Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Tecknosim

Tecknosim

Hello .... You all seem to have studied Enviro in detail. Even I have, but I can't seem to solve one problem. Hope you all can help me.
    Suppose I am not using the dropdown provided to change the weather; then how do I start rain( it should include all effects such as clouds, sound of rain and particles) , stop rain through the script based on some of my events.

I am using the following code currently to start rain : (Using Enviro 1.8)

EnviroSamples.DemoUI.instance.SetWeatherID(5);
    EnviroSky.instance.ChangeWeather(5);
    EnviroSamples.DemoUI.instance.SetClouds(2);

This code starts the rain particles, sound of rain but the cloud effect does not appear.
    Also I want to increase and decrease rain intensity.

Similarly, when I stop rain I want the weather to change to Cloudy 2 again through script. I do it using follwing code :

EnviroSamples.DemoUI.instance.SetWeatherID(2);
    EnviroSky.instance.ChangeWeather(2);
    EnviroSamples.DemoUI.instance.SetClouds(2);

This code sets the weather to Cloudy 2 , but the clouds disappear after a few seconds.

Please let me know the correct way of doing it

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, you only need the ChangeWeather function to change the weather.

Examples:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         //Change by id
    2.         EnviroSky.instance.ChangeWeather(5);
    3.         //Change by weather preset name
    4.         EnviroSky.instance.ChangeWeather("Light Rain");
    To increase/decrease rain intensity you would need to use the different rain presets.

3. Tecknosim

Tecknosim

Thanks for the reply.But it did not help.Encountered same issues as mentioned before.

4. Vondox

Vondox

Hm it really should! If you are still on 1.8 you may want to update to latest version first. :D

Please try the script attached. That one will change weather with keyboard keys 0 - 9.

Just add the script on one of your gameobjects, start scene and press numeric top keys.

Attached Files:

5. Paratope

Paratope

I recently began testing Enviro with VegetationStudio, and Enviro seems to blur details on screen while simultaneously creating unwanted aliasing on objects such as foliage. I am developing for VR, specifically SteamVR.

With Enviro:

Without Enviro:

I really enjoy the asset, this seems to be only thing stopping us from implementing the asset into our project. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

Deleted User and Vondox like this.
  6. Vondox

Vondox

Wow, thanks! Great find, easy fix.

I will reupload 2.0.2 with fix now. I also will send you link for latest beta.

Paratope likes this.
  7. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

@Vondox V2.16 is knocking my socks off, but I have run into a small issue. I manage various Enviro quality-related properties at runtime, and have been calling EnviroSky.instance.ReInit() after doing so. In V2.16, if I call ReInit immediately after scene load, the scene is rendered without environmental fog. The fog appears as soon as I assign a new weather profile. If I don't call ReInit, the scene's skybox is sometimes rendered as a gradient with a blue color at the horizons and almost pure black straight up. (I am assuming this means that the horizon fog is rendering correctly but the base skybox isn't. Have you seen this before? I'm happy to provide a repro if not.

Here is my current quality management code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  void OnQualityUpdate(int qualityLevel, bool isSubmerged, bool timeIsDaylight, bool worldIsLoaded)
    2.     {
    3.         EnviroSky.instance.volumeLighting = qualityLevel > 3;
    4.         EnviroSky.instance.globalFog = qualityLevel > 1;
    5.         EnviroSky.instance.LightShafts.sunLightShafts = qualityLevel >= 3;
    6.         EnviroSky.instance.LightShafts.moonLightShafts = false;
    8.         if (qualityLevel >= 5)
    9.         {
    10.             EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode = EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.Both;
    11.             EnviroSky.instance.ChangeCloudsQuality(EnviroCloudSettings.CloudQuality.High);
    12.         }
    13.         else if (qualityLevel >= 4)
    14.         {
    15.             EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode = EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.Both;
    16.             EnviroSky.instance.ChangeCloudsQuality(EnviroCloudSettings.CloudQuality.Medium);
    17.         }
    18.         else if (qualityLevel >= 3)
    19.         {
    20.             EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode = EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.Volume;
    21.             EnviroSky.instance.ChangeCloudsQuality(EnviroCloudSettings.CloudQuality.Low);
    22.         }
    23.         else if (qualityLevel >= 2)
    24.         {
    25.             EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode = EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.Flat;
    26.             EnviroSky.instance.ChangeCloudsQuality(EnviroCloudSettings.CloudQuality.Low);
    27.         }
    28.         else
    29.         {
    30.             EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode = EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.None;
    31.         }
    33. //        EnviroSky.instance.ReInit();
    34.     }
    Edit: I just noticed that I am getting a "failed to open source file: '../Core/EnviroVolumeLightCore.cginc'" error thrown by the
    Enviro/EnviroFogRenderingSimple shader when attempting to build. The EnviroVolumeLightCore file exists in my project and appears to be fine. Any chance this could be related?​

