Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [Unity Awards 2018 - BEST ARTISTIC TOOL Winner] Aura - Volumetric Lighting

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by raphick, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Arsonistic

Arsonistic

Awesome. Guess I'll have to add it with a tooltip explaining the need for a scene reload/restart in the meantime :D

Any rough timeframe on when this will land? Aura2 isn't 1.1, right?
    Presets aren't important in my opinion, such things can be achieved through code as long as all important parameters are externally editable. Presets are just extra sugar on the top. Just expose the important stuff and I'm happy :3
    (please do expose the parameters even if you add presets)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. raphick

raphick

Aura 1 is not compatible with HDRP

Aura 2 will be a priced product on the asset store, production ready, stable.

Soon I expect.
    Absolutely, Aura 2 is not Aura 1.1. But Aura 2 will of course included all the additions that were planned in Aura 1.1
    Of course!

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  3. raphick

raphick

Real-time Volumetric Global Illumination

Coming Soon on the Asset Store

4. nbac

nbac

1.1 or 2?

5. gamersamer

gamersamer

Any way I can access the ambient light strength under ambient injection for my aura component on my main camera via a script?

6. gamersamer

gamersamer

I got its Aura.frustum.settings.colorStrength

raphick likes this.
  7. khos

khos

Hi Raphick, sorry to ask , are you still planning a release of Aura 1.1 ? I am keeping my fingers crossed this is the case as I have a game releasing in the next couple of weeks and I'd like to include this if possible (specifically the multi camera support).

Or is 1.1 scrapped completely and we will need to purchase 2? If so, how is it going to cost?

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I imagine whatever it costs is worth it without any hesitation for anyone using aura one. The author is very generous after all.

Lurking-Ninja and khos like this.
  9. marcrem

marcrem

So multi-cam support is for Aura 2?

10. khos

khos

Of course, I was just asking for clarification if ok :)
    If it is then I'll be happy to buy! I just need it asap :)

11. raphick

raphick

1.1 is being dropped as there is no point in supporting obsolete assets. Also all the changs broke the compatibility with base 1.0 which wold réquité every one tof scrap all the 1.0 wor they did. Aura 2 will of course contains all improvements of 1.1 and do better.

I've been talking to asset store people, AAA game developers and publishers amongst the best sellers on the asset store. The price range will be 40-60$. Yet TBD

Thank you for your support

Yes definitely

DavidSmit and khos like this.
  12. khos

khos

Cool Raphick, fingers crossed v2 can be released soon, I really would like to use it :)

13. Arsonistic

Arsonistic

Well, damn. Was hoping for the volumetric GI support for my Student project.
    I will probably buy the asset at some point, but buying assets with no return income is always a bit iffy when you're short on funds :(

led_bet likes this.
  14. garyhaus

garyhaus

So.. will Aura 2 be compatible with HDRP and 2018.2/3 and beyond? That wasn't clear above. Thanks.

15. khos

khos

Any possibility of a release date? I want to try prepare for an imminent game release.

16. sadicus

sadicus

Unity 2018.2.14
    Aura on the Asset store is v1.0.5 is this the most recent version and will this work with Unity 2018.2.14?

17. khos

khos

No news yet on release dates? Not even a tiny clue, please? I neeeeeeeeeedd it :)

ElevenGame, led_bet and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  18. DanielThomas

DanielThomas

(making 2d game with perspective cam)
    Is it possible to make it work with a camera which uses fov 1 and is far away(so high far away clipping) . Since camera is so zoomed in the precision and resolution is not clear. For an example, a light beam going though a window covers whole screen, even though the window/hole itself is very small.

19. myownbot

myownbot

This is how the Project tab looks like after Aura is imported into the project and I restart it.
    I repeated the installation several times including complere re-downloads, tried it on a different PC as well.
    It looks the same.

Rescaling the tab make it look reasonably. I wonder if such behavior is still healthy.

I'm using Unity Plus 2017.4.14f1 on Win7 and Win10

EDIT: After installing Aura, the Gaia installation (Gaia+Gena2+CTS+Pegasus+Inviro+Aquas) got brocken

EDIT2: I restarted from the scratch installing AURA first, then Gaia. It seems to work! There is no obvious conflict between Aura and Gaia manager
    Now, installing CTS

P.S. I wish Unity would implement a batch asset import with a predefined order

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  20. raphick

raphick

I am sorry to read this, due to the amount and the long term support i want to offer, I cannot leave it for free anymore. I tried but was lonely in this.

Aura 2 will definitely be compatible with 2018.2/3. SRPs are on work as the APIs need to be fixed.

