Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. gecko

gecko

So you've got some degree of integration with Fog Volume 3, right? I already own Volumetric Fog and Mist -- any plans to add some integration to that? Or should I just buy FV3 while it's on sale? (I'm not sure what the differences are between those two packages.)

2. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

By the way, can we expect Alloy integration which is now open-source?

3. Thorskin

Thorskin

I have a manager scene that is unloaded and reloaded when player loads a saved game from main menu.
    After that, I load/unload scenes additive but the manager is not changed.

I have my own time manager ( with pause and slomo options ) so I set Progress time to none and update your time from my manager. Took me 5 minutes to code and it works fine. I can use your functions to get current weather when entering interior and set it back when leaving. I can stop updating your time when in interior.

4. Thorskin

Thorskin

You are right : if I don't remove the dontdestroyonload I don't have the error when changing weather, but I confirm that I have 2 instances of the effects.
    Updating to 2.0.1 now....

5. Thorskin

Thorskin

Got it !

I am loading my manager scene additive, and then removing the loader scene.
    When loading a scene additively it is not set to Active scene. So when envirosky creates the new effects object it is created in my loader scene and I destroy it after that.
    This is because new GameObject() creates the object in the active scene.

I modified this :

Code (CSharp):
    2.       EffectsHolder = new GameObject ();
    4.         // set parent to envirosky will also move it to the same scene
    5.         EffectsHolder.transform.parent = transform;
    7.         // and back to root staying in the scene
    8.         EffectsHolder.transform.parent = null;
    10.         EffectsHolder.name = "Enviro Effects";
    And it works fine : no double effects and no error message when I set the weather.

( as a side note dont destroy option don't work for me )

Vondox likes this.
  6. Ashamen

Ashamen

Is there any tutorials or documentation I can look at to help me figure what I need to do to network environment?

7. CptKen

CptKen

Odd I checked if everything was up to date in the download manager.

I'll try a re-import. Thanks

8. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry I don't have that asset at the moment. But I also could create an integration for that fog solution too in a future update. The Fog Volume integration should be quite good! Latest version also includes improved integration features on fog volume side. Maybe give it a try. :)

9. Vondox

Vondox

Sure, I will have a look!

10. Vondox

Vondox

Ah okay, haven't thought about that. I will add your modification to next update. Thanks! :)

11. Vondox

Vondox

I am currently working on new documentation. For now you limited to check the included scripts for networking with UNet or Photon PUN. But just write me a mail and I try to guide you through that.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  12. TeemuMV

TeemuMV

Nobody explicitly mentioned it in this thread before, so:

Enviro is compatible with Ultimate Water System (UWS), but you have to make sure UWS' camera component is placed before (above) Enviro Sky Rendering in your camera. Otherwise the fog/volumetric stuff won't affect the water.

SquadraCorse and Vondox like this.
  13. n8twj

n8twj

I am using latest unity, Gaia and Enivro... When I build out to OS X stand alone, I see purple during morning thru night. Windows standalone does not experience this same behavior...

Edit: Example scene included with Envrio experiences same purple effect, only on OS X.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. gecko

gecko

That's due to Mac Metal. (You can see it in the Editor also if you enable Metal in Player settings.) I've got the same problem -- using 2017.1 -- but someone reported that it's fixed in 2017.2.

15. jason07

jason07

Hendrik, would you be able to include the updated Playmaker action in the next update? Thanks

16. n8twj

n8twj

Sadly, I just downloaded the latest beta (2017.3.0f1) and the sky is still purple (and yes, if metal editor gets enabled its purple there too)

17. UA_AV

UA_AV

Tried EnviroPhotonIntegration but master is showing rain drops but client is not showing. Please help.

18. Szaruga

Szaruga

I've been using Enviro for a week.
    And suddenly, something like this happened to me today:

I have:
    Enviro 2.0.1
    Unity 2017.1.1p4

any suggestions?

Attached Files:

19. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry for that issues with Metal. I have reported it to unity already.

The problem is quite strange. The shader doesn't show errors or warnings. If you change something in shader, it shows as correctly compiled. Anyway when starting scene it fails silently...

For now please use OpenGl or use flat clouds only. I also have added that info in asset store description.

20. Vondox

Vondox

Sure, I will add in 2.0.2 update. :)

Mark_01 and jason07 like this.
  21. Vondox

Vondox

Sounds like that the wrong Player was assigned in client. Please try to use EnviroSky.instance.AssignAndStart(Player, Camera); for assignment.

22. Vondox

Vondox

Hm, please try to reimport enviro. Looks like that skybox shader could not be loaded.

23. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

@Vondox - This might be a good link to add to the bottom of first post. I read back through about 5 pages of the thread before remembering Unity added the thread search a while back. lol Headed to try the fix out now. :) thx!

treshold likes this.
  24. Szaruga

Szaruga

Unfortunately, it does not help.
    I tried different things and the only thing that helps is to transfer the project to Unity 2017.2. However, other things do not work in version 2017.2

edit//
    I managed to force the whole project to work in Unity 2017.2 .......meanwhile, it works.

But i have two questions:
    1. Using EnviroSky - default (out of box) - causes a significant decrease in fps
    without Enviro:

A moment later with Enviro:

in the case of rain, storm, fps drops drastically. It worries me a "bit".

2. Also Enviro out of the box, storm, sky covered with clouds and on the ground you can see the shadows of trees and figures as if there were no clouds:

Can I ask for directions on how to remove shadows when they are unnecessary?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  25. Vondox

Vondox

Hello,

you need to deactivate your "old" diretional light when adding enviro. That's why your scene become so bright and rendering way more setpass calls/shadowcaster than needed. ;)

If you see fps drops while raining/snowing you may need to lower the "Global Particle Emission Rate" here:

upload_2017-12-7_18-41-57.png

Sorry modifying shadows based on weather is currently not supported. I will have a look into that for next update.

Teila likes this.
  26. Sluta

Sluta

building does not work

2017-12-07_22-57-31.png

27. Vondox

Vondox

Please update to latest version and delete the EnviroCurlNoise shader, the shader that give you the error isn't needed anymore. You also could delete whole enviro folder and import latest version from scratch.

28. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello. Can you help me propper prepare interir Zone? I added component added triger, but it seems to dont work. I'm asking because there is no about it in doc.

Thanks

29. KevinCain

KevinCain

I've just updated to 2.0.1, thank you @Vondox for not including any standard assets or other potential conflicts in your packages -- we all appreciate that updating Enviro is a refreshingly clean experience. ;-)

Are 'God rays' supported, as you mused about in this thread last month?

I posted last month about being able to see 'Sun Light Shafts', which hasn't changed with 2.0.1.

From our exchange it seems that sun light shafts are only visible when looking towards the scene light. To be clear, I'm looking for a way to broadcast cloud shadows on Unity terrains, with or without accompanying 'God rays', a la Suimono.

Any suggestions from the group?

30. Vondox

Vondox

Just add the interior component to an empty gameobject and activate the features you need. A click on "Add Trigger" will create a new trigger you need to scale and move to your entry/exit. Add triggers for all your entries, that's all.

Please feel free to contact me on my support mail if you need more help.

31. Vondox

Vondox

Update 2.0.2 will include a wip cloud shadow system for volume and flat clouds using the directional light cookie. I will improve that in following updates.

2.0.2 will be released next week. After that I will start working on a bigger update 2.1.

"God Rays" from clouds are currently not really supported. However a effect like sun lightshafts that will work when you not directly look into light is already implemented. Please check the volumetric lighting category and try to tweak the settings like "Max Ray Length".

A realistic "God Ray" effect from clouds need to be added directly to the cloud shader. The coverage map or volume lighting effects that are based on shadows are not precise enough to create such an effect. I will investigate that and may add god ray effect for volume clouds in a future update.

Kolyasisan likes this.
  32. KevinCain

KevinCain

Thanks, @Vondox, a directional light cookie that coordinates reasonable with Enviro's existing volume clouds would be a big help -- thanks for stepping in this direction.

Since sunlight is parallel (or very nearly so as seen from Earth) the important cue to buy the illusion will likely be matching the speed of the clouds and the cookie shadow in a convincing way. I'd suspect the actual shape of the cookie is much less important than speed coordination.

Soft edges are, of course, another vital cue when the camera sees large expanses of ground.

33. UA_AV

UA_AV

Player is assigned correctly. The rain drops will only appear after master is shutdown. Something is wrong.

34. Vondox

Vondox

Okay, how do you assign your player and camera? The weather effects will follow the transform of player that is currently assigned in enviro. That's why I thought that in your client it is following a wrong transform.

35. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

It seems to dont work for me have I to add this zone to enviro main component or something? For now I did like you and it dont work for me I go into interior throw trigger and it do nothing.

36. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Could it be a camera depth/ordering issue?

37. Vondox

Vondox

Hm, I will have a look and send you a sample scene this weekend. :)

38. rotsin

rotsin

@Vondox Hello, let me say right off the bat that this is a great asset! I have a question whether it's possible to see the volumetric clouds while above them and also below them (for a fly through scene). I don't care how it would look while inside them, as I can do a fade to white while there.

[EDIT] alternatively could the horizon be flipped, so that it seems i'm above the volumetric cloulds and flip it back while i'm fading to white?

