Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. daschatten

daschatten

I already set start and end, just haven't found the fog settings. It's really good hidden in it's own profile category. Thx!

2. Vondox

Vondox

Hm I just tried that demo with the floating disks and can't reproduce your issue on my side. What unity version you are on?

upload_2017-8-21_16-1-39.png

evilangel89 likes this.
  3. evilangel89

evilangel89

5.5.0f3 actually. Probably need to make the move to 5.6 or 2017.1 for that matter

4. Vondox

Vondox

Ah okay. Yea you really should try in 5.6+ and redownload auqas to get the new version that is using posteffect stack for underwater rendering instead of the old legacy image effects. Looks better for me :)
    I still will have a look for 5.5 later.

5. evilangel89

evilangel89

Actually I got the latest aquas. But it's using the old image effects. not the post processing stack :O I downloaded the latest aquas too from the asset store. Did you get one with the post processing stack from the developer directly ?

EDIT: Hendrick I have a feeling this is a 5.5 issue. I upgraded to 2017.1 directly today. So will take a look at how this works there. There may be other users using 5.5 so if you want to please do give it a look, otherwise I think I am alright for now :)

I also found this on the first page of the aquas forum.

UPDATE:
    AQUAS 1.4.2 is out! AQUAS can now make use of Unity's new post processing stack to render the underwater effects. For this reason AQUAS was split into two versions. The correct version is chosen automatically based on which Unity version you're using, whereby one version is used for Unity 5.2.1 - 5.5 and the other one for Unity 5.6 and above.

6. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Try re-downloading mate, it should have the profile in, has been in the last few versions

7. evilangel89

evilangel89

Nah I am on 5.5 Apparently Aquas comes with the post processing stack only when the Unity version is 5.6. Take a look at this.

UPDATE:
    AQUAS 1.4.2 is out! AQUAS can now make use of Unity's new post processing stack to render the underwater effects. For this reason AQUAS was split into two versions. The correct version is chosen automatically based on which Unity version you're using, whereby one version is used for Unity 5.2.1 - 5.5 and the other one for Unity 5.6 and above.

8. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

9. sharkapps

sharkapps

I am new to Enviro and am really impressed at the quality of the effects and ease of use! However, I am having trouble in a project using Metal (iOS). I get these two shader errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Enviro/Puddles_HQ': invalid subscript 'boxMax' at line 144 (on metal)
    3. Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Enviro/EnviroSurfaceShader/Metallic_AlphaCut': invalid subscript 'boxMax' at line 165 (on metal)
    3. Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3
    Is it necessary to purchase the mobile edition of Enviro, or is there some way to fix these shader errors for Metal projects?

Best regards,
    Tony

10. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Tony,

I am sorry I don't own a iOS device to have this tested. If you target newer mobile devices it could work if you use only 1-2 cloud layers with low quality and high "clouds rendering resolution" modificator. You maybe also could deactivate the lightshafts to get more fps. To target low end mobile you should use the mobile version of enviro. Will cost you 1$ upgrade.

About your two shader errors:
    I will have a look into these, but again can't really test on an iOS device at the moment. At the end it is only the bonus puddle shader and the sample surface shaders used in sample scene. I really would use one of the more advanced shader assets out there like: LUX(free) or UBER(paid). There is a integration component for both assets already included to synchronize your weather with your surfaces.

Best Regards,
    Hendrik

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hello Hendrik,

Thank you for the quick response. I didn't realize the mobile upgrade was only $1. i removed the desktop version of Enviro from my project and am testing with the mobile version now.

When running the EnviroShadersTest, I get these spammed in the Console:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Enviro/Mobile/AtmosphereShader): Vertex attribute normal0(1) is missing from the vertex descriptor
    2. (null)
    The weather system seems to work and clouds render in the scene, but I am unable to get the clouds to render in my game scene -- not sure why yet.

Best regards,
    Tony

12. Vondox

Vondox

Hm okay, I will investigate that error on metal and start a conversation. One moment please :)

13. evilangel89

evilangel89

I don't agree with the way aquas developer handled this. I am on 5.5 and I've been using the post processing stack since it was in beta. The package should contain both versions and let us have the ability to decide what we should use. In either case I'll be upgrading directly to 2017.1 soon so hopefully things get resolved

14. Mighto360

Mighto360

Is there a change log for the most recent update? I can't seem to find one. My problem with sounds playing before weather is finished forming doesn't seem to be fixed.

15. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Mighto360,

changelog is in version.txt after importing enviro. Oh there is a new transition settings in weather category for audio transitions in profile. Have you already tried reducing that?

16. malkere

malkere

What's the best way to go about assigning an audio mixer?
    EnviroSky.instance.AudioSourceAmbient.audiosrc.outputAudioMixerGroup = GameSettings.mixer.FindMatchingGroups("Ambient")[0];
    doesn't seem to catch hold

17. pixelR

pixelR

Hi, I experience now a very strange problem with my project, my suffering is documented in this thread: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-6-crashing-when-i-hit-play.464037

To sum up: I had Unity Edtor crashes every time I entered Play mode in the Editor. I tried many things (described in the aforementioned thread) and I ended up in the current situation where it seems my crashes are caused by Enviro 1.9.1 somehow. If Enviro is deleted from my scene and I use a standard Skybox and a directional light as sun, Play mode is running without crashing.

