Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Vondox

Vondox

What do you have assigned as player?

Please try to assign your camera as player too and check if it solves your issue.

2. Vondox

Vondox

Yea, but not included in next release. Will be added later in 2.1.

TalkieTalkie and Grendelbiter like this.
  3. taylank

taylank

Hi! Is it possible to use your asset for weather simulation on a spherical planet? Think Kerbal Space Program but with dynamic weather.

4. Vondox

Vondox

No, sorry not possible. :/

5. WatchYourVector

WatchYourVector

I am not sure if this correctly answers the question, but in the Lighting tab, I have the Auto Generate check box off. I also haven't been clicking the Generate Lighting button, as it didn't seem to really affect anything so far.

What has temporarily fixed it for me, was to first go to the Direct Light object underneath the Enviro prefab on scene. I then set Shadow Type to No Shadows, which did away with the problem, albeit at the cost of shadows.

I also tried Soft Shadows, together with an increase to its Bias setting. The problem I noticed here, is that the more you allow user the zoom out, the higher you need to set the Bias in order to keep it fixed. Furthermore, I noticed that increasing Bias too much, broke shadows elsewhere, by creating gaps in shadows.

Finally, I tried increasing the camera's Clipping Planes Near setting, but that just ends up cutting off part of the view, and you get half of your screen as white.

I guess it's not the end of the world to not have shadows, but I would love a solution that would allow me to add them back in. Thanks!

6. macro9

macro9

Hello,

I had a couple questions to help me decide whether this asset is right for me:
    1. is this VR friendly? is there something I need to setup for VR project?
    2. I read above that it can only work for Perspective projection Camera only, what camera I should assign to Enviro manager? if there are multiple cameras? screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

7. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

Just recently bought your asset, and I like how easy it is to work with. The clouds are also quite good compared to other similar assets.

I'm having some problems with rain, snow and colliders though. I made a simple building with 3 cubes and box colliders. The rain hits the top cube, but there are still puddles hitting the ground. The cubes are static and in the default layer. Is there anything I'm missing?

8. Barritico

Barritico

Hi to all.

The clouds do not change the sunlight. It is always the same and the shadows are the same no matter how much the clouds change. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

9. MarioKap

MarioKap

Hi,

I have been using this asset alongside Eiderens Volume clouds v1.4c and it seems that some of the code is same.

I attach the code of the cloud shaders from both assets for reference (Eideren's is Clouds.shader from version 1.4c and Enviro's is EnviroClouds.shader from latest version).

I post below the lines that are exact same and some that are exact same but a variable has been renamed.

[HideInInspector]_CloudNormalsDirection ("_CloudNormalsDirection", Vector)

uniform fixed4 _CloudNormalsDirection;

cloudMorph = saturate(cloudMorph);

clip(saturate(ceil(cloudAlphaCut)) - 0.5);

EIDEREN
    fixed fakeDepth = saturate(_DepthColor+ (i.vertexColor.b * _CloudNormalsDirection.g + 1) / 2);
    ENVIRO
    fixed fakeDepth = saturate(- _Density + (i.vertexColor.b * _CloudNormalsDirection.g + 1) / 2);

EIDEREN
    fixed cloudAlphaCut = cloudMorph -_AlphaCut;
    ENVIRO
    fixed cloudAlphaCut = cloudMorph -_CloudAlphaCut;

I also attach an image with the two meshes used for the clouds, the mesh also has the exact same form (though Enviro's uses a few less layers, this is adjustable in Eidren's cloud layers generator, which i assume
    was used to generate the Enviro's meshes).

Thank you in advance for any insight on this issue.

Attached Files:

10. Vondox

Vondox

Hello,

sorry for that issue. The cloud system in current verson of enviro was provided from a freelance partner a year ago as a paid job to be used in enviro. Of course I didn't know that parts of the code where copied, as he sold his service as his own work. :/

Anyway all his work will be dropped and removed in next update with a new cloud system, this time created by myself to be sure that this won't happen again...

Please feel free to contact me with a private message to get access to the 2.0 Beta to check that yourself.

Best Regards,
    Hendrik

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  11. Vondox

Vondox

Hm, I thought changing the near and max plane settings should help with your issue. Have you already tried to raise the "Near Plane" in "Direct Light"?

upload_2017-11-1_16-52-2.png

Also would it a option for you to combine your meshes? That should solve your issues too.

12. Vondox

Vondox

Enviro will work well in VR and was tested on a HTC Vive. On the first look I think you would have to assign the Camera(eyes) object as your PlayerCamera.

