Search Unity

[RELEASED] First Person RPG Complete Source Code - DEMO AVAILABLE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by neler93, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Awesome Asset! Thank you for all your hard work! Will 2017.1 - 2 be supported?

2. Ryry36

Ryry36

Hi just purchased this asset! Its Awesome!! I was using Game Maker Studio, and I've never used unity before, and saw this asset and figured I could try to learn unity with this. As you can probably guess, I have a question. I created a new scene and am using terrain. In the demo scene with the horse when you dismount it, it seems to snap to the floor. when dismounting in my scene it floats in the air. I can not figure out how you made it snap to the floor in the Demo Scene. That would be great to know. Also adding saving and loading would be great, I hope that comes soon! Finally in your video it has a really cool sun sprite, lighting, and fog and I was wondering if any of that's in the asset. If it is please include it in the new demo scene! Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  3. neler93

neler93

Hey there Ryry! Thank you for buying the asset! The horse uses NavMeshAgent to align itself with the terrain, so be sure to generate NavMesh in your scene. If he still floats tinker with the NavMeshAgent offset until you get desired effect.

Ryry36 likes this.
  4. Ryry36

Ryry36

Thanks for the quick reply! I found a bug where if you drop a shield or torch while its equipped, it will still be drawn on the screen. Thanks again for the awesome asset!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. johny256

johny256

Save and load?

Xain likes this.
  6. Ryry36

Ryry36

Also another thing I wanted to mention is I'm using unity 2017 and got a ton of errors on startup but after clearing them I never got them again

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. emperor12321

emperor12321

I’ve really been enjoying this, could you build one complete demo scene so I can make sure I’m not missing any features?

Xain and Ryry36 like this.
  8. TechSins

TechSins

any updates on this?

Ryry36, Xain and emperor12321 like this.
  9. MachoBrizzin

MachoBrizzin

Yes, are there going to be further updates? This asset was sold as source code and doesn't really need to be updated since it's not a traditional package (and is actually rather easy to modify), but you were planning on updating it a little bit further, correct? Please let us know whether we can expect further updates or not. :) Good day.

10. neler93

neler93

Hey guys!
    Sorry for not responding earlier, but I had a lot of work to do with my job so I just did not have enough time to work on the asset. I am currently finishing up save/load system together with some minor improvements and will be looking to upload it as soon as possible. Though, since this is not a kit but a source code, I will provide a backend of save/load system together with an example and guide how to use it, but users will need to implement it into their scenes.

Ryry36 likes this.
  11. TechSins

TechSins

Hey @nenadradojcic How soon will this be ready? cause i am thinking of buying this system cause it looks really interesting.

12. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

Do you have a roadmap or anything like that?

13. neler93

neler93

I do not have roadmap for this project. It was an abandoned game that I wraped up and put online so others can use its resources in creating their own game. Apart from adding save/load system I do not intend to add anything new into this project.

14. ExedysDigital

ExedysDigital

could you show my how i would make the character customization and main menu into my game

15. TechSins

TechSins

RiverIsRising and Xain like this.
  16. Ryry36

Ryry36

Hi I found a bug in the inventory and was wondering if you could check it out! When using a bow and you fire your last arrow, occasionally you will find that the bow is duplicated and you have two bows equipped. I'm not sure why this happens.

Xain likes this.
  17. neler93

neler93

Hey guys! So, am I thrilled to inform you that save/load system together with a number of fixes and adjustments will be coming in a just few days. I only need to test few things out and will be uploading version 1.4 to the AssetStore!

18. TechSins

TechSins

Yes!!!! that's great to hear thanks a lot!

19. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

neat! I just picked this up, love the old 3d with 2d characters style. Had a quick play around in the demos, on 2017 and then 5.5.0, both of them seem to have my character slide backwards slowly without any input. Anyone else have this issue? I thought maybe because i had a controller plugged in but I removed it, still same issue.

