Search Unity

[RELEASED] Emerald AI 3.2 (New Sound Detection) - The Ultimate Universal AAA Quality AI Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jun 26, 2015.

1. AVVelior

AVVelior

Bravo ! The function of adding an arbitrary number of animations to the state of damage and death is super !!! But when can we expect to add additional annotations for the Attack and Block state with the (+) button? This is very necessary. And another question: when you can expect the appearance of animations strafe (shift) left and right for Unit?

2. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

How do I use this with a dynamic terrain that has no navmesh? For example I've been using MapMagic for quite some time for procedural terrain and today purchached Crux & Emerald hoping to use them together however I'm flooded with messages about missing nav meshes.

3. BHS

BHS

Thanks! There are plans to add a similar system to the attack animations with a future update. Also, I can't see the image you posted.

Hey there!

Crux works great with procedurally generated terrains. It was used in Crux's demo videos. Emerald AI requires that a terrain be baked with Unity's NavMesh in order to work.

Unity has recently released Nav Mesh that is capable of being baked during runtime. In order to use Emerald AI with procedurally generated terrains, it will need to have its Nav Mesh be baked during runtime. For a guide on how to do this, see Unity's tutorial here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/navigation/baking-navmesh-runtime.

4. DarkArts-Studios

DarkArts-Studios

Thank you, I came to the same conclusion after a bit of googling :) Glad to know I'm on the right track, I've got stuck in the Unity version I'm used to (5.6) so I'm busy downloading 2017.3 now and will begin upgrading this project to use that, in order to leverage runtime navmesh baking.

BHS likes this.
  5. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hey guys. There's an experiment I want to make with Emerald. Would event allow to create an enemy that teleports to their next location instead of moving towards it and activate some particle fx each time? I have a basic AI that can do it but I would love to use Emerald for all my AIs. Thanks.

6. mattis89

mattis89

how things with the ragdoll death? hit animations and ragdoll death is golden?

7. julianr

julianr

Awesome 2.1.1 update being submitted. Can't wait to try it out .. appreciate the work put into this release also, as it has many good features that are flexible enough for you to do some amazing stuff with them - a coding time saver for me at least.

8. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

Is it possible to use grenades to hurt UFPS enemies with Emeral AI?

I integrate UFPS with Emerald AI, but grenades only hurts the player, enemies are not affected by grenades.

How I can config grenades to do damage in enemies?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. mattis89

mattis89

look how weapons inflict damage

10. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

I know how weapons do damage, but for some reason grenades don't give damage to enemies. I discover that untick the "Allow Cover" parameter, the grenades do damage to enemies. It appears that is some bug in UFPS.

Now I am able to use grenades and create explosive weapons like a grenade launcher.

11. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

An AI can instantly move to its destination by using Warp(). There is no straight forward way to do it without directly editing Emerald's code. However, if you'd like to achieve teleporting, you could replace the Destination(CurrentTarget.position); portion within the Chase function with the code below. In this example, I used the BloodEffect as the teleport effect. The warp is only called when the AI needs to update its position.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (DistanceFromTarget > AttackDistance)
    2. {
    3.    Instantiate(BloodEffect, transform.position+Vector3.up, Quaternion.identity);
    4.    AIAgent.Warp(new Vector3(CurrentTarget.position.x, transform.position.y, CurrentTarget.position.z)+(new Vector3(transform.forward.x*-AttackDistance/1.5f,0,transform.forward.z*-AttackDistance/1.5f)));
    5. }

Ragdoll death will come with the 2.1.2 update.

Thanks!

Yes, but you will need to add code to call the Emerald AI system within the grenade script. I will update the tutorial sometime tomorrow showing how to do this.

12. mattis89

mattis89

2.1.2 update... how far away is that?

13. BHS

BHS

I’m not entirely sure. I will also be adding Mecanim support with the 2.1.2 update. So, figure around couple of weeks.

