Search Unity

[RELEASED] Flux - The Cinematic Editor For Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nafonso, Jun 1, 2014.

1. TopThreat

TopThreat

Hi thanks for the super fast response! With dialog system you can call other functions so I think this will be a good fit for my project.

2. nafonso

nafonso

Cool! Try it out and let me know how it goes. This is another case where a cutscene tool is really helpful, since you have mostly scripted scenes that get triggered based on a choice that the player does.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso
    http://www.fluxeditor.com

3. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Well, I didn't have time for a trial, but I bought it anyway - I'm sure it will be amazing.

Look forward to using it (one day) :)

cheers

Nalin

4. schmosef

schmosef

Hi @nafonso,

I bought Flux during the sale.

The demo scene works fine on iOS and Android but it doesn't build for Windows Store. A bunch of script errors come up that cause the Build to fail.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue? Is Windows Store not supported?

Attached Files:

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

As LeeAllen mentioned, you can use the SendMessage() sequencer command to send "Play" to your Flux sequence, or write a custom sequencer command. The Dialogue System provides a template C# script for custom sequencer commands, so it should only take a couple lines of code. I'll look into the possibility of including a sequencer command for Flux in the next version of the Dialogue System.

6. Jackyhe

Jackyhe

Hi @nafonso,
    I've just download the latest trial version of flux, and import it to Unity 5.1.1f.
    It almost runs well.
    But when I add a call function event, choose Component and Method, and set CallOnlyOnTrigger to false.
    I think it will call the method at the given time, but it doesn't work.
    Did i miss something?
    Hope ur answer, thx.
    upload_2015-7-9_12-16-35.png

7. paulmiller

paulmiller

Hi,

could you tell me - does Flux support output formats more suitable for a workflow involving compositing/postprocessing? I'm thinking of 16-bit (or higher) .EXRs, optional render passes (depth, spec, metallicity etc), and an ability to render separate layers for background, characters, FX etc...

Thanks!

8. Ging2020

Ging2020

Hi,@nafonso

I use Flux 2.0.3(May14,2015) in unity3d 5.1.1f1 and 5.1.0f3 ,ran into aproblem.When I select Syncw/AnimationWindo ,unity3d displays this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FluxEditor.AnimationWindowProxy.StartAnimationMode () (at Assets/Flux/Editor/AnimationWindowProxy.cs:116)
    FluxEditor.FAnimationTrackEditor.OnUpdate () (at Assets/Flux/Editor/Editors/FAnimationTrackEditor.cs:105)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:137)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:602)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:744)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent_0.cs:53)
    FluxEditor.FSequenceEditor.Update () (at Assets/Flux/Editor/FSequenceEditor.cs:1870)
    FluxEditor.FSequenceEditorWindow.Update () (at Assets/Flux/Editor/FSequenceEditorWindow.cs:192)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:185)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:178)
    UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:243)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:264)

Please tell me how to do it ?I was in a hurry to use it.

9. Ging2020

Ging2020

this is the picture for the error err.PNG

10. ionside

ionside

We're having same problem as jlklklklklkl, same specs and errors. Can only assume unity3d 5.1.1f1 has some issues!

11. nafonso

nafonso

Hey guys,

First of all sorry I didn't answer sooner, for some reason I didn't get notified. I don't get how these forums work, some times you get notifications, some times you don't. If you are in a hurry it is best to just send an email to the support email as I get those right away.

As for each one, here goes:

@schmosef I confess that I never did any Windows Store stuff. The errors you're posting there seem to show that System.Type is "stripped" of some methods in Windows Store?! I'll take a look at it and let you know, but maybe there are some limitations in Windows Store .NET that I wasn't aware of.

@Jackyhe Call Only On Trigger is to define if you only want that function to be called on trigger (i.e. whenever the event gets first evaluated, so even if the event is 5 seconds long it will only call it once), if you don't check that then it will be called for every time that event gets called. Is that not the behaviour you're seeing? If so, can I get a repro case?

@jlklklklklkl & @ionside I'm pretty sure I've already talked with one of you (probably @jlklklklklkl), basically Unity started sending out a new version of the Animation Window, so all those tricks I was using in order to sync animations got broken. I already sent the one that contacted me a fix, but if you just update to the version released today (2.0.4), it has already been fixed.

Keep in mind, that as Unity changes their APIs it may break again, but if it does just get in touch with me to take care of fixing it ASAP.

