Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Flux - The Cinematic Editor For Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nafonso, Jun 1, 2014.

1. nafonso

nafonso

Hi,

Unfortunately, the way unity handles the references in a dll and in source code breaks the script references when you go from one to another.

There's 2 manual approaches for this. If instead of source code, you compile the Flux source to be a dll, or if you manually set the scripts of all the game objects inside the sequence (which you can make them be visible with a toggle in the sequence inspector).

Some people did some scripts to try to get around this issue, this one looks very promising http://www.daikonforge.com/dfgui/missing-script/ but I haven't tried it myself. If you do try it, please let me know how well it worked.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso
    http://www.fluxeditor.com

2. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

hello ! how are you ?

by testing the demo i can say that this asset might worth every penny ! but i have something to ask, how is possible to access other scripts? for example, i can see FIELD OF VIEW in the camera slot, but how to add BLOOM and change its properties?

Many thanks

3. nafonso

nafonso

To create new kinds of events, you just need to add your own extensions. Here's how the FFieldOfViewEvent.cs looks:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. // you don't have to put it inside the namespace, I just do that
    4. // for all classes I create, instead just do #include Flux;
    5. namespace Flux
    6. {
    7.     // in order to have tween events, just extend the class
    8.     // from FTweenEvent, and then choose what you want to tween on
    9.     // The FEvent attribute is to define how it will show up in the
    10.     // add event menu
    11.     [FEvent("Camera/Field Of View")]
    12.     public class FFieldOfViewEvent : FTweenEvent<FTweenFloat> {
    14.         // have variable to cache the camera so it is faster
    15.         private Camera _camera = null;
    17.         protected override void OnInit()
    18.         {
    19.             // cache the camera on init, so it does only once at
    20.             // the start before the event is used
    21.             _camera = Owner.GetComponent<Camera>();
    22.         }
    24.         protected override void ApplyProperty( float t )
    25.         {
    26.             // apply property gets a float from [0,1],
    27.             // then we apply the tween to get the result
    28.             _camera.fieldOfView = _tween.GetValue( t );
    29.         }
    30.     }
    31. }
    Eventually I'd like to add my own events for Bloom and such, but waiting for Unity 5 to stabilise before I focus on that.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

4. MattiaTraverso

MattiaTraverso

Hey,

I downloaded the free version from your website, but I can't seem to get it running on the Unity 5 beta for OSX. (5.0.0b11)

I get all these errors in the console, and have no way of making the Flux window appears, obviously.

Any idea?

Thanks,

5. nafonso

nafonso

Hi Mattia,

Unfortunately that version isn't compatible with Unity 5. In Unity 5 there were a lot of changes, including a drastic change to the Mecanim APIs, so I'm working on a version tailored for that release.

Still don't know when I'll have at least a trial ready, but if you want I can send you a PM whenever it is done.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

6. inas

inas

Hi Nuno,

I tried almost every cutscene tool in assetstore, your workflow is quite different and IMO clearer. Any update on next version?

7. nafonso

nafonso

Hi Inas,

I'm actively working on it, but I still don't have anything to show. I already have some ppl "flagged" to be notified when I have a version ready to show, if you drop me an email I'll add you to that list.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

8. inas

inas

Hi Nuno,

Been trying to play with Flux. Can we make a sequence into a prefab and edit it later? In my case, i want to have different attack sequence for enemies. However, some enemies have same sequence. What's the best way to make it on Flux?

Also can we add animation event who trigger method? Like Animation Window's animation event?

9. nafonso

nafonso

Yes, you can do that. However, there's a few things that you have to take into account. Either you put everything inside the Sequence GO, and then when you're spawning the prefab everything is ready to go, or you need to make sure that before you play (or init) the sequence, you have either the GameObjects you used or you assign new ones to those timelines.

Flux stores the reference to the GO that owns the timeline, but since the GO may not be in the scene already - and since there's no other way to get that information - , Flux looks for the GOs by path name. So lets say that you have a character called Enemy8 in your hierarchy, Flux will store "/Enemy8" as the path of the owner of the timeline.