[EDIT2] even more alternatively, could there be a raymarch shader which only shows the clouds when above them and another raymarch shader that only shows them when below them?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  39. rasto61

rasto61

@Vondox is this possibly related to the changes I have pmed you?

40. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thank you waiting for that

41. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    Seems Enviro is doing something here. I checked all the other assets and this only happen with it when i play with cts shader maybe....
    Can see those lines in rendering and my fps goes very low
    Any idea?

Attached Files:

42. Vondox

Vondox

Hello,

I will work on flythrough in Update 2.1. There are two things we would need to change:

- Sky Fogging calculations will override the above clouds in current version. (That is why you currently do not see clouds from above.)
    - Improve the spherical calculations in cloud shader to better work from above and inside. (When seen from above there is a harsh cut at the horizon and a black line when inside clouds).

43. Vondox

Vondox

Looks like there is something wrong indeed. Do you use multiple cameras? Or special layers for character/terrain? Please contact me on my support mail (vondox[at]live.de) with more information about your project and scene setup like the above and your camera components.

44. kitsune9000

kitsune9000

Does anyone know of a simple way to change the color of the sky from something like Blue to a Reddish Color? Something like on Mars. I tried various things, like adjusting the sky and lighting the profiles section. I tried creating my own skybox or using a high quality one instead. But all I really want is the Enviro one, or the one that is considered default, as it seems to change at runtime.
    I just want advice on what to do in order to get the same experience in the game as the blue sky, except in red/golden tones - even if I have to change the shadow colors of clouds, ambient, ect...

Thanks

45. Vondox

Vondox

You want to modify the scattering parameters("Wave Length" and the "Scattering Color" mod). Here is a screenshot of my setting playing around for a few minutes to get a reddish/orange/golden sky.

upload_2017-12-11_22-34-33.png

upload_2017-12-11_22-35-34.png

After that you also need to tweak the "Lighting" gradients to match mars like lighting of course.

kitsune9000 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  46. kitsune9000

kitsune9000

Wow, fast reply. Thank you!!! I didn't think of scattering wavelenths because I didn't associate it with sky color!

EDIT. I have another question.****
    I want my game to start out with very specific weather in a cutscene, and at night. After the cutscene ends, I transition to a new scene. From that point, the weather doesn't matter. Do I use profiles to manage this, and if so, what is the intended way?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  47. blitzvb

blitzvb

Hey,

It’s probably not what your asset is made for, but I am wondering if it’s possible to use enviro with a top down (RTS) camera ?

Meaning, is the clouds, fog and weather effect can be seen from above and also is it possible to have all those “effects” per area of the map?

Thanks in advance

48. Freznosis

Freznosis

Hi, I'm enjoying the Enviro updates.. everything is definitely getting better. Performance is steadyily improving it seems :)

I wanted to reach out because it seems like the StandardAlphaBlended shader isn't fully working like it should (or the way I think it should??) at certain angles when the lightshafts are prominent. Am I doing someting wrong here or should the shader behave differently?

Towards Lights Shafts
    SSAA_20171212_01483572_519p.png

Away From Light Shafts
    SSAA_20171212_01510493_519p.png

Thanks.

49. julianr

julianr

Hi! How would I go about stopping it raining inside buildings? Do I just create an Enviro Trigger , with a zone, give it a name and no more effects inside the zone? Does this stop all effects on accessing the trigger as I have glass windows that you can see out of, so really the outside zone should still have the effects. Or is it just switch off the effects that would cause an issue inside the buildings and wait for the player to go outside before they work again? Either way I'll be happy with the result. As long as it keeps time of day going. Downside is I have about 50 buildings that i'll need to do this to :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Teila and Rowlan like this.
  50. Vondox

Vondox

Do you use same camera for both scenes or is your first scene in no relation to your game scene and you do not load additive?

If there is no relation just setup enviro in both scenes and make sure that you DontDestroyOn load option is disabled in EnviroSky Inspector -> "Rendering Setup".

If you re-use parts like camera in both scene you want to setup enviro in first scene and activate the "DontDestroy" option. When you now load to you game scene you just could change the time and weather settings in your script.

For your cutscene set the "Start Weather Preset" ("Weather Controls" section) and in "Time and Location Controls" the time of day to night and "Time Progress Mode" to "None".

If you go with the second approach and only one envirosky setup you could change the settings per script like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  //Set Time Progress to simulated to advance in time.
    2. EnviroSky.instance.GameTime.ProgressTime = EnviroTime.TimeProgressMode.Simulated;
    3. //Set Time of Day to 14:00.
    4. EnviroSky.instance.SetInternalTimeOfDay(14f);
    5. // Set Weather to clear sky instantly.
    6. EnviroSky.instance.SetWeatherOverwrite(0);