Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. whydoisay

whydoisay

Hi @Vondox, I finally got the latest version of Enviro Sky working. While I am up and running, I am having a strange problem. My project is a VR project and I am using Oculus Rift. I am using Unity 2018.4.1f1 and Enviro Sky 2.1.4. I am using the Enviro Profile Standard VR which I modified a bit. So the problem I am having (which I see both in the headset and on the monitor) is when it is cloudy, I move my physical head in the real world wearing the headset left and right and there is a dark layer that moves along with my head movements. I'm not sure if it's shadows or some fog layer or what, but it is similar to the billboarding problem in VR where when you look at a 2D tree or a sign or something and that object turns with your head as you turn your head back and forth. I made a video of it. Sorry the framerate gets kind of low here and there in the video, that is OBS capturing the video strangely. There are no framerate issues when I am watching it on the monitor or in my headset.

Any idea how to fix this? I've attached my profile.

Attached Files:

2. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, sounds like that you into reprojection. Please make sure when testing in editor to maximize the game view. As you don't want the editor interface messing up your frametimes. But I also forgot to re-configure the VR presets for the new clouds settings. That could result in poor performance too. Please import the updates ones that I attached.
    Please contact me in private message if you still running in those reprojection issues, as we may have to profile your scene to find the reason.

Attached Files:

3. whydoisay

whydoisay

Hi @Vondox, it's not reprojection. That video wasn't in the editor; that was a build. The performance is fine, it just looks bad because the OBS capture software dropped frames during capture. On the monitor or in the headset the framerate is steady.

I imported those presets, but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Maybe it's something rendering wrong or the draw distance is too short or something? I tried upping it so the clipping planes were near 0.1 and far 4000 (up from 2048 originally) but it didn't seem to help. I will private message you.

4. JasonMann

JasonMann

Hello @Vondox

First off, I want to say that I'm very impressed with this Asset. It's extremely beautiful and customizable and I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

However I do have a question in regard to the "Export to HDR Cubemap" feature advertised on the main page. I really don't know how to do that. Is there a built in solution? I couldn't find anything in the documentation, did I miss something?

If you could tell me how I do this or point me to some article explaining the process (if it's just a general unity feature I need to learn for this) it would be a huge help!

5. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, please check the Enviro Sky Manager -> "Utilities" section at the bottom. Prepare your sky by tweaking the settings in your enviro sky instance. Also use the highest quality clouds setting: "Baking". After that just click on "Bake To Cubemap" and choose your destination folder. One note: Currently it could bake one cubemap face wrong on rare occasions. I am investigating that issue at the moment. Just try again if it happens to you. I will release a fix for that soon.

6. JasonMann

JasonMann

Wow, I was blind. Thank you for the quick reply. I got the bug you were writing about the first time but after that it worked perfectly. Thanks again! :)

Vondox likes this.
  7. pierre92nicot

pierre92nicot

I have the same issue, also in VR (HTC Vive).

8. mgmhunt

mgmhunt

I think it is related to low resolution volumetric lighting. Please try to increase the resolution in volumetric lighting category. - Nope didn't make any difference. I've just added a small gap between the mesh and the terrain for the meantime.

Do you already tried to reduce the "Maximum Fog Intensity" in your enviro sky fog settings. That one should help to get your distant fog not so thick, but your foreground fog being untouched. - Yep tried every combo. It's seems because the distance fog is additive so the noise/amount/level of fog gets compounded over distance and therefore everything in distance goes up to '1' and then reducing maximum density just reduces this 1 down to 0 in a linear way. Ideally there'd be an option where the density wouldn't compound over distance so much, the cloudy effect would remain over distance rather than adding up.

I think we really should consider to jump into skype or discord for better communication and save us both some time. - Yep I'll leave it at that. There are a few issues brought up that you've mentioned you will change (ie including the seam running across landscape/manual positioning of sun etc), and perhaps over next few weeks you'll have time to consider some extra settings/tweaks to the distance fog. Other than that all good, I'll just wait until next version comes out and give that a test later.

