Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Vondox

Vondox

Enviro - The complete dynamic AAA sky and weather solution!

Very easy setup:
    Just drag-and drop into your scene and assign your main camera or use the runtime assignment features.

Profile System:

Enviro's new profile system makes tweaking your sky as easy as possible. Tweak settings in runtime and save to profile. Load profiles in design and runtime. Create different profiles for different scenes or share your configurations with other user.

Day-Night cycle:

Enviro supports a realistic day-night cycle. With correct sun and moon positions with full location support with latitude and longitude. You have options to use your system time or let enviro update time based on realtime minutes.

Skybox:
    Enviro includes an advanced fast atmospheric skybox shader to get great looking skies! You got a lot of options to tweak the sky and even can setup funky alien skies!

Lighting:
    Enviro will realisticly light your scene based on sun altitude. You have complete control over light intensity and color by modifying curves and gradients right in editor! You also can choose between different ambient light modes of course.

Seasons:
    Enviro will change seasons and got a components to swap out gameobject, materials and textures of unity terrain. You are not limited to realistic settings! You can set the amount of days each season last.

Clouds:
    Enviro new volumetric cloud system is based on latest cloud rendering papers. These will bring you sky to life and offer plenty options to customize. In addition there are also fast flat clouds options to mix or use for maximum performance.
    Note: No fly-through at the moment. Planned for later update!

Volumetric Lighting:
    Need some volume light effects you see in AAA games? No problem, enviro support volumetric lihting for directional, point and spot lights out of the box!

Fog:
    Need stunnishing looking fog? Enviro includes an advanced light scattering fog image effect with distance, height and sky fog support. Need fog on your transparent material? No problem, with only a few lines of code you could modify your own transparent shaders to be fogged correctly. And a few particle and transparent shaders already included to get you started!

Weather:
    Enviro includes a very powerfull weather system. You can create your own weather types and drive light, sky, fog and clouds. Enviro supports all kind of unity shuriken particle effects to give you the freedom to create any weather effect you can think of. It includes 11 premade weather types including: Clear Sky, cloudy, raining, stormy, snowy and foggy weather. You can enable lightning storms and choose different ambient and weather sounds for each weather with smooth transitions.

Virtual Reality:

Enviro supports multi and singlepass stereoscopic rendering! Tested on Oculus Rift.

Networking:

Enviro support UNet, Mirror and Photon out of the box. It will synchronize time and weather with all your players. Enviro also got an minimal mode for headless servers to only calculate time and weather but nothing more.

That's not all! Enviro includes a lot more great features:
    * Event system for you game logic.
    * Weather Zones. Create as many zones with their own weather for your biomes.
    * Orbiting satellites.
    * Vegetation Growth.

And you can use a lot of awesome 3rd-party assets right of the box with the included enviro components:

* Gaia Compatible!
    * CTS Integration!
    * Pegasus Trigger!
    * Playmaker Actions!
    * Relief Terrain Shader Integration!
    * UBER Shader Integration!
    * MegaSplat Shader Integration!
    * Lux Shader Integration!
    * Photon Network Integration!

Requirements:

* Support gamma and linear color space.
    * Support forward and deferred rendering.
    * Support for legacy and LWRP/URP 5+ render pipeline.
    * Working on DX9, DX11, DX12, OpenGlCore, Metal and Vulkan.
    * Volumetric Lighting requires at least shader-model 3.5+ and will be deactivated on DX9. Volumetric Lighting not supported in LWRP/URP yet.
    Documentation:
    Click here!

Need support?

If you got questions or feature requests, feel free to ask here!
    For support please send a mail: vondox@live.de

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Kojote and AdamGoodrich like this.
  2. paulojsam

paulojsam

do you have a utube video showing it please

3. Vondox

Vondox

I will create one later today, no problem :)

4. sicga123

sicga123

Well I bought and downloaded the package but forgot to rename it to unitypackage and had a bit of a problem due to a misunderstanding on my part. The developer has now chnaged the download on selfy to a rar, however, if it opens as a .tar one need only rename the file from .tar to .unitypackage. No doubt those of you more upto date than I would know this anyway.

Rather a good asset and well worth the cost on selfy.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  5. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, thanks for your purchase.
    Sorry that it wasn't clear how to handle the downloaded file. I corrected the download so you don't need to rename it anymore :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi, does this have any conflict with TerrainComposer?

7. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, it works great with TerrainComposer. One thing to note is that Enviro doesn't support builtinTerrainTrees in current version. But its on my todo list! So at the moment you would need to place vegetation with the ObjectPlacement of TerrainComposer.

8. Vondox

Vondox

ENVIRO got released in AssetStore!

Buy now!

Coming soon in Update 1.1:

- Minor change in GrowthSimulation for better scale handling.
    - Support for ReliefTerrain Shaders.(Seasonal presets, dynamic snow and wetness).
    - EnviroSurface Shader! Set of shaders for dynamic snow and wetness on all your meshes!
    (Tesslation/AlphaCut/Transparent/Emission versions using Unity5 lighting)
    - EnviroPuddles! Dynamic puddles with own shaders using Unity5 lighting. (DepthBlend/Masked)

W.I.P webplayer showing new HQ-Shaders:

Click here...

9. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Hi there,

would be interested but want to wait how you are going to implement RTP support and handling TerrainTrees.

Any ETA?

Thx in advance
    Wyl

10. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Wylaryzel,
    I will send v1.1 to AssetStore the next week. At the moment i optimize the new shaders and update the documentation.
    With 1.1 RTP is fully supported. You just need to add a script to your RTP Terrain and define the RTP presets for the different seasons. You create in RTP one preset for summer one for fall and so on. Dynamic snow and wetness is handled by the weather system you can define the wetness and snowiness for each weatherpreset you created. When its start to rain or snow it will raise the wetness and snowstrenght slowly for your RTP Terrain.
    About TerrainTrees:
    I already checked out how to implement this but came to the conclusion that it would be a mess to setup a lot of different trees and you also loose the exact controll of each tree instance you have with the prefab based system ENVIRO uses. With current system i create a new tree in less than two minutes and can adjust the settings like growspeed, scale and age easy and fast. With Object painting tools (like "Prefab Brush" free on assetstore) it is easy to paint these trees onto your terrain and you can adjust the settings for each tree easy and fast. So at the end you loose controll and comfort using TerrainTrees over prefab based trees with ENVIRO.

If you got more questions or need more information how ENVIRO works and if its the right product for your project feel free to mail me at vondox@live.de

11. Vondox

Vondox

Update 1.1 got released!

Changelog:

* EnviroTerrainSeasons can handle normalMaps now if wished.
    * Smoother weather changes!
    * New Feature: EnviroWeatherShaders
    * New Feature: Enviro dynamic puddles with shader and ReflectionProbe script.
    * New Feature: Support for Relief Terrain Shaders (Dynamic wetness, snow and seasons with RTP Presets)
    * New Sample Scene and a GUI for changing time, weather and seasons.
    * Define the lenght of seasons in days.
    * Some minor fixes and improvements.

12. Duffer123

Duffer123

Does this asset, which looks great, support Playmaker with Playmaker actions etc? It would be revolutionary if it did!

13. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Duffer123,
    at the moment there is no Playmaker integration. But I will look too add some Playmaker Actions in next update with some other changes to make ENVIRO even easier to implement and use.

14. Duffer123

Duffer123

Perfect. Watching closely... ;)

15. Vondox

Vondox

Just want to inform you for incoming Update 1.3 features!

Surface Shaders:
    * rework of the surface shaders
    * added wetness to the mask
    * added Detail albedo and normal using one of the mask channels.
    * added Occlusion Maps

Clouds:
    * New advanced cloud shader faking volumetric clouds with nice lighting.
    * New mobile shader for clouds

Weather:
    * Weatherpresets can be saved as prefabs now. Just copy a prefab, alter it and add it to the list to create a new weathertype!
    * Weather sfx fades smoothly in and out
    * Redone Weather Particle Effects
    * Lit Particle Shader

General:
    * Easiest possible setup. Just drag and drop prefab and assign your player. Done!

Planned:
    * Wizard to create growing vegetation to make this really easy and fast.
    * Playmaker integration

Two screenshots with new clouds:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Wylaryzel likes this.
  16. Vondox

Vondox

I finished with new update! Should be online in the next days.
    I will update the documentation now too.

Changelog:

new webplayer:
    http://www.space-pirate.de/Enviro/WEB.html

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  17. Vondox

Vondox

Update 1.3 is online now!
    Please delete old package and reimport to get rid of old unneeded files! New documentation will follow soon.

