Search Unity

[RELEASED] Farland Skies - Nebula One - procedural skybox

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PhannGor, Nov 24, 2016.

1. PhannGor

PhannGor

Farland Skies - Nebula One is colourful, space style skybox with the custom single-pass shader. Works like a regular skybox material, avoiding the use of any sphere or mesh.

Features:
    • Starfield with adjustable background color, stars tint, and brightness thresholds.
    • Cloudy nebula with customizable colors, density, and diffusion.
    • Nifty skybox animator, that allows to change almost all parameters over time.
    • Easy to control either from scripts or directly in the editor.
    • High Performance. Optimized for mobile devices.
    • Supports both SRP and LWRP.
    • Easy to integrate, just drag prefab to your scene and you're ready to go!
    Demos:
    Screenshots:

Please, feel free to send any feedback, suggestion or critic. It'll always be well received and pondered. Don't hesitate to comment. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hey guys, we're looking for early feedbacks and reviews!

We will give away promo codes to the first ones who will reply and agree to write an honest review for it on the Asset Store. It's that easy - we send you a voucher - you get this asset for free and write a review on Asset Store, just what you think about it.

Hurry up! The number of keys is limited!

3. Pode

Pode

'm currently creating a tiny solar system generator to explain how it works to my 5 years old daughter.

The galactic skyboxes I can find online aren't close to that kind of scifi nebula style.

I don't know if there are still any voucher left, but this asset interests me.

4. THG

THG

i'm eager to test and use this asset. I will write the review for sure, i'm making a space game too

5. PhannGor

PhannGor

@Pode, check your inbox.

6. PhannGor

PhannGor

@THG, i can't send you private message, so here is your code:
    ASV-T3Q3-GGTM-MXA4-UAJM-7YGV

7. THG

THG

Thanks @PhannGor! I will try it tonight and let a review

8. PhannGor

PhannGor

@THG, great! Thank you!

9. PhannGor

PhannGor

We have few more keys in exchange for honest reviews on the asset store. Reply here if you need one ;)

10. Dazza007

Dazza007

I'd be keen to review this for you - I was looking at writing something like this myself - but looks like you have saved me the hard work

Cheers
    Darrin

PhannGor likes this.
  11. PhannGor

PhannGor

@Dazza007,

I can't send you a private message, so please ping me at the email support@borodar.com and I'll be glad to give you free voucher for this asset ;)

12. exiguous

exiguous

Hey PhannGor,
    is the "giveaway" still running? I'm definitely interested in reciving a voucher.

One question. Is this pack compatible with Space Graphics Toolkit?
    regards.
    Henry

13. PhannGor

PhannGor

@exiguous, check your inbox.

Regarding compatibility with Space Graphics Toolkit, I have no idea but don't see any reasound why it should not be compatible. Would be cool if you can test in and post your answer here. Thanks! ;)

14. exiguous

exiguous

Hey PhannGor,
    I have recived your voucher, thanks alot. Review is out.

I have opened a SGT scene with a starfield and a galaxy, dragged your SkyboxController prefab into it and started playmode. The SGT starfield was replaced (overdrawn?) by your Skybox and the SGT galaxy in the "foreground" displayed properly. No issues, no warnings. So I guess it is compatible. I can imagine that they could even cooperate so for example your Package draws the nebula and SGT draws the stars in front of it (requires probably some fiddling with rendering order). But I have not tested this yet. But for the general usage it should be fine anyway.

Kudos for creating this. Probably requires quite a bunch of shader knowledge.

Thanks again for the voucher.
    Regards.
    Henry

15. PhannGor

PhannGor

@exiguous, thank you writing such a detailed and informative review!

16. EbonDust

EbonDust

Hey PhannGor, if there are any keys left i would be happy to test your asset performance on mobile.

17. PhannGor

PhannGor

@EbonDust,

Yes, I have few more vouchers left. I can't send you a private message here, so please ping me at the email support@borodar.com.

18. EbonDust

EbonDust

I had some time to play with this asset and i must say it does look fine and has just enough customization options. What impressed me the most was it's performance. On my low end android testing device(lenovo tab a7-10) it manages stable 38-40 fps with is really great for this kind of effect. Unfortunately as i'm also using beautify and mk glow , all those shaders prove to be too much and i wont be using this asset in android build. But who knows, propably in few months time i will be doing test ios build and since there's no low and there i certainly will be able to use this effect.

19. Django

Django

Hello PhannGor! I would really like to test this in depth and leave a review if there are any vouchers left.

In my game, I am currently using SGT for stars but am rendering large textures from Spacescape to form a skybox that has Nebulas and Galaxies. Your solution here seems like a good lightweight solution for Nebulas.

20. PhannGor

PhannGor

@Django,

Yes, the last one left, so check your inbox ;)

21. Hitch42

Hitch42

I really like the way this asset looks. I'm wondering if it can do a few things. First, is it possible to use it as a regular skybox as seen from the ground? I'd like this effect in the sky above while walking on some terrain. Would it cast shadows on objects? Or would is be possible (or more feasible) to use this in conjunction with another skybox asset?

Also, could it do sort of a "galactic horizon" effect, where the top and bottom "halves" are configured differently? Perhaps assigning different colors and opacity and such, and maybe a glow where they meet? These images are what I have in mind.

I understand if these are outside the scope of this asset.

22. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Hitch42,

I don't see any reason why the "Nebula One" could not be used as a regular skybox. Regarding shadows, skybox doesn't affect shadows in any way, you need to use your own lights for your scene.

About a "galactic horizon" effect, this skybox doesn't support it by default. However, you can modify the nebula density and nebula diffusion cubemaps manually to achieve this effect.

CropperCapture[30].png

Hitch42 likes this.