Vondox likes this.
  9. will_catkins

will_catkins

Hi,I see the none fly-throughs notice,but I just need to see the clouds over the very high sky from the camera,no need to touch the clouds.

How can I do this?Thank you very much!!!

10. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, I may have a hotfix for these issues. I will send you a package now and please tell me if it working for you. Thanks!

pierre92nicot likes this.
  11. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, you will be able to do this in 2.2 update, I am currently working on. But I need some more time, so estimated release in about two weeks.

12. schildawg

schildawg

On the latest release, I am getting a very brief flash of neon in my scene when I start the game. After the initial flash everything works completely properly. This happens randomly. Maybe one out of every 3 - 4 starts. I reverted my project back to the previous version and it went away. Then I added the latest version again and it started happening again.

enviro.PNG

13. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, please deactivate the "Global Reflection Custom Rendering" option in Enviro Sky -> Edit Profile -> Reflection category. I also will release a fix for the custom rendering next week.

14. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

Hi, hopefully a quick question...

Is it possible to render the moon in front of the moon haze ?
    Just it seems that the haze renders on top of the moon at the moment which can wash out the moons texture detail.

Thanks

15. schildawg

schildawg

Thanks! That does the trick. BTW, I really like the way the new release looks. I don't know what you did, but the sky looks so much more crisp than before. And that's saying a lot because it looked so good before!

Vondox likes this.
  16. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, do you mean volume lighting or moon glow by "moon haze"? The moon glow already renders before the actual moon. The volume lighting after the moon as it is a post effect.

17. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

I was meaning moon glow. If it already renders before the actual moon then it must be some other effect that is brightening up the moon... I’ll check it out in more detail. Maybe it’s the bloom effect... thanks for your hints

18. Vondox

Vondox

Ah okay, as it adds the moon texture on top of the glow the glow still will brighten up the moon image a little bit. But I can send you a modified shader that will mask the glow where the actual moon is. But I need to modify the alpha channel of the glow texture. I will contact you with a solution later.

FrozenEmpire likes this.
  19. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

Oh that would be cool. many thanks!

20. Glitch12

Glitch12

Can you put the object above the clouds

21. Vondox

Vondox

Hello,
    yeah currently you can use the "Satellites" feature to render objects in skybox above all clouds layers.
    Please setup a new layer in "Rendering Setup" -> "Satellites Layer".
    Create an empty prefab with just a transform component and assign this as "Satellite"- (Enviro Sky Instance -> Edit Profile -> "Satellites" category). That will enable the feature even you don't want a orbiting satellite.
    Now just place your objects and set them to the assigned "Satellites Layer" to be included.
    Maybe double check if your main camera won't render this layer, but it should do that automaticly in most cases.

Please tell me if you need more help as it is more like a workaround and maybe a bit confusing to setup first.

Glitch12 likes this.
  22. anunnaki2016

anunnaki2016

hi,

version 2.1.4 after dead, respawn player camera setup no have nothing anymore

can help me please @Vondox

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  23. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, sounds like that you are may destroying and re instantiate the camera and player when you respawn? If that is true you also have to re-assign the new player and camera references in enviro.

You can use EnviroSkyMgr.instance.AssignAndStart(GameObject player, Camera camera); for example after you respawned.

24. albertjames

albertjames

anyone managed to get enviro working with split screen ?

25. GossamerGames

GossamerGames

Hello, I am having issues with EnviroSky exclusively when running on Xbox One S. I am working in Unity version 2018.4.0f1 with Enviro sky version 2.0.2. I have included an image of the effects occurring on the system.

I will note that the effects on screen are permanently in screen space and the degree to how badly the screen is affected on scene load is random. Sometimes there is nothing wrong, sometimes the screen is black, sometimes it is just extremely patchy. For Reverence, I have added a picture of what it is supposed to look like as well.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Attached Files:

26. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, please assign your first player and camera in your Enviro Sky instance and add the "Enviro Additional Camera" component to your other player cameras.

albertjames likes this.
  27. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, hm that can be hard to debug as I don't have access to Xbox One S here. You are using a very old version of enviro. Is it possible to test latest enviro version in a fresh project? If you still getting these artifacts with latest version I would start with disabling enviro features and we maybe know what effect is working bad here.

28. schildawg

schildawg

I've noticed that for Unity trees the fog isn't being applied to the billboards, making them stand out in contrast with the distant scenery. I just ran a test on SpeedTrees and the distant billboards blend in perfectly.

Is there a setting that I am missing to get the fog to apply to billboards on Unity trees?

29. schildawg

schildawg

30. schildawg

schildawg

Speedtrees on the left and Unity trees on right.

31. Zyblade

Zyblade

dan_wipf likes this.
  32. dan_wipf

dan_wipf

yep! i’ve seen this :) but i do not hold a licence of wet stuff

33. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, please try the attached replacement shader. Just add it to your project.

Attached Files:

schildawg likes this.
  34. anunnaki2016

anunnaki2016

@Vondox Thanks, but i have other script more easy and is work 10000% just add in player

i can share my script ;)

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class debugMeteoEnv : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    8.     public EnviroSky debug;
    10.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    11.     void Start()
    12.     {
    14.         debug=FindObjectOfType<EnviroSky>();
    16.         debug.OnEnable();
    17.     }
    19.     // Update is called once per frame
    20.     void Update()
    21.     {
    23.     }
    24. }

35. schildawg

schildawg

I will try that out as soon as I get home! Thanks!

36. GossamerGames

GossamerGames

I can give that a try and get back to you, I actually misspoke and said we were on version 2.0.2, I was looking at the version file in the project folder. Looking at the profile, I can see we are using 2.0.5.

What is the most up-to-date version?

37. schildawg

schildawg

The billboard shader looks good. Thank you! Any chance you have any idea about the slight banding in the distance?

banding.PNG

38. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

Hi, I read above the moon lighting curve is based on height in the sky. Good to know.

Can you summarise the few other sun, moon light/glow curves and their left to right scaling with respect to time of the day.

I seem to spend a lot of time getting these settings right, and especially to avoid a sudden blip in scene colours as the sun goes down and the moon comes up..

I guess a solid understanding of how the various related curves are defined would be a good starting point for me

Many thanks

39. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Hello!

I was looking at enviro! Looks pretty cool!

I saw weather zones, I was looking other places as well. Is the weather zones can be setup like Skyrim or an open world game (snowing with snow on terrain/objects in a certain area, or raining same type of deal, or sunny but also seeing weather from different spots of the large world?

Thank you!

40. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, latest version is 2.1.4. Please note when updating from pre 2.1 you have to delete whole enviro folder and cleanup your scenes from enviro objects as a lot has changed.

The setup has changed too, please read through the "Getting Started" section in documentation that is included in Enviro - Sky and Weather folder.

41. Vondox

Vondox

Oh that is strange haven't seen that before. Do you only see those "bands" on the billboard trees?

42. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, only the curves that are directly associated to moon using the moon altitude. All other curves and gradient using the sun. You also can read the tooltips by hovering over the settings in non play mode. It should tell you if the curve/gradient is based on sun or moon altitude.

FrozenEmpire likes this.
  43. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, sorry that isn't possbile at the moment. Enviro can only display one weather at the time. If you enter such a weather zone the weather will change to the current weather type in that zone. So you can't see different weather types in distant.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  44. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

To be very clear, “Using the sun” means left hand side and right hand side are which times of day and night ?

45. Vondox

Vondox

Left side of curve is night, right side is day. Here a quick drawing: ;)

Enviro_CurveEvaluation.png

FrozenEmpire likes this.
  46. FrozenEmpire

FrozenEmpire

All clear! Many thanks

47. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Thank you!!

48. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hello, Probably easy answer but just purchased Enviro and all is good except this at night. I haven't searched for answer yet (which is probably easy) but any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Attached Files:

49. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Better Pic. :)

Attached Files:

50. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, please take a look into your current active weather preset (looks like "Clear Sky") and check the "Sky Fog" settings and your fog color gradient. Looks like they are to strong/bright here.

Left half of the gradient is for night. The alpha value will define the intensity of color modification.

upload_2019-6-22_0-24-44.png