Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Vondox

Vondox

No problem :)

Check Lighting category. There is a slider for shadow intensity ;)

2. rasto61

rasto61

Intensity is the curve, shadow strength is under.

Attached Files:

Teila and Vondox like this.
  3. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Hello! I'm making a Breath of the Wild Styled game (with the toony kind of shader?) and was wondering if there are any tweaks you could offer me to get a good result on lighting in my scene?

Edit: Example, I am using Reiji and Yuka from SURIYUN and the hair is waaaaay too bright.

4. Vondox

Vondox

Sounds like that the import failed and your prefab is messed up. Please reimport enviro without deleting the folder. After import add the prefab to your scene and check "lighting category". There you have gradients and curves to adjust scene lighting.

Hope that fixes your issues :)

5. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Thanks very much :)

Yeah for some reason my entire character (and I'm not sure what else) was transparent lol. I just removed all of the Enviro things from the scene, saved it and restarted and it readded then it was working again.

Edit: Oh almost forgot. Not sure if this is necessarily an enviro thing or not but:

Behold the big yellow grass objects! Lol, they are billboards right now and they seem to be lighting up when they should be dark. When I get close to them they get dark when they switch into the closer LOD one.

Do you know what is causing this? I tried searching for Billboard lighting issues but I can't find one.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. Vondox

Vondox

Hm, maybe check the shadow settings of the billboard object. If it is already set to recieve shadows it's probably something with the shader.

7. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I see the option to fix it, but idk how to edit it. Point and case:

It's all grey as you can't edit the files without it being in a prefab, but you can see "Receive Shadows" is unchecked. If I drag this object out and check it, it works.

Edit: Oh geez, I see it. I have to click "Billboard" and set it to Receive Shadows on the main object. In the LOD options. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Vondox likes this.
  8. Nano_Games

Nano_Games

Hello,
    I have bought your asset for a project and there is a slight problem with the VR integration.
    The 'flare' effect on the sun looks great, but is somehow missplaced between each eye - on the left eye it seems to point towards left, and on the right it points to the right. It gives a very confusing look, the 3d illusion is broken. Is there a way to correct it in VR?
    Somewhat similar problem occurs with regards to the clouds - they seem to 'disperse' from their position on the sky, as if they were printed on a sticker covering our headset/eyes. I don't have the headset with me right now, but will need to fix that in a couple of days. Previous pages of the topic suggest that using legacy mode may make it better, but is that really the case? And won't the legacy mode affect the performance badly?

There aren't really any pointers on the VR in your documentation, do you have some?
    I'm using SteamVR 1.2.1

9. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

sorry for the issues with VR. I am currently working on fixing these issues for 1.9.0.

Check your private messages. I will send you latest enviro version and hope that it is working better now.

10. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi, is there an offline demo of the new Enviro version? Unfortunately I have problems with the loading of the WebGL version.

11. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

sorry currently not, but will prepare a build and send you download link later.
    Hm WebGL demo is working for me on Firefox. Could take a little bit to load, maybe also make sure to close all your open tabs.

12. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Got it to work. Looks great so far. I like especially the weathers effects and the cloud layers. The fog is amazing.
    Would it be possible to have realistic sun and moon phases?

13. Vondox

Vondox

Yea you have option to use realistic sun and moon positions and can choose between realistic or custom moon phases.
    New update will also include accurate stars night sky.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

Still unable to use Aquas with Enviro. When using Enviro, my water is invisible from a distance. It works fine if I disable fog but then of course, I have a very ugly horizon.

Any work around for this? I am using a simple Aquas water prefab in the far distance so I do not care about caustics or underwater, or anything like that. I just want the plane to appear in the distance. Thanks.

15. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Teila,

Please try following:

1. Create a new material and assign Enviro/Depth shader to it. Also disable shadow recieve and casting.
    2. Create a new gameobject and add a mesh filter and mesh renderer component to it.
    3. Add the water plane mesh to the mesh filter component, add the depth material in mesh renderer component.
    4. Now scale and place the new gameobject to match your water, but move it a few units lower.

Regards :)

malkere and Teila like this.
  16. Teila

Teila

Got it. lol

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Vondox likes this.
  17. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Teila,

you can disable the shadows in mesh renderer component not in shader directly.
    It is supposed to be invisible, but it will render to camera depth texture. Just make this transform the same scale like your water plane and place it at exact the same place only 1-3 units lower.

18. Teila

Teila

Oh, I got it, sorry, did edit the post but I guess you saw it first. lol

One other question. I need to be able to see the ocean extending out from the terrain but the Enviro skybox seems to be cutting it off. Anyway I can change the scale of the skybox? Changing the camera distance does not help because the skybox just cuts it off. I tried scaling the box but it does not seem to allow me to do this.

Thanks.

19. Vondox

Vondox

No problem :)

Hm sounds strange, it should not be possible that the sky cut off your scene. It is rendered before anything else.
    Are you sure that it isn't the fog? Try to enlarge the depth plane even more and set a high viewdistance in maincamera. Please send me a screenshot if this doesn't fix your issue.

20. Teila

Teila

Well, I feel stupid. I did try increasing the camera distance with no difference. And I tried increasing the size of the depth plane with no effect. But I never did try them together. :) It works beautifully. Thank you for your time and support.

Vondox likes this.
  21. Teila

Teila

22. Vondox

Vondox

23. Teila

Teila

Thanks! Needs a bit of light baking on the city but I am happy. :)

24. JDrem1

JDrem1

@Teila

Great screen-shot. :) Looks like you have an amazing world there.

Teila likes this.
  25. malkere

malkere

Is there anyway to control the moon independent of the sun? Both simple and realistic modes seem to lock the in relation to one another. If there were a function to change moon position that would be cool.
    I see people asking for realistic movement so I understand your seeking that, I am making a fantasy game though and don't actually want it to be realistic =D Even an ability to stop the moon movement, or control different satellites independently would be awesome, so long as they all fit into the Enviro rendering pipeline properly. I'm happy to get into the code as you know ;p just haven't

Also, I never got an answer on trying to get fog to work better with the background camera. It looks great, but I have the fog set to 0-48,000 on linear, yet the fog on the background camera gets to near 100% at around 5,000. Is there math somewhere there that I can play with?

Cheers!

26. Vondox

Vondox

Hi malkere,

I have rewritten the additional satellite calculations in 1.9 to have that kind of control you seeking. However the moon that cast the light haven't a option for this in for now, but I will add that in one of the next updates.

About your fog issue. If I remember correctly you are not using enviro fog instead you are using the unity forward rendering fog, right?
    I have to test that for myself but currently I don't know how to solve your issue. Sorry...

27. malkere

malkere

I'm only using unity fog because I haven't figured out how to get Enviro fog to work with the background camera. I would very much prefer to use your fog, but it is too severe on the background camera when turned on. If I could tone that down it I don't think there are any other problems.

28. Vondox

Vondox

Have you already tried to lower the maximum fog intensity in fog category?

29. malkere

malkere

Yes, I think so. I was trying to play with intensity, max intensity, and the weather settings in runtime, but couldn't get the background camera's fog to change much at all. I'll give it another go when I get home. Do you know where the density is calculated on the background camera though? I assume it is considering it at a set position, where I'm wanting to just give it different distance math, 16 times the density to be specific. I'm not sure how fog shaders work, but they're based off distance, right? It should be possible for you or me to rig it render the fog on the background camera using it's own math, I think? I'm not clear where the fog calculation for the background camera is going on though =3

30. Vondox

Vondox

Enviro Fog is an Image Effect and will be applied on the final image, the fog density calculations are based on camera depth texture.
    Give the max fog intensity another try, maybe you have tried it before the enviro update that added background rendering feature?!
    Or take a look into EnviroFog.shader if you want to modify the calculations.

malkere likes this.
  31. malkere

malkere

I'm using 1.8.1 but the "distance fog intensity" and "maximum fog density" don't seem to have any affects on the background camera fog. The changes are of course visible in the main camera though. ? Even changing the fog start to 30,000 or fog end to 4,000 doesn't seem to affect the background camera. Will try and poke at the code

32. Vondox

Vondox

Okay I think I know why and will take a look into this later. I think the background camera currently get only be influenced by sky fog. When I implemented this I thought it would be used for distant objects where you never can travel to, but you are using it on another way I haven't thought about :D

malkere likes this.
  33. malkere

malkere

I think what you're talking about it how it would normally be used XD That's how my whole game world works though, it's very abnormal XD Thank you very much for looking at it! I just do fogEnd * 16f on my background camera when I use unity fog. It's ten times uglier than enviro though =3

34. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Did it would work with "hand-painted" texture too?
    For example, bigger tear for the rain, or hand-painted cloud. :rolleyes:

35. Vondox

Vondox

You of course can create your own texture for clouds. But I am not sure what exactly look you want to achieve, so I can't tell you if this exactly look/style is achieveable.

I will add an additional shader and option to render highly realistic high altitude clouds in one of the next updates. I created these textures in Terragen. This will maybe work better for hand painted stylized clouds.

Rain and snow are unity particle systems and can be modified how you need them for your project.

one_one likes this.
  36. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I would like to achieve a very good looking weather system, hand-painted :D
    You know what ?
    I'll purchase your system and if I'll get what I'm looking for, I'll make a video for you ;)

37. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks, that would be cool. Send me your invoice to get download link for latest version and feel free to send me a mail if you need assistance or information how things work.

38. julesd

julesd

In the demo you choose cloud 1 or cloud 2 or cloud 3. I get the impression from the demo that you can not control the amount of cloud coverage.

Is there an amount cloud coverage setting per cloud layer?

39. Vondox

Vondox

Of course, please take a look at the weather prefabs. There is a list with the cloud settings on each weather prefab. First entry is first layer and so on.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  40. Freznosis

Freznosis

@Vondox, I tried your fix for the smoother transition of lighting when it changes from daytime to nightime but it still seems to be very sudden. Is there something I maybe am doing wrong?

41. Vondox

Vondox

Hm, I will take a look later and upload a screenshot of the lighting curve. It can be tricky to get that right.

Edit:

Here is an example of the lighting curve that will reduce the light intensity before light switch.
    upload_2017-7-30_13-44-48.png
    The new profiles in 1.9.0 will have this as default.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  42. Vondox

Vondox

Update 1.9.0 uploaded to store!

I just have uploaded 1.9.0 to the store and send in for review! A lot of work gone into this update here a changelog:
    • Enviro settings and weather presets are now using scriptable objects. You can now load and save from and to profiles. In runtime and design time. Tweak your settings in runtime hit save to profile. When back in design time just hit load from profile to apply your tweaks!
    • You can easily create new fully setup profiles and weather presets!
    • Added custom inspectors for EnviroSky control component, Enviro Zone and Weather Presets!
    • Integration components for CTS - Complete Terrain Shader and Pegasus.
    • Realistic and accurate stars and night sky rotation.
    • Rewritten additional satellites orbit calculations and moon/satellite shader.
    • Added different minutes settings for day and night.
    • Added UTC Offset slider for timezones.
    • Exposed Fog Dithering settings to reduce color banding.
    • Fixed enviro VR issues. Enviro supports single and multipass VR now. Tested on HTC Vive.
    • Fixed thunder playing when already in another preset.
    • Fixed clouds lighting from moon on daytime.
    • Fixed an issue on deferred when not using HDR option.
    • Fixed error on startup when using root object as camera. Enviro Cameras will be spawned only once and put on root to not destroy connections of your controller prefabs.
    • Quite a few smaller fixes and changes.
    Here a short trailer for enviro 1.9.0:

What's next?
    I already started with a few cool new additions to enviro for 1.9.1!
    • Integration with Fog Volume 3 from David Miranda!
    • New additional clouds shader and set of highly realistic textures. This will be used to get very realistic looking high altitude clouds!
    • Improvements to the new Inspectors based on user feedback.

Now I need to rewrite most parts of documentation... Let's start :D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  43. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

WOW!!! Integration with Fog Volume 3!!! Amazing your a machine! ;) Looks fantastic!

Vondox likes this.
  44. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Hi Vondox,

Is Next-Gen Soft-Shadows supported? I know Fog Volume 3 supports it! That would be amazing!

45. Vondox

Vondox

Yea should work just fine out of the box. I have costumer using this with enviro. :)

Shodan0101 likes this.
  46. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Fantastic!! Thx

47. Vondox

Vondox

I have just uploaded a new video showing enviro setup, creation and working with profiles and weatherpresets.

I hope it can become useful when update got released. Everyone who don't want to wait can send me his invoice number and get a download link for latest version in return ;)

48. JDrem1

JDrem1

Fantastic.
    Thank you for this.

A Really helpful tutorial for one of the best plug-ins on the store. :)

Vondox likes this.
  49. Vondox

Vondox

Enviro 1.9.0 was released on asset store!

Hope you like the new features, improved workflow and VR fixes of course. I would appreciate your feedback to improve even more :)

I will try to finish the new documentation as soon as possible.

frbrz likes this.
  50. BruceBarratt

BruceBarratt

1.9 seems awesome. Looks beautiful. Much easier to customize and sync in with my game. Thanks so much for this.

I was just wanting to automatically move my tonemapper component below the enviro components when envior is initialized. Please could we have an initialise event that comes after the enviro components are added or after enviro is completely initialised?

For now I'm going to modify the script unless anyone has a better way.

malkere, Freznosis and Vondox like this.