So you have 2 ways to do it when the GOs are outside the sequence:
    a) You spawn those GO with the same name, and then Flux will get them
    b) You spawn GO to replace those, and you have to assign them in their Timelines

(a) is the easiest, however some times it isn't practical (e.g. the player can be using FemalePlayer or MalePlayer GOs, but you want them to play the same thing). BTW this is also a limitation when you have to assign like this multiple GOs with the same name, Flux will just grab the first with that name.

(b) is the solution for when you need to replace things, but it implies that you need to search que sequence timelines and set a new Owner (e.g. When you created the sequences you used MalePlayer, so if the user is using FemalePlayer, you search for all the timelines whose owner was MalePlayer and then replace him with FemalePlayer).

Did you understand the options? I know it is a bit complicated, some times when you work with prefabs these things get a little muddy.

Ok this is where things start to get murky. Flux was created for creating cinematic kind of content, so basically cut scenes, scripted events, intros, etc. When you start mixing gameplay with Flux, you start going into rogue territory, because Flux is meant to create something that plays the same way.

So I'd say that the best gameplay scenarios for Flux are things like quick time events, which play out like movies, but then there's an event that makes it jump to another sequence or another part of that same sequence. Other good examples that I see is assume that there's a "scripted city collapsing" behind our character, and then it either plays out without killing him, or if it catches the player it kills him, or a turn based game where you have these scripted attacks.

It's not that you can't do gameplay with Flux, is that it will start to get "ugly" and in some instances hacky. So I caution ppl on how they use it because in some situations it may not be the best option.

For this I have 1 doubt, if they can play the sequence at the same time:
    1. Enemies can play at the same time - spawn N enemies, then spawn N sequences. For each enemy, assign him the timelines of his sequence.
    2. Enemies cannot play at the same time - spawn N enemies, then spawn 1 sequence. Before each enemy can play it, you need to call Stop(true) (true is to force it to init before playing again), then assign the timelines to that enemy, and only after that play the sequence.

If I understand this correctly, you'd want to have an event that sets the owner of the timeline? That will be worse, because you'll now have to find specific events and set variables on them. Also, it wouldn't work because the owners have to be assigned to the timelines before the timeline starts playing. This is to be more optimised, because we have an init phase in which you can cache stuff so that you can be ready for playing without any overhead (i.e. frames dropped).

That being said, I'm adding 2 functions right now, a FSequence.ReplaceOwner( Transform oldOwner, Transform newOwner ) and a FSequence.ReplaceOwner( string timelineName, Transform newOwner ), where timelineName is the name of the GO. I may also add one that uses the Transform path, I'll think about it (only helpful when you have more than 1 GO with the same name and inside other GOs).

These will be on Flux 2.0. After spawning a sequence, you'd just have to do something like:
    sequence.ReplaceOwner( "MalePlayer", femalePlayerGO ).

Hope I answered your questions, if not let me know ;-]

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

10. inas

inas

Hi Nuno, thanks for very detailed answer

"You spawn those GO with the same name, and then Flux will get them"

I tried to make a simple sequence on my Cube which i named "Kube". The cube is outside of sequence object. Then i make the sequence as a prefab. Delete the sequence and put it back from prefab to scene. After that, i delete the Cube, make a new Sphere named "Kube". Sadly when i test play it, there will be
    "UnassignedReferenceException: The variable _owner of FTimeline has not been assigned." error

What's wrong?

11. nafonso

nafonso

The problem is that you are spawning the sequence before Kube is in the scene. Try adding the sphere "Kube" before dragging the sequence prefab into the scene. If that doesn't work, then it's a bug.

I can probably also add something to the code that when you're calling sequence.Init() (or simply Play, which will call Init inside) it will try to get the owners from the scene if they are null, since you'll get exceptions anyway, and if they aren't null it doesn't search the scene so there's no big overhead.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

12. inas

inas

Hi Nuno,

Yes i can confirm that even if i drag the sequence after adding the sphere "Kube" to scene, the sequence didn't start. I have enabled Play on Start on the sequence. When i inspect on Flux Editor, the editor told me that "Kube" is missing. Although i have added a sphere called "Kube" on scene.

I am still on trial version of Flux though

13. nafonso

nafonso

Then it's a bug, somewhere along the line that got broken. I can guarantee that it is working on 2.0 version.