14. mattis89

mattis89

ooh so theres no mecanim yet neither.. okay I’ll wait for the buy..

15. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

Emerald AI 2.1.1 has been accepted and is now live! This update introduces Emerald AI events, 3 new demo scenes, an Emote system, and more. Ragdoll death, more events, and RootMotion support will come with the next minor update. Breeding and herd support will come with the next major update.

Note: This update requires an AI's Animator Controllers to be regenerated in order for the new Emote system to work correctly. To do this, go to the Animation Options, clear the AI's Animator Controller, and create a new one.

• Added 3 new example scenes
      • Tamable AI example
      • Play Emote Animation example
      • Spawn Companion AI example
    • Added Unity Events that allow users to call custom functions to add added functionality
      • On Start
      • On Death
      • On Damage
      • Reached destination
    • Added support for multiple hit animations that will be randomly played when an AI receives damage. There's no limit to how many animations that can be used.
    • Added support for multiple death animations that will be randomly played when an AI dies. There's no limit to how many animations that can be used.
    • Added support for Emote animations. Emote animations allow users to define a list of animations, along with an ID, that can be called with the PlayEmoteAnimation(int EmoteAnimationID) function. This allows an AI to play an emote animation when calling this function with the appropriate ID. These can be used for quests and other custom events.
    • Updated all sound lists to use reorderable lists. This allows there to be no caps to the amount of sounds that can be used and reduces the overall code.
    • Fixed a bug that didn't allow Pet and Companion Behavior Types to use the Wander Type.
    • Changed the name of the Written Tutorials to Integration Tutorials.
    • The Written Tutorial section has been updated to cover all sorts of features and functionality you can do with Emerald AI.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Mark_01, zenGarden, AGregori and 9 others like this.
  16. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

It will be very important to me. Thanks.

Someone that uses RFPS, can tell me if the RFPS grenade can damage Emerald AI NPCs?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  17. magique

magique

@BHS In your demo video of the companion AI where the NPC has the player follow him, you had a really nice looking white spider. What asset did you use for that? I'd like to get that for my game.

18. BHS

BHS

I'll be able to update the tutorials for both UFPS and RFPS that allows grenades to damage AI. All you have to do is make the same changes to the grenade scripts as you did with the bullet scripts.

Yes, this was the Darkness Spider asset by PROTOFACTOR, INC: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/302

The spider comes in black, but I edited it to white with Photoshop to better fit the snow level.

Mark_01 and magique like this.
  19. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

I must apologize, the grenades are doing damage to the Emerald AI NPCs. I accidentally mark the Emerald AI NPCs with "static", this was the reason the grenades are not working. The problem is fixed now, thanks.
    I only change the "GrenadeExplosion" prefab damage mode to Unity message and grenades are doing damage to Emerald AI NPCs. Since my grenades kill the enemies in the first hit, I don't need to implement the methods MakeFlee and MakeAttack.

20. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great work @BHS ,Emerald is becoming be the best AI without coding :)

21. AGregori

AGregori

Neat developments with 2.1+, congrats! However, the old issue with Passive Dynamic type remains: after a minute or so, the NPC starts circling around itself, and when it stops, it won't complete its idle animation cycles. I can provide new videos if inclined. (Using 2017.3.1).

22. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

23. mattis89

mattis89

I agree. I havent even bought it yet but I have been following the forum and Emeralds progress. And I know it will become the most used due to its easy workl flow and clear explained UI. No unnescasary options that will confuse a user. A good AI to me is a smooth mover, with good animations with seamless variations and logic. Be able to jump to higher grounds, dodge and attack while its moving. Hit reactions and fall and go back up is quite important because it brings good realism and give it more life for the player to take away ;) The player often sticks to a game with more love must likely if it has an AI that you enjoy killing and have an urge to do it, i think you gamers know what I mean ;)

and Emerald, is now really close to deliver that!

