Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Vondox

Vondox

The enviro skybox with cirrus and flat clouds should be captured by your reflection camera just fine. Just make sure that you render with "Skybox" clearflag.

Volumetric clouds currently cannot be reflected that easily. You may can try to add the "Addional Camera Component" to your reflection camera to render volume clouds on that camera, but not tested yet. I will have a detailed look into that in 2.1 update.

2. gecko

gecko

any estimate on 2.1 release day?

3. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

World Creator 2 standalone professional

Unity. Microsplat, Vegetation Studio, Advanced Vegetation Studio, Trees made by me in speedtree modeler, Grass pack with shader from NatureManufacture for indirect isntancing and ofc :D Enviro 2

malkere, Teila, Vondox and 2 others like this.
  4. blitzvb

blitzvb

Did you try Microsplat puddle with enviro rain? Or even wetness?

5. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Nope, i just want to firstly grasp the basic features of Enviro and Micro alone. Without foundations i wont delve deeper into integration stuff etc. :). Also this is just quick setup that takes 1-2 days to make. Sadly i have no effin idea for any game that could use terrain of any sort, so as of now, i just experiment and test stuff :).

blitzvb likes this.
  6. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello I have problem with any post effect ambient obscurance (AO) abt post effect ambient obscureance draw itself before fog, is there any chance to fix that? I use prism post effects

2. Interior zone is quite buggy, First of all when I try to decrease fog, then fog gest crazy starts to be lower higher lower higher, second,ly, ambient change change nothing here.

Also I have aniamted (ore less intestity) point lights on scene,maybe crazy fog is because of them?

Last question, Is there chance to finnally fix that white / light border around objects when using stormy weather esspecially, it is very visible on cutou speedtree shader but also on other objects

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  7. mattis89

mattis89

Hello!

So I was playing around for a while , running on my island.....and then suddenly this happends... like a fog coming in wery FAST!

Untitled3.png

Using Unity 5.6.4p4

EDIT: THIS WAS BECAUSE OF LINEAR FOG MODE!!!!! [[[[[[[[(((((SOLUTION ; NONE, UPDATE ON THE WAY))))) USE: EXPO]]]]]]]]]]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  8. Unplug

Unplug

stupid newb question here, I can't find how to activate the object for cloud shadow and didn't find any option anywhere for that ?!

i also find that billboarding of tree have issue with some effect like fog and i'm looking for solution

9. Anon32

Anon32

Hey @Vondox, would it be possible to add cloud formations to the list of features? Also adding gradients if possible. It's for cinematics and vistas. Or is cloud gradients only managed by the skybox and directional light.

blitzvb likes this.
  10. username132323232

username132323232

Is it possible to fly the Player above and through the clouds? Thanks!

blitzvb likes this.
  11. mattis89

mattis89

Cloud shadow is a inactivAted go in the enviro go in the hierachy.

12. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

This is a bug I mentioned before, sorry I cant upload it in edited post

Attached Files:

13. Vondox

Vondox

Do you arleady tried to change the effects order on your camera?

There will be a few fixes for interior zones in 2.0.2 update. You also need to make sure that you don't try to change any settings like enviro fog intensity on your own scripts, otherwise it may could lead to that issue. I really hope to finally get it released this week, but there are still issue reports and I want to make sure that I fix most issues before working on new features in 2.1...

Leave me a private message if you want to test 2.0.2!

14. Vondox

Vondox

Hard to tell from here. What enviro version you are using, what weather was active and what fog settings does this weather preset have? Oh and do you use linear or exponential style fog?

15. Vondox

Vondox

You need to activate cloud shadows from EnviroSky inspector -> "Edit Profile" -> "Clouds" category.

Do you use unity trees on a terrain without any third party tools? Unfortunaly that combination will not work with enviro as the unity billboarding shader does not write to depth buffer. You would need to switch to speedtree or use an third party vegetation system like "Vegetation Studio" or "AltTrees" in order to render your trees.

16. Vondox

Vondox

This is already implemented in some kind. The clouds coverage and height are based on a 2D texture. (red channel = Coverage, blue channel = height). You also have the option to use your own texture for that. (Clouds Category -> Custom Weather Map)

Currently the weathermap will be dynamicly generated with a perlin noise function on gpu. I may improve that in a future update and add some cool effects, but not in one of the next updates. ;) I also want add another setting to the green channel/alpha channel of the texture to gain more control on formations. (Clouds Type for example)

Here are few screenshot of a simple custom texture:

upload_2018-1-24_15-55-6.png
    upload_2018-1-24_15-55-22.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    nirvanajie, Anon32 and Firlefanz73 like this.
  17. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry, currently not possible but I planned to add that feature in future.

blitzvb likes this.
  18. Unplug

Unplug

thanks, yeah they were default tree, i upped the draw distance right now. I was considering advance foliage shader, they have better billboard control. Spreedtree is also considered.

