Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ez Screenshot

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by betovena, Feb 21, 2019.

1. betovena

betovena

[ EDITED V 2.7.9 ]
    Ez screenshot is the perfect tool to take screenshots of your game to use on the stores, share on social media, stores and much more!

More than just take screenshots, Ez Screenshot has a bunch of customizations to improve the quality of the image. Add a nice gradient background, set the shadow behind the image or even place the image inside a mockup and see how the game may look like on a specific device.

The screenshots will be ready to be shared with customers, followers and clients, so it’s perfect to be used as a marketing solution.

Ez Screenshot runs directly in Editor and is available on all platforms.

Available Mockups:
    - Computers:

- Apple iMac;
    - Apple iMac Pro;
    - Apple MacBook;
    - Apple MacBook Pro;
    - Dell XPS 13;
    - Dell XPS 15.
    - Consoles:
    - Nintendo Switch.
    - Displays:
    - Apple Thunderbolt;
    - Dell UltraSharp HD;
    - Smartphones:
    - Apple iPhone 8;
    - Apple iPhone XR;
    - Apple iPhone XS;
    - Google Pixel 3;
    - Google Pixel 3 XL;
    - Huawei Nova 4;
    - LG V40;
    - OnePlus 6T;
    - Samsung Galaxy Fold;
    - Samsung Galaxy S9;
    - Samsung Galaxy S10;
    - Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus.
    - Tablets:
    - Apple iPad Pro.
    - Watches:
    - Apple Watch Series 1;
    - Apple Watch Series 2;
    - Apple Watch Series 4;
    - Motorola Moto 360 42mm;
    - Motorola Moto 360 46mm.

New mockups are being added constantly.

Documentation

Important: Screen elements that are inside a canvas configured as Screen Space Overlay may not appear on the screenshot.

Available at:
    http://bit.ly/2DmbyqW

Version 2.7.9

Fixes:

- Take Screenshot: Did some improvements to prevent the system to use more memory than necessary.

Examples:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. betovena

betovena

Version 2.4

New:

- A new texture creation method to improve quality.
    - Code improvements.

Fix:

- Ez screenshot window was crashing when leaving play mode.
    - Wrong color combination while taking the screenshot with mockup enabled with a gradient background.
    - Gradient colors were been distributed wrong on the texture.
    - The same mockups were been downloaded multiple times.
    - Losing saved data when closing Unity.

3. betovena

betovena

We are working on the shadow option of Ez Screenshot and it's getting pretty good!

Attached Files:

4. betovena

betovena

We have been working pretty hard to insert the shadow option and improve the quality of it, and the result is a pretty shadow with blur supported natively by Ez Screenshot!

Attached Files:

5. betovena

betovena

Version 2.5

New:

- Added the shadow option.

Fix:

- Improved the Resolution configuration.
    - Improved the texture scaler code.
    - Improved the texture combination code.

6. betovena

betovena

Version 2.6

New:

- More mockup brands.
    - Soft shadows.

Fix:

- Improved the render quality.
    - Improved the texture scaler.
    - Improved the texture combination.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  7. betovena

betovena

Version 2.6.1

Fixes
    - Fixed a bug that occurred when mockup was enabled on Unity version 2018.3

8. betovena

betovena

I just finished the new version of Ez Screenshot, just need to review some scripts before send it to the asset store. I just want to share the new screenshots possibilites:

9. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7

New:

- New interface to improve the work flow.
    - Added templates. Now it's possible to work with multiple configurations.
    - Two new background types.
    - New Nintendo Switch mockup.
    - Work with background colors are easier.
    - The list of cameras has a better looking that improves to work with it.

Fix:
    - Fixed some layout errors.

10. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.1

How to preserve our templates:
    - Copy the data folder that is located at SMG/ Ez Screenshot/ Editor on another location.
    - Import the update and then overwrite the data folder with the one that contais your templates.