18. Vondox

Vondox

New documentation and video is online!
    Check it out ;)

19. one_one

one_one

Is the part about "ambient light" in the documentation still valid? If so, does it control the "ambient intensity" and does it set the ambient mode to "color"?
    I'm actually a bit surprised that this asset didn't get any more attention, it seems like an extensive weather and time solution. I'm very tempted to try this out when I get to the stage where I'll need a weather system.

Does Enviro use events (the C# kind) for seasons? Because I'd love to use it to take care of anything visual that's based on seasons and the time of day. Think street lights, crops (as terrain vegetation), additional snow meshes for winter but also things like the Horizon[On] terrain changing with the season. That would make it possible for every user to extend the system for their use case. EDIT: Ah, woops, just saw that you have a season-sensitive GO swapper for that. But still, events could be useful for things where you wouldn't want to swap entire prefabs/GO but rather change some other logic. Maybe also with events such as "snow" to only then replace water with ice, change footstep sounds, spawn snow meshes etc.

And, at last, a minor and a major comment on the visuals: The minor one is that the snow particles look cartoon-y, snow flakes that large aren't a single crystal. The major one is that the clouds are very mediocre. It's something I could live with for now, but I'm thinking this might be one of the main reasons why this asset isn't being used more often.

As for which assets should probably be supported/tested for support on top of the ones you already do(in my opinion): Stix' grass shader, Ceto and Horizon[On]

EDIT: Okay, I'm guessing it's because the update was only a few days ago and it looks like a huge improvement.
    By the way, are the seasons lerp-able? At least for the values that can be lerped such as colors.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  20. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    the documentation for version 1.3 (linked in main post) is still valid but not finished yet. I will add more information in the next days. You can control the ambient intensity over the EnviroSky script. The "color" will be changed by the system based on time.

At the moment there are no C# events. But that's a good idea to improve the system and will be added soon.
    You can check the current time, season, weather conditions with a single line of code in your own scripts for now. For example ("EnviroMgr.instance.seasons.currentSeasons" for seasons) I will add a coding section in the documentation soon.

For snow and wetness: You can define the maximum snowiness and wetness in each weather preset. The system will lerp this values over time to get a smooth transition from dry to wet for example. You also can check this values with a single line of code in your scripts.

About the visuals: The snow effect when near to camera is cartoonish indeed^^ The effects using Shuriken Particle Systems. You can easily swap out the texture. I may change this to a more realistic in the next update (1.3.2)
    The clouds got a major overhaul in last update.

About the assets you mentioned. I doesn't own a copy of these at the moment and can't test. I may buy a license of some of them and add a proper integration in future.

About the lerping of seasons: The system just change seasons based on days (You can define how many days each season lasts) The season components can just activate/deactivate gameobjects, swap materials or textures(terrain). Only the "Relief Terrain Shaders" components lerp smoothly between seasons. Its a feature of the shader itself to lerp between presets.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    one_one likes this.
  21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Looks interesting - cant get your 1.3 demo to work. Seems to get stuck on final bit of downloading.

22. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    thats strange, its working for me with Firefox and Opera...
    I have uploaded a webplayer of latest update. I tested with latest 5.3.1f1 webplayer and everything is working fine.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  23. fatality674

fatality674

Before i buy, how modular is Enviro? I want to use the weather effects/system but want to use a separate time of day/skybox system.

How difficult would it be to do this? I bought Unistorm in the past and the thing is a nightmare to rip apart and get working.

The demos look very impressive!

24. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    wouldn't be very difficult. You can deactivate the "features"(Skydome,Moon,Sun,Stars) you don't want to use in your scene. Would need to change a line in EnviroWeather Script to use the time of the other system and may need to delete a line in EnviroSky script for ambientLight.
    If you need help with these changes or have problems you can mail me for support.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  25. fatality674

fatality674

Lovely jubly. Purchased it today and currently looking into it. If i end up using it for this project and tie it into Time of Day successfully, I'll email you a mini guide of what I needed to change (in the case of someone else asking the same sort of question). I will also be using Gaia so will also look into PBL shader support with the terrain texture spawning module.

So far so good though. Much more user friendly than other weather systems I have tried in the past.

Cheers!

26. norby

norby

Good work, do you have Cumulus clouds ?

Thanks

Norby

27. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks, good idea with the mini guide.

