Search Unity

[RELEASED] Footsteps Scene Designer Pro - Make "Stepped-On" Surfaces Sound The Way They Look

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TheMadHermit, Jul 16, 2015.

1. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Take your game’s production quality to the next level by making terrains and materials sound the way they look!

Don’t make your players settle for generic “clip clop” sounds as they walk across and explore your scene. Increase game immersion with Footsteps Scene Designer Pro quickly and easily by tagging textures and objects so that gravel sounds like gravel, wood sounds like wood, water sounds like water, etc.

Add footsteps to your mobs to give your players audible queues and enhanced situational awareness as enemies approach. Are they coming from the forest or from the lake? Is there one or many? Are they near or far? Now your players will know without even looking!

Three editor customizable scripts and 11 predefined material types allow you to effectively paint sounds onto your terrains using splat maps, tag objects and define water layers; covering all your footstep needs inside and out and across scenes.

Features
    • Made for Unity 5, supports Unity 5.3.2 backward compatible to Unity 4.5
    • Quick setup, no coding required.
    • Works with indoor scenes, outdoor terrains and water plains.
    • Uses Unity's First Person and Third Person Character Controller
    • Associate sounds to terrain textures, objects and water plains with simple tags.
    • Terrain Texture Sound Map Association enables you to set the sound pallet independently for each scene making multi-scene projects easier to manage and maintain.
    • Adjustable volume controls for each ground type
    • Supports multiple terrains in a single scene
    • Includes 55 sounds spanning 11 material types
      • Broken Glass
      • Concrete
      • Dirt
      • Grass
      • Gravel
      • Leaves
      • Puddle
      • Sand
      • Snow
      • Water
      • Wood
    • Three scripts with fully documented source code included so you can add additional sound types (beyond the 11 already included) to suit your needs.
    • Water entering, exiting and movement detection
    • Fully customizable from the editor puts you in control
      • Independently control the time interval between footsteps for both walking and running
      • Set the default footstep sound for undefined areas
      • Use a combination of pre-loaded and custom sounds for the various sound types
    • Extensive documentation to help you get setup quick!
    • Includes multiple demo scenes

Demo

Experience it for yourself!

The following scene utilizes Footsteps Scene Designer Pro. Walk through grass, gravel, pavement, dirt, wood, leaves, sand and water to see how footsteps add to the immersive quality of a scene.

NOTE: The scene currently works in Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft IE and Apple Safari. Chrome not supported as they have removed support for NPAPI.

Setup And Configuration Video

Learn how to setup and Configure Footsteps Scene Designer Pro in your Unity project.

It’s quick, easy and with this video you will be up and running in no time at all.

Demo Scene Overview

Quick explanation and overview video of the included demo scenes in Footsteps Scene Designer Pro.

Scene 1: Demonstrates footstep sounds applied to terrain textures, game objects and water plains.

Scene 2: Demonstrates how terrain textures are managed independently on a scene-by-scene basis; allowing you to quickly change sound effects applied to textures without impacting other scenes in your project.

Version 2.0 New Features Overview

Quick overview video of some of the new features available in the latest version of Footsteps Scene Designer Pro.

Third Person Advanced Footstep Mode

See how to enable Advanced Footstep Mode which uses animation events to enhance visual accuracy and footstep detection for the Third Person Character controller!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. HelixU4

HelixU4

Does this work with top down point 'n Click games?

I mean it is not dependent on registering the input from W A S D keys.

3. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Saturn Ent,

Great question. It works with Unity's standard Character Controller. Since the character controller doesn't have a point and click interface, you would have to create a script to make that work.

Hope that answers your question.

4. HelixU4

HelixU4

Great, thanks.

5. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Updated original post to reflect current release features.

Namely:
    • Made for Unity 5, supports Unity 5.3.2 backward compatible to Unity 4.5
    • Uses Unity's First Person and Third Person Character Controller
    • Adjustable volume controls for each ground type
    Here's a video that showcases the Third Person Character Controller support which uses animation events to trigger footstep sounds for increased accuracy and visual synchronization:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  6. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Added new video that goes over some of the new features available in the latest release of Footsteps Scene Designer Pro.

7. paulojsam

paulojsam

i have a question please! Since i am already using a Tag, for the meshes in my scene, how could i use your footsteps feature since it also uses tags, can i have two tags to the same object, is that the logic

Thank you!

8. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Great question!

Unfortunately, Unity does not allow you to have more then one tag per object. I am not sure how you are using your custom tags, but if you are not using them as part of collision detection here is a work-around. It's probably easier for me to show you then explain it so I put together this video that takes you through this particular solution. Let me know if this helps.

9. paulojsam

paulojsam

hmm from what i understand the tag is used for meshes with a collider to enable bullets not to pierce the objects when the players shoot them. Thats why i am stuck into using that especific tag to every part of the scenario.

10. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

OK, so it sounds like you are using a custom tag for some sort of collision detection. So I can better assist you please provide more details using the contact form on my website?

11. Duffer123

Duffer123

@TheMadHermit ,

I've posted an email. Just wondering about compatibility with Unity 2017.3 and GAIA with CTS... Also, is there a tutorial on how to use this Asset with GAIA?