New Mockups:
    - iPad Pro;
    - MacBook;
    - MacBook Pro;
    - Apple Watch Series 4;
    - iMac Pro

11. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.2

- Copy the data folder that is located at SMG/ Ez Screenshot/ Editor on another location.
    - Import the update and then overwrite the data folder with the one that contais your templates.

Features:

- Shadows: New shadow algorithm.
    - Mockups: New Galaxy Fold Closed.
    - Mockups: New Galaxy Fold Opened.

Fixes:

- Shadows: Shadows do not get strange when using it with certain specifics mockups.

12. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.3

Features:
    - Layout: Take Screenshot region is fixed on the bottom of the window.
    - Layout: Additional links were moved inside Window/Ez Screenshot.
    - Mockups: New Apple iMac mockup.
    - Mockups: New Dell XPS 13 mockup.
    - Mockups: New Dell XPS 15 mockup.
    - Mockup: New name organization.

Fixes:
    - Shadow: Fixed the shadow direction offset. Now the shadow will preserve the offset on all sizes.

13. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.4

Features:
    - Mockup: New Google Pixel 3 colors.
    - Mockup: New Google Pixel 3 XL colors.

Fixes:
    - Editor: Ez Screenshot window was crashing the Unity when opening a project.
    - Mockup: Fixed Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL colors names.
    - Take Screenshot: Fixed a layout group error that appears when taking a screenshot.

14. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.5

Features:
    - Mockup: New Motorola Moto 360 46mm mockup;
    - Mockup: New Motorola Moto 360 42mm mockup;

Fixes:

- Layout Group: Fixed some layout exceptions that could appear when downloading the mockup texture.

15. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.6

Features:
    - Mockup: Added Display as a new mockup category.
    - Mockup: New Apple Thunderbolt mockup.
    - Mockup: New Dell UltraSharp mockup.

16. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.7

Features:
    - Mockup: Added 36 new Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 mockups.

17. Mintonne

Mintonne

Hey,

Just trying out EZ screenshot and there are so many bugs - some are even fatal.

I am using Unity 2019.1.4f1 (Stable version released on 24 May, 2019)

Bugs
    • If you delete/rename the folder, the editor will freeze. You should check if the folder exists before proceeding.

upload_2019-6-11_22-21-11.png
    • Sometimes when I try to select a camera, the editor crashes. (I think it is happens when you change the scene while the editor is open)
    upload_2019-6-11_22-24-38.png
    • Memory leaks every time you take a screenshot. I have noticed the Unity Editor process adds around 200 MBs every time I take a screenshot. (Width is set to 4096)
    Before
    upload_2019-6-11_22-26-4.png

While Taking A Screenshot (Maximum Recorded)

upload_2019-6-11_22-26-42.png

After

upload_2019-6-11_22-26-53.png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  18. Mintonne

Mintonne

If you take an adequate amount of screenshot without restarting the editor, you will crash your PC.

upload_2019-6-11_22-32-21.jpeg

The screen turned black for a while, then this dialog showed up before the PC blue screened and restarted.

GI cache is at 7kb so that isn't the issue.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  19. betovena

betovena

Hey! I'm sorry that you are facing some problems using my my asset and thank you to post them here to help me to improve the asset!

There's a lot to review so I can't give a solution to you right now, but I'm already into it and I'll come back to you as soon as possible.

Until then let me know if you find more BUGs.

Cheers!

20. jeffweber

jeffweber

Is there any way to take a screenshot using a keyboard shortcut key? My game uses the mouse for some movement so I can't easily setup the shot I want in-game and press the Take Screenshot key.

21. betovena

betovena

Unfortunately there's no shortcut to take the screenshot, but it's a good ideia and I'll implement as soon as I correct the bugs that Mintonne bring to me. Until then you could use ctrl+shift+p on windows or cmd+shift+p on mac to pause the game and take the screenshot.

Cheers!

22. betovena

betovena

Mintonne, please replace the scripts EzSS_EncodeSettings, EzSS_Window and EzSS_TakeScreenshot with the ones attached at this reply.

Now I just need to work on the memory leak problem and I'll get back to you when it's done.

