Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're running great holiday deals on subscriptions, swag and Asset Store packages! Take a peek at this blog for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Footsteps Scene Designer Pro - Make "Stepped-On" Surfaces Sound The Way They Look

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TheMadHermit, Jul 16, 2015.

1. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Take your game’s production quality to the next level by making terrains and materials sound the way they look!

Don’t make your players settle for generic “clip clop” sounds as they walk across and explore your scene. Increase game immersion with Footsteps Scene Designer Pro quickly and easily by tagging textures and objects so that gravel sounds like gravel, wood sounds like wood, water sounds like water, etc.

Add footsteps to your mobs to give your players audible queues and enhanced situational awareness as enemies approach. Are they coming from the forest or from the lake? Is there one or many? Are they near or far? Now your players will know without even looking!

Three editor customizable scripts and 11 predefined material types allow you to effectively paint sounds onto your terrains using splat maps, tag objects and define water layers; covering all your footstep needs inside and out and across scenes.

Features
    • Made for Unity 5, supports Unity 5.3.2 backward compatible to Unity 4.5
    • Quick setup, no coding required.
    • Works with indoor scenes, outdoor terrains and water plains.
    • Uses Unity's First Person and Third Person Character Controller
    • Associate sounds to terrain textures, objects and water plains with simple tags.
    • Terrain Texture Sound Map Association enables you to set the sound pallet independently for each scene making multi-scene projects easier to manage and maintain.
    • Adjustable volume controls for each ground type
    • Supports multiple terrains in a single scene
    • Includes 55 sounds spanning 11 material types
      • Broken Glass
      • Concrete
      • Dirt
      • Grass
      • Gravel
      • Leaves
      • Puddle
      • Sand
      • Snow
      • Water
      • Wood
    • Three scripts with fully documented source code included so you can add additional sound types (beyond the 11 already included) to suit your needs.
    • Water entering, exiting and movement detection
    • Fully customizable from the editor puts you in control
      • Independently control the time interval between footsteps for both walking and running
      • Set the default footstep sound for undefined areas
      • Use a combination of pre-loaded and custom sounds for the various sound types
    • Extensive documentation to help you get setup quick!
    • Includes multiple demo scenes

Demo

Experience it for yourself!

[​IMG]

The following scene utilizes Footsteps Scene Designer Pro. Walk through grass, gravel, pavement, dirt, wood, leaves, sand and water to see how footsteps add to the immersive quality of a scene.

NOTE: The scene currently works in Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft IE and Apple Safari. Chrome not supported as they have removed support for NPAPI.

Setup And Configuration Video

Learn how to setup and Configure Footsteps Scene Designer Pro in your Unity project.

It’s quick, easy and with this video you will be up and running in no time at all.

Demo Scene Overview

Quick explanation and overview video of the included demo scenes in Footsteps Scene Designer Pro.

Scene 1: Demonstrates footstep sounds applied to terrain textures, game objects and water plains.

Scene 2: Demonstrates how terrain textures are managed independently on a scene-by-scene basis; allowing you to quickly change sound effects applied to textures without impacting other scenes in your project.

Version 2.0 New Features Overview

Quick overview video of some of the new features available in the latest version of Footsteps Scene Designer Pro.

Third Person Advanced Footstep Mode

See how to enable Advanced Footstep Mode which uses animation events to enhance visual accuracy and footstep detection for the Third Person Character controller!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. Saturn-Ent

Saturn-Ent

Does this work with top down point 'n Click games?

I mean it is not dependent on registering the input from W A S D keys.

3. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Saturn Ent,

Great question. It works with Unity's standard Character Controller. Since the character controller doesn't have a point and click interface, you would have to create a script to make that work.

Hope that answers your question.

4. Saturn-Ent

Saturn-Ent

Great, thanks.

5. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Updated original post to reflect current release features.

Namely:
    • Made for Unity 5, supports Unity 5.3.2 backward compatible to Unity 4.5
    • Uses Unity's First Person and Third Person Character Controller
    • Adjustable volume controls for each ground type
    Here's a video that showcases the Third Person Character Controller support which uses animation events to trigger footstep sounds for increased accuracy and visual synchronization:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  6. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Added new video that goes over some of the new features available in the latest release of Footsteps Scene Designer Pro.

7. paulojsam

paulojsam

i have a question please! Since i am already using a Tag, for the meshes in my scene, how could i use your footsteps feature since it also uses tags, can i have two tags to the same object, is that the logic

Thank you!

8. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

Great question!

Unfortunately, Unity does not allow you to have more then one tag per object. I am not sure how you are using your custom tags, but if you are not using them as part of collision detection here is a work-around. It's probably easier for me to show you then explain it so I put together this video that takes you through this particular solution. Let me know if this helps.

9. paulojsam

paulojsam

hmm from what i understand the tag is used for meshes with a collider to enable bullets not to pierce the objects when the players shoot them. Thats why i am stuck into using that especific tag to every part of the scenario.

10. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit

OK, so it sounds like you are using a custom tag for some sort of collision detection. So I can better assist you please provide more details using the contact form on my website?