Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello I have a question why in HDR mode and when I set object as lightmap static, I see SUN halo throw the walls? Is there any way to fix that? It is visible throw walls/model only with hdr enabled.

2. Vondox

Vondox

Hello :)
    Please try to reduce the fog scattering amount in your weather presets. This should help a little bit. But I am working on a real fix for next update.

3. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Just got in the testing of enviro with all kinds of settings to find a bottleneck that we've encountered. I kinda have a suggestion.

It really seems like the volumetric cloud shader is extremely heavy, especially with multiple layers. That's why you are using a second camera to render those clouds at lower resolution and save resources. However, this in not ideal for out team at all: the sky (along with moon and clouds) looks blocky and we also lose some performance due to the blending, along with memory footprint of a render texture.

So, I suggest (or you can say, request) to make a different, optional approach to rendering clouds: just render everything with a single camera, but make clouds not volumetric, e.g. just a plane with a simple cuttof and additional effects. Yes, it might look not as appealing, but:
    -It's faster, waaaay faster
    -Won't require the setup with a second camera, giving you high-resolution and saving resources
    -Cutout can be implemented, saving recources
    -Can be captured in realtime reflection probes without a hassle
    -Can be Deferred in some setups

CodeMonkey's Time Of Day and UE4's stock skybox use this approach and they look very nice and run very fast. I am sorry if it sounds like a whiny request, but I thought that it will most certainly be of use to everyone as it will grant a lot of speedup, a thing very needed for mid-range hardware.

Thank you for your attention, again.

Weendie-Games and one_one like this.
  4. ibyte

ibyte

How can i make directional light only affect my scene through open windows and not through walls?

5. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

@Vondox Ah ha! I discovered what's causing that really dark Editor scene issue. Well, sort of. It happens once I enabled HDR on the Rendering setup and play the scene/get out.

Vondox likes this.
  6. Exeneva

Exeneva

Just curious - do you have a rough estimate for when Enviro 2 will be released? :)

Also wondering if it will include performance improvements. In the Profiler, roughly 25% of impact comes from Enviro. Thanks!

7. Censureret

Censureret

Hey guys.

I just bought the pack. First of all i love all of the options it has. However it seems that my scene is very "dark" even when the sun is shining. is there something i am missing to setup?

The 2nd image is compared to unistorm that i used before:

Attached Files:

8. monkyfizt

monkyfizt

Hey i have a small problem. I integrated everything succesfully in to my project. I even made it compatible with gaia, Ultimate Survival and AQUAS but I just can't seem to get the puddles working. How am I supposed to use the puddle holder? Does anyone have any suggestions? That would be great.
    Greetings

9. Freshmeat911

Freshmeat911

I hope you get help on this cause I haven't used it yet either and would love the tips

10. Vondox

Vondox

Happy to tell you that this is coming with Enviro 2.0! I have removed the old cloud system and created a real AAA clouds solution based on "Horizon - Zero Dawn" volumetric clouds paper + a very very fast flat clouds shader in skybox pass. You can use both at the same time or deactivated the raymarch based clouds if you need best performance.

Here are a few screenshots to show the visual improvements:
    screen_1920x1080_2017-10-05_22-12-54.png
    screen_1920x1080_2017-10-05_22-21-49.png screen_1920x1080_2017-10-05_22-25-45.png
    screen_1920x1080_2017-10-05_22-29-17.png

11. Vondox

Vondox

Hmm hard to tell why it is so dark in your scene. Do you see the same in in sample scene? Maybe try to create a new profile and assign this. (Rightclick on a folder: Create -> Enviro -> Profile).

12. Vondox

Vondox

The puddles are only added as bonus and they are quite limited, but could be usefull for roads for example. It won't really work on terrains for exmple.

Maybe check the sample scene to show how to setup. At the end it is just a plane with the puddle shader that will go up when it is raining and down when it gets dry. Oh for terrains you could use RTP or Megasplat for example to have dynamic puddles.

13. Vondox

Vondox

Do you have deactivated shadow casting on your walls? This should be handled by unity shadows.

14. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

No way! Ah, I am incredibly happy! Thanks! Can't wait for it already!

15. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Wow...the new cloud system looks awesome! Great work! :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  16. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Just a possible hint / idea:
    I see a lot of those:

if (col.gameObject.tag == EnviroSky.instance.gameObject.tag) {

I heard using .CompareTag(x) should be faster. Just an idea, maybe for the update...

Vondox likes this.
  17. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks, I didn't know that function. :D Will add that to my list for 2.0.

18. handsomeGeoffrey

handsomeGeoffrey

Hi, I'm interested in your product, but I had a few questions before I purchase.