Attached Files:

23. betovena

betovena

Jeffweber, since I did some changes to correct the bugs listed on previous posts I need you to update 4 scripts to implement the Take Screenshot shortcut. The scripts are EzSS_EncodeSettings, EzSS_FEEDBACKS, EzSS_TakeScreenshot and EzSS_Window.

Replace them with the ones attached to this post.

The shortcut to take the screenshot is ctrl+t on windows or cmd+t on mac

Cheers!

Attached Files:

jeffweber likes this.
  24. betovena

betovena

I'm working on it and the correction will be available on the new version of Ez Screenshot. It's important to know that I can improve my code, but Unity takes a lot of process to create the images on such a high resolution. On my computer I've never had any problems, could you tell me your computer specs?

25. Mintonne

Mintonne

• Intel 7700HQ
    • Nvidia 1070 Mobile
    • 16 GB RAM
    • Windows 10 Pro (1903)
    • Everything is running at stock settings (No overclocking)

Here is demo video showing the memory leak using a simple scene.

The project was idling at ~700 MBs. You can see it got to a point where it was idling at 2GB before going back to ~1.4 (GB)

The crash happened while I was trying to take some screenshots of a relatively large project while in play mode.

For simple scenes, you might get away with a memory leak but as soon as the project gets big and you try to take a few screenshots in playmode, you will run out of memory soon enough.

I recommend using one of the large free city assets to test it out.

26. betovena

betovena

Thanks.

Right now I'm sending a new version that corrects the problems that you mentioned before with little changes on the texture generation itself. Next week I'll take a good look at it to try to improve my code the best as I can, maybe a good solution is to work with upscaling to create textures that are too heavy to be created.

Cheers!

27. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.8

Features:

- Take Screenshot: Added a shortcut to take the screenshot that is cmd+t on mac or crtl+t on windows

Fixes:
    - Encode Settings: Added a checker to prevent the engine to crash when the save at location is deleted or changed.
    - Encode Settings: Added a checker to prevent the engine to crash when a different scene is loaded and the cameras inside the list are not the same.
    - Take Screenshot: Did a little optimization at the texture generation to prevent the engine to consume a lot of system memory. More work is being done to improve this even more.

Mintonne likes this.
  28. betovena

betovena

Version 2.7.9

Fixes:

- Take Screenshot: Did some improvements to prevent the system to use more memory than necessary.

29. Spierek

Spierek

@betovena: The asset is cool, but there are some things which are really missing from it in my opinion:
    • Right now it doesn't seem that there's an option to take the same screenshot at the same time using multiple templates? When creating screenshots for different stores it'd be handy to be able to capture the same image at multiple resolutions using a single button / shortcut, instead of having to manually switch templates.
    • Screen Space - Overlay UI is still not captured by the tool at all, which is a big issue for UI-heavy games. It's working fine in the Unity Recorder (which is missing some stuff that this tool has), so maybe looking at their code would help with this problem?
    • While being able to attach cameras to the Encode Settings is nice, I don't see why the tool couldn't simply default to the Main Camera on a given scene if there are no others set. It's a minor thing, but it'd help for first-time users.
    Other than that, good job :)

Gua likes this.
  30. betovena

betovena

I appreciate your feedback!

- I know that having a button to take several screenshots at once will be great, but I need to do some code modifications to prevent the engine to break.

- Screen Space Overlay is a must have and I'm working on it, I'm changing all the code to implement that and is planning to be release on the next update.

- I'll work on that camera feature as soon as possible!

Spierek likes this.
  31. Gua

Gua

Thanks for a great tool! Of course it needs to be able to capture UI. Also one suggestion, if it's possible, I would love to see option to not capture UI. It might be useful for some cases.

Another feature that would be useful is an option to capture scene view.

Another improvement that I would love to see is so that templates would be store in separate .asset. The would make creation of new templates simpler, when you need to create new template where only one parameter is different. For example right new I want to copy past my 1080p profiler to make 4k profile.

