Search Unity

[Released] Fantasy Village & Tower Defense

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marincastefan, Jul 13, 2016.

1. marincastefan

marincastefan

Fantasy Village & Tower Defense
    Hello4everyone,

We've submitted for review our latest fantasy environment.

Long description cut short:

• over 220 prefabs containing all assets necessary to create an RTS, Tower Defense, or other top-down games
    • high quality hand-painted textures (diffuse + emission)
    • categorised atlased textures (you won't need to use the atlas for the towers if you don't use them in-game, for example)
    • animated buildings where needed (spinning tower or industrial buildings)
    • 9 possible factions for the military buildings (by editing the flag material's offset option)
    • all the props and parts of more complex objects have correct pivot points (for easy aiming, additional animations, etc
    • 4 demo scenes included (a TD game scene where you can draw inspiration, one scene with all the prefabs displayed in a grid, and two more scenes with night-day lighting setup)
    • custom mesh colliders for all the buildings and some of the more complex props
    • particle systems included (fog, fireflies, fire, etc)
    • assets have been developed to work with a 1x1 grid placement system
    A longer description is attached in a .pdf file, if you're interested.

Youtube Trailer

Screenshots

If you made it this far, congratulations! :)

I would like to ask for your feedback and, if you'd be interested in the package.

Also, after it's launch I will give a voucher to the first person in the comments who guesses what number I'm thinking between 1 and 10, while I'm writing this.

It's a totally legit competition, I assure you :)

Edit:
    The package passed the review process, you can find it here:
    Asset Store Link

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

Looks really nice. I'm going to guess number 8.

You didn't specify how many guesses, so also guess 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10 :)

3. Acissathar

Acissathar

Are there modular pieces or are they all pre-constructed?

Also: 4.

4. orb

orb

I'm hoping you're thinking of 7. But probably higher when it comes to the price?

5. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

N8ce looking assets. Good compatibility with others in the store. My guess is 3.

marincastefan likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I will guess 2. :)
    The pack looks very nice - one thing that stands out besides the fine style, is the very highly saturated blue objects.
    I don't know why - they just look extremely saturated in the images.

If I win - please give the voucher to one of the guys who commented above. Or I can.
    Nice work @marincastefan

7. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!

The number was 4, so you guessed it on the 5th try :)
    I'll give you a voucher once it's launched.

8. marincastefan

marincastefan

Congratulations! :D
    You guessed it, it's #4.

It's also written in white, between "Hello" and "everyone".

As soon as the package is accepted, I'll give you the voucher.

There are modular pieces as well, alongside pre-constructed buildings. 19.png 20.png 21.png

theANMATOR2b and Acissathar like this.
  9. marincastefan

marincastefan

The price will be $60.
    The number was 4, but since I'll give a voucher to the first commenter after he/she guessed it on the 5th try, it's politically correct to give one to you too.

Also, nice profile pic :eek:;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  10. marincastefan

marincastefan

Now that you mention it, I'll give it another look to about the saturation, though it might be from the Bloom effect.
    Thanks for the feedback.

And the number was 4. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. orb

orb

Thanks a bundle :)

I was shopping for prototyping art and stuff while I have some time off, and this looks awesome enough to make the shortlist. Chances of actually making a game depends on results of job offers though :p

You shoulda seen the ones I rejected!

12. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

That makes for some happy news on a Friday, thank you.

I am curious the amount of tri's like an range of low to high not necessarily every single one....these models do look really nice and highly detailed.

I couldn't see it listed anywhere in the pdf or this forum post maybe I'm blinded by the beautiful art? Are these low poly?

13. marincastefan

marincastefan

Huh, I knew I forgot something, thanks for pointing it out.

The most complex assets are the large trees (under 2k tris) and the Windmill (2.5k tris).
    For the rest of the assets, a house is about 700 tris, a fully upgraded tower + a max level weapon is just over 1k tris.

A lot of the props have very low tri count, between the 100-400 mark.

Hope this helps, until you can see for yourself. ;)

14. Acissathar

Acissathar

Yay! And to think I almost guessed 7.

Thanks for answering the questions and the voucher. I'm a huge lover of hand painted stuff, and I think this pack looks great.

15. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Beautiful asset

16. marincastefan

marincastefan

So, the package has passed the reviewing process, you can find it here:
    Asset Store Link

Also, if you know somebody who might be interested in it, share the love with them :)

orb likes this.
  17. marincastefan

marincastefan

Just a short update, we've been featured by the Asset Store staff on the #New on Asset Store page. Yey :)

Acissathar and orb like this.
  18. ddengster

ddengster

Hi, is there any chance of breaking up the package into various categories (buildings/vegetation) and selling them at a lower price?

19. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hello, right now we're focusing on a winter update for the package, but after it's release we might break it up in two smaller packages. That depends, though, if other people express an interest in it.

Out of curiosity, which part of the pack is of interest to you?

20. ddengster

ddengster

the buildings, particularly the shop-like ones

21. marincastefan

marincastefan

We're closing on splitting the package in two smaller ones, one with the village buildings (basically a complete RTS soution) and the other with the Tower Defense buildings.

The Village part should be submitted today or tomorrow.

I'll post a reply here when they're live, hopefully next week or so.

22. tomraegan

tomraegan

Hi there.

I've been saving to buy your asset for some time, and saw your most recent post regarding a split asset. I've been waiting to see it on the asset store each day, but it's still not appearing.

I'll certainly be buying your asset. It's very good. It may not have had the sales you were after, but it will turn around in time. I can't you how may times I've watched the trailer or looked at the asset list. More than 10.

I was wondering if the current (village + tower) asset will remain on the store, or will it be replaced by two separate asset packs?

23. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Really nice looking set!

24. marincastefan

marincastefan

Wow, thanks for the very nice words, it means a lot.
    The current package will remain on the store, for at least another month.

The new packages should be live in a few days hopefully, I'll post a reply here as soon as they are.

25. marincastefan

marincastefan

26. tomraegan

tomraegan

Purchased.

I will be buying the towers as well.

Downloading as we speak.

27. marincastefan

marincastefan

Th
    Thanks
    The towers will take a little longer because I'll be adding some content to the package.

28. R1PFake

R1PFake

I have a few questions:
    Could this also be used for a first person view (im thinking about a rts game where you can control a unit and change to first person view with the unit) or is the texture not high enough for a close first person look?

Are the projectile objects for the towers in the pack?

Will the be other styles for example winter?

29. marincastefan

marincastefan

Hi there!

There are projectiles in the package, crystals, arrows and spears. Unfortunately, until the next update, there isn't a cannonball in it. But we'll get to doing that for the next update.

A winter version for the textures is in progress right now, there were some delays with it, we wanted to launch it before the winter, but we had an unusual work load and we couldn't finish it before December.

If you're a Unity PRO user, I suggest waiting until January to buy the package, because it will be featured in the Level 11 section, for a 25% price reduction.

As for the texture quality, I can't really answer that question unless you give me more information on what are your target platforms and expectations. But I've come prepared with some screenshots to help you decide better. :)
    Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 1.59.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 2.00.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 2.11.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 2.12.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 2.09.24 PM.png

30. R1PFake

R1PFake

Hey,
    thanks for the infos sounds good.

I want to make a game for pc with vr support for vive/rift, in my opinion handpainted asset look better in the current vr generaten instead of realistic looking environment (just my opinion of course), i like the style of your pack, im a just a hobby dev and i have absolutly no skills for 3d models, just programming because that's my day time job, but not as a game dev, unity is only a hobby currently :( I want to make my first real game (I already have unity experience, because i made smaller "test" projects but never released a game so far)
    I already bought many character packs and im looking for a environment set for a open world rpg with rts elements, so the player will be able to watch from above but also a closer look with first person mode, from the screenshot it looks like it should work for first person (did you use image effects for the screenshots?)
    And it looks like there would be enough elements to make a nice open world with different village areas and forest areas in this pack

I currently don't have pro, i would have to buy it for the normal price, but thanks for the tip :D Will the price stay or will the price increase with the next winter update?

31. marincastefan

marincastefan

The price will stay the same for the life of the package, so no increases (maybe some promotions in the future, but that's up to Unity).

The screenshots had some bloom, and they were taken during play mode, so particles and glows were visible here and there.
    Here's one taken from the scene viewport.
    Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 9.44.37 PM.png

R1PFake likes this.
  32. R1PFake

R1PFake

Thanks again, added it to my wish list and will most likely buy/use it for my project when im done with prototyping the basic gameplay stuff ;)

33. R1PFake

R1PFake

I have a new question, is it possible to change the color? For example of the buildings?

34. marincastefan

marincastefan

The textures were made by a collaborator and he sent us layered .tif files. So you could edit individual layers for colors and such, but there are maybe hundreds of layers in each atlas, so it would be a process.

If you're looking for quick changes and small adjustments, then it's easy, but if you want to change details like bricks and individual wood planks, then that would prove more difficult, since most of the small pieces are merged together with the larger areas. Let me know if that helps.

35. R1PFake

R1PFake

Hello again, thanks for the answer. I think i worded my question a little wrong, i wanted to ask if there a (premade) buildings with different colors, in the screenshots the buildings have a blue roof, are there also buildings with a different roof color, for example red?

36. marincastefan

marincastefan

The smaller buildings, like houses and blacksmith, have the same roof color (blue), the Town Hall has some red painted parts, and the military buildings like Barracks and Archery Range have a brown color on their roof (unpainted wood).

But there's only one color palette, there are no color variations in this version of the package. I'm afraid you'd have to do it yourself, if you want more roof color options. But that's a good idea, to add more color palettes to a next update.

R1PFake likes this.
  37. sysmaya

sysmaya

Beautiful medieval village. I love the Toon style.
    I bought it, and I'm implementing it in a game where the player builds his village on a grid.
    Congratulations to the author of the package.

38. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks for your purchase!

I like what I'm seeing in the screenshots and I'd love to see some updates on it, it look very interesting.

Best of luck!

39. Rubakai

Rubakai

Hey,

The package looks great! Looking to purchase but more for a mobile title. How resource hungry would you say this? Is it suitable for a mobile app?

40. R1PFake

R1PFake

Any news about the winter update?

41. marincastefan

marincastefan

Good timing with the question, we should submit the update this weekend, or at the latest next week.
    Although, lately the submission process seems to take much longer than it used to. Our last two packages each took about 20+ days to be reviewed.

I'll post here again when it's submitted, but it probably take a little longer for the update to reach you :)

42. marincastefan

marincastefan

Here are some screenshots of the update. Right now it's in review.

Attached Files:

• 23.png
      23.png
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 24.png
      24.png
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 25.png
      25.png
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 26.png
      26.png
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 27.png
      27.png
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    Acissathar likes this.
  43. R1PFake

R1PFake

Looks good! Still on my wishlist, i hope that i get some free time soon to continue my hobby project far enough to buy and integrate this pack :D

44. diegolopezbugna

diegolopezbugna

Hi, I love your asset pack, it looks great. I'm making a tower defense game. I was wondering if you could point me a characters/enemys/units pack that will match with this asset. Thanks! Great work!

45. marincastefan

marincastefan

Thanks!
    I saw this publisher's items some time ago and I thought they'd go well with this fantasy environment.
    There are some free samples there, so you can try before you buy.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=publisher:17894

46. sysmaya

sysmaya

47. marincastefan

marincastefan

I certainly like how the game turned out.
    However, have you tried to improve the performance on mobile devices? It seems from the video that it's a bit laggy and maybe some baked shadows and other tweaks could do the trick.

Still, it looks really cute, and I like how you made the rectangular structures, look very tidy :)