19. mattis89

mattis89

The latest from Astore
    Hmm I dont know I use the preset weather and played maybe 5-10minutes..
    I change the fog to a bit more dense and changed it to linear.

20. Vondox

Vondox

Hm I can't reproduce that in 2017.3 with enviro 2.0.2 on my side. What unity version do you use? Any other image effects?

21. Vondox

Vondox

You need to go through all weather presets and configure the linear start and end distance then. I forgot to setup these in by default... Sorry! :/

mattis89 likes this.
  22. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

I use some prism effect, but Iwill try to turn it off and will check. I'm using 2017.2 I will ugprade to 2017.3 and let you know

23. mattis89

mattis89

Well.. this happends just now when it starting to be morning... the hole terrain black.. and then as you can see its somehow a square in my game screen.. and to the left on scene screen its all black...

Attached Files:

24. Vondox

Vondox

Hm, does this also happens when setting the fog mode back to "exponential" in envirosky inspector?

25. mattis89

mattis89

Im gonna try

26. username132323232

username132323232

That would be great, but I can imagine that adding this feature would be a lot of work. Could you please recommend an asset that already has this?

27. Vondox

Vondox

Only need a few modifications and changes, not that hard to do. Maybe check out Fog Volume 3. You also could use that together with enviro sky, time of day and weather features.

28. mattis89

mattis89

Haha...it actually worked :D I did switch to expo earlier, but didnt check for bug..lol :p

29. username132323232

username132323232

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that. I need this for a kind of "flight simulator" game, so flying through the clouds is important.

One more question. The clouds that show by default ("Clouds 1" setting) seem to have somewhat flat bottoms. It looks like they are pressed against some kind of glass ceiling. Are there any settings to correct that?

30. MrG

MrG

Never seen a "shelf cloud"? Sorry...couldn't resist! :)

31. mattis89

mattis89

Hey again! How can i set so the fog is higher up like around the mountains?

32. Vondox

Vondox

Please check and raise the "height" setting in EnviroSky Inspector -> Edit Profile -> Fog category.

33. Vondox

Vondox

I will have a look to expose the cloud type gradients in 2.1 to gain more control.

34. mattis89

mattis89

Yes but its same everywhere... if i raise it until i see it when im pn mountain.. when i go down its the same...

35. username132323232

username132323232

That would be great! When approximately do you expect to have 2.1?

Also, is it possible to use EnviroSky with multiple cameras that are all active and render to different displays?

36. mattis89

mattis89

Yes it is. Theres a script you add on the second camera.. additive or something , you'll find it..

Vondox likes this.
  37. tork12

tork12

I've given up on trying to make an FSM in Playmaker that will trigger weather using Enviro.
    I just want to be able to trigger different Enviro events... e.g. if character touches an object, it becomes night time, or a snow storm starts, etc. I tried the Enviro demo scene with WeatherZone 1 and 2 but when my character walks into the zones, nothing seems to happen. So, I want to just learn to trigger events in Playmaker, but having no luck doing it on my own. I just want.. touch an invisible trigger --> start a snow storm within 5 seconds or so, right away. or Touch an invisible trigger --> change time of day right away. touch an invisible trigger - start a rain storm, etc. should be super simple, but can't figure it out... Any help is appreciated.

38. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello What About bug with white border around trees and other objects at nigh I noticed I have it only with my weather preset I prepared at night esspecially, could yu please check out this my weather preset and let me know what I set wrong here that there are such a borders at night etc. Best Regards . I'm sending your preset in this post

Attached Files:

39. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I am having the same issue.

40. Vondox

Vondox

Do you already tried the playmaker actions that are included in enviro? You need to extract the PlaymakerActions.rar in Enviro -> Scripts -> Playmaker folder. After that you should have a bunch of playmaker actions in your browser. There are also changing weather actions.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  41. Vondox

Vondox

I can't reproduce your issue on my side with your weather preset. Maybe already fixed in 2.0.2?! I can send you the latest enviro version later.

upload_2018-1-26_22-45-11.png

42. auhfel

auhfel

heads up @Vondox -- the mobile weather prefab particle systems aren't that optimized. On my Moto G4 Play (~$100 phone, lower end for sure) the default settings for the particle system lag it badly. Going through the rain prefab, I switched it from 10000 particles to just 1000, doubled the size, changed radius for distribution to 20 from 40, and probably most importantly changed the particles from world space to local space to allow culling (as should be according to this blog post https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/12/20/unitytips-particlesystem-performance-culling/ ).