For that version then you have to assign the owner manually :-\

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

14. inas

inas

Hi Nuno,

Well, that's allright for now. Cant wait for version 2.0 on Unity 5 :D

Replacing actors is crucial to our workflow. And yes we plan to add attack sequence on turn based RPG.

My suggestion for now is:
    1. Can we somehow edit the path string ourselves? I think it can differentiate from other cutscene solution
    2. Add a reflection event. So we can call method on any component on owner.

15. nafonso

nafonso

Getting close! However some times changes on the beta is forcing me to redo some stuff. Hopefully soon I'll start posting some videos and having a beta version for some ppl to try out.

The path string is internal, I don't expose it because it is supposed to not be something the user can touch. However, if you have the source, you can change that to be exposed (but I highly recommend you don't).

As a solution, I recommend you use the FSequence.ReplaceOwnerByPath( string ownerPath, Transform newOwner ). That way you can simply do something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. FSequence sequence = (FSequence)Instantiate( sequencePrefab );
    2. sequence.ReplaceOwnerByPath( "/Characters/Tank", mageCharacter );
    I'm planning on adding some reflection events. My only concern is the IL2CPP that is coming, not sure if it will be supported properly on the platforms. Sure hope so. In any case, probably won't do them for 2.0, probably will be for 2.1. I need to stop adding stuff, otherwise I'll never finish it! :p

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

16. inas

inas

Excellent!

I think this API could solve path string too. I guess we should call it several time if we want to change owner on different track in the same sequence?

Ah yes , i dont know either whether reflection will properly supported on IL2CPP.

17. nafonso

nafonso

Yes. Hmmm I may change the functions to receive a bunch of Pair values, that way it will go through the timelines only once, and not 1 time per GO replacement.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

18. nafonso

nafonso

Hi guys,

Just letting you know that Flux 2.0 is just waiting for UT to approve to the Asset Store. Here's the 2.0 videos (playlist here) about the cool new features:

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

19. noethis

noethis

Hi Nuno, just tried the trial version of Flux. It was really easy to pick up and learn, so good job on that!,

As someone who's used UE's matinee quite a bit, I really wish this had a "curves" editor and the ability to set keyframes. The UE workflow of positioning/setting up entities in the viewport, then setting a keyframe tends to work much better/faster for positioning/rotating/etc. objects versus your current system of linear from/to tweens IMO. And the ability to edit the curves manually to adjust the exact splines that a particular timeline travels along is pretty critical for polishing up game sequences.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that idea out there. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Hah, just saw your Flux 2.0 animation video--I guess that pretty much answers my request! :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  20. nafonso

nafonso

@noethis Cool! Yeah, there's a temptation of doing it inline, but what I was hoping was that UT would improve their curve / animation editor and that it would be modular so that it could be included in Flux (e.g. have the curve editor inline there, Flux was developed that way so in _theory_ you can plug it into other editors).

However, I'm starting to think that was wishful thinking and will never happen :p

So at least I tried to make it as easy as possible to connect the two, hence the "sync with animation window" feature from Flux 2.0.

In any case, feel free to give feedback ;-]

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

21. mcmorry

mcmorry

I have Flux 1.2.5 and on the asset store I saw that the version 2 require Unity 5.
    I'm still using unity 4.6 and I can't find aniwhere if 1.2.5 is the last available version for unity 4.6. In case not where can I get the last updates?
    Thanks

22. nafonso

nafonso

Yes, I don't plan to update Flux 1.x anymore. Since the move to Unity 5 forced to rewrite a lot of Flux, it just doesn't make sense maintaining them in parallel because they wouldn't be able to keep synced in features.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

23. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi, does it work with ufps and adventure creator?

Thanks

24. nafonso

nafonso

Do you mean out of the box? If so, then no, I've never used those packages, and as so Flux doesn't have any scripts that connect to them by default.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

25. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

ok thanks .

26. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Hi,
    I brought Flux an hour ago. I'm using Flux 2.xx from asset store with latest Unity 5.

I need some help.

When I press on Full version, I get eeee2.png

When I convert from Trial to full version, I get:
    eeee1.png

Please advise.

27. nafonso

nafonso

Well the problem is that Unity doesn't convert scripts from dlls to source code, if you delete dlls and put in source code Unity doesn't associated the files.

Check this comment here in this thread I answered http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...c-editor-for-unity.249342/page-2#post-1824668 .