24. zenGarden

zenGarden

Actually it rocks for hack n slash and it's a good AI for action rpg.
    But perhaps we'll get something more close to Skyrim AI to some level :)
    With more features towards priorities, randomness, sequences and the possibilitiy to let us add features like weapons stats, shield or magic states.
    I know there is some great features to come later, and already last updates showed big improvments.

25. mattis89

mattis89

I agree, the last update was a real step forward

zenGarden and julianr like this.
  26. SolarFalcon

SolarFalcon

It appears that this asset is still being heavily supported. I think I will purchase this one over the others. It's such a pain when you spend money you don't have on thins that aren't being supported anymore. I wish Unity would clear out all the unusable AI assets that clearly aren't being supported.

This being said, does this asset work well for Unity 2017?
    How is damage handled? I need an asset that can do everything else, EXCEPT damage. I have my own damage class specific for my game. Does this asset force you to use its damage handlin ethods or can I tell it to use mine via events or something?

What is the performance on mobile, or has anyone used this with VR (Oculus etc)?

EDIT: Mechanim isn't supported? This is a no go for me until this is supported.

I appreciate any responses from people who have used this asset. Help me make a good decision. :)

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

It depends if your scene is already complex with lot of effects running and how much polygon count you use on characters.
    But it should be fine, i made many stress tests with more than 30 different AI close to player while frame rate was still good.

SolarFalcon likes this.
  28. SolarFalcon

SolarFalcon

Also, is there a way to add recoil animations? You know, like when a player blocks/parries an attack and the enemy recoils

29. BHS

BHS

Great to hear you figured it out.

If you could provide a video, that would be great. I have yet been able to recreate this issue. You could also package up and example scene that has the issue so I can find a solution.

I’m not sure how that asset gets collisions, but you just need to grab the Emerald AI component when hit. If you could give me more information on how the fps kit is setup and detects collisions, I’d be more than happy to help you out. :)

Hey there!

I made a mistake in my 2.1.1 post. Mecanim is currently supported. I meant RootMotion support.

Emerald AI works great with Unity 2017+.

Damage is calculated with raycasts. The damage player function can easily be tweaked to custom ones. You can see the integration tutorial to see how it’s done.

I’ve tested Emerald AI with Oculus Rift and found no performance issues with VR.

There are as many impact animations as you need. However, there isn’t a blocking system currently.

SolarFalcon and julianr like this.
  30. AGregori

AGregori

@BHS: UFPS got an update some weeks ago, is the Emerald+UFPS integration still stable?
    Also, could you perhaps implement a softer transition option between idle anims? When there are 3 idle/grazing anims, transition between them is quite abrupt now.
    Thanks.

31. mattis89

mattis89

whaat really? need to check out the update.

but if emerald support mecanim, you could make softer transitions there..

zenGarden likes this.
  32. zenGarden

zenGarden

@BHS
    I can't get Emerald AI detect Invector character.
    Emerald uses faction manager and tag management is not the same interface.
    Please update the Invector plugin integration doc, or make a video tutorial.

plugin documentation is out of date without the correct layers and tags, and faction system is not explained.
    Tags described are not more the same , in example tag is "respawn" and layer is "water" while in the docs both are "Emerald".
    Please update the plugin documentation or make new video tutorials.

I downloaded last update, demos scenes are broken.

1) Agressive AI example
    Launching the scene skeletons and spiders are not attacking each other while their relation in faction is undead enemy to creature.

2) Line of Sight example

The skeleton ignores the player when it's in front of it, while "AI attacks the player" is setup as "always".

3) Fleeing example
    Spider doesn't react to player.

I could continue on and on, please check the demos and fix them, they should be working out of the box because they are examples we use to start and learn from.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  33. dl290485

dl290485

I have used this in a VR shooter game. I haven't benchmarked nor tested heaps, but I've found it works well enough. I did find when a large number of AI were on screen (like 40 or 50 or something) and shooting that things slowed down, but when I set an AI limit to 15 then I haven't noticed any slow downs when they are all standing there shooting at the same time.