HakJak likes this.
  13. Vondox

Vondox

Please check the weather effects systems in "Enviro" -> "Prefab" -> "WeatherEffects" folder. You most likely need to tweak the collision settings of the particle systems here:

upload_2017-11-1_17-2-3.png

For example in more complex scenes you most likely want to have a own layer for your colliders to be sure not hitting the "Max Colliders Shapes" count. You also maybe need to tweak the "Voxel Size" or use a higher collision quality to make sure that no particle penetrate your colliders.

Here is a link to the unity documentation:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PartSysCollisionModule.html

Corvwyn likes this.
  14. Vondox

Vondox

You currently only can change the light color/intensity for whole scene based on current weather preset.

upload_2017-11-1_17-8-28.png

The gradients are based on position of sun in sky:

left half = night
    right half = day

The alpha value will controll of how much of the colormod will be applied. Zero alpha no mod applied, Full alpha color will be overidden.

You also can activate cloud shadows in your cloud layer setup on EnviroSky Inspector -> "Edit Profile" -> "Clouds" category.

Barritico likes this.
  15. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice! I'll check that out after work.

16. macro9

macro9

Hi to all.

I just bought this asset and I ran the sample scene without problem, i got 125 fps, but when I turned on VirtualReality Support (OpenVR) the fps drops very much to 22.5 fps. Is there anything I should do to fix it?
    Thank you.

17. Vondox

Vondox

Okay,that is strange! I will send you access to latest beta version, which should be faster in VR with less overhead.

18. claudius_I

claudius_I

can i have access to the beta? :) I can give you my invoice number.

19. Vondox

Vondox

Sure, one moment. :)

20. recon0303

recon0303

Hi I had messaged you on SKYPE . There is a new version, didn't know, I own the mobile version and the PC version. I have you as a friend on Skype any way to get an invite for the new beta version? Thanks.

21. sancha-km

sancha-km

1. Can i set three suns instead of one?
    2. Can i change Moon on larger object like Gas giant?

22. Vondox

Vondox

Out of the box only one sun is supported. But you can add as many satellites (moons or planets) with movement based on time of day as you want.
    You maybe could use this feature for additional suns. But they won't contribute to the atmospheric scattering and you would need to write a script to control the additional directional lights.

23. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

Hi, just bought Enviro...
    What is the difference between profile and presets?

24. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I have an issue using this with Ultimate Water System. The usage of the camera farclip makes for a bad reflectionprobe when used for large views of water.

The reflection probe is stopping far short of the actual camera farclip and leaving a unique square on the water surface.

The current process of using the camera clip for the enviro scale, then applying that scale to the reflection probe is creating that square on the water since the probe ends earlier than the camera clip plane. Before I go through and change the code, is there a way to do it through the presets? I can't seem to find anything that would help with the probe since it seems to always base on the camera clip plane.

25. Vondox

Vondox

Hello,

the profile holds all global settings and can be loaded and saved in runtime. For example you can tweak settings in gametime, save to a profile and load it back in designtime. Or you could use different profiles for different scenes.

The weather presets are just the different weather types. You have options to change the lighting, fog intensity, clouds coverage and visuals, playing particle effects and sounds. These needed to be added to a zone component to be avaiable by code (EnviroSky.instance.ChangeWeather("Weather Name");) or automatic weather change.

I hope that answered your question. :)

26. Vondox

Vondox

Oh that is a good point! I will fix that issue in next update. Thanks for reporting!

27. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

HI
    Just would like to know how do I assign variables in real-time...
    I have created my sliders but I don't seem to find the scripts with the variables to be assigned
    (For example where do I find Cloud density)

Many thanks, Nic Capture.JPG

28. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

Thanks I got it now! Amazing tool!

29. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Hi There.

I'm trying to make the weather changes much slower and I have tried lots of values in the weather transition settings, all to no avail. The default is 1 and I have tried various values from -500 to 50000 and still no change to the speed of the transition.

Am I missing something obvious?

M

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, I've the same issue with my vive in the demo scene, i assign Camera(eye) in player and player camera.
    Do you have an idea ?

EDIT :
    @Vondox and @wstcgez for vr with vive just change Cloud Render Resolution to 1 in Default Enviro Profile and Apply in EnviroSky GameObject !

Thanks for Enviro it's very cool plugin :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
  31. thunderdawn

thunderdawn

Hi, is it possible to have unnatural and limited day-night cycles with Enviro while keeping weather and possibly fog dynamic?

For example, a very long sunset (several real-time hours) becomes a starry moonlit night, then a dark night, and then it’s a dark night forever. The cycle wouldn’t repeat unless a new game is being played but the weather is going through seasons.

Or once a scene loads, it opens with a stormy night, and then in 2-3 minutes sunrise starts suddenly, the weather clears and the cycle freezes. Even if you stay in the scene for 24 real-time hours, it will be a clear morning from now on.