Just a heads up, in case others have performance issues. Making these changes made Enviro weather run smoothly, even on my cheaper device. Also, I think you already know? but the fog settings were whack on the mobile weather prefabs too.. wayyy too close! Imo, anyways. Needs are different for other people and my terrain system is far more efficient than normal and can handle way more draw distance! Lol.

Just incase you wanna make some more changes before releasing the next mobile version.
    EDIT: ALSO! Changed the shader for the particles to the mobile version. That's big too!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  43. tork12

tork12

Thank you for replying, I really love Enviro but can't code at all and so understanding some of what I need to call in, etc. is not clear to me. I did try using the included Playmaker actions, but just can't get anything to happen. I'm not sure if I need to set a weather event, get a weather event first, and then set it, etc. Do I need to place a weather object in the scene and then get the snow storm, or set snowstorm, or set the season first, etc, etc. If I were to send you $10 via PayPal ( a cup of coffee just to show my appreciation) could you make a new action that is super simple that could be included in the future as well e.g. touch invisible cube starts a storm, touch invisible cube changes to morning, just the most basic thins a person might want to do. Or a small pdf that walks through how to do this? Would be great to have a tutorial for how to do Enviro in playmaker for all of us who aren't good at this stuff. But I also realize this may be beyond any obligation you have as far as support as it's not an issue with Enviro, but with my understanding of how to use it with Playmaker. Just hoping I can get some help with this.

44. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks for your report! A few things already fixed in new version that is currently in testing. I will have a look to optimize the particle system emission rates too.

45. Vondox

Vondox

By touching an invisible cube you mean when your player enters that "cube"? That sounds like you just need to setup a few additonal weather zones. You said that you already tried the weather zones in sample scene and it does not fire up the weather change. Could you please send me an screenshot of your unity physics settings? (Edit -> Project Settings -> Physics)

Please make sure that IgnoreRaycast can interact with Default layer.

upload_2018-1-27_21-34-14.png

46. malkere

malkere

Heyo,
    I've gone into early access and so now have a lot of people playing my broken game *_* I've fixed most of the bugs, there are a few oddities I have yet to totally pin down. Some of the players have sent me crash logs, which are unfortunately uninformative, however I am seeing this in one of them:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "EnviroSky - 1.9"
    2. (Filename:  Line: 179)
    Do you think an upgrade could help with this (been meaning to for a while now), or any ideas as to what's going on?

edit: upgraded to 2.0.1 trying to get things setup again... I'm rendering fog on my background camera now (yay) but it's not coming into the main camera. Is there a way to send fog to multiple cameras? I'm going to just add a simple OnPreRender to the camera for now.

Which color should I use for the fog? The weather mod from the current weather preset?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  47. HP

HP

@kubaskia, @Firlefanz73
    I also had the same problem. It was something from Tenkoku Dynamic Sky that was still in the project because I had used Tenkoku before.
    I think it was even under "Edit -> Project Settings -> Graphics -> Built-in Shader Settings" or in the "Window -> Lightning -> Settings". I can not reproduce it at the moment. But you can check it out, if that's it for you.

48. tork12

tork12

Thanks for your help, I did a fresh install of enviro on a new project and confirmed the raycaster settings as you suggested and was able to get the weather zones to work as designed in the example weatherzone scene. Issue solved.

49. tork12

tork12

Getting things figured out, have functional custom weather zones, two things I can't figure out how to do. 1. How do I make the weather changes happen slowly / gradually? For example, if I want a snow storm and I set Heavy Snow in a weather zone, when player enters the zone it instantly starts to snow and the clouds change instantly. I tried various time settings, but can't seem to get a gradual easing in of a weather event, so not sure what setting to change. Don't want to go from Sunny to instant Heavy Snow, need storms to come in slowly. 2. How do I control the order in which weather events occur? In a weather zone I set the possible weather conditions as sunny, then light clouds, then light snow, then heavy snow... I would like the events to happen in that order, not randomly or as possibilities (as mentioned in the documentation). This was also an attempt to ease into a snow storm in a natural way.. that is clear sky, then light clouds, light snow, heavy snow, then light snow, then light clouds then sunny again. Is it possible to force the order in which the weather occurs in a custom weather zone?

50. malkere

malkere

I turn Enviro time and weather control OFF and handle it via script. That's the only way to take full control over it.

Code (CSharp):
    1. EnviroSky.instance.SetWeatherOverwrite(weather);
    For example. You want to mess with the change speed setting in the profile weather settings, they start at 1 I believe, and I agree they should be a lot less. You can control that manually too though.

You can of course check the current weather preset and the current weather zone before moving forward with your code, going from sunny to cloud in one zone, or sunny to foggy in another, etc.