If you guys have any more questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

12. nafonso

nafonso

13. ionside

ionside

Thank you so much, nafonso. :)

14. BoboShu

BoboShu

Hi nafonso . i use Flux for a Action game.
    I want serialize the every event datas to JSON (or other). how to do it?
    sorry for my bad English.

15. nafonso

nafonso

Hi! Flux atm doesn't support any out of the box JSON serialisation, although there's nothing that would prevent you writing custom serialisation for it (just look at [SerializeField] to know exactly what Flux saves).

However, I'm more curious about why you'd like to have it. Can you provide me a use case for it? You're the first person that has never shown a need for it.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

16. BoboShu

BoboShu

hi! nafonso . thanks for you reply.
    I am a programer in china. In China , the designer like using JSON (or excel) to controll the game data than use GUI Editor. In Action Game, a attack animation has 3 framerange ,such as (start(1-3),active(3-10),recovery(10-15)), the first edit it on Flux Editor is ok,but when the designer want to change this attack framerange, the must edit in Editor. or we create a custom event for change my role base property(atk,def...) or give a speed up param. they want edit in a text editor . do you know what i need?
    my english is bad . thx you again.

17. nafonso

nafonso

Hi @BoboShu,

Ok, now I get what you're trying to achieve. I confess that ATM flux is focused on being used in editor, and unfortunately there's no easy solution for what you want.

What I'd suggest is that you have a script that reads the data from json/csv, instantiates the flux sequence, changes the events, and then forces flux to rebuild the animation tracks (ATM I don't have access to a PC but start by checking FAnimationTrack) so that it adjusts all animators automatically for you.

Does that make sense? If you have any issues or questions feel free to contact me directly through the support email.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

18. TonyT

TonyT

Hi All

I have been using Flux for a project and I just wanted to chime in to recommend Flux.

For my current project I had a few very specific requirements for being about to scrub in game and I tried a few different options (Chronos, Cinema Director, USequence) but only Flux was able to do what I needed (able to scrub particles, animation and sound) reliably.

Nuno has been extremely helpful when I get stuck or if I hit a bug. So check out the demo and I am sure you will like flux (it is very easy to get up and running for most things but you will need a little scripting knowledge to more advanced stuff)

Tony

nafonso likes this.
  19. Nick_Koufou

Nick_Koufou

Hey,

Just a quick question. How can I specify an audio source when I use the Play Audio event?

Thanks
    Nick

20. nafonso

nafonso

The default Play Audio Event that comes with Flux gets the AudioSource component of the owner of the timeline / track, so you drag that AudioSource GO into the Sequence to have it's timeline and add a Play Audio track. Makes sense?

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

21. Nick_Koufou

Nick_Koufou

Oh I get it, it would then make sense to split up the GameObjects so I don't have to go attaching Audio Sources everywhere. I have a sequence, as an example, with 3 GameObjects that I am animating. Each GO has an Play Audio track but in this case it would make sense to create a Audio GO with a Play Audio track that handles audio clip triggering for all of the GOs.

22. nafonso

nafonso

It depends on what you want to do. If you only need to play 1 audio at a time, then you can have a "shared AudioSource" and multiple Play Audio events on it. If you need them to be playing in parallel, then you need to have multiple GOs each with 1 AudioSource.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

23. Nick_Koufou

Nick_Koufou

That was the issue I was just having after restructuring this. I need multiple audio sources to stop the audio cutting out when the events overlap. Thanks again for your help Nuno. I think I am good for now

24. ouva

ouva

I'm trying to move a character with an in-place walking cycle. What is the easiest way to achieve this?

I tried making the body, child of a gameobject that has a separate animation that changes its position while the child is playing the walk cycle, but so far Flux has been unreliable in showing realtime the effect of both.

25. nafonso

nafonso

If I understood correctly, you have a character that has a move animation with no translation, so you want that to play and then use something else to move that character along, am I right?

If so, the 2 options are tweening the GO or, like you said, have a separate animation for the "root motion".
    Can you please send a project with what you're trying to do to the support email? I just want to see exactly how you're trying to do it.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

26. yezzer

yezzer

Hi, I'm using the trial to evaluate whether this is the right plugin, and I'm getting the following error when trying to use some large events (Voiceover audio which I need to sequence events to). Is it possible to use events larger than 2987?

Trying to resize an Event to [5720,8729] (length: 3009) which isn't a valid length, should be between [1,2987]
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
    FluxEditor.FSequenceEditor:MoveEvent(FEvent, FrameRange) (at /Users/nafonso/Development/FluxTrial/FluxEditor/Editor/FSequenceEditor.cs:1451)
    FluxEditor.FEventInspector:OnInspectorGUI() (at /Users/nafonso/Development/FluxTrial/FluxEditor/Editor/Inspectors/FEventInspector.cs:154)
    FluxEditor.FPlayAudioEventInspector:OnInspectorGUI() (at /Users/nafonso/Development/FluxTrial/FluxEditor/Editor/Inspectors/FPlayAudioEventInspector.cs:29)
    FluxEditor.FEditorInspector`2:OnInspectorGUI(Single) (at /Users/nafonso/Development/FluxTrial/FluxEditor/Editor/FEditorInspector.cs:107)
    FluxEditor.FInspectorWindow:Render(Rect) (at /Users/nafonso/Development/FluxTrial/FluxEditor/Editor/FInspectorWindow.cs:63)
    FluxEditor.FInspectorWindow:OnGUI() (at /Users/nafonso/Development/FluxTrial/FluxEditor/Editor/FInspectorWindow.cs:101)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

27. nafonso

nafonso

Yes, the reason it has that limitation is because you probably have another event that you'd collide with after 2987. If by any chance that's not the case, can you please send me that project for me to look at?

Also, keep in mind that Unity's animation system is limited to 10k frames for recording, which is what Flux uses in the background. You're getting close to that limit, so I suggest you think about splitting that sequence into multiple ones.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

28. Wallawocko

Wallawocko

Hey everyone,

Very impressed with the trial of this plugin. Seems very robust, but also much simpler than some of the other timeline editors.
    One question - I'm going to be doing a lot of my timeline manipulation from Code. The API references have done a great job in showing me how this can be done, but i'm having trouble with some of the Events, particularly the transform ones.

For example: FTweenPositionEvent. How do I set the start and to positions? The FTweenPositionEvent.tween is read only, and I dont see any place to pass in locations. However, this must be possible, as in editor there is a "Set from" and "Set To" button.

Please advise. Otherwise, awesome plugin.

29. nafonso

nafonso

Although we already talked in person I probably should have come here to answer anyway :p Basically the way it was working in the editor was via SerializedProperties (Flux uses them extensively for Undo purposes), but in the newest version I made sure that those events get properly exposed by API too.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

30. musolo

musolo

Hi it seams to be good thing but there is no tutorials showing how to ''make cutscene'' from opening flux window to exporting resulted cutscene image sequence, with animated skeletal meshes in the scene, at least two cameras and some more or less complex setup of actual cutscene.
    All there is - few feautures showng vids.
    Would be a good sign if you'd make one complete cutsscene tutor.

31. nafonso

nafonso

Hi Musolo,

Have you seen this video posted in the 1.x playlist?

Here it goes through the whole process of doing a cutscene, it's accelerated because it's was pretty big in realtime (12min) but if you want to see it in real time you can slow time in youtube (and turn off sound to not be annoying ;-).

With the other videos I tried to show multiple parts of doing a cutscene, not the whole process as usually that's not the most interesting part for people, they want to have just the tidbit so it's easier for them to find what they want.

Just one correction, Flux doesn't export image sequences. Flux is meant to be a realtime cutscene tool, not pre-recorded. Usually for pre-recorded stuff artists prefer to just use the content creation tools like Maya.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

32. jonijoba

jonijoba

Hi Nuno,
    Could you give some details on Playmaker setup ? (compile flags change?)

Thanks by advance,
    Joni

33. nafonso

nafonso

You just need to add the FLUX_PLAYMAKER compiler flag in Unity's Player settings, then the Playmaker-related scripts in Extensions/Playmaker will become available.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

34. jonijoba

jonijoba

Thank you Nuno for your quick answer.
    Would it possible to get an update of the unity4 version (at least for Playmaker) or is the Unity4 version abandonned?

Thanks,
    joni

35. nafonso

nafonso

Hi Joni,

Sorry but the Unity 4.x version is dead for quite a while now. :-/

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

36. nabehih

nabehih

Hi nafonso,
    Do you have any idea if the software can be used for different use cases? such as video management system where you may need the timeline features and just not the editing of the videos

37. nafonso

nafonso

Not really, it was done with only cinematics in mind, sorry.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso