Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, thanks for your report. I will investigate the issue with light shafts in single pass rendering. What Unity version do you use right now?

About Aura 2:
    You may need to make night time ambient lighting darker if you use "Flat" or "Trilight" ambient mode in your Enviro Instance -> Edit Profile -> Lighting settings. Please check the ambient color gradients there and make left half darker.

2. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, thanks for your report! I will investigate that issue too.

3. Custard1

Custard1

Thanks for this insanely quick reply. I am using 2018.3.5 with the latest version of Enviro.

4. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, I have send you a package with a hotfix for your ligth shafts issue.

5. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, unfortunaly I could not reproduce that issue on my side. We may need to connect in skype or discord for some debugging and communication. Please send me a private message with your contact information.

6. PawelFJ

PawelFJ

There seems to be an issue with rain and snow going through the building in my scene. What could be the culprit? I tried adding colliders.

7. Vondox

Vondox

8. amynox

amynox

Hi,
    Thank you for keeping this great asset uptodate !

I have some trouble making the cloud cast shadow on my terrain. I tried to set Shadow intensity to 1 but nothing happens (even when setting this on the sample scene cloud dont cast any shadow on the terrain).

I'm working on a top-Down game so any advice to take full advantage of enviro will be more than welcome.

Any help on this please ?

Unity 2019.1.11 | Enviro v 2.1.5

9. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, unfortunaly I could not reproduce that issue. Just to make sure: Do you have set the "Clouds Shadow Intensity" over the Enviro Sky Inspector or do you set that in profile directly? You need to set those values in inspector or load the changed profile otherwise you changes won't be applied.

10. theonerm2_unity

theonerm2_unity

Hey. I want to buy this asset for my computer games that I want to make but I'm a little bit confused as to whether or not to get the lite version or the regular version. I don't know the differences between the versions. What makes the lite version be $30 cheaper? Is it massively cut down or is it only missing a few features I might not need anyway?

11. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, the standard version got a few more features like volume clouds, distance blur, volume lighting, an advanced skybox shader and so on. If you target PC or consoles the standard version would be the more powerfull, for mobiles where you may not use some of the advanced visual feature to save performance you should go with lite version.

Btw. you also can buy the lite version and upgrade to standard later without spending more money.

12. theonerm2_unity

theonerm2_unity

ok Thanks. I'm going to get the standard version. It seems to suit my needs more. I want all the features you mentioned.

13. gecko

gecko

We finally updated to the latest version, mainly to get the new feature that freezes sun-shadow movement when the sun is at the horizon, since those looooong shadows really hurt performance during the day-night cycle. But....where is that setting? Is that "Stop Rotation at High"? If so, how does the slider work? Not quite understanding it.

thanks!

14. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, yeah that is the option. The value is same as the evaluation value for the gradients and curves. (Please try a value between 0.6 - 0.7.) I also will fix those names in next update..

gecko likes this.
  15. gecko

gecko

Thanks. Yeah, that works, but the shadows remain longer after sunset than I'd like. What does that value mean? (Sorry, not sure what the evaluation value for gradients and curves is either.) Do I make it smaller if I want normal shadows to resume sooner?

EDIT: Never mind that....but more explanation on what that value means would be very helpful, thanks!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  16. gecko

gecko

Another question: When using Enviro Lite, there's no fog at all, even if I enable Use Unity Fog or Simple Fog. Do I need to do something else to get those to work? (And how expensive is either fog on intel integrated hardware?)

Also: The moon is quite large in Enviro Lite, and I don't see an option to change the size like ther is in Standard. Any way to do that?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  17. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, oh sorry. Did you find a value that works for you?

So the value expresses the altitude of sun or moon (which current active) in sky. If the sun or moon is lower than this the rotation will stop until the sun or moon reaches the altitude again. So for 0.5 the light will be at horizon, higher value when light is above and lower values when light is below.

Hm please note that the Unit Fog only works in forward rendering. Maybe also check if fog is activated in your Unity lighting settings. Simple fog is an image effects, maybe check if the enviro component is active on your camera.
    You also could use the Unity deferred fog option in PP if you are limited to deferred rendering.

Unfortunaly I can't tell for sure what will run faster on an integrated graphics card, as I never tested this. I would think that Unity forward fog is a little bit faster.

18. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the explanation--I mostly figured that out, but very helpful to have. For Fog in Lite: We are using Forward when using Enviro Lite, but I think the problem is simply that the fog (using Unity Fog) is too faint. If I adjust the Fog Density on the Unity Lighting inspector, then I can make the fog quite visible....but I guess using the values from the Enviro weather presets, they don't quite make it dense enough. Does that make sense? I guess I can make another set of weather presets for Enviro Lite, but would rather not. Is there an easier way to globally increase density for Enviro > Unity Fog?

Also: The moon is quite large in Enviro Lite, and I don't see an option to change the size like there is in Standard. Any way to do that?

19. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, we can do that easily in code. I will contact you in skype. Oh and about moon in lite version: Please check your Enviro Sky Lite Instance childs. There is the moon object, just scale the transform there to change the moon scaling.

gecko likes this.
  20. Yurei-Games

Yurei-Games

Hi, Enviro is a brilliant asset, I love it, but I am having similar problems to a few other people and was unable to find the solution.
    I am finding that:
    • The lightning during storm works
    • Light / Heavy rain and Snow prefabs all work when opened in isolation
    • I had rain working at runtime, not sure how and I am not sure why it stopped either.

I have deleted everything and reimported several time and that hasn't fixed it.
      I have tried to look at every setting taking the time to figure it out myself, but I have failed to do so.

Any chance you can guide me to resolving this problem?

Thanks

21. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, so you don't see weather particle effects in runtime?

Please check what "Player" transform you added. Try to set this to your main camera.

When you now go into play mode in editor change weather to "Heavy Rain" and check the "Enviro Effects" object.
    That one should be at the same position as your camera.
    Please check the "VFX" child -> "Heavy Rain" -> "Medium Rain HQ" particle effect. Do you see effect playing in your scene view? Is it at right position around your camera? If you see it playing at right spot, you maybe need to check if there is something wrong with your camera culling layers.

upload_2019-8-5_22-23-36.png

22. Yurei-Games

Yurei-Games

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.
    - Player transform has always been the main camera.
    - When I manually change the weather, it works fine, but
    - Normally I neither see the particles in scene view nor Game view when I play, despite hearing the thunder
    - I DO NOT see the effect playing when I check VFX child.

Thanks again for the help

23. Vondox

Vondox

Okay, we may need to dig a bit deeper. Please send me a private message with your discord or skype username for better communication. Maybe we can meet for some screenshare and have a look whats going wrong here.

24. Yurei-Games

Yurei-Games

I keep getting an error when trying to send you a private message.
    If there specific screenshots that you would like to look at?

Otherwise, I will just risk posting my discord name here and hope for the best

25. Vondox

Vondox

I have sent you a private message with my discord username.

26. Krytecks

Krytecks

Hello, i have a little question about volume lightning in enviro, im using crest ocean for my water and it seems that volume lightning is not working on it :
    What can i do ?
    Thanks for your help !

EDIT : another screenshot

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  27. PatHightreeXVR

PatHightreeXVR

Hi there, what is the accuracy of the stars in the night sky ?
    Are they simulated accurately or is it a cosmetic effect ?
    Could they be used to navigate by, if the geo location and time/date are set correctly ?

28. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, yeah we need to add enviro fog and volume light calculations to Crest shader. I will have a look into this.

mmaclaurin likes this.
  29. Krytecks

Krytecks

Thanks ! :D

30. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, the night sky will be rotated correctly based on the calculated sidereal time.

http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/comp/ppcomp.html#5b

But you may want your own stars cubemap to better stand out the needed constellations and stars for gameplay navigation.

31. BrandStone

BrandStone

Hello, Is there a way to change tree variation with seasons? Some of them would need snow cover while others should lose their leaves completely.

32. wayego

wayego

Hey, love Enviro, but its current version 2.1.5 is breaking my GPU global occlusion solution (GDOC on asset store)

This only happens when I use EnviroSkyStandard. The Lite version works just fine. Does anyone have any idea what's in the standard version that isn't in the lite version which could be interferring and causing it to break?

Also where can I get older versions of Enviro to try it out with?

Thanks!

33. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello wayego,

I am using both enviro and GDOC and I have found no problems yet, I was using Unity 2018 before now using 2019.2.
    Does it only happen when you get few FPS?

34. wayego

wayego

Thanks for your reply, that is so wierd, because I tried to recreate the same issue in GDOCs demo scene with the same result.

And again in a fresh scene where I tried every asset 1 by 1 in my project until GDOC broke and it did when I added Enviro.

I am however using Unity 2018.4 (LTS)

I only get low FPS (sub 10) when GDOC does its scan in the beginning otherwise I'm constantly at minimum 50 with a 2080ti in my system

35. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, sorry not built-in. Do you use the Unity terrain for vegetation rendering or an third party asset?

36. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, sorry I never used GDOC yet. Does it come with a camera component? Please try to deactivate the EnviroSkyRendering component on your camera, does it fix the issue?

37. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, I created a short guide to modify crest ocean shader for enviro fog and voume lighting. It's quite easy and fast done. :)

Attached Files:

38. jashan

jashan

The original question was about "but I just need to see the clouds over the very high sky from the camera,no need to touch the clouds."

How about actual fly through? This is for a VR project, and we have two environments in the clouds. We could probably get away with an area around the player without the clouds - players don't absolutely have to "touch" the clouds. But actual fly-through would make this much easier / safer.

Also, in one of the levels, the idea is to have really dark clouds, like being in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Do you have a very rough estimate of when this might work? Like, weeks, months, half a year, a year, or more than a year?

39. Krytecks

Krytecks

It's perfect ! Thank you ! :D

40. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, I already started to work on this. But it needs some more changes than I initially thought, so I can't give you an exact eta yet. But it won't be months for sure.

jashan likes this.
  41. jashan

jashan

Sounds great, thank you for the update and working on this!

42. wayego

wayego

Yes, this worked! But the sky stops working

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  43. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, yeah of course, but now we know that it's related with enviro post processing. Is there any GDOC component on that camera? You maybe can try to change the order of effects for example. Otherwise contact me with private message and send me your skype or discord username and we can have a detailed look.

@Firlefanz73 Do you have disabled any enviro effect?

44. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Because of different Problems not GDoc I have turned Enviro Globals reflections off.
    I attached GDoc to my main camera, the Enviro Directional light is set as the GDoc Directional light, my Player is set as the Player. In enviro, this is the same Player object.

I have even set the GDoc accuracy to 100% and it works fine. I have no Problems using Enviro and GDoc together...

Vondox likes this.
  45. swredcam

swredcam

With a clipping plane of 1000 and a view that looks out over open ocean, I am not getting cloud cover at the horizon. Is there some trick I can use to provide clouds that are within my view range but look like they are low on the horizon? I'm very happy with the way the clouds look above, I just need something to cover my sea/sky junction.

46. behemothdan

behemothdan

Quick question! Love the asset, it's doing great work. I noticed that it creates a "Main Camera" under the "Enviro Effects" folder for some reason and I haven't been able to figure out why. I have a camera dynamically created to my player object and all is well in that part. But this new camera is causing the "There is 2 audio listeners in the scene" warning forever and ever and would like to prevent it. Thanks!

47. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, what version of enviro do you use? (Lite or Standard)

48. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, that really should not happen. Can you please check where that "Main Camera" will be instantiated exactly?. Maybe you added it to one of the weather particle effects prefabs, SFX Holder prefab or lightning strike effect by accident?

49. eblumrich

eblumrich

Been trying to get EnviroSky to work for two days.

Hey- any idea why EnviroSkyUpdate is now taking up twice as much resources as rendering?

https://imgur.com/a/zhGc0cd

It probably has something to do with this persistent error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EnviroSky.Init () (at Assets/Enviro - Sky and Weather/Enviro Standard/Scripts/EnviroSky.cs:429)
    EnviroSky.Update () (at Assets/Enviro - Sky and Weather/Enviro Standard/Scripts/EnviroSky.cs:716)

Please assist.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  50. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, yeah it's related to the error spam. Can you please check if Global Reflection Probe is assigned in Enviro Sky Instance -> Components section? Please assign the one that is child of Enviro Sky Standard object or try to disable and enable the EnviroSky component.

But normaly it should do that by itself automaticly. So maybe try to delete enviro folder and reimport fresh. Also delete enviro from your scene and try to resetup. Sounds like something is screwed up here. :(