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  8. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hi When enviro 2.02 will be avaliable on asset store?

9. Vondox

Vondox

Hello,

sorry, I need some more information. How do you assign your camera and is that camera already set to skybox clearflag? Maybe check that first, as the ReInit() call should not be needed.

About the shader error: Please try to reimport both shader files in your project. (Right-click - Reimport) If they are in correct place they should load fine, but mabe unity messed something up here.

10. Vondox

Vondox

2.0.2 is pending review right now. Should be live in next days. :)

11. Tecknosim

Tecknosim

Got with the new version.Everything works fine now.Thanks a ton!!:)

12. danteswap

danteswap

Awesome , Ya You Have To Play With The Settings to Suit Your Needs But The Performance on Mobile Is Excellent , No Drawbacks

13. spso

spso

Hi there

First let me say: What an awesome asset you`ve made. Really nicely done!

But I have one question regarding the morph speed of the flat clouds:
    Whatever values I set in the cloud settings (Wind Animation) or time or the cloud config itself.. The morph speed of the clouds seems unchanged. Wind speed has effect (the clouds moving slower over the sky) but the morphing speed is unaffected.

Do you have any Idea what line of code I might have to change to fix that?

Thank you very much,
    Cheers,
    Simon

14. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks! Good point. I will expose that setting in next update. :)

For now please open the EnviroFlatCloudsMap.shader and search for this line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. f += noise(uv + _Time.y * 0.0001 * timeScale * (1.0 - mul)) * mul;
    Tweak the 0.0001 to get different morph speeds.

Sorry for the inconvience!

15. Duusty

Duusty

An addition for the cloud shadow system as the current shadows are either full opaque or not visible at all and i wanted smoother "gradients"

So i abused the unity dither sampler for this:
    How it looks : https://gyazo.com/aaa44bbdb402ff77e04314b05c36aafa

Shader Code Change:

EnviroCloudShadows.shader

half4 fragShadowCaster(VertexOutput i, UNITY_VPOS_TYPE vpos : VPOS) : SV_TARGET {
    half2 worldUV = i.posWorld.xz * 0.0005 + 0.5;
    half4 cloudTexture = tex2D(_MainTex, worldUV);

half cloudMorph = (cloudTexture.r) * 0.99;

half alphaRef = tex3D(_DitherMaskLOD, float3(i.posWorld.xy*25,cloudMorph)).a;
    clip (alphaRef-0.01);
    SHADOW_CASTER_FRAGMENT(i)
    }

This line "tex3D(_DitherMaskLOD, float3(i.posWorld.xy*25,cloudMorph)).a" does the trick

Vondox likes this.
  16. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, yea that was pretty much how it was working in 2.0.0. For smaller viewdistance it worked quite good, but the dithering effect will be getting very noticable on larger viewdistance settings and in motion make the shadows look quite wrong.

The new update just gone live and this one features cloud shadows based on directional light cookie.(Cheap, smooth intensity and works on whole scene) But this is still work in progress and possible not working great in all projects due to unity bugs... I will work on that in next updates to include a stable good-looking solution for cloud shadows.

17. ibbybn

ibbybn

The last update seems to have broken some things with Ultimate Water System.
    That's how the 3 rendering queue modes in UWS look with Enviro 2.0.2 and unity 2017.3:

Default Queue:

Image Forward queue:

Image Deferred:

Note these are all in Unity Forward rendering. I was using the image deferred before this update because that weird line in image forward mode was already there since last update I think.

