Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Awesome! I feel real dumb I've tried so many times to get it to work in build, but that worked straight away :D

Thanks Alot Man
    Jim

2. SveinEven

SveinEven

Thanks, but the timer is still not perfect hough. After almost a minute, the in game time will be over a second ahead of the real clock. That not really important for me, but it might be for someone else.

But am I correct to assume that if I wish my entire day to last for 30 minutes, I need to put 30 in both of the boxes?

3. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi @Vondox
    I'll need to access the realtime cloud properties in runtime, like the volume cloud's coverage or the cirrus intensity.
    I tried to access the EnviroSky.instance.Weather.currentActiveWeatherPreset but it returns null.
    Where can I get the data? And is it possible for me to manupule them in runtime?

4. Vondox

Vondox

Yes. :)

5. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, should be only "null" in first frame after start, so add a null check and it should work. You can manipulate the data in runtime here, but as we are changing values of a scriptable object here the changes may get saved. So please keep that in mind. :)

6. JAMiller

JAMiller

Anyone have any luck using Enviro Fog with Unity's Billboard Tree Shader? (which Unity seems to have finally fixed with Global Fog!).

I tried many times to follow the same steps as in the RAM and Aquas guides but I can't seem to get the shader to work with Enviro Fog. I found a year-old post mentioning the billboards being broken but it seems Unity has fixed their shader (I remember when I couldn't use Fog with it at all, but currently working for me in 2018.2).

If anyone could figure out how to make it work with this simple shader, I would be eternally grateful.

7. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, here is replacement shader for Unity 2018.2.X with enviro fog modification. :)

Attached Files:

8. whydoisay

whydoisay

Hi there. I am using the Enviro profile for VR and getting weird glitches from clouds low in the horizon during night time. upload_2018-9-25_9-4-54.png

I'm using Aquas and VRTK, but I turned off Aquas and the same glitch happened. Season is Spring, weather is Rain VR, current zone is EnviroSky VR. I've attached my profile. Any ideas? This is Unity 2018.1.9f2 (2018.2 seems to have problems with VR still). I'm using an Oculus Rift with the Oculus Integration if that helps.

Attached Files:

9. Vondox

Vondox

Oh, haven't seen this on my side before. Please try to modify your bloom settings or activate tonemapping in enviro clouds settings.

10. whydoisay

whydoisay

I did try turning off bloom and didn't get that exact glitch but there were kind of "holes in the sky" where the clouds should be instead. upload_2018-9-25_9-45-23.png upload_2018-9-25_9-47-34.png upload_2018-9-25_9-51-21.png

I'm not sure where the tonemapping settings you mentioned are. I looked in the profile for VR Clouds and here's all I see: upload_2018-9-25_9-57-5.png

Unless you mean in the main sky profile on EnviroSky VR because Tonelapping - LDR already had a Sky Exposure value of 1.5:

upload_2018-9-25_9-59-1.png

I suspect this might be reflections related as reflections seem to me trouble in just about any shader I've tried in VR. I had to turn reflections off in Aquas to get it to look right. Is that what I need to be doing here, too?

11. whydoisay

whydoisay

Okay wait, I actually found it. My apologies:

upload_2018-9-25_10-24-48.png

However, tonemapping didn't solve it either. You can see the glitch on the horizon pretty consistently.

upload_2018-9-25_10-24-25.png

12. Vondox

Vondox

Hm strange.. Could you please test and deactivate enviro features in "EnviroSky" -> "Feature Controls". Does deactivating volume clouds or lighting fix those artifacts?

Also what image effects do you use on your camera?

13. whydoisay

whydoisay

The only post processing effect I had on the camera was bloom, which I turned off.

upload_2018-9-25_10-42-3.png

I turned the clouds to flat and that seemed to fix it. I decided to switch it back to volume to see if I could track down exactly what the issue was. Since the glitch was reliably happening near the horizon, I walked towards it and discovered it seems to be cropping up on the AQUAS Water Plane borders reliably. I mean, it also happens on the clouds but maybe the border thing causing it might help you track it down.

Another issue I am having is two moons.

upload_2018-9-25_13-36-55.png

14. Vondox

Vondox

How do you assign your camera and player? Looks like something gone wrong here. Normally it should manage moon layers on initialization. You could setup a new layer and assign that in EnviroSky -> "Rendering Setup". Then remove that layer from your main camera culling mask.

Do you use singlepass rendering? If yes please make sure to set that in Unity Settings and Enviro -> "Rendering Setup" not only in VRTK as I can't reproduce these artifacts here on my side with my oculus hmd...

15. whydoisay

whydoisay

I dragged my Player and Player Camera objects into the inspector:

upload_2018-9-25_14-42-20.png

Assign on Runtime is checked so I did not manually assign those tags. But I can if that's a better idea.

I'm using Multi Pass. I know people want all VR stuff to be done with Single Pass to improve performance, but so much just does not work correctly with Single Pass, I have found I have to use Multi Pass.

upload_2018-9-25_14-44-7.png

Is there a way to set the rendering specifically in VRTK separate from the Player Settings?

16. whydoisay

whydoisay

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also tried the layer thing and still had double moons. :/

17. JAMiller

JAMiller

Thank you so much! But, the file you attached appears to be identical to the original shader on github. Perhaps you attached the wrong one?

18. Harekelas

Harekelas

Is it possible to change the scriptable object's properties in a build game and make them work?
    I've tried to change the wind speed in a preset through code but it doesn't seem to work.
    And is it possible for us to set the weather change time per weather type? All weather changes exactly every 6 hours or a certain amount of time is quite strange.
    If I want to add custom functions into enviro events through code rather than from editor, dow do I do it?

19. whydoisay

whydoisay

Hi @Vondox, I decided to create a totally empty project, imported Enviro from the Asset Store and then just went to the "Enviro - VR Sample" that you included with the project. I am actually seeing the second moon in the sample project. I haven't even imported the Oculus or VRTK stuff, this is just straight from the project with it running and me hitting pause:

upload_2018-9-25_22-45-42.png

You can see the second moon in the editor. It's not an object -- it appears to be part of the skybox. Is it possible you have a moon in the skybox AND you're adding a moon object? Thanks.

20. Harekelas

Harekelas

And some other questions:
    Since the weather is procedurally changed by the weather transition settings, how do I get the actual cloud data or wetness data as shown in the scene?
    How do I accesee the current zone?
    How to manually call the weather change function for the enviro weather?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  21. Vondox

Vondox

Oh man.. I am sorry! Here is the right one. :D

Attached Files:

JAMiller likes this.
  22. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, please check the documentaion that is included in package. A lot of your questions are already answered there. :)
    • I never tested changing scriptable object properties in a build, but I would think that it should work.. Will give it a try later.
    • Sorry, you only can change the update intervall for weather changing for each zone right now.
    • Events are handled in documentation or take a look into EventTest.cs in sample folder.
    • For cloud data you could take a look in cloudsConfig class: EnviroSky.instance.cloudsConfig.coverage for example. Currrent snow and wetness intensity can be found in documentation. (EnviroSky.instance.Weather.curWetness and EnviroSky.instance.Weather.curSnowStrength)
    • Current Zone: EnviroSky.instance.Weather.currentActiveZone
    • To change Weather: EnviroSky.instance.ChangeWeather("Light Rain"); Also handled in documentation.

23. Vondox

Vondox

Ah okay, yeah that is how it should be. You will see two moons in editor view, but only one in game view or through your hmd. Please contact me for your other issue in private conservation or on my mail and we could have a detailed look why it does not work for you together. If you have skype you also could send me your skype user and we can chat there.

24. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Soon 2018.3 Release. Is Enviro compatible with that version of unity? :) We just would to know before updating ;)

25. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Second question. I have problem with mult scene problem, I get warning that my scenes use different skyoxes, one of scene has enviro second is just scene loaded additievely, the problem is that I cant set the same skyboxes cause enviro is generating its material dynamically I cant find it in project. How should I handle that problem? upload_2018-9-26_15-59-53.png

upload_2018-9-26_16-1-7.png

26. JAMiller

JAMiller

Thank you! It works perfectly!

Vondox likes this.
  27. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, I will check enviro in Unity 2018.3 later, but I don't think that there should be issues.

About multi-scene skybox warning:

@MadGoat used this method:
    "What did it for us to set enviro skybox on each scene was to disable and re-enable the enviro script while each of our scenes was set to active (I believe the skybox gets assigned on the OnEnable() call of the script.). Also hit "Save scene" before you switch to the next one otherwise the skybox will go back to "none"."

Raul_T likes this.
  28. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

@Vondox I was thinkging about that, but this is problematic method, Isnt there option to just create any dummy material of enviro skyboc that later could be assigned to lightning seeting of every scene?

29. whydoisay

whydoisay

To be clear, I throw the Oculus Integration into your sample scene and the second moon is there in game, not just in the editor. Skype is cool with me if that's cool with you.

upload_2018-9-26_16-7-33.png

30. Harekelas

Harekelas

Thank you for your reply!
    And does Enviro control the wind direction? I didn't find these kind of variable in the scripts

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  31. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Hi there.

Can this asset be used for a not so realistic/toony/simple game? Is there choices for that? Is it compatible with unitys LW pipeline?

32. Vondox

Vondox

Enviro won't control the wind direction right now, but it is planned to be added in an update. For now you could control that yourself by changing the rotation of the wind zone.

33. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, srp support is planned for end of the year. So currently no support for that. Also enviro is designed for a realistic look, but highly customizable. To be true it is hard to tell if it matches your project. :D

34. HalDevOne

HalDevOne

Perfect thanks. I saw also that there is also a mobile version. I would like those basic weather features. Its just the artistic part. Maybe if i could change the sky and the clouds. Are the clouds tweakable in any way.

35. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello Hendrik,

I am adding some configurations to my game which can be set during runtime gameplay.
    I'd like to add one Configuration for enviro, too, which turns off everything that could be heavy on performance (and turn it on again), how do I do that?
    Might be 3D Clouds and lightshafts, what else?

Thanks a lot :)

36. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, yea the new lite version could be a better match for your usecase. You could change the clouds textures here easily.
    Please contact me with a private message if you are interested in testing, as the new version isn't released yet. :)

37. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, yea use flat clouds and deactivate volumetric lighting for best performance. You also could decrease the amount of particles that get emitted by enviro to increase performance in rainy and snowy weather conditions. (EnviroSky.instance.qualitySettings.GlobalParticleEmissionRates = 0.5f;)
    You also could use the simple fog mode instead of atmospheric scattering fog.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  38. RyanDunne

RyanDunne

Is there a way to not fog a custom skybox?

39. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hey Hendrik,

I found most.

Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (Globals.Configdata.EnviroSimple)
    2.             {
    3.                 EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode = EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.Flat;
    4.                 EnviroSky.instance.LightShafts.sunLightShafts = false;
    5.                 EnviroSky.instance.LightShafts.moonLightShafts = false;
    6.                 // How ? volumetric lighting off
    7.                 EnviroSky.instance.fogSettings.Fogmode = FogMode.Linear; // is this most performant?
    8.                 EnviroSky.instance.qualitySettings.GlobalParticleEmissionRates = 0.4f;
    9.                 //todo auch andere Partikel reduzieren?
    10.             }
    11.             else
    12.             {
    13.                 EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode = EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.Both;
    14.                 EnviroSky.instance.LightShafts.sunLightShafts = true;
    15.                 EnviroSky.instance.LightShafts.moonLightShafts = true;
    16.                 // How ? volumetric lighting off
    17.                 EnviroSky.instance.fogSettings.Fogmode = FogMode.ExponentialSquared; // is this most beautiful?
    18.                 EnviroSky.instance.qualitySettings.GlobalParticleEmissionRates = 1f;
    19.             }
    But what is most performant and most Beautiful for Fog mode?
    And how to turn off Volumetric lighting if it is important for Performance?

Thanks

40. cansub

cansub

Hi Hendrik,
    I am struggling with the UNet. I load the UNet Sample scene, build and run it. I load 2 instances of it in windows. One I run as a LAN localHost and the other I run as the client. The client changes time and weather but the host does not change at all. It can control things but nothing in it changes.
    Thanks,

41. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hey, I'm testing Enviro with Ultimate Water System which I used in my game.
    I found that the clouds cannot be reflected by plannar reflection on the water surface and the reflection color seems not affected by the scatter effects enviro provides:
    upload_2018-9-30_15-40-52.png

Any ideas what may caused this issue? And how can I let the water surface reflect the true image of the skybox?

42. ghiboz

ghiboz

hi @Vondox
    I just upgraded to 2.0.5
    but the volumetric clouds are not good like the 2.0.3.... I need to change something?
    what's the differences between the 4 clouds different settings?

thanks

43. Emme73

Emme73

Hi @Vondox , we have trouble getting the reflections of Enviro to be shown in Aquas, any idea why that could be ?

44. NAiLz

NAiLz

@Vondox I love enviro so far but I'm having trouble with the weather zones. My sky/weather isn't changing at all when I enter the zone. I followed the instructions in the documentation, my character and camera are assigned in the proper places in the enviro sky object. Not sure why the switch isn't occurring.

45. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, out of the box you only can change sky fog setttings in each weather preset, but I can send you a modified shader for that in private message later. :)

46. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, do you have headless mode activated in EnviroUNetServer component? Please deactivate if your host is a player too.

47. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, there is a component (EnviroCloudsReflection) that needs to be added to your planar reflection camera. As most water assets hide these, you most likely need to add that component directly in code.

48. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, strange nothing big changed here, maybe the default configuration is a little bit different and a new lod system was added. Please contact me in private message if you need some help to find the look your are looking for.

49. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, there is a component (EnviroCloudsReflection) that needs to be added to your planar reflection camera. As Aquas hides the refelction camera, you need to add that component directly in code. Please contact me in private message if you need some help with that. :)

50. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, please check your Unity physics matrix settings. Make sure that your zone object layer can interact with the EnviroSky object layer as the weather zones working with unity triggers.