Early December is my current target

It should work i guess. I stopped watching about Aura 1 for some times now

It can happen on machines with some low amount of vram i think. It due to the way Unity handles their rendertextures.
    It won't hopefully happen with Aura 2.

khos likes this.
  21. raphick

raphick

Preview Of Full Stereo Rendering Support

Aura2-StereoRenderingPreview.png

Aura 2 will be available in early December on the Asset Store

22. myownbot

myownbot

Thank you for the reply.

I kind of disagree because this PC is equipped with GTX960 with 2Gbytes VRAM.

23. myownbot

myownbot

Great news 2bqh! Will buy!

led_bet likes this.
  24. khos

khos

Will we get an early Christmas present? :)

25. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Will definitely support Aura 2. Tip my hat to the way you have developed this asset from a free base you deserve some reward.

IsDon likes this.
  26. raphick

raphick

Indeed, will have to investigate why the render targets get wrongfully indexed.

Thank you!

Hopefully yes it will be before Christmas. But there is still a bit of work and the Asset Store team takes ages (up to two weeks) to validate a product.

Thank you very much!

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. The_Natural_Tanuki

The_Natural_Tanuki

I just read the whole thread and it's really cool witnessing the birth of Aura2. Poor @khos I hope you will be alright. I arrived here throught the LMH Poly tutorial and at first I couldn't believe what I was seeing on my screen: "Is it really possible to achieve this kind of result at useable framrates in Unity ?!" I can't wait for my next rig to arrive so I can play with Aura 1 more and be ready for Aura 2!

@raphick Would you have a prefered resource for learning about lighting in a game ? This is very interesting but so far I've only done very basic stuff in Unity, espcially in the visual aspect part -think tweening or "pretty" user interfaces. What should I learn in order to be able to do useful stuff in terms of improving the visuals of a game like you :D

28. khos

khos

Hi @The_Natural_Tanuki, I'll be much better when I can use multiple camera support with Aura :) For info I had to remove Aura from my game as it is released in a few days time, multiple camera support will get it back again.

29. raphick

raphick

Thanks a lot for your kind comment :)
    Not really :/ I've always been observing around. My best advice is to keep everything balanced especially hue-wise.

I am really sad and sorry I could not even give you an alpha package but I really didn't want to jeopardize your project with an unstable package. It's a matter of a couple of weeks now (remember that the Asset Store team takes 2 weeks for approval) :)

khos likes this.
  30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Didn't spot in thread so far, LWRP support on the cards? We're deliberating switching from HDRP to LWRP for a switch port.

31. raphick

raphick

I think I had it working out of hands with LWRP but I need to confirm as it was quite some time ago (I have changed many things and they have as well)

hippocoder likes this.
  32. raphick

raphick

Use Texture2D Masking on a Global Injection Volume
    to create a Volumetric Fog Of War and hide yet to discover areas

Aura2VolumetricFogOfWar.png

rrahim, AthrunVLokiz, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.
  33. zaibrana6

zaibrana6

AuraAPI.Aura.DisposeFrustrum () (at Assets/Aura/Classes/Aura.cs:359) Found this Null reference error right after importing. No solution at all anywhere. Tried on Mobile platform and on Pc, standalone platform as well. Using Unity 2017.4.16f1. Any suggestion??

34. raphick

raphick

Have you tried reading the description/readme and letting the compute shader compile?

35. raphick

raphick

Preview of Volumetric Denoising Filter

VolumetricDenoising.gif

36. Mark_01

Mark_01

Would it be possible to use Aura 2 with CTAA ' Cinematic Temporal Anti-Aliasing ?

37. raphick

raphick

I don't know about it specifically but I see nothing that would prevented Aura2 and CTAA to work with each other. FYI Aura2 works perfectly with TXAA

Mark_01 likes this.
  38. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

With purely Aura (script) on the camera, no Aura Light etc in the scene, it still makes a black color skybox become grey in color, is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      574.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      203.7 KB
      Views:
  39. raphick

raphick

I am not sure what you expect if you don't have any contribution light/volume. From what I can see, you only have the injected base color set as grey (white * 0.25) so the behaviour is coherent.
    There is no fix, that's how it's supposed to work.

40. Popi01

Popi01

Hello! I absolutely love this plugin but I do have quite an annoying problem with cookies. I have a scene which is supposed to work in VR, and where there is a UI that permits me to create and manage lights in realtime. In this UI, there is the possibility to assign a cookie to a light. But when I click on the "setcookie" button, the cokie appears extremely intense, all black in white, and there are several errors:
    and

The weirdest part is, when I create a totally new scene with new lights and all, there's no problem with the cookies.... Could you help understand what's going on?

Attached Files:

41. skantron

skantron

I am working on a project that is using aura lights, and I am having an issue that seems to be caused aura lights, but nobody else on the project seem to have it. What I see in the scene window is very different than what I see in the game window. the game window the geometry is totally blown out, or over lit/exposed, and the skybox is totally black, and the scene view appears normal. There are two Aura lights in the scene, if I delete one or the other, the problem remains, but if I delete both, the problem disappears. So, I seem to be the only person on the team to be having this issue, and I was wondering if you had any ideas on what I could check to eliminate it (without eliminating the aura lights)
    PTE_Dezerted_Sceneview.PNG PTE_Dezerted_Gameview.PNG

we are using Unity 2018.2.4f1
    Git and Sourcetree as a repository
    my machine is AMD 2950x CPU, 64GB ram, 1080ti GPU nVidia 417.01 Driver, Windows 10 (up to date on updates)
    if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it, and would be happy to test anything you suggest.

42. raphick

raphick

Your ui process somehow breaks Aura 1 cookie registration (the first error), leading to the second error (try to compute the cookie although it doesn't exist in Aura 1 system)
    Try deactivating the light, assign the cookie, then re-enable the light.
    Aura 2 lights registration is much more robust than Aura 1's. I suggest we should give a further look if this still breaks with Aura 2.

I know it's a pain in the lul with Aura 1 but have you tried reimporting it? It seems to me a problem of assigned resources.

43. raphick

raphick

Edition Toolbox preview
    Easily add/edit high quality volumetric lighting in your game with Aura 2

Aura 2 will be available soon on the Asset Store

Gekigengar, Gametyme, Mark_01 and 5 others like this.
  44. skantron

skantron

I have tried deleting the entire local repository and reimporting the entire project. Or do you mean something else? Also other people have gotten the same project from the repository and do not have the issue. So it is just my computer, but is consistent too.

Thank you for the response.

45. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

That tool looks AMAZING.

Gekigengar likes this.
  46. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

When putting a spotlight with cookie + a directional light (all with AuraLight), the whole scene becomes black and white.

- Removing cookie works
    - Spotlight + spotlight with cookie works

Is it a bug or work as intended? Thanks.

Attached Files:

47. rtilton1

rtilton1

I'm noticing it's impossible to get this plugin to import/work in Unity. I tried importing it in Unity 2017, 2018, and 2019 on both mac and pc. It can download fine, but fails to be able to import the scripts in the ComputeShaders folder. Freezes unity everytime...I also tried to import the version from github... Same issue. Any idea why this might be happening?

Tx in advance for giving this plugin to the community.

48. raphick

raphick

Thank you!

this is not a known issue to me. sorry. no error message?

Yes. You should read the readme/description... ;-)

Mark_01 likes this.
  49. stevenwanhk

stevenwanhk

Code (CSharp):
    1. Compute shader (ComputeDataComputeShader): Property (directionalCookieMapsArray) at kernel index (20079) is not set
    2. UnityEngine.ComputeShader:Dispatch(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    3. AuraAPI.Frustum:ComputeData() (at Assets/Aura/Classes/Frustum.cs:294)
    4. AuraAPI.Aura:UpdateFrustrum() (at Assets/Aura/Classes/Aura.cs:351)
    5. AuraAPI.Aura:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/Aura/Classes/Aura.cs:189)
    What I did is copied the aura spotlight from spotlight example scene and pasted it in directional light scene, and added a cookie to the spotlight

50. Popi01

Popi01

Hello Raphick! Thank you for your answer. Ok so I really don't know how I managed it, but I recreated my scene and it ended up working. I wonder if I had not forgotten to put the Aura Component on the camera.... Oops!

Yet I ran into another questioning error, : Again, it's when I try to put a cookie on the light, the Update keeps printing:

Parameter name: shader
    UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Shader.bindings.cs:104)
    AuraAPI.AuraLight.Initialize () (at Assets/Aura/Classes/AuraLight.cs:449)
    AuraAPI.AuraLight.Reinitialize () (at Assets/Aura/Classes/AuraLight.cs:512)
    AuraAPI.AuraLight.Update () (at Assets/Aura/Classes/AuraLight.cs:244)

The aura effects disappears and the light projects the cookie but without the aura halo.I thought it was related to what you explained me earlier, so I tried what you told me: deactivate the object containing the light, put the cookie, and reactivate everything again, and it worked.

Now I'm trying to do that in code...!

Thanks again!

EDIT: ah, apparently it doesn't work anymore :'(

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018