When I add the Enviro prefab to my scene and use the default profile, I get the crash again. It seems that always after the same time.

The case is hard because even Unity's error logs were of no use. Noo traces why it happens. At this point I'm not even sure if it's up to Enviro or some internal Unity bug, which is special to my case. Wanted to let you know anyway, before I keep on trying to find out the cause.

18. Vondox

Vondox

I will check that later and send you an example code to use audio mixer with enviro.

Hm sorry to hear that you are having that critical problems on your side.
    I don't get editor crashes on my side and I don't know of other enviro users with similar problems.

Have you already tried to updating your drivers or creating a new project only with enviro or use another unity version?

Sorry but I currently don't know how I could help you. :(

malkere likes this.
  19. Freshmeat911

Freshmeat911

You have probably already tried but Make sure you have deleted the standard main camera and light before importing enviro I know this gave me weird issues even when deleting them after importing enviro in my scene.

20. pixelR

pixelR

I know, no worries. I was just hoping that maybe someone had the same kind of strange crash before. I have tried something this morning: I deleted the Enviro package from the Asset Store cache (~/AppData/Roaming/Unity/...) and I have re-downloaded it. Then I added Enviro to the scene and I didn't see the crash in 15 minutes, which is a good sign, because it happens much faster, when it happens.

I have added then only CTS integration and entered Play mode again. When simulated time reached 23:59:30, the crash happened again

I removed the CTS integration script from Enviro and now the crash is gone again.

Now comes the weird part... I added back CTS integration and lo and behold: crash happened again when simulated time reached 23:59:28. :D I also spotted this in the stack from the error log:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 0x005d9880: 7262694c 2f797261 64616853 61437265 Library/ShaderCa
    2. 0x005d9890: 2f656863 64632f63 66663462 63353935 che/c/cdb4ff595c
    3. 0x005d98a0: 38633433 33666433 33363235 32363164 34c83df35263d162
    4. 0x005d98b0: 36663034 622e3439 00006e69 00000000 40f694.bin......
    I'm actually happy now that I got this far, as next step (because I want to have CTS integration on, obviously) I will try to re-download and re-import CTS for my soon-to-be CTS-free scene and see what happens then. Right now it seems my problem is related to a shader.

I will update this post if I find out anything that may be interesting for you too. But I suspect my project had somehow several corrupt asset updates which also led to several untraceable errors. :/

Update: phew, seems to be a success. Game's been running for ca. 15 minutes with Enviro+CTS integration without crashing. That was a tough one to smash... :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Vondox and one_one like this.
  21. Mighto360

Mighto360

I didn't even see those settings! I'll look into doing that when I get home. Thank you!

22. graphanite

graphanite

Hi Vondox,

Just bought Enviro, and it looks very nice! However, I could not get Enviro to work with Deferred Rendering, I just get a black sky with no sun or clouds. Works fine with Forward rendering. Do you know where I should look to fix this?

Thanks!

23. Vondox

Vondox

Hm that issue was fixed in 1.8.1 and it is working correct for me. Can you please check your camera commands?
    For deferred there should be a command named: "BeforeGBuffer EnviroSkyRendering". Maybe try to remove all camera commands and restart your game.

24. rockvr

rockvr

Hi, can i borrow your recorded videos? I'm one of the programmer for Video Capture. If it is convenient, you can e-mail us.

25. Vondox

Vondox

Sure, feel free to use it. Do you need the files?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  26. rockvr

rockvr

Thank you very much. If it is possible, please send me a link to download the file. Email: dev@rockvr.com

27. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

I would like to buy Enviro but first need to ask a few questions.
    1- I'm not using a normal terrain and am building a voxel game using voxel farm www.voxelfarm.com
    Do you think I can use Enviro with standard shader and without terrain and put snow on my objects ?

Does Enviro work with 2017.1 and higher when they come out? I don't want to have to stay on a unity version because of one of my assets for too long.

Cheers

28. Mighto360

Mighto360

To answer your first question, I think Enviro should work with any terrain, because it doesn't do much interacting with the terrain. It doesn't place snow on terrains, but you could do that yourself. The only visuals Enviro supplies are lighting, particles, and clouds/fog.

Enviro does work with 2017.1, and the developer releases compatibility updates not long after Unity updates are released. Enviro really is a great asset, and I encourage you to buy it.

KRGraphics, Vondox and malkere like this.
  29. Vondox

Vondox

I created a new component to add the enviro audio sources to your mixer.
    1. Add the component over the unity component menu: (Components -> Enviro -> Utility -> Audio Mixer Support)
    2. Now assign your Audio Mixer in that new component.
    3. Fill in the names of your groups in the new component. You can leave them empty if you don't want to assign a specific group for that audio source.
    upload_2017-8-29_16-49-21.png

I will include that component in next patch of course.

Attached Files:

30. graphanite

graphanite

After some tinkering around, I was able to fix it. Looks like it doesn't work in Deferred Rendering if the "Use HDR" option is disabled. I enabled it and it works beautifully :)

The command buffer Enviro Sky Rendering is listed in the Camera component even if HDR is off.

upload_2017-8-29_14-8-20.png

Vondox likes this.
  31. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks for reporting! I will have a look into that and work on a fix for next update.

graphanite likes this.
  32. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey there, I just stumbled upon your asset and I wonder if it will play nicely with assets such as UFE, which uses one camera for all of it's levels. Will I be able to access this camera at runtime if I need to? And also how great is this asset for rendering GI with enlighten?

33. malkere

malkere

Thanks for the mixer support @Vondox !

34. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

I don't see a problem using enviro with UFE for example as long as you currently don't plan to do some kind of split-screen game. Split-screen would require some modifications. You have two options to assign your camera/player dynamicly: Using a function when you start your level or use the auto assignment feature based on tags.
    Enviro will work with enlighten of course. Enviro uses a skybox shader and drives a directional light + ambient light to light your scenes.

KRGraphics likes this.
  35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I was watching the demo too and I was very impressed to see the clouds blocking the moon... very nice. And it looks user friendky

36. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi Henrik -- just fyi

I see these warnings in the console wth the latest 2017.1.0p5 Unity and the Enviro Mobile package:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Enviro - Mobile Edition/Scripts/EnviroWeather.cs(161,122): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.ParticleSystem.emissionRate' is obsolete: `emissionRate property is deprecated. Use emission.rateOverTime, emission.rateOverDistance, emission.rateOverTimeMultiplier or emission.rateOverDistanceMultiplier instead.'
    Just wanted to let you know in case you haven't looked at 2017 builds yet.

Best regards,
    Tony

37. Vondox

Vondox

Yea, I already fixed those warnings in desktop version of enviro. With the new mobile version I currently working on those warnings will be fixed too. ;)

Anyway thanks for reporting.

38. Salja

Salja

there is a documentation enviro and fog volume 3 ? thanks

39. adndima

adndima

I'm a little confused than "Enviro" is different from "UniStorm"?

40. Mighto360

Mighto360

Well, they are very similar, yes. But they are two different packages by two different developers. They are so similar because they're competing.

Personally, though, I prefer Enviro. It is less buggy, and has amazing support. It really seems like Enviro is just in a later stage of development.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    TeagansDad, malkere, adndima and 2 others like this.
  41. dashasalo

dashasalo

Anybody else having an issue with curves not persisting in the Inspector (Unity 2017.1)?

42. sharkapps

sharkapps

Yes.

43. Vondox

Vondox

I don't see this issue in 2017.1f3 release. Do you use one of the patch releases? If yes what patch exactly? Anyway I will have a look if I can find a workaround for that issue.
    Maybe you also could try to use the curve in profile directly and not in envirosky editor.

Edit: Tested in 2017.1.0p5: All curves are working fine on my side. Hm I need some more information to reproduce your issue. Do you both using unity on mac? If yes we may need to open a bug report as it looks like a unity bug for me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  44. Vondox

Vondox

Updated Fog Volume 3 Integration!

You can now create clouds and fog with one click! Credits to Adam Goodrich for his great clouds setup for Fog Volume!

(You can download the new version from this post now!)

Enviro Fog Volume Integration Component:
    upload_2017-9-2_4-39-4.png

Here are some quick screenshots:
    Grab 20170902042323 w1920h1080 x-63y93z351r297.jpg

Grab 20170902042413 w1920h1080 x-63y93z352r39.jpg

Grab 20170902043120 w1920h1080 x-51y54z508r96.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    eaque, Corvwyn, Teila and 4 others like this.
  45. jagatai33

jagatai33

Apologies if this has been asked before, but im unable to find any references, how can i reduce how dark it gets at night?

Otherwise Enviro has become an integral part of my project, thank you for such an amazing asset!

Thanks,
    -J

46. Vondox

Vondox

Nice screenshot! :)

You want to take a look in "Edit Profile" section -> "Lighting" category.

Try to use a brighter color on left half of ambient light color, or raise the left half of ambient light intensity to brighten your scene at nights in general.

The left half of gradients or curves are representing night time. The middle dusk or dawn and right half day time.

You also can try to modify left half of the direct light color and intensity to have more bright light emitted from moon, but the position of moon will change over year and so the lighting.

47. tinblue

tinblue

Does anyone recommend better environmental sounds? I am a bit disappointed in some of the audio provided by Enviro. The night time for example I have noticed is not seamless and there is a subtle but jarring hitch when the the audio starts a new loop.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  48. Vondox

Vondox

Yea you are right, the free sounds provided are more like placeholders.
    I will browse through the asset store to find some nice matching sound packages later and post if I find something that I would recommend.

49. malkere

malkere

50. gecko

gecko

I just got Next-Generation Soft Shadows (NGSS) and it's pretty cool -- and it has a couple sliders that set the shadow softness, which makes me think about having those sliders increase during clouds and rain, to create very soft, blurred shadow -- even more realistic! I tried it manually, looked really nice. Any chance you could add an NGSS integration like that?

thanks!
    Dave