raphick likes this.
  23. robin_pillow

robin_pillow

Dear Raphick,

Thank you for this amazing tool, I hope this tool will be icing on the cake for our product.
    I hope because we have a issue that I am not sure of that your solution is flexible enough for us.

We have a split screen where we have 2 camera's rendering a different part of the scene at the same time. both camera's we want to have the cool Aura effects applied.

You know a work around for this or is there a near term plan to support multiple camera's?

Our current system is turning camera's on and off depending on the view we like to have.

Thanks for you time!

24. abramelingames

abramelingames

Hi, your asset looks spectacular but I have some errors when compiling for ps4:

Shader error in 'Hidden/Aura/StorePointLightCookieMap': Program 'frag', incompatible argument list for call to 'mul'. Found 1280 possible candidates: at line 69 (on ps4)

Compiling Fragment program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Hidden/Aura/StorePointLightCookieMap': Program 'vert', incompatible argument list for call to 'mul'. Found 1280 possible candidates: at line 69 (on ps4)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1

Any solution?
    Thanks

25. mirkojpn

mirkojpn

hi!
    firstly your asset is awesome, and it's free, really thank's you!

actually i'm not able to make it work properly, as you can see from the attached picture i have some problem with it...
    there is a way to clean it?

thank's you in advance

Attached Files:

26. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

How do I access the Ambient Density at runtime? i want to put it on a Slider for adjustment at runtime but I cannot figure out how to access the property.

Great performance on this, runs smooth.

27. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

2019 seems to have added a ton of improvements to the lighting system! This is great. However, I still have a bit of a problem. In UE you can easily adjust the resolution of your volumetrics to a custom solution. I know that there is a boolean to adjust from low res to high-resolution volumetrics in Unity. But what would be really nice, would be able to custom select a resolution from a wider range of presets. I would like to take the resolution a couple times higher than the current max now.

Unlimited_Energy likes this.
  28. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

Sean if you don't mind me asking, what are you working on? I'm a fan of lighting realism in any kind of game

29. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@raphick would it be possible to store the precomputation files from aura 2 outside of /Library somewhere that we can delete the /Library folder and check it into git and also please store different platforms in different folders s.t. we only need to import it once and not on every platform switch?

We had to remove aura from our project because as nice as it is, the imports, sometimes multiple times per day depending on platform switches/unity upgrades had a cost we could not pay anymore.

If we could have everything stored somewhere s.t. it persists when /Library is deleted which is required with quite a few unity related bugs this would help a lot.

Besides that: Really awsome work and you deserved the award!

@WILEz1975 Aura import for us takes between 60 and 120 minutes depending on the platform.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  30. seanybaby2

seanybaby2

A game called Virtual Battlegrounds. I actually figured out how to manually increase the resolution of the volumetrics by changing the HDRP source but it's gets pretty expensive fast. If you follow the enum which sets the HDRP high resolution volumetrics. You can see that it really just sets the resolution of the volumetrics from 64 to 128. You can crank it up as high as you want. I put it all the way up to 1024 but the cost is exponentially higher than each multiple below it. It looks incredible but I can only support a few lights at a time with this resolution. I found 256 and 512 to work really well.

MNNoxMortem and Subliminum like this.
  31. raphick

raphick

PS4 support is not available for Aura 1. Please wait for Aura 2 which will target consoles as well.

Multiple cameras is supported in Aura 2

Hi as I already told you this pattern is an artifact of Aura 1. Please wait for Aura 2.

Thanks! auraComponent.frustum.settings.density ;)

Aura 2 has a Quality Preset feature that allow to set custom resolution for the volumetric grid. ;)

Thanks a lot! Aura 2 takes only 7 seconds to import :) please wait for it

This is unevitable. But Aura 2 has unique optimization features to prevent much perf loss ;)

32. raphick

raphick

Aura 2 is coming soon on the Asset Store
    Development is finished

Last unveiled feature : Ambiance Presets

(change full environment in a click)

33. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@raphick I do not dare to believe you, but I am so hyped if this is true and in that case it will be an INSTANT buy once it is ready. Aura 1 was beside that already amazing and Aura 2 looks all that and even more. #hype

Can't think of why it would not work, but does Aura 2 work with Asset Bundles (therefore the Adressable Asset System)?

34. raphick

raphick

Thank you :)

I never tested but I can't see why it wouldn't either.

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  35. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

The dawn is absolutely stunning!!! Great work

Quique-Martinez and raphick like this.
  36. Subliminum

Subliminum

Looking forward to the paid version Raphick keep up the hard work!

raphick likes this.
  37. raphick

raphick

Thank you for your support

MNNoxMortem, Mark_01 and Subliminum like this.
  38. MixGrey

MixGrey

Just found Aura and I'm loving it so far. I'm working on a project involving a grid-based gas simulation which tracks the density of gas in each cell (among other things). I noticed that the box volumes make a great visualization of the gas density grid, but I'd need a lot of 1x1x1 boxes to accurately show the gas simulation grid. If I wanted a huge grid where I can set the density and color of each cell individually and have Aura treat each cell like a Box Volume, what would you recommend as a best approach?

39. Jesus

Jesus

3d texture maybe?

then the whole thing would be 1 box volume.

You'd have to look at authoring 3d textures in runtime though.

40. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

We can't wait ....

41. Eloujah

Eloujah

Hi,
    How can I make Aura work on R.A.M and AQUAS ?
    The water shader is not affected by the fog.

upload_2019-1-15_6-38-25.png

Subliminum likes this.
  42. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Its almost a week since then, and it hasn't been approved yet? I can't wait to get my hands on Aura2 and test it out!

(Literally have been checking out this thread everyday since that December release announcement!)

43. raphick

raphick

Hi! The water is a transparent object which means that the shader has to be modify to include Aura.
    Please have a look at the documentation.
    I'll be working with most major assets developers to include aura2 support.

Please don't hold your breath. Aura 2 hasn't been submitted yet. There is still outwork to do before :)

44. Janoooba

Janoooba

Rendering volumetric lighting all the way to the skybox seems to be the most taxing. That said, does anyone know how I can optimize my settings for something akin to a space game, where MOST of the screen is going to be skybox?

Edit: Changing the depth of the grid, or the Range, or both, don't actually seem to affect performance very much.

Edit 2: Nvm, changing depth and range do affect performance, but seemingly only once built. In editor it doesn't change anything. I'm still open to suggestions though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  45. mattis89

mattis89

Hellp! When will aura2 realease? What assets will it support? and performance wise open world friendly? :)

46. raphick

raphick

It will be released during Feb, will support anything opaque by default (plus will have extra support for selected assets), perfs won't be different open-world or not ;)

47. ggevrin

ggevrin

"It will be released during Feb" :)
    Pure curiosity : your video "Volumetric Occlusion Culling preview" is very interesting, you are computing dynamic occlusion culling on the GPU ? If so, is there a way to use this map back in Unity for dynamic occlusion culling ? It would be very usefull for a runtime generated interior environment as we cannot rely on Unity Occlusion Culling.

48. raphick

raphick

Not directly this map but the technique yes possibly.

49. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

The big day is hopefully getting close....

50. ManiaCCC

ManiaCCC

Hello, one simple question. Is possible to have multiple aura main components on different cameras, where each can render different lights, volumes etc? It would be especially useful for additive scenes, where each scene has different aura settings.