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Please add load and save :(

neler93 likes this.
  21. thenamesace

thenamesace

try looking 3 posts up!

pushingpandas likes this.
  22. TechSins

TechSins

@nenadradojcic Has it been sent to unity yet? i am so eager to get my hands on the save and load

pushingpandas likes this.
  23. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

I've also noticed the container functionality isn't present, I had a go at adding in the code myself and could get a UI happening, but the whole item container needs to be implemented. I am also struggling to get topics to work, I've made new ones, but I can't find anywhere to assign the topics to an NPC (other than merchant ones), and all it will bring up is the demo topic. Am I missing something somewhere? And the part where you say "Project comes with complete documentation that will teach you how to add new npcs/items/quests etc." is a bit misleading as it is by no means complete, and it doesn't tell me much about how to effectively implement the features it covers. I really love the old styling of the game but I am left feeling that this asset falls short of acceptable for sale on the UAS. Happy to discuss it before I go making a review.

24. neler93

neler93

The main problem with the "asset" is that in no way this is an asset. It is a complete game source code, and can be in a way hard to understand and grasp at first, thus the lack of more detailed documentation. This is also the reason for lower price, because this is no template or kit, but a complete and fully functional game.

25. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

But that's my point, you have a very different definition of "complete" to everyone else and that makes the title and advertisement misleading, yes you have given us the source code you completed, but it is not a complete game system. This project is not "completely" documented. There are many functions missing or simply not working, so it is not fully functional.

The video you show of the game as it was has many features put together where there is no explanation of how to replicate this in what's provided, and the "complete" guide to setting up the npc just tells you how to dress them . I'm also confused as in a previous post you say you took out the demo scene because you want to protect the IP for the lore etc, but in another you say all the artwork and hard coded character backgrounds are owned by the purchaser? Also it is an "asset", it's sold on the asset store and is packaged as an asset, which is the file type unity reads.

edit: sorry, I realise i'm coming off quite combative here, I like the asset, I just don't think it belongs on the UAS. It's more suited to selling through another service like sellfy or something, selling it on the UAS is part of the reason why people are thinking it's more of a template.

2nd edit: I've also figured out why topics weren't working. The documentation and the demo topic tell you to add it to the random assigner script, but in the interior demo the inn keeper has the topic as a child of the gameobject. This isn't explained anywhere else but the little panel beside the inn keeper in the scene. For anyone interested I will work on a demo YT video showing how to setup a scene and change things to get you started.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Xain likes this.
  26. TechSins

TechSins

Yeah would love a video to show how to set things up

uberwiggett likes this.
  27. TechSins

TechSins

Just wish i could get the save/load system its all that really needs to be added

28. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Any news on the load/save system???

RiverIsRising and MachoBrizzin like this.
  29. MachoBrizzin

MachoBrizzin

I would also like an update on the Save / Load system. Are you still planning to release it?

RiverIsRising likes this.
  30. neler93

neler93

Hey guys, I wanted to give you just quick update! I managed to implement save/load system and will be uploading it tonight. Hope that the update will be authorized for Asset Store soon enough for you all to enjoy. There are also minor improvements regarding AI, User Interface and some minor coding errors that are coming together with the system in the new update. I hope you will enjoy it! :)

31. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Amazing! Thank you very much!!!

32. MachoBrizzin

MachoBrizzin

Woo! Can't wait to give it a go. Thanks very much.

33. MachoBrizzin

MachoBrizzin

Hm, seems it hasn't been updated yet... How long does it take to be authorized? I'm anxious to try it out, haha.

34. neler93

neler93

Authorization can take from just a few days, to well... a month. Lets hope that it won't take that much.

TechSins and uberwiggett like this.
  35. TechSins

TechSins

Hopefully it will be released today i want it so bad.........

36. neler93

neler93

Hey guys! I just wanted to inform you that the asset has been updated on the Asset Store and is now live. Go ahead and update your asset to see new save/load feature. I will post an simple guide how the system works in a hour or so. (Currently busy and on my phone)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    RiverIsRising, uberwiggett and Xain like this.
  37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, there is no documentation how to use save/load and there is no example scene for save/load :(

38. neler93

neler93

Yeah, i know there is no documentatiom on how to use it. I am working on series of video tutorials showing how to use the souce code, save/load is one of the first videos. It should be available in couple of days. I am also building one big scene with all the features showcasing what can be done with the source code. I am crrently away from my pc, but when i get to it, I will write how to use save/load system. (Trust me, it is VERY easy)

uberwiggett and pushingpandas like this.
  39. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Cool great thank you!

40. neler93

neler93

As a quck setup guide for save/load system. You should find prefab "_UICanvasGame" in your Prefabs/Game Management/Scene Base Components and drop _UICanvasGame in your scene. (If you do not use this prefab for your scene you will need to assign script SaveLoad.cs to your game object and respectfully call SaveMyGame and LoadMyGame functions). If you use the prefab, all is set. The only difference now is that all npcs and items in scene and that will be instantiated from prefabs need their own unique ID. The id must be UNIQUE so that save management can tell who is who. That is all. You can save/load your game by wish. You save it by clicking on Save button in pause menu, and load it by clicking Load button in pause menu. I little message in the corner will inform you that you did the thing. (save/loaded game) By usual game save is created in Application.persistentData but if you want to change your save directory, you will need to look into SaveLoadExample.cs script and do as it says there.

I am currently working on next update that will come in a week or so. It will feature a complete game scene filled with all features and packed as a simple game, and will also make so that you can have multiple saves per game.

Have fun!

RiverIsRising likes this.
  41. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

Hey nenadradojcic just wanted to say thanks for the effort on that last part, putting the demo scene and tutorial videos together isn't an easy task (I have attempted it twice!) And it's a really great benefit to have it direct from the creator.

I still haven't put in a review yet as I wanted to wait for the save/load etc, also I wanted to see if it was compatible with 2017.3 (haven't had issues so far, but haven't explored everything). Whilst i still maintain some concerns as in my earlier posts I do really appreciate the effort you've put towards the asset.

42. Ryry36

Ryry36

Hi has the new version with the complete game scene been submitted yet? Sorry for being impatient I'm excited to try it lol

43. TechSins

TechSins

Yeah also wanna know that ^^^

44. TechSins

TechSins

Can someone make a video showing how to setup the save and load system properly as it doesn't look like we are getting a update anytime soon

45. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

I'll try and grab time to put something together, I just got a hold of 1.4 to look through what's new. If I can push the project priority up a bit I can spend some time trying to explain portions of it and how to modify it into a prototype.

I've noticed there is still no section in the interact script for containers, just a place to put a sound. the container script seems to be there though, allows you to fill the container but no way to interact with it. I'll see what I can manage to do to get it functional for chests etc too. Hopefully there is still a 1.5 with demo in the pipeline, will make the tute stuff way easier.

edit: so i dug a little deeper, there is still no GUI for the containers, but you can do some tricky editing with the scripts to simulate opening a chest with loot.

I've done this by copying the loot mechanic from dead enemies and reading from the container script, so you can assign what loot is inside the container. The next step will be to allow you to have random loot generated from the loot list, and also containing the spread of the items when they appear, and then listing the container name and "empty" when it's empty. It involves editing scripts etc, not super heavy but does require some knowledge of c # and unity. If I get ten likes by the end of next week I'll make a video giving step by step instructions of how to make these containers.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  46. TechSins

TechSins

@uberwiggett looks really cool! nice work, just hoping the new update will come soon and that this hasn't been abandoned because it's seriously one of the best purchases i have made on the asset store.

47. TechSins

TechSins

Found a bug on the combat scene if you have your sword out and save the game and then load the game it duplicates it in your inventory.

48. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Hey im kinda curious how much work would be involved in adding new graphics in. Like i love the style but would like to add some different sprites in for characters and environment. So i guess im just asking how you took the 2d sprites and were able to get them working in the 3d environment. It looks great man!

49. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

jaytwist it's not overly hard to do, the sprites work from a sprite sheet, but you will need to redo a lot of sprites to match your style, and you may need to make script edits if your sprites are a different height/width. but otherwise most art assets can be changed quite easily.

50. TechSins

TechSins

@uberwiggett did you fix the inventory duplication glitch when saving and loading?