And it also will allow user to share templates between projects more easier, so there's no need to setup everything from scratch for new project.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  32. betovena

betovena

I appreciate the feedback!

To not capture the UI you must not include the cameras that renders the UI of your game.

Make the templates a separated .asset is a good idea, I'll include that on my to do list.

Cheers!

33. Gua

Gua

What if my I don't have seperate camera for UI and my main camera or my weapon camera renders it?

34. betovena

betovena

You can place those elements inside a layer and set the camera to not render the specific layer.

There's not much I can do about it because the camera returns the image of what is being rendered

35. Gua

Gua

Considering that current version doesn't canpure Screen Space Overlay UI, I thought you can distinguish between Screen Space Overlay UI and everything else.

36. betovena

betovena

The problem with Screen Space Overlay is that all the elements inside the canvas is being rendered after everything else, so when the screenshot is taken those elements do not appear.

37. Gua

Gua

I thought you can turned into a feature and give option to render/not render Screen Space Overlay UI. As I've said before. It would be useful since a lot of games don't feature UI in their steam screenshots. I know I can disable UI manually, but it would make capturing screenshot a bit harder. Cause if I disable UI, I for example wouldn't be able to see crosshair and make precise shots. If Ez Screenshot will implement this feature, then I could leave UI visible for me and just setup Ez Screenshot to not capture it.

38. betovena

betovena

I don't know if it's possible to differentiate the UI like you want. I'm using camera.render to capture the game view, https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera.Render.html

So, I don't have an easy workaround for you, and the easiest way I see is to put those UI that you don't want to show on a specific layer and tell the camera to not render the layer.

Another way you could it is to duplicate your camera and put the copy inside your main camera, and use the copy to render just the UI. Now the UI keeps visible for you and it'll not appear on the screenshot.

39. Gua

Gua

If it isn't possible, how current version manages to not capture it?

40. betovena

betovena

Everything that the camera is rendering will appear on the screenshot. We already discussed some workarounds to hide those elements.

41. Gua

Gua

But currently Screen Space - Overlay UI is not being captured. You've discussed it before. I guess what you mean is that as soon as you make all those changes to make it possible to capture UI, it will no longer be possible to distinguish between UI and everything else? Or too much work to support both methods, the current one that doesn't capture UI and newone that does?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  42. betovena

betovena

Screen Space - Overlay is not being captured because the render occur after the screenshot, it's like Update and LateUpdate. The Take Screenshot method occur inside the Update and the render of Screen Space - Overlay occur inside LateUpdate.

I do not have control on that... I need to work on it to enable the Take Screenshot to capture all the canvas options, and I can't check if an object that is being rendered by a specific camera is inside a Screen Space - Overlay or Screen Space - Camera, because all I do is to get the camera.render and turn it into a texture2d.

43. OwlTheoryMusic

OwlTheoryMusic

Love it! I've been searching for something like this.

44. ADNCG

ADNCG

Running into an issue. My game has one camera with a bunch of canvases tied to it in screen space - Camera.

It seems that elements drawn behind UI elements that aren't fully opaque are affected somehow and some transparency is applied to them. I want to say that the more layers, the bigger the impact?

Added a green background to make it obvious. The screenshot should be fully opaque, like on the left. The white bars around the center are semi-transparent in game and they're overlaying opaque stuff.
    ewfew.png

45. Spierek

Spierek

Recently noticed the same issue that @AntoineDesbiens mentions - screenshots from the tool get some weird transparency from UI elements (which is a bit of a bummer, since App Store doesn't accept screens with alpha, requiring me to add some kind of background to them manually in Photoshop).

46. muhammadadnan0075

muhammadadnan0075

Phone_10 (2).png Hi, I'm running into an issue. As you can see in the picture the foliage of the tress turned out to be transparent and this only happens when there is no opaque object behind them. I've used this asset for sometimes and if i remember the older versions didn't have this problem. Can you please share a fix? We're close to the deadline.

47. Gua

Gua

Is scene a way to select scene view/camera?