32. Vondox

Vondox

Please try something like 0.01.

33. Vondox

Vondox

Hm setting cloud render resolution to 1 will cost you a lot of performance. Currently not sure why that should fix your issue with shaking lights/shadows.

Please contact me with a private message if you are interested in latest enviro version. Cloud system changed and maybe latest version will fix your issues too.

Deleted User likes this.
  34. Vondox

Vondox

Sounds like you would need to write a simple script to control weather, time and time progress yourself. Then it should be pretty much possible.

35. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

Hello, what is completion statale of 2.0? Any eta? I'm just very curios about volumetric lighting.:)

36. Vondox

Vondox

I hope/try to upload 2.0 to asset store next week. :)

37. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

That sounds great!
    Do you think the performance will be as good as in the current Version (in my case pc standalone build)?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  38. danteswap

danteswap

Hey There I am Working On A Mobile Game For Android Which will Be Later Ported To Steam . So I want To Know Will This Asset be Good For Mobile or Not . I mean Does the Desktop Version Support The Mobile Or Wee Need to Buy The Mobile version Separately because I Don't Want to Buy The Asset Two Times because I Got No Extra Money to do so Because Of My Tight Budget . And If Yes Can You Provide a Preview Copy So That I Can Test The asset before Buying With Some Special Discounts Codes :)

39. Vondox

Vondox

In general 2.0 should be faster than 1.9.2, but it really depends on features you activate and your GPU. For example enviro 2.0 will have less overhead as it doesn't need to render multiple cameras anymore. With the flat clouds options you also can use enviro on older target hardware or as performance mode for VR.

The volumetric lighting and clouds are more expensive stuff and performance really depends on your GPU. Visually 2.0 is way more advanced than 1.9.2!

So I benchmarked on my modern gaming pc (Ryzen5 1600x@3800 - 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 - GTX 1070) in a scene with a terrain + grass + cts + a lot of speedtrees + a few rocks + post effect stack and get ~ 130 FPS with volume lighting and volume clouds at medium quality. Without enviro I get about 145 FPS. But I would think that slower/older cards will see a bigger fps drop. That's why I added multiple quality modes + flat clouds options that can be changed in runtime.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Corvwyn and Firlefanz73 like this.
  40. Vondox

Vondox

The desktop version isn't designed for mobile usage. When you buy the mobile version now, you could upgrade to desktop anytime and only need to pay the difference. If you buy the desktop version you can "upgrade" to mobile version for 1$ and have both versions.

ice2011 and gecko like this.
  41. marcatore

marcatore

@Vondox is there a new beta or will wait the incoming official 2.0 asset package?

42. danteswap

danteswap

Ok Then I will Go For Mobile For Now But do you have Any Demo or Video Showing off Mobile Version in action With stats . I mean Whats The Performance Cost and Etc I definitely Wanna Keep Those Things Clear before Buying . Can You Provide A video With Full Comparision of A scene running with and without Enviro mobile running On Mobile Device and Desktop With stats.

43. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Will the new Version support somehow maybe with a weather prefab?
    - Player is in a cave, or Underground or somewhere where it is always dark at night and day. Perfect with some ambient sounds again. Or the possibility to add an own. Would be great and for me personally a missing Feature :) Thanks!

44. HakJak

HakJak

What's the performance cost for this in a VR project?

45. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry, I currently don't have such a video. I will prepare something when new mobile update is going to be released, but at the moment too busy to prepare next major desktop update for release.

46. Vondox

Vondox

Yea, that is implemented in 2.0. There is a new component to trigger underground modifications for direct and ambient lighting, fog, audio volume and weather effects emission rates.

You also free to use these new modification parameters in your own scripts to create what you need.

Firlefanz73 and gecko like this.
  47. Vondox

Vondox

Hard to tell, but 1.9.2 is quite taxing in VR as it need to render multiple cameras.

But with the next update it should be faster. No need to render multiple cameras and a new faster flat clouds option rendered directly in skybox.

The new volume clouds and volume lighting features could be still a bit to heavy for VR if you don't want to target only high-end GPU's. So at the end it really depends on what features you activate.

HakJak likes this.
  48. parandham03

parandham03

Hi,
    I have the same doubt. Can you please help me to change cloud, fog, rain, and snow density?

49. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Now I would like to beta-Test it if possible. :)
    I will send you a conversation question about this. Thanks a lot!

50. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just tried the version 2.0.0. The moon appears to be just a white disk:

moon.jpg

And the stars are white hard pixels. Is there a way to change that behavior, so that it looks more natural? It looks like the atmosphere is missing between earth and stars and moon.

Also, if feature request are allowed, a milky way and aurora borealis would be awesome :D