So yeah, really depends. Do you need 100 AI at the same time or is a dozen fine? Is it for a low power system or an i7 7700k like I'm running? Is the scene they are in already dropping the FPS right down so none is spare? I think the only way to know is to just try it in the situation you want to use it in.

34. dl290485

dl290485

How goes things in the way of Play Maker support and a tutorial on how to do it?

35. zenGarden

zenGarden

But there is no stress test scenes demos, he must buy the plugin to do it :rolleyes:

36. Martians135

Martians135

Hello, first at all, excuse my english,
    I have a big problem with the asset, all NPC have the Y axis like a static.
    in the example scenes, all runs good, but when I create a terrain or in a mesh, my enemies and the example enemies about this asset always have the y axis like static.... imposible to solve it.
    apart from this, the enemies always end up inside the terrain ... or below this. and not it's a problem of Base offset... How is it possible ?
    I tried a lot of things to solve this. but , nothing works.
    I use Unity 5.6.2p5 64bit on windows 10 with the end version of this asset.

37. magique

magique

I've been trying out the latest Emerald AI with RFPS and I've noticed a couple of things so far. The first, and most important, is that enemies don't seem to react when they are being damaged if they aren't already aware of the player. For example, I am using the skeleton from the line of sight demo and I shoot it from a distance with the bow and it just keeps patrolling while I slowly kill it shot after shot.Is there some setting to force the AI to react and go after the player when he's being damaged?

Second, every once and a while the AI doesn't die properly. The skeleton has a really cool death animation, but a few times I've seen it just dies, but instead of seeing the death animation, it's just frozen in place and I can now walk through him.

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Wasn't it fixed ? i'll give it a try.

39. julianr

julianr

Does the Invector with Emerald still work though?

40. AGregori

AGregori

The same happens in ICE. So I suspect it's an internal Unity issue. Still, it needs a fix.

I have similar sporadic bugs in Emerald. Their sporadic nature makes them elusive, so we need video capture to "prove" their presence.

zenGarden likes this.
  41. zenGarden

zenGarden

Each work as separate systems, but i can't damage Emerald AI and Emerald AI is unable to detect Invector player.
    I think the new faction system and tags changes are what deosn't work.

Yep a video capture as some people says screenshots are not valid and could be faked :eek:

42. magique

magique

No, this is absolutely 100% not an internal Unity issue. It's an issue with Emerald AI.

43. julianr

julianr

That's a shame! Now I have two AI systems that do not work with Invector! I was hoping at least one would work out of the box as I'm under pressure to get a build out in the next few days - I'm more confident with the Emerald dev fixing this up as waiting for the other developer to finish the bugs and update support as its so far behind its driving me insane! Hopefully I'll have time over the next day or so to have a look and will share the result, but if BHS has time (knowing Emerald inside and out) and could provide a quick fix I'd appreciate it.

I really appreciate you (BHS) pushing out the updates and support lately :)

44. julianr

julianr

Found this on Invector forum about hit damage on Emerald. It's a bit out of date but might help (Emerald v2.0c)
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/341/emerald-ai-integration

45. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

@BHS please check private message. thank you

46. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is a matter of tags setup and perhaps small changes in Emerald, with a new tutorial up to date, it should work. It's not a very difficult integration issue.

It's out of date when Emerald got recent major update.
    Last doc is this , but it doesn't contain factions and tags changes
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...uHce2BVLM3QTq5axg/edit#heading=h.9ko8tymxw1dt

julianr likes this.
  47. TonyLi

TonyLi

Love/Hate 1.8.9 is now live on the Asset Store with Emerald AI integration. Combat with AIs affects Love/Hate factions and emotional states, and can push AIs into different Emerald temperaments (e.g., from Passive to Aggressive).

The Save Systems 1.0.4 for UFPS and 1.0.6 for Realistic FPS Prefab are also now live with Emