Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Emerald AI 3.2 (New Sound Detection) - The Ultimate Universal AAA Quality AI Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jun 26, 2015.

1. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Line of sight sounds cool. I wonder if you can tap into Wind to have a "The Animal can smell me because the wind carries my scent directly in their direction, therefore can smell me"

2. julianr

julianr

Is there a pool system? I've not had a chance to use Emerald yet, but will do so once the next release is ready. Loving the features you are adding, can see this used for many types of games, not just Animals. I like the way you are making it for both Animals/Creatures and Human NPCs.

There is not a one stop solution for all types of AI and in detail, that interact with each other and the players.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  3. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hi. So I got Emerald. In the future I'm planing some animals that wouldn't like to live in the cold. So I was thinking that it would be good if there is some way to create a collider with a Unistorm script that defines the temperature within it. And if maybe there is or will be a way to define the temperature in which each animal would live and have certain animals in Emerald migrate to the nearest "heat zone" to hibernate when it gets too cold for them. Maybe have those animals die if they don't reach it in a set period of time.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  4. BHS

BHS

There's no pool system at the moment. However, we may create one in the near future. Until then, I'm sure one of the ones available on the Asset Store will work for instantiating and deleting NPCs.

Yes, and that's why we try to make our system as well rounded as possible.

It's entirely possible. We love finding ways we can further extend UniStorm with external scripts and this sounds interesting. We would like to create more example scripts with UniStorm and Emerald functioning together. Give us sometime tomorrow and we will create a few example script that will demo UniStorm and Emerald working together, including animals reacting to the temperature. We will add them to both wiki sites when we get a chance tomorrow.

reocwolf likes this.
  5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

If you make something like this, could you please expose it so those of us who have other weather / day/night systems can use it as well? Would love a feature like this but unfortunately I'm tapped out for Asset Store purchases for a bit so kinda stuck working with what I already have. :)

6. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Today is my first time using this asset. I just took a look at the demos. I have a comment on the prey and predator example. I saw the predators make a kill, but then then they wandered off. I would like to see them stay and feed. Maybe have a hunger value, and they stay until they have eaten enough to zero their hunger value.

7. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I see that you can assign a sound when an animal gets hit. I would also like to be able to add a sound for when an animal attacks.

==update==
    Using the prey and predator demo scene, I have added a get hit sound to the prey. It is not playing when they get hit. What might I be doing wrong?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  8. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I see that making an object an Animal AI adds both a box collider and a sphere collider. What is the reason for this? Are they used for different purposes? Or should I be choosing one that best fits and remove the other?

9. BHS

BHS

Animal vitals is something we are working on after our next update. We would like to fully implement a hunger system where animals will hunt/graze until their vitals values are full.

I'm not sure why your get hit sound isn't working, it should be.

With Emerald 1.2, our upcoming version, we have greatly improved sounds. Emerald will support up to 20 sound for attacking (This can be grunts, shouts, roars, growls, etc.), 20 sound for getting hit, a weapon sound effect for swinging or swooshing weapon sounds, dead sound, and more. The pitch of this is also randomized based on the settings within the editor making each sound unique.

Here's a screenshot of part of the new Sound Options of Emerald:
    Sound Options.png

They are both needed and I'll explain why.

The box collider is used for detecting hits from other AI and the player. The sphere collider is used for radius detecting (hunt triggering, flee triggering, etc).

99thmonkey likes this.
  10. MrGky93

MrGky93

is it possible that it come this week ??

11. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Check out this WIP asset. Maybe a collaboration would be beneficial. I volunteer to help test such a collaboration.

12. JFR

JFR

My vote: all of the above!

Buying this asset on faith. I have been impressed by Unistorm and the responsiveness of the developper. For us it will be UFPS, Suimono, Unistorm and Emerald A.I.. For Boss fights we will use RAIN. I am sure that Emerald A.I. will keep on improving, exciting times indeed.

13. julianr

julianr

I was looking at switching my current AI system to Emerald as there are some cool features being added, but noticed there are no death animation options in 1.1, how long before 1.2 is out?

14. BHS

BHS

We will look into this. Sounds like a cool idea.

Yes, we will keep the awesome features coming. Release time shouldn't be too much longer. We want to make sure everything is flawless.

Great to hear. If you need the death animation sooner, we can add it for you.

It shouldn't be more than a couple weeks. We'd like to fine tune Emerald to make sure it's perfect.

15. julianr

julianr

Yes! That would be great. I've dropped you a PM.

16. julianr

julianr

@BHS - In the next version do you have a setting that will allow you to reduce the speed of the animation? I have a zombie walk animation that is slower than 0.5 (min setting), so if I can slow down the animation or speed it up to the value of the walking then it will look more realistic and not produce the skating effect.

17. BHS

BHS

We will add it to our list for the next update. Until then, you can edit this yourself by opening up the Emerald Editor script and finding the animation name line using the script search tool. When you find it you will see two float values within the slider min and max value, the min will be 0.5f. You can change this min value to anything you need. It will then change it for the editor.

If you can't fix this with our temporary solution, PM us and we will fix it for you.

18. julianr

julianr

Thanks - I should be able to manage. But I'll wait for the next release when you have Death animations added. If not already added, might be worth having the option to leave a number of gameObjects after death which could be picked up by the players inventory system, and also the option to remove the NPC after (x) number of seconds, or leave the NPC on the ground after death as well as a death decal.

19. BHS

BHS

We will be adding support for hunting and gathering with our 1.2 update part 2. We will also add an example script of how to do so.

julianr likes this.
  20. BHS

BHS

We are currently working on full integration with UniStorm and will provide examples via the Emerald wiki. This will allow you to accessing UniStorm, or other weather systems, to affect certain NPC/Animal actions or events. This can be something like animal's flee distance is less when it's raining, night, or foggy. Or an animal's flee time is less because it's too hot or too cold. These will all be possible and we will provide examples.

If anyone has suggestions for examples, please post them here and we will be sure to add them.

21. julianr

julianr

What about taking cover when certain conditions are met with UniStorm. If it rains or snows then you could optionally set the AI to go to a specific location or marker. (e.g bear goes to a cave), or a human NPC could take shelter in a building. Darkness falls (some animals come out at night, others hide)

22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I like where you are going with the flee distance/time. Would it be possible to also do something like a home area? For example for wolves, maybe I would create an empty game object with a collider that is under a rock overhang or in a small cave. Then I could drag that collider object to a home field. Then when weather is inappropriate for the animal, the animal could return home.. Or maybe just look for a tagged area and have the animal seek shelter when raining or snowing. Would just need a way to configure on a per-animal basis as some animals don't seem to mind bad weather.

Same would be good for nocturnal animals during the day and diurnal animals would escape to shelter/home during the night and be active during day.. Similarly bear could be set to hibernate in the winter, be more aggressive in the spring after waking up hungry, and have a normal behavior during the summer and autumn.

EDIT: lol... I was interrupted in the middle of typing my response with a phone call... Pretty much ditto what @julianr said... :)

99thmonkey and julianr like this.
  23. julianr

julianr

maybe add a generic option also not affected by weather, if animal/npc is below a certain health - retreat to safe area/marker. Markers could be generic with a collider box or sphere and have options such as replenish health, equip a weapon or run a custom script.

BHS likes this.
  24. thenamesace

thenamesace

Ok so here is what I am getting:

Animals attack and kill each other just fine , But don't attack player "UFPS" have followed wiki I can kill them but they don't attack me! ..have checked tags player is tagged as "Player" have changed the 3 lines of code as per the wiki but its like they can not see me?

also using the player weapon's script you don't even need a weapon in your hand to kill animals just get in range and click the mouse button .

Hoping that this will all be sorted in 1.2 updates

EDIT: have got them attacking player "UFPS" and causing damage but now I can not attack them! all I did was try a different model (same as is used in the video demo "the bear") and he will attack me but I can not hurt him? ...I swear all I have done is changed the model lol

EDIT2: Ha got it ok the other models had the box collider around them but the new ones only had a small 1x1x1 box to hit so increase that around the model and bam I can now kill it!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  25. Teila

Teila

When do you think you will have mecanim support? This is a huge issue for us and forcing us to try different methods. Thanks.

26. MrGky93

MrGky93

hope the release come this year :)

thenamesace likes this.
  27. BHS

BHS

Great to hear you figured it out.

We should be able to release the first part of 1.2 within the next week or two. The next update will be released shortly after and will only contain the addition of Mecanim support. This will help us to release it sooner without having new features get it the way. We realize that Mecanim support is important so we'll be sure to get it done asap.

Yes, way before the end of the year.

julianr, thenamesace and Teila like this.
  28. Recon03

Recon03

How well does this work with mobile any idea anyone??

29. julianr

julianr

Hows it coming along, still plan to release in the next few days?

30. BHS

BHS

We have had a couple customers use it for mobile and they said it worked great.

We got a little behind because of our UniStorm update. Our UniStorm 2.1 update will be submitted within the next few days. Then we will be submitting Emerald 1.2 shortly after.

31. julianr

julianr

sounds good. Just sorting out my workload for the next few weeks so will be good to start using this. I was hoping to get it in my game release in the next week, but may need to put it in as an update. Worth waiting for though.

32. Houp

Houp

Is there any playable demo? (webplayer, PC build)

33. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

ditto here once this is in I'm buying for sure.i'd like the option to spawn different enemies based on a conditio of if it is night or day or to spawn always.

34. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

How close is 1.2 to release?

35. MrGky93

MrGky93

something about newss ?? What time it maybe coming ??

36. BHS

BHS

Now that we have finished our UniStorm update, we will finish Emerald 1.2. It shouldn't be too long. We will post more details and talk about an ETA sometime next week.

37. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

C'mon Mecanim.lol, just letting ya know we're still watching, and can't wait for an update.

Keep up the good work, I like what I see so far, but will hold off integration until 1.2.

julianr likes this.
  38. BHS

BHS

Thanks. We are currently working on finalizing Emerald 1.2. We will do what we can to have it submitted asap.

BackwoodsGaming and kurotatsu like this.
  39. MrGky93

MrGky93

hope this year the year will ending in few weeks

40. BHS

BHS

Emerald 1.2 will be submitted before the end of the year, most likely sooner.

MrGky93 and kurotatsu like this.
  41. Tethys

Tethys

We too are watching this asset and waiting for this big update. We want to use Emerald but need to be able to use other pathfinding options so we waited for the 1.2 update. Can't wait to try Emerald, with the integration to Unistorm we may drop Time Of Day and switch to Unistorm as well!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  42. Houp

Houp

I am interested in this module but videos did not help me to decide if it is worth it. I would like to see a demo app. (Maybe I have just missed link)

I have question. Do you use charactercontroller for animals or do you have some own solution?

43. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Has this been submitted yet?

Kinda
    feels as no one is gonna be able to get any significant work done before xmas, though I could be wrong. I'm pulling for ya guys, I bought it, now can't wait to try it.

44. MrGky93

MrGky93

They need sometimes and when they finished it need i think 5 days to approve it in asset store

45. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

That's my point. Even if submitted today, 5 days from that will be the 15th, 10 days from that is xmas, and 6 days from that is new years.

Just trying to get an idea for scheduling on our end, while trying to remain supportive.

Tethys and MrGky93 like this.
  46. montyfi

montyfi

Hi @BHS, I have a little bit difficulties in using another animal AI and looking for alternatives. Could your system:
    1. Work without navmesh?
    2. Randomize animal path but check colliders on its way and change waypoints accordingly.
    3. Support Pool Manager
    4. Do you have trial version? I would buy you system instantly (especially I have already own Unistorm), but I would like to check if I can actually use it.

Tethys likes this.
  47. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

What animals are you using in all the videos and pictures as no animals come with the package? Is it the Protofactor ones? Would be great if you had prefabs set up for whatever animal package you are using in the screen shots so that if I own the animals I don't have additional set up to do.

BackwoodsGaming and kurotatsu like this.
  48. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I second this,

3D forge started making prefabs in the same manner, then you just have to buy the package and import it into your project and download the prefabs from his site for free that don't have the content included, so when you import the prefab/blueprints unity makes all the associations for you and presto, a working element.

49. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Unbelievable :), this is exactly what I was thinking when I restarted reading this thread yesterday. I read all posts trying to work out which assets the animals and the soldiers were from.

Once again, I am looking forward to 1.2 coming out and its integration with Unistorm.

50. Razputin

Razputin

Is there anyway to stop it generating waypoints off nav mesh? It keeps generating them ontop of unclimable mountains which bugs the Ai out leading them to just run into the wall over and over. Or stop it from generating above certain heights.

Video for clarity.

Same thing happens on steep drops. Then the AI just runs in place like this.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015