Tried pretty much all the quality/fog etc settings, they don't change these problems unfortunately.

18. Vondox

Vondox

I unfortunaly don't have a copy of Ultimate Water System. Do you please can check the order of image effects on your camera? You may need to reorder the enviro effects in case there are uws effects on camera too.

Also does anybody else seeing same issues with UWS?

DaanPol and ibbybn like this.
  19. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

@Vondox - I have identified the issue that is breaking sky rendering for myself, and it may be the same issue that is breaking sky rendering for @ibbybn. I now have a reproducible scenario where toggling various Enviro properties via scripting results in a broken SkyboxFlatClouds material. Toggling these same properties again often results in the material fixing itself. This break often manifests as a dark sky, but I have seen a pink sky crop up a few times as well. I can put together a sample project for you if it would be useful.

flatCloudsBroken.jpg flatCloudsWorking.jpg

20. Vondox

Vondox

A sample project would be helpful! Should be quite easy to fix then. Please send it to my mail. Thanks! :)

21. Jason210

Jason210

Hi - does this do star positions?

22. Vondox

Vondox

It does not render from a stars catalog directly. What it does is using a pre-rendered cubemap based on a star catalog and rotate that one based on date/time. It should be quite accurate.

23. ibbybn

ibbybn

Interesting, fiddled around alot with component order and it fixed the Image Forward mode by putting the EnviroSkyRendering component before WaterCameraIME, also needs to be put before WaterCamera because this one reorders the IME right under it at start.
    Image Deferred still broken though and Fog doesn't work at all. Worked with the last version though.

24. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks! I will investigate and release a hotfix if I find something. :)

ibbybn likes this.
  25. Vondox

Vondox

I just tested this with a friend who got UWS and we currently cannot reproduce your issues. Both Forward Camera - Image Effect Forward and Deferred Camera - Image Effect Deferred looking good. We used latest UWS 2.1.0 and Enviro 2.0.2 on Unity 2017.3.0f3.

6b10b896-770c-4f25-a974-61f12ea313d1.jpg

Please feel free to contact me in private chat or skype (Hendrik Haupt - vondox @ live.de) to further investigate why it breaks in your project.

26. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Fantastic, I'll have the repro project over to you in a few hours. As I'm working with Enviro, two items have come up that would be incredibly nice to have:

1) Customizable fog density curve to match time of day. For the target style of my project, all weather profiles look much better with 2-3x the daytime fog density at night.

2) World-space cloud positioning. Is there a way to use the Weather Map location offset to position clouds (and even more critically, cloud shadows) in world space? It's uncanny to see cloud shadows follow the game camera around.

You are doing absolutely phenomenal work. Here's a shot of Enviro and the Hydroform ocean system I captured in-editor last night:

After working with Simul for several months on over a dozen Unity-specific bugfixes, I recently switched this project from TrueSky Alpha to Enviro and couldn't be happier.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Vondox likes this.
  27. Vondox

Vondox

Okay cool!

1.) Yea, sounds like a usefull addition. I may will add a curve for that in next update. :)

2.) Oh... I forgot to revert that change when I pushed to store.I wanted to add a option to choose between worldspace and stationary x/z coords for large world projects where world willl be teleported.

Please open the EnviroRaymarchClouds.shader and search for these lines:

Code (CSharp):
    2. //World Space
    3. //float3 EyePosition = _WorldSpaceCameraPos;
    4. //Workaround for large scale games where player position will be resetted.
    5. float3 EyePosition = float3(0.0,_WorldSpaceCameraPos.y, 0.0);
    Just comment/uncomment the line you need.

However the cloud shadows should not follow your player as long as you don't move the directional light.

28. ibbybn

ibbybn

Ok I found the reason for both of these. Really obscure.

Image Forward had a Spot Light with Range 80 and Spot Angle over 80 near the water plane in the middle of the scene. As soon as I go under angle 80 there that huge black block in the sky is gone. Even with shadows off on the light. Odd.

The Image Deferred problem was a reflection lightprobe which somehow gets rendered like a big projected box now.

Funkeys and Vondox like this.
  29. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

ToD fog density curves will be SWEET!

After experimenting for an hour or so, I have been unable to reproduce the black sky issue in my simplified test project. What I did notice is that this issue only seems to occur in my main project when the EnviroSky.instance.cloudsMode is set to EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.Volume or EnviroSky.EnviroCloudsMode.None. After modifying my main project's quality manager to avoid these values, everything has been working as expected. I'll let you know if this crops up for me again.

The _WorldSpaceCameraPos fix is working well for me in smaller worlds. My project does use a floating origin reset system for some of the larger worlds. Do you have a way to pass origin X and Z offsets into the EnviroRaymarchClouds.shader to allow for open world exploration with proper cloud positioning?

30. malkere

malkere

I'm baking navmeshes using async operations and am seeing this weird spike under EnviroSky? Unrelated?

Attached Files:

31. Jason210

Jason210

I just bought this and when I was importing the package I had a warning that it uses scripts or assemblies that uses obsolete APIs!?

It stated that if I use "Go Ahead" that these scripts will be automatically updated, but I should make a back-up.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  32. malkere

malkere

You should always have a backup, but the auto-update should be safe.

Vondox likes this.
  33. Jason210

Jason210

@malkere - thanks.

I don't see the "EnviroSky" prefab anywhere, which, according to the instructions, should be there. Any ideas?

34. malkere

malkere

should be Assets/Enviro - Dynamic Enviroment/Prefab/EnviroSky

35. Vondox

Vondox

Strange, maybe check if EnviroSky has "Navigation Static" flag set. But I am not sure why enviro should influence navmesh creation. :D

36. malkere

malkere

my thoughts exactly! It's doing plenty of strange things though... wringing the bugs out...

37. Jason210

Jason210

Got it all working now. Wow! I love the cloud shadows. Very atmospheric.Just one question at this point.

Has anyone tried this with SUIMONO water system? I have pretty good results so far, but adding any amount of Enviro cloud shadow intensity toggles a sudden intense dynamic reflection on the water surface. If I could solve this issue I'd have a working solution for my project. Here's a couple of screenshots of a clear sky showing what I mean:

Unity_2018-03-01_14-15-28.png Unity_2018-03-01_14-15-38.png
    Apart from this, the cloud shadows are working and look rather good in a surrealistic way!

38. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Speaking of Fog Density. I just noticed that you can't use Linear fog. No matter what the profile is set for, the system starts it in exponential.Turns out it wasn't just that you can't use it, it is that you can't use it if you set it after starting the project.

Created a new profile, set the fog mode to Linear, assigned the profile to the inspector.
    upload_2018-3-1_8-28-37.png

Made sure it was loading the new profile and that it was Linear setting:
    upload_2018-3-1_8-36-36.png

Same frame it seems, it is not setting that fogSettings object with the correct profile information:
    upload_2018-3-1_8-37-58.png

A bit of digging and it seems that the profile information never actually sets the values on the fogSettings object. Turns out the profileLoaded variable was showing true no matter what. I tried re-loading the profile in the inspector to see if there was a condition where it was loading and holding the information outside of the process, but it turns out that about the only time it would reload that profile information is on a clean startup of the project. My 'quick fix' was simply to allow the profile to load on every OnEnable regardless of the profileLoaded value.

39. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, I know about that issue. It is present in most water assets around here and can be reproduced by just assigning a light cookie texture to a directional light. (That's whats enviro urrently does for cloud shadows)

Here is a topic about that issue over at tanuki digital forums: http://tanukidigital.com/forum/index.php?topic=355.0

And here is a simple script as possible workaround. (attached at this post)

How to use:

• Create a new directional light and add the EnviroLightWorkaround component.
    • Assign the Enviro Directional Light as "Main Directional Light".
    • Assign the new direcitonal light as "Water Directional Light".
    • Now you need to create or assign a unique layer for your water. For example the builtin "Water" layer. Make sure that the Enviro Directional Light excludes this layer and the new directional light only lights this layer. (Culling Mask)

upload_2018-3-1_21-35-20.png

Maybe it will solve our issue. :)

Attached Files:

malkere and Jason210 like this.
  40. Vondox

Vondox

Sounds like that you have not click on "Load from Profile" after you assigned your modifed profile.
    In general the system is designed to use the EnviroSky inspector to modify your profile as the settings that are used from enviro not are the settings on your profile.