Basically either you have to use an external tool like the one mentioned there to help Unity figure this out, or you need to redo the content with full source. This is something that I was hoping Unity 5 would support, but so far no luck :-\

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

28. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Hi,
    Can you check your product with Unity5 (latest) ?

There is lots of errors when importing to new project.

29. nafonso

nafonso

Can you please send a bug report with that project to support at fluxeditor? I haven't heard anybody complaining that Flux 2.x doesn't work with Unity 5.0.

There will be at one error with 5.1 because UT is changing some APIs, but nothing major so far.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

30. inas

inas

Hi @nafonso

When i test v.2.0.1 trial version, i create a cube and a new sequence. Drag the cube to the sequence. When i hit play, there are many errors happens in this flavor:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Flux.FSequence.HasTimelines ()
    FluxEditor.FSequenceEditor.OnGUI ()
    FluxEditor.FSequenceEditorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

ps: I guess the problem may comes from trial version on your website?

31. nafonso

nafonso

Hi @inas,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Seems that something changed with one of the last Unity 5 builds, I have tried to contact UT to find out what's wrong. My guess is that we need to do something different for Unity 5 dlls, but atm I don't know what's wrong.

It feels like when it goes into play, it looses the script references, pretty weird. Whenever I have a fix I'll let you know.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

32. nafonso

nafonso

@inas Just a quick update. It was a bug with Unity, and I've been told that a fix is coming in a future past.

If it takes too long to have that patch, I'll probably just remove the code for the trial version that has the problems (has to do with the new Unity events).

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

33. LongJohn

LongJohn

the cinematic looks awesome! this tool looks great keep up the good work nuno

nafonso likes this.
  34. nafonso

nafonso

@inas Since Unity is taking a lot of time to do the patch, I created a new trial that is based on 2.0.2 (which was already submitted to the asset store, waiting for approval) but doesn't have the code that Unity fails to import atm.

Basically the only limitation is that the callback to call methods when a sequence is finished is disabled for now.

Also, version 2.0.2 adds Playmaker support. In order to activate it make sure you have Playmaker on your project and add FLUX_PLAYMAKER in your player compile flags, otherwise feel free to not import those extension files.

As always, you can get it here http://www.fluxeditor.com/try.html.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

EDIT: It is already available on the Asset Store.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  35. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

Is there any way to play more than one sound at a time? I have two sounds that overlap, but the first cuts off the second one.

36. nafonso

nafonso

Are you trying to play them in the same AudioSource? You need to have 2 separate GameObjects with an AudioSource each one and tell them in separate tracks to play an audio, if you do it on the same AudioSource it will override whatever is playing.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

37. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

I am just using the FPlayAudioEvent object that is created when I add a Play Audio track event. That accepts an AudioClip.

I am not sure how to play a sound on an object with an AudioSource, as the docs don't go into any detail about it (as far as I have found). I would prefer to be able to do that.

Thanks!

Edit: I figured out that you drag an object into the timeline, then add Play Audio, then drag an AudioClip into the FPlayAudioEvent slot in the Flux inspector. But it seems like that removes a lot of the new Unity 5 audio capabilities and isn't intuitive to have to provide a clip when the object itself has one assigned. Could this be improved in the future?

Edit2: Now I see there's a tutorial in the full package. I started with the trial. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  38. nafonso

nafonso

Basically when you create a Play Audio track in a GameObject, it will attach a AudioSource to it (if it doesn't have one) and tell it to play that audio file (just hit play and select that GameObject in the hierarchy, you'll see the AudioSource script attached to it).

So if you want to play sounds in parallel, you need to have another GameObject and add a Play Audio track to it, like so:

TwoAudioTracks.png

See how one is a track of the Cube and the other of the Sphere? Otherwise, if you tell the Cube to play 2 audios in parallel it replaces the current playing one with another. Makes sense?

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

jasonMcintosh likes this.
  39. TrentSterling

TrentSterling

Hey man, just checked out the demo, and this thing is a dream. I'll be buying this gem soon. Nice work. Needed some easier easing without the hassle of curves and the animation window.

nafonso likes this.
  40. QLINT_QLINT

QLINT_QLINT

Tried the trial version:

I'm a mac user, the zip file is kind of broken. You can't just remove the ".zip" endening from the downloadable unitypackage file in order to get it to work. I downloaded for a pc instead unpacked it and sent it to my mac. Problem solved, for now anyway.