Thanks in advance for any response... ;)

12. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Hey @Duffer123,

Thanks for reaching out. I just responded to your email. With that said, and for the benefit of others I will repeat what I said to you here. Footsteps Scene Designer Pro works with the latest version of Unity (version 2017.4.1f1) and the latest version of Gia. I don't own CTS so I can't confirm if it will work with my script.

Getting Footsteps Scene Designer Pro to work with Gia is pretty straightforward.

1) Follow Gia's tutorial to create your terrain.
    2) Once created replace their Character Controller with the prefab I created in Footsteps Scene Designer Pro -> Third Person Controller -> FSDP-ThirdPersonController
    3) Create the following tags in your scene:
    ○ BrokenGlass ○ Concrete ○ Dirt ○ Grass ○ Gravel ○ Leaves ○ Puddle ○ Sand ○ Snow ○ Water ○ Wood

For Objects To Make A Sound When Walked On
    1) Add a collider to each gameObjects that you would like to produce a sound.
    2) Tag each gameObjects that you would like to produce a sound with one of the tags created above

For Terrain Objects To Make A Sound When Walked On
    1) Add the "TerrainSound" script to the terrain object used in the scene
    2) With the terrain selected assign a sound, via the inspector, to each texture using the "TerrainSound.cs" visual interface.

NOTE: The assignment window normally looks like this:

But for some reason when using Gia the assignment window doesn't show the corresponding texture well. It still works, just know that the textures are enumerated in order like so.

For Water Collision Detection
    1) Add the detectWaterCollisions.cs script to the water plane you want to test for collisions on
    2) Tag the water plane Layer to "Water"
    3) Make sure the water has a box collider and that the size of this collider encompass the full size of the water object.

Fore more general setup details check out the setup section in the documentation (link) or reach out to me if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Mark

13. Duffer123

Duffer123

@TheMadHermit ,

Any chance we could persuade you to release a fresh version which, if it detects GAIA, displays more accessibly, or, possibly, a GAIA extension?

A fresh version on that basis would sell more of this excellent Asset... ?

14. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

@Duffer123,

Just submitted an update now built on the latest version of Unity (2017.4.2f2). Will take about a week for Unity to review before it goes live.
    With regard to your specific request, I can incorporate anything you like. Just need to understand the requirement. Can you be more specific on what you are looking for regarding "more accessibility" or a "Gaia Extension"?

Thanks!

15. Duffer123

Duffer123

@TheMadHermit ,

Great news!

In terms of GAIA, I meant with GAIA a similar way to (without GAIA) of displaying terrain textures in your component.

In terms of GAIA extension, if you look on the procedural worlds website you'll see lots of extensions collaboratively with third party assets so maybe something to effect the character controller automatically? Automation of implementation of your Asset where GAIA in place.

16. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

I will look into it and see if I can automate more of the setup process.

17. Duffer123

Duffer123

Excellent thanks!

18. Duffer123

Duffer123

@TheMadHermit ,

I suspect with GAIA and using the Extension functionality (speak to Adam G about that - also see Procedural Worlds website) you can get it so that GAIA recognises Footsteps Scene Designer Pro as an integratable asset and allows you then also to disable the First Person/Third Person footsteps default within GAIA to the FSDP ones (as well as making it easier to see them when tweaking) and perhaps even setting up by default sounds for various splat map textures...?

In this way, the whole GAIA-based community become more aware of your Asset and you'd undoubtedly sell more of it... ;)

19. SOSolacex

SOSolacex

Heya. I am probably being dumb, but I am having issues. I have performed all the steps and done the troubleshooter, but I don't hear any sound.

I get this error:
    Debug.LogWarning(
    "Warning: Required components missing! The standard \"CharacterController\" or \"Animator\" must be attached to this game object for footsteps scene designer pro to work. ");

But the problem is. I have a rigidbody, not a charactercontroller and there is no animator for my FPSController while I am using the FPSController from the standardassets.

Any tips on getting it to work with a rigidbody?

20. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

No dumb questions here. Can you send me a sample project with the error you are having so I can look at it and advise you best? You can do it through the contact form here: https://www.themadhermitgaming.com/contact/

21. Ascensi

Ascensi

Hi there I'm wondering if you could please add Megasplat support, this will open up Footstep sound support for Voxeland terrains as well. One last thing it would be cool to add random sound options for each texture so it's not stuck playing the same sound -this can more realism to the game.

22. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

@Ascensi Thanks. I will check-out Megasplat. With regard to your second request, currently random sounds are played when walking on a texture and a different set of random sounds are played when walking on a different texture. So if you are walking on a wood floor, random "wood floor" footsteps sounds are played. If the character is then walking in gravel, random "gravel" footstep sounds are played. Are you asking for something different or does that satisfy your requirement?

digiross, Ascensi and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  23. Ascensi

Ascensi

Thanks for looking into Megasplat support! As for second second request I didn't mean to write it like an assumption - your description definitely works for us! -very thoughtful asset :)

24. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

No problem. Just wanted to make sure I understood your request and to make sure you understood what the script already does.

25. Ascensi

Ascensi

@TheMadHermit just checking in with you again about this request.. any chance you've looked into the possibility of Megasplat support?

26. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Not yet but it is on my list of things to do.

Duffer123 likes this.
  27. Duffer123

Duffer123

And full visual Integration with Gaia ?

TheMadHermit likes this.
  28. Duffer123

Duffer123

... which would help to sell your Asset more...