Use the profile as a way to export and import your settings into your EnviroSky object.

However I just tested and set the fog mode to linear in EnviroSky Inspector and it correctly set the unity fog mode. One note it currently only set fog mode on start not at runtime!

41. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry currently not implemented but if you already calculate your custom player world position you could add a new float3 to the EnviroRaymarchClouds shader and send your own coords to the shader to use.

Something like that:

Open EnviroRaymarchClouds shader and search for this line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. uniform sampler3D _Noise;
    Add following above:

Code (CSharp):
    1. uniform float3 _CustomCameraPosition;
    Now search for this line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 EyePosition = float3(0.0,_WorldSpaceCameraPos.y, 0.0);
    And change to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 EyePosition = _CustomCameraPosition;
    Now we only need to send the correct position to shaders. Calculate a position that will include your x/z offsets from floating origin reset system and send it to shaders like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader.SetGlobalVector("_CustomCameraPosition", yourPositionVector);
    For your smaller world you could just send the camera worldspace position.

42. Jason210

Jason210

Hi, many thanks for fully explaining everything and providing the script. I see what the script does - a simple, clean workaround. Thanks!

43. jStinson

jStinson

Hi @Vondox ! We just purchased Enviro after looking at several sky, cloud and weather systems on the asset store. We found enviro to be far and away the best looking solution and are excited to incorporate it into our project. However, we ran into an issue on initial import into a fresh Unity project. Everything appears to import OK, but all of the demo scenes come up with the following compiler errors:

Assets/Enviro - Dynamic Enviroment/Scripts/Effects/EnviroLightShafts.cs(144,35): error CS0165: Use of unassigned local variable `lrDepthBuffer'

Assets/Enviro - Dynamic Enviroment/Scripts/Effects/EnviroLightShafts.cs(149,35): error CS0165: Use of unassigned local variable `lrDepthBuffer'

Assets/Enviro - Dynamic Enviroment/Scripts/Effects/EnviroLightShafts.cs(187,42): error CS0165: Use of unassigned local variable `lrColorB'

We are using Unity 2017.1.1f on Windows 10. Please let me know how we can resolve this issue or if I've missed something in installing Enviro correctly (I've already tried the reimport mentioned in the documentation).

Thanks!

44. Vondox

Vondox

Oh sorry, the only 2017 version I forgot to test. So I forgot to add the right compiler define that will work in 2017.1.1.

For now please open the EnviroLightshafts script and search for these lines:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2017_1_2
    change them to:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2017_1_2 || UNITY_2017_1_1
    I will upload a hotfix to store now. Thanks for reporting. :)

jStinson likes this.
  45. Paratope

Paratope

Thanks for the prompt response, the uploaded fix was very useful.

46. Vondox

Vondox

I have uploaded 2.0.2b with hotfix for 2017.1.1 to store now and send in for review.
    I also added new basic documentation to get started using enviro. The full detailed one will be released later. (Not completely finished yet...)

Attached Files:

47. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello Hendrik,

still have one issue since I installed the 2.0.2.

I want to have my night really dark. Nearly black.

Like the last time I reduced the curves for sky luminance and sky Color power around 0.5 a lot.
    It did help only a Little bit.

How can I have nights much darker but do not change other stuff too much because the rest is really great :)

Thanks!

48. ridley1224

ridley1224

Thank you!

49. Vondox

Vondox

You don't need to edit the UFPS script. You can assign the layers used by enviro in "Rendering Setup" section on EnviroSky inspector. :) Oh and as long as you not use the "Additional Satellite" feature you only need the "Moon Layer".

50. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there, on the Enviro Sky Rendering script on my camera, it has a triangle sign and says "There is no custom drawer defined for type 'CommandBuffer', and the type has no members to draw." I am not quite sure what to do about that?

Also, does the MegaSplat integration also work with MicroSplat? I have the snow / water, etc modules for it and what not.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018