Time scrubbing audio in the sequencer does not work at all, sounds will not play at all with the sequencer when in editor mode, not even when i push the play button inside the sequencer. The sound starts when in runtime though. This is too bad... its like.. I need this. badly, the sound playing inside of editor that is.. but ->nothing happens<- T_T also time scrubbing animations does not seem to work eighter.

I use unity 5.0.2f1

fml

41. nafonso

nafonso

That's a zip file, you have to unzip it, so removing the .zip doesn't work.

This is by design, maybe I there's should be an option to have sound when you hit play in Flux, but sound with scrubbing doesn't really work (IMO), because what you get is sampling at certain points so it just sounds like noise not really sound (and becomes irritating).

I'll try to add support for playing sound when you click play, but which manually scrubbing atm I don't see the interest (so far you're the only one asking for it)

Can you send me that project to the support email? I'll have a look at what can be wrong. Keep in mind that Flux only works with Mecanim animation (i.e. Animator/AnimatorController), not legacy animation system.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

42. nafonso

nafonso

43. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Nuno

Just seen this for sale and thinking of picking it up.

I am just wondering if this works with Camera Path Animator at all?

I was planning on using that to animate the camera path etc. and for a Sequencer (Flux?) to animate other objects in the scene if that makes sense?

Any advice appreciated :)

thanks

Nalin

44. nafonso

nafonso

Hi Nalin,

Well thanks for the heads up! I didn't even get an email from UT saying that it was going to be on a sale! XD

If they can work together, sure, but they won't work out of the box. Basically you need to have an event in Flux that will tell Camera Path Animator to place the camera at that given position / time. I haven't used Camera Path Animator, but I assume that it has such an API that you can just call.

However, I'd say that the best option is to just do the camera animation in Flux if you're starting from scratch. I'd only consider using them both if you have already a lot of content authored with Camera Path Animator and you don't want to redo it.

Flux has a tight integration with Unity Animation Window, which allows you to see paths, tweak keyframes, rescale animations, all while preview mode is on. Check this video for more info about it:

I suggest you get the trial and give it a go, you can find it at http://www.fluxeditor.com/try.html .

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

45. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Can objects be set at runtime?
    I guess with "setOwner". Let's say I want to animate a character with a drop in but use the player instead, which gets instantiated at runtime, so I can't use the final target while animating.

46. nafonso

nafonso

Yes, you can. By default, the sequence will try to get that Transform by name (since in Unity there's no other good way to reference other objects which you don't have a specific reference to), so you can do 2 things:
    1. Spawn the object you want to use and set it's name to the same name it had when you built the sequence, and afterwards spawn Flux sequence. This will just work (easiest way)
    2. If you need to spawn the object after the Flux sequence is already in the scene, you can go through the sequence and associate new GOs to the timelines, so yes, there's a SetOwner.
    I recommend #1 if you can just because you don't need to do any extra code, but they both work.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

47. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

That sounds easy enough. Can two identical sequences run at the same time? I always worked with animating things directly, but most probably something like flux is better for that.
    I still try to get my character to enter a car. I use final IK, but I need to unlock the door, play the door sound, activate the car controller etc. from script. Could I make a door-enter-sequence and use two of them with two different cars and players at the same time if I set the owners accordingly?

48. nafonso

nafonso

Yes, as long as you set the owners properly they'll run fine. However, not sure what setup you're doing, but keep in mind that even though you can use Flux for gameplay (and some people have done so), it's conception was to focus on cutscenes or "limited gameplay", i.e. quick time events. For certain kinds of gameplay it may not be the best tool for the job (and this applies to all sequencer kind of tools, not just Flux).

I'd suggest you download the trial and give it a go, make sure it's the right tool for the job first. If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso

49. TopThreat

TopThreat

Have you tried this asset with Dialog System for Unity? Is there a command that I could simply call to play one of the sequences?
    Thanks!

50. nafonso

nafonso

I haven't tried to use Dialog System yet, but as long as it can call other functions you're fine. FSequence has functions to play, pause, set a specific time, speed, you name it ;-]

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso