Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

I kept searching the Unity docs and it showed me nothing. Thanks for the link.. and the 1.7 link. :)

TBH, I love the Skybox, maybe reserve it for screenshots and advanced options in-game. Trilight looks nice and for some reason, gives more FPS than Flat for me.. not that I'm complaining. I guess Flat is more suited for cartoon environments, cell shaded games like Borderlands.

Thanks.

2. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

@Vondox

Deleted my current Enviro from project and imported the one you sent me.

First of all, I find it strange that clouds don't dynamically form, they feel like a texture scrolling on top. Is there a setting that makes them move around like gas (like they used to before) instead of static images they seem to be?

Second, I had to lower the cloud quality to 5 from 15 (in old version) to pretty much get same FPS (44-45). In-fact, 10-15 now actually takes 5-6 FPS off in same areas, and the clouds still look like a scrolling cloud texture.

Third, when the sun is about the come up, whole terrain is shadow-less, but the moment sun reaches the peak (but the sun disc is not even visible when this happens, not even rays), suddenly all shadows pop up on terrain everywhere:

No shadows, flat terrain, no specular on water even:

Suddenly, whole terrain changes abruptly, including water surface, sun disc is not even visible yet.

Also, notice the clouds. Both screenshots were taken in interval of like 5 seconds. There is no movement in clouds, they just move like a static texture now.

Also, I somehow changed the sun flare (that disc around it) to some red texture, but can't remember how I did that and still trying to change it back to default.

3. Vondox

Vondox

Have you deleted the enviro prefab in your scene and used the new one?

For the clouds morphing you can set two speed values for each cloud layer to control morphing speed. Use vales with high difference to get strong morph effect. Take a look in "Enviro - Dynamic Environment" -> "Prefab" -> "Weather". There are all weather prefabs you want to modify.

clouds.png

To gain more performance set "clouds render quality" to "Low". You find it in "EnviroSky" component in "Clouds" section.

If you need more help setting up or improve perfroamnce send me a private message or add me on skype: vondox@live.de

4. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Not only did I delete the prefab, I deleted the whole Enviro folder for old version, imported the newer one.

When I first posted, I already set the Cloud Render quality to Low, and even Mesh Quality to 10 but I didn't see any FPS gain. In-fact I saw 1-2 FPS loss in same areas as before. Clouds look nicer than the last version so I'm guessing that's why there is a FPS difference.

Second, I can't see the sun disc. It's always surrounded by glow no matter how much I change its intensity (Tonemapping options just change the whole sky). It could be because of this strange red halo around the sun. I changed it somehow, there were texture options (for sun glow around the disc), but I can't seem to find that option anymore. Even then, sun disc seems to be always glowing too much by default.

Third, the problem with terrain textures/shadows being updated is still there (the one I posted in last comment). It looks awful when the terrain goes from A-B instantly. Maybe it's the new moon settings, the moon disc looks huge and pixelated.

Fourth problem, the Cloud speed. In 5 minute day, I had to set the speeds to 1000 & 1500 to see any proper cloud changes. I want the day to be 30 mins, so I set it to that but 1000/1500 makes the clouds scroll too fast for 30 minutes day. I wanted to keep the scrolling speed low while increase the speed of blending for clouds. So I can't have that, if I increase blend speed, clouds scroll fast, if I lower, I can barely notice a difference and clouds look static texture. It seem that there needs to be separate settings for blend and scroll for the required effect.

I'm going to delete the whole Enviro folder and prefab and re-import it now to see if that terrain lighting issue goes away. :(

EDIT: Nope, re-imported, set the stating hour to 5 as usual and the moment it goes to 6 the whole terrain changes texture abruptly from sort-of unlit to shadowed and being affected by sunlight.

On the plus side, that glow texture around the sun is gone, but the sun disc is STILL too bright and always has a glow around it. Is there no way to make the sun disc glow = 0?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  5. Vondox

Vondox

I can't reproduce your issues :/ It looks like there is something messed up in your scene. Maybe add me on skype for better communication :)

6. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Sorry don't use Skype, I'll just try a new scene (this is a test scene anyway), if it doesn't work, I'll go back to the older version from store. :\

7. Vondox

Vondox

Okay, no problem. You also maybe could try the enviro sample scene :)

Edit:
    I have tweaked the direct light graph now to have a smoother change between sun and moon light and not so suddenly you reported. Will upload 1.7.1 to store later. Thanks for your report :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    TalkieTalkie likes this.
  8. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Oh so it was the issue with the new version? :eek:

Then I'll wait for the update at store. Will it be updated today?

BTW, can you tell me how to change that halo texture around the sun? I still can't figure out how I did it lol.

9. Vondox

Vondox

I will upload and send in for review, can't say when it's online in store.

There really is no halo texture for sun in enviro from default :D Do you get this effect in enviro sample scene too?

10. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Nope, I added it myself. Just forgot how cause i was half-asleep while doing it. :p

11. Vondox

Vondox

Update 1.7.1 got released on store today :)

wmpunk and TalkieTalkie like this.
  12. wmpunk

wmpunk

Amazing new update!! I am super stoked! I've been having huge performance issues lately and was sadly considering having to move back to a plain old skybox.. but this update fixed things for me!

I do not believe the performance problems I was having to be a fault of Enviro though. What ever Unity has been doing lately for (performance increase) the last couple of updates has drastically made my frame-rate worse and sporadic. Sometimes I will play a scene and it will run at 20 fps..then Ill play it again (No profiler on or even changes to the scene) and it will run at 160. I't makes no sense. Builds run slower for me now too, before a build gave about 15-20% boost from the editor regardless of what size the viewport was and now it's a struggle to get my build to even match editor runs. I'ts become very frustrating. Before updating Unity, Enviro only dropped the game about 8-10 fps. After updating to Unity to 5.6 the gap became more like 20-180 depending on what I was looking at or just randomly performing worse or better. Thank you so much for this update! Now Everything looks twice as good and my performance has stabilized back to playable levels. Side note: Almost all my shaders and effects have been unstable since 5.6 and I'm running quite the powerful rig.

I also found a pretty big bug with this update, for me it seems that the sky camera keeps setting itself to defered on the scene start. It workes fine on forward but defered completely fubar's everything.

-

Vondox likes this.
  13. Vondox

Vondox

Happy to hear that :) I will test 5.6 in the next days and check if iI also get these sporadic fps drops.

You can easily change to other rendering path for sky camera. Open EnviroSky script and search for this line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cloudsCamera.renderingPath = RenderingPath.DeferredShading;
    Switch to "Forward" if you like but maybe also disable MSAA in quality settings or camera can't use HDR.

14. zmaxz

zmaxz

Hi~~
    My sky color is white and no star .
    and
    If i don`t import gaia ,i get those errors
    Assets/Enviro - Dynamic Enviroment/Scripts/Gaia Integration/EnviroWithGAIA.cs(99,24): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Utils' does not exist in the namespace `Gaia'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    Assets/Enviro - Dynamic Enviroment/Scripts/Gaia Integration/EnviroWithGAIA.cs(105,29): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Utils' does not exist in the namespace `Gaia'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Unity 5.6.0f3
    Enviro - Dynamic Environment
    Version: 1.7.1
    DE.jpg

15. wmpunk

wmpunk

Been testing things all day, I'm positive my fps problems have to do with Unity terrain and speed tree now. Never used to have a problem, I used to be able make a massive terrain and fill it with thousands of the standard asset trees. Now the simplest of things or slightest change or post effect can cause things to go from smooth to unplayable.

this is what happens when I try to run deferred on the sky cam.

I'm assuming its not supposed to look like that since by default it's forced to deferred. lol. Forward everything looks fine. Any Ideas?

16. Vondox

Vondox

That's strange, do you have deleted gaia from your project back in days? Because it only should try to compile when gaia is installed.
    For your sky problem try the little fix I posted above to fix this for Unity 5.6. I currently doesn't know why setting the render texture camera to deferred is such a problem in 5.6. It's working well in 5.5 so maybe ths gets addressed in next unity update.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  17. Vondox

Vondox

It's most likely a bug in Unity 5.6. I have tested in 5.4.0 and 5.5.1 - 5.5.3 and it's working there :D

18. zmaxz

zmaxz

The resolution of moon image is so low.
    How do i fix this ?
    moon.jpg

19. Vondox

Vondox

Currently you need to set a higher cloud rendering quality in EnviroSky component. But I already planned to totaly rewrite moon rendering in 1.8.

20. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Heh, the performance is better but I barely see the clouds anymore (have to change some settings to even see them properly, they are so faded). Maybe that's why FPS is so high for me. Also, all clouds again look like a flat texture scrolling (as in, there is no gap between clouds to show sky, it's a single texture faded floating).

I'll take some screenshots after I am done experimenting more.

21. Vondox

Vondox

Okay, I see what you mean now. For now you can try to use a lower cloud coverage to get more cloud morphing. You also can create multiple layers of clouds with different settings now.

I will look for a fix later and release a new update very soon.

22. wmpunk

wmpunk

I solved my performance problems.... I spent the last two days freaking out on stress/test to make sure my computer was working, updating drivers, reading article/forum post.. doing test.. yada yada. Want to know the irony in my problem and solution? My FPS counter was causing my problems...o_O I was using that Advanced FPS Counter asset. A small terrain with no trees would render about 1400-1700 fps. Enable that script and It would drop down to about 180. Now add trees and massive multi-tile terrain, fancy terrain sharers, Enviro and the fps would tank to 17-32 fps, remove the script and everything jumps to about 48-62. I don't know if i'm happy that I figured it out or pissed that a simple 10$ asset gave me so much trouble. haha.

23. Vondox

Vondox

Yea, sometimes it's a little thing that causing troubles, no one can think of before :D

24. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

To get a working FPS, I used Shadowplay, but I uninstalled that and now I use MSI Afterburner, it not only tells you FPS but GPU usage details.

25. Vondox

Vondox

Okay I have found the issue why clouds morphing was not working like it was in 1.6. I will finish this update now and send to store later :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    TalkieTalkie, wmpunk and malkere like this.
  26. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

I just purchased this asset and seeing this as well. I created a blank project with just Enviro and you can't seem to see past the clouds. It does sometimes just randomly appear though which is weird. Assuming that's the weather changing and it somehow resolves the difference.

I'm also noticing some weird light artifacts popping up here and there.

Attached Files:

27. Vondox

Vondox

What version of unity you on? And do you use gamma or linear colorspace? I have fixed a few bugs and added prefab for gamma colorspace. If you need I could send you package later.

For 5.6 try this:
    Open EnviroSky script and search for this line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cloudsCamera.renderingPath = RenderingPath.DeferredShading;
    and change to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cloudsCamera.renderingPath = RenderingPath.Forward;

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  28. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

Ok I can see the sky now. Some of the weather clouds render really pixelated though.

I'm using 5.6.0f3
    skyBlue.PNG blurred.PNG

29. Vondox

Vondox

Yea switch to linear lighting for the moment ;) The pixelated clouds issue in gamma colorspace will be fixed in 1.7.2.

30. Vondox

Vondox

A short video of new cloud wind and time controls in 1.7.2 :)

kerrmedia and yummybrainz like this.
  31. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

Ok got it. Looks good ;)

Vondox likes this.
  32. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

I saw you have photon networking integration. Have you run any test/setups with UNET? I'm wondering what the steps would be to get the weather synced across players with UNET.

33. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

@Vondox

Is this the actual boundary of Enviro that moves with the Player?

Because in-game clouds look too close to the surface, especially when I start running and closing in to the boundary of Enviro, clouds keep coming close to me. How do I increase the radius of the whole Skybox to be far away?

^ In-game the skybox looks like it's way too close to the player. Whole world looks smaller because of that.

Second, why are clouds moving faster when you sprint? Shouldn't they remain moving in their normal speed? It just looks really strange whenever I start running the clouds speed up at the same time while everything else you put in remains the same.

Third, I like the option to match the current time to the real time of the player's computer, however, I want to make the time go fast after the initial startup. I want only the startup time to be same as player's actual time, after that, I want the time to move at the speed which I have set. Option to do that would be nice (through options and Playmaker).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  34. Vondox

Vondox

I just could test UNet Synchronization in simple test setup. But you have to add the UNetSynchronization component on your local network players/server authority. I will write a setup guide for documentation in the next days.
    If you need help feel free to contact me on my e-mail.

You just need to increase your camera farClip to increase viewdistance and enviro "borders".
    I also will add a new option to increase viewdistance of clouds without increasing main camera farClip in 1.7.2. This will give a great effect but will cost some fps.

Hmm clouds should not move faster :D Try higher viewdistance and maybe fixed cloud altitude. If nothing help contact me on my mail and we will find a solution.

Here is a simple script to do that. Just add on your EnviroSky prefab in your scene and ready to go :)

Attached Files:

35. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

OK, apparently the speed of the clouds is tied to the camera clip. Default is 1000, I set it to 3000 (EDIT: 1500 is better with Curve fix) and the speed is reduced considerably (but now there is FPS drop too for obvious reasons). Will have to work around that.

Second, the skybox size problem is the Sky curvature. Turning off Curve fixes the perspective but keeping Curve on and setting it to 0.1-0.2 makes the sky look more realistic now (before it looked like a ball around the terrain at default 0.9

Thanks for the script, but I'd rather have that integrated into Enviro in the future. I am not a programmer (thus the Playmaker use) and using scripts outside of asset is just a bad idea for me (if something breaks..).

EDIT: Also, I fixed the faded cloud problem by setting Cloud 1 prefab I was using to -0.093 density, if anyone's wondering.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  36. Vondox

Vondox

Okay great, also maybe check the fixed altitude height in clouds settings. Strange with your curvate setting default should be 0.15 :D
    If you don't want to add more components: Here is the same script as Playmaker Action.

Attached Files:

TalkieTalkie likes this.
  37. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Question, why isn't the moon disc similar to sun?

I would prefer the sun (yellow) disc to become the moon disc with usual light rays instead of a static moon texture. I don't really care about different moon patterns (half moon, crecent etc.). I just want a glowing moon disc with light rays emitting from it. Is there an option to make it happen?

38. Vondox

Vondox

You only can increase the moon brightness at the moment. Check the material folder of enviro and the moon material.

39. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

The clouds are beautiful, are you doing something different that the other sky/cloud assets? I have one that is pretty good, but think I'll switch to this one soon.

Vondox likes this.
  40. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Can you please add the option to switch the moon to sun disc (only white with bluish tint.. or whatever tint/color we like)? Because that would look WAY better, especially which light rays (tintable of course for moon).

41. Vondox

Vondox

Happy to hear that you like the look of clouds in 1.7. I have been working for 2 years now to improve enviro and just try to get the best out of it and improving features over time with learn by doing :D

I wanted to start working on moon next week. But can't give you an date for release now. I have a look later if i could quickyly create what you want and contact you in the next days.

42. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Cool, no need to rush it (though if it can be done fast, why not? :p).

I just am used to Unreal 4's sky with sun disc > moon disc transformation with light rays at night too, which is why it would be cool to have it with Enviro in Unity.

43. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

Ok so I kind of got it working for a bit. The problem now is when I add the EnviroUNetIntegration component my camera doesnt attach to the player. When I disable it everything loads fine.

44. Vondox

Vondox

I will send you the newer fixed UNet component. It seems that I messed something up and included an old version not the recent one :D

yummybrainz likes this.
  45. antoripa

antoripa

Hi.
    Does it work with 5.6 ?

46. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    you need to change one line in EnviroSky.cs to work in 5.6 but just send e-mail with your invoice to get latest version that is currently pending review.

antoripa likes this.
  47. JohnFoundation

JohnFoundation

Hey, i'm looking for a guide (youtube would be perfect) showing the integration between Enviro and RTP. I believe that I have correctly configured RTP and Enviro but can't get the Snow and Wetness to work - and my assumption is that i have done something wrong (missed a step) but the instruction PDF is a little light on details.

I have enabled snow and wetness in RTP for my scence and added the script "EnviroRTP" to the terrain that RTP is on...

Sorry if this has already been answered.

48. Vondox

Vondox

Have you assigned the "Rtp" field?
    You only need to add the component, assign terrain and rtp script and you should be ready to go :D
    Maybe try to only have "Update Weather On Terrain" checked and disable other features. Also check if you can see wetness/puddles and snow on your terrain when manualy set this in Relief Terrain component.

EDIT:
    I will upload a updated documentation in the next days, currently working on it :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  49. JohnFoundation

JohnFoundation

You nailed it... the "RTP" field is blank. Where would I find this script (or what is it named)?
    And thanks :)

50. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

The script is the same as your terrain (LOD Manager on Terrain). Just click on the dot and unity will find the RTP object itself.

Vondox likes this.