I see 2.0 is coming. Will it be a free upgrade for existing customers, or will there be an upgrade fee?

My current project doesn't have a player, rather the camera hovers above the terrain between 15 and 40 units and looks downward between 45 and 75 degree. I need a solution that controls, among other things, weather and fog. I don't see any sample images or videos of how your product would look in more of a "top-down" scenario. In your fly-through videos some frames are close, but it's still hard to tell. I know some fog and weather solutions look "ganky" when not used in first person, or when you start looking at the terrain at the sort of angles I need. Does your fog and weather systems hold up under my scenario? Can I ask you to provide a sample image(s), please? :)

Finally, I'd like to change the color gradient for daylight based on the season. Ie. Cooler tones in the winter and spring, warmer tones during summer and fall. Does your product allow for this? Sorry if it's obvious in one of your videos, I looked at your getting started video and didn't see it... maybe I overlooked it.

Anyways, it looks like you've built something awesome. I really hope it can support my requirements. Thanks in advance for your time.

19. D3Duck

D3Duck

This looks amazing. Will be buying shortly. I'm actually in the middle of making my own weather system but there's no way I'm topping this without spending a decade on it! That'll give me more time to work on other aspects of my game.

Vondox likes this.
  20. Vondox

Vondox

Hello!

The price will increase with 2.0 release, but there won't be additional costs for existing customers.

As long as you are using a perspective camera everything will work. I will upload a screenshot to prove that tomorrow.

Different lighting for seasons are currently not implemented, but sounds like a great idea! I will add this feature to my list for 2.0.

21. one_one

one_one

Ideally, different lighting for different seasons would be tied to WAPI. In most open world games, you'd want to be able to drive global lighting and post-processing settings based on time of day, weather and season plus local exceptions (e. g. in caves or buildings...) Seeing how you're also planning to add 'interior zones', maybe it would make sense to incorporate all of this into a zone mode (akin to how Unity's post processing 2.0 does it) which can be driven by WAPI?

Vondox likes this.
  22. handsomeGeoffrey

handsomeGeoffrey

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to trying out your product.

23. handsomeGeoffrey

handsomeGeoffrey

Hi, I've got a question about cloud shadows. Is it possible to set the intensity of the cloud shadows independent of the shadows on the rest of the scene? I know this is controlled by the directional light in the scene; unfortunately, it's a global setting and you end up with the cloud shadows "overwriting" all other shadows in the scene. You can see the problem I'm having in the attached image. I'd like to have very low intensity shadows for the clouds while keeping strong shadows for my scene objects. Any possible solutions? Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious, I've not worked much with lighting until now. StongShadows.PNG

24. Vondox

Vondox

This isn't implemented in current asset store version, but I have started a conservation and send you a link to download a shader for semi-transparent controllable cloud shadows. ;)

25. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Great to hear that you already noticed that and you working on fix ;) Thank you,

I noticed one more thing problem with audio zones volume zones there is no possiblity to set audio ambient volume zone to 0 for example interior etc, or ven decrease volume If iremember well, I mean you could set it to 0 but it do nothing then

P.S cloud in envior 2.0 looks great! I cant wait to upgrade, and it is great to hear that there will be no cost for 1.9 enviro customers.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  26. PiotrW

PiotrW

I got strange problem. Very often during night my scene and sky is getting very bright randomly. Flat ambient color for environment rendering is changed to very bright grey and whole scene is like during day not night. I think It is caused by changing weather system. I change time manually according to my game time it is flowing right from 0:00:00 to 23:59:00 bu rendering is strange

27. Vondox

Vondox

The AudioZone volume values are mod that will be added to final volume. So you need to set these to a negative value to lower the final volume.

28. Vondox

Vondox

Hmm hard to tell. How do you drive the gametime? Do you see this happening totally random or only in some of the weather presets or days? There are light,fog and sky color mods in each weather presets. Left half is nightime. The alpha value drives the intensity to override the default colors. Maybe take a look into that too.

29. Teila

Teila

Wow!!! Those clouds are beautiful, Vondox! I am so glad I use Enviro in my projects. Getting back to terrain stuff after Unite and so looking forward to the new updates.

Vondox likes this.
  30. txarly

txarly

hi,
    i am trying to change the lighting curve(lower intensity to a max of 1), but after change it, ti doesn´t update and return back to the default.I can´t edit the curve.Can be a unity bug ?enviro´s?anybody have this issue?
    thanks

31. claudius_I

claudius_I

maybe this isn't a problem
    but when activated Enviro my FPS down from 90 to 30.

32. Vondox

Vondox

Hm okay, what unity version? And do you may have an old version of Vegetation Studio Beta imported?

33. Vondox

Vondox

Strange, FPS shouldn't drop that much. What is your cloud rendering resolution at? (profile -> clouds category)

34. claudius_I

claudius_I

Attached Files:

• cloud.png
      cloud.png
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      197.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      168.5 KB
      Views:
  35. Vondox

Vondox

Do you have loaded that profile in your envirosky inspector? When you click on "Edit Profile" and choose "Clouds" category is the clouds rendering resolution at 5 too?. You can try to raise that value to gain some perfomance. Maybe also create two new layers to assign these in "Rendering Category". One for Sky(Clouds) and one for Satellites(Moon and so on).

Another thing to check would be reflections of water if you have any in your scene. Try to remove the sky layer(that are the clouds) from your reflection mask and check if fps will be okay again. You also can try to reduce the reflection resolution. Most performance issues with current enviro version have to do with high resolution clouds rendering.

36. Vondox

Vondox

Oh and your screenshots comparison is a bit misleading. You have no directional light in your test without enviro. ;)

So you don't have to process over 5000 shadow casters! Maybe try to reduce the shadow distance.

37. claudius_I

claudius_I

Thanks Vondox

I created another scene and have more FPS (up to 70)

Unity :mad:. Almost one time in the month i have to create a new project. I hate that.

38. Exeneva

Exeneva

@Vondox do you have a doc somewhere about performance and Enviro? Might be good to add one sometime in the future since performance is something we all struggle with when using influential environment solutions :)

Vondox likes this.
  39. txarly

txarly

2017.1.0f3
    I don´t have vegetation studio.

40. Vondox

Vondox

Please try to create a new project and only import enviro. Maybe another asset is messing with the unity curves. I will do a test with 2017.1.03 later, but for me it is working on 2017.1.0p5.

41. txarly

txarly

you are right, in a new project works perfectly.Pff i will try to find the asset that creates the conflict.

42. graphanite

graphanite

Hi Vondox,

I'm looking for some guidance with an issue I'm having.

I'm having trouble getting transparent particles to render correctly with Enviro. If the pixels overlap the sky, the transparency of the particle is a lot lower than what it should be. It seems to me to be an issue related to the depth buffer, since the particle shader does not write to it.

I've tried many different transparent particle shaders, but the issue is always the same. It does not happen with Opaque or Cutout shaders.

I found that by disabling the Enviro Fog script in the Camera the issue is gone.

* With EnviroFog enabled. The smoke partially covers the trees and land behind, but the mountain silhouette is very noticeable against the sky (also the trees silhouette against the mountain).
    upload_2017-10-13_19-24-25.png
    upload_2017-10-13_19-19-40.png

* With EnviroFog disabled. The smoke covers the trees and land behind completely.
    upload_2017-10-13_19-23-56.png
    upload_2017-10-13_19-19-31.png

Do you know what would be the correct approach for rendering transparent particles with Enviro (while keeping the fog effect if possible)?

Best regards,
    Martin

43. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Martin,

only solution for now will be to open EnviroFog.cs and remove the "//" from this line: [ImageEffectOpaque]. This will remove fog from all transparent materials.

With Enviro 2.0 there will be a different approach and a shader .cginc with a TransparentFog function you could add to your transparent shader to have them properly fogged. I also inluded a few particle and transparent shaders to get started without altering any shaders.

Best Regards,
    Hendrik

D3Duck and graphanite like this.
  44. graphanite

graphanite

Thank you! That did the trick :)

upload_2017-10-13_19-40-34.png

45. gecko

gecko

Very excited for v2 -- any guess when it'll be released?

46. Vondox

Vondox

Hehe yea, maybe two weeks. Still a lot of work to do. Yesterday I improved the visuals of clouds with a more realistic lighting calculation and new 3D noise textures. A few things still missing like cloud shadows and reflection from the volume clouds. Not sure if I get that done in 2.0 already. If not it will be added to 2.1.

47. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Great news, can't wait to get version 2.0. ;)

48. mikedolan03

mikedolan03

Can this asset support a second sun or other non earth skies like a jovian planet in the sky? Even if not out of the box maybe there is a way for me to modify something in script? On the verge of purchasing but wanted to see if this was possible first...

49. Vondox

Vondox

Unfortunaly a second sun isn't supported out of the box, but additional satellites and planets are supported and can be added easily. You would need to create a prefab of your planet with a sphere mesh and your planet material. You also can control how they would travel in sky based on game time.

mikedolan03 likes this.
  50. mikedolan03

mikedolan03

Thanks for your reaponse. Excited about the planet in the sky prospect. I suppose i could treat the second sun as a satellite so you see it in the sky but it just wouldnt generate lighting... will have to experiment and see how it looks