Thanks,
    you can setup the cloud coverage form clear to overcast and setup color, light influence, alpha and wind / morphing speed. for each weatherpreset. So you can a have partial clouded sky but no configs to add real cloud formations.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  28. Fuccess

Fuccess

Hi there,

I've bought UniStorm a long time ago without truly using it, but now I need it for a new project and it gives me tons of errors on the latest version of Unity. So I was looking for another weather system and found Enviro, which looks really good.

But I have a few questions before I buy it:
    1. Is it tested with latest version of Unity?
    2. My project is a kind of strategy game. The camera would be looking at the terrain from above, so I don't really need all sky stuff (like volumetric clouds). Is it possible to disable some features?
    3. Can volumetric clouds be used as volumetric fog above the terrain?
    4. How does the vegetation growth system works? Do we have to feed it with tree prefabs? How does it know where to make it grow? Does it work with terrain grass too?
    5. The season system seems to affect the tree in your screenshots. Does it work with any Unity tree?
    6. Are sources included?
    Sorry for the long list of questions :)

29. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

1. I have tested with 5.3.1p1 and its working expect the surfaceshaders need a little fix. Go through the shaders and change "unity_LightGammaCorrectionConsts_PIDiv4" to "UNITY_PI / 4.0". I will upload a fixed version for 5.3.1p1 later on Asset Store. You also can get the fixed shaders from me per mail.

2. You can easily disable the sky, stars and clouds.

3. No that's not possible, sorry.

4. You need to create a prefab with the script attached and attach/assign the tree models you want to use. You save this to a prefab and place it on your terrain.

5. It works with all kind of models. Unity Trees, SpeedTrees or what ever. SpeedTrees often have seasonal trees included or you create them with the SpeedTree Modeler.

6. All sources are included.

I hope you are still interested in Enviro. If you need help to integrate the weather system with your game send me a mail.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  30. iddqd

iddqd

Looking very cool. Especially the snow/puddles and RTP features are looking great!

Vondox likes this.
  31. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Does it work with Ceto Ocean or/and PlayWay Water?

EDIT: Can I have a glympse at Playmaker actions? (gorgeous that you made it) Is it possible to activate wtness shader (also via playmaker), on the ground, without rain? I am interested in using it with another weather system which doesn't have wetness/snow shaders.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  32. Teila

Teila

Hi! I am seriously considering buying this. It does everything I need it do, or so it looks like it in the documentation.

I have a question though.

I noticed you plan to add the C# code but have yet to add it. Is that something that will happen in the near future?

Also, at night can we make the ground darker? Are there sliders to control night and day light on the terrain?

Thanks so much.

Nevermind...Until they fix 5.3, I can't buy it. :(

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  33. Vondox

Vondox

Hi jeremiasz,
    i doesn't have a copy of Ceto Ocean or PlayWay Water at the moment and can't test. But i don't see any problems. I may add a integration in future to link Enviro's weather system with the ocean.

The weather shader are controlled by a little script that checks and sets a simple float (wetness and snowstrenght range from 0 to 1). You can write your own little controllscript based on that and link it to the other weather system. Or I think you can use playmaker to modify the weather shader materials directly.

Hi Teila,

Enviro is written in c# and full source are included. I talked about events to use in your own scripts and logic. For example : OnWeatherChange() At the moment you will need to check the current weather and write your own logic. This will return the current active weather = "EnviroMgr.instance.EnviroWeather.currentactiveWeather".
    I will add events in near future but can't give an eta.

You can control both the moon and sunlight intensity and the ambient light intensity. For darker nights you have to setup a low moon light intensity.

Enviro should work with older Unity 5 versions. If there are any problems with older versions tell me and i will send you a quick fix for this version.

34. Teila

Teila

Thanks!!! I really like this and want it. lol

I am also glad to see you back. I was afraid this was another dropped asset that would not be updated again.

35. Vondox

Vondox

No problem.
    There will be new updates for sure. I am also open for user feature requests.

36. Reiner

Reiner

when comes the next update?

Greetz Reiner

37. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Reiner,

I am still working on update 1.4 and should be finished this week.
    Update 1.4 will include c# events requested by christoph_r. At the moment your scripts can listen to weather, seasons changes and day/night changes. I also added a new inspector script to link your functions to these events in editor.

Update 1.4 will also include mobile optimizations and better flat cloud lighting at evening. I also will upload an .apk for testing and upload an updated documentation with scripting informations.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    one_one and Teila like this.
  38. daschatten

daschatten

Hi Vondox,

i really like your enviro asset! But as always there is room for improvements:

1. Missing c# events (ok, comes in 1.4, but can you add events for time changes (at least hours))
    2. EnviroSeasonObjectSwitcher does checks for season changes in Update(), this will slow down the game with many (really many) objects. Maybe this could be moved to a central object which manages alle seasonal objects
    3. Seasonal lerping: why replace all objects at once? You could add a setting for this, so let's say summer is 90 days and autumn is 90 days and lerping is set to 10 days. In summer on day 85 the manager from 2. could replace about 10% of the seasonal objects. On day 86, another 10% is replaced. In autumn on day 5 alle seasonal objects are replaced.
    4. Sky: the sky looks very roundish. Tenkoku looks ways better. Is there a way to change this?
    5. The effects are all spawned in runtime (Gameobject "Effect Holder"). In my oppinion a prefab would make more sense, especially if you would do some advanced things like using an audio mixer for all audio sources and you don't want to mess with the code :)
    What do you think about them?

Thank you,
    daschatten

39. Vondox

Vondox

Hi daschatten,

thanks for your feedback!

1. I already added time events. Will be included in 1.4

2/3. In 1.4 the season scripts using the new events. But i really like your idea with "lerping" seasons and will implement such a feature in near future.

4. I think you talk about the clouds that far away. I already have a few ideas for improvements. For now you can modify the y scale of the volume clouds to lets say -0.5. This will look like this:

You can also play with the "Horizont Blending" shader value. Tell me what you think, i try to improve all parts of enviro over time ;)
    I will improve clouds in 1.4 and also add new options for sky height calculation.

5. I changed this to runtime generation to make Enviro really simple to setup and easy to create new weathertypes. But a prefab only for the audiosources that can be modified in project and will get instantiated on runtime is a good idea. I will implement this in 1.4!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  40. daschatten

daschatten

Hi Vondox,

by changing y scale of the volume clouds and adjusting the horizont blending i get better results.

I'm looking forward to your next release!

Thank you!
    daschatten

41. Vondox

Vondox

A quick update for 1.4:

Current Changelog:
    I also worked on another new feature. A fog image effect implementation. Based on Unity's GlobalFog wih additional features like scattering, tonemapping, and sky blending.

Here are some wip screenshots from 1.4:

Teila likes this.
  42. Teila

Teila

Very very nice!! Hate to be one of those people, but when do you think it will be updated? lol

43. daschatten

daschatten

OMG, I really need to play with 1.4! When is the release? ;)

If he shows us such images he has to expect those questions :cool:

44. Vondox

Vondox

I will give my best to finish this until end of this week. I am a bit busy in the next days but should be possible. I am sorry for the delay but i wanted to add a few more fixes and new fog in 1.4 before release.

Deleted User, daschatten and Teila like this.
  45. Teila

Teila

I am sure it will be wonderful when it is released. :)

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, does your system support multiple suns, moons, or other satellite objects?

47. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Are Snow Rain effects camera effects or how do they work? The question comes up because I am wondering if Enviro Rain / Snow effects do work with a Terrain Shader like Distingo.

48. Teila

Teila

If they are shaders, they won't work with Distingo. You could, however, write script to change the shader when you need the effects.

Shaders are limited to a certain number of passes. As an early tester of Distingo, I know that that shader is at it's limit. So you cannot add snow or anything else to it. So you would have to turn it off and replace it with a snow shader. That is how RTP does it I believe and that is why you can save presets and code them change.

RonnyDance likes this.
  49. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thx for claryfing Teila. But thats exactly why I am asking if the effects are camera effects or shaders.
    I need dynamic weather effects like rain and snow in my world and I need a good terrain shader like distingo. As far as I cann see without turning on off shaders and switching between them it's not possible to user weather effects with Terrain Shaders like Distingo. I own RTP which would also do it in some way but well I am searching for a lightweight alternative.

Cheers
    Ronny

50. Teila

Teila

Rain and snow coming down from the sky is particle effects attached to the player, so camera effects. The snow piling on the ground is a shader effect.

Are you sure you can't turn off a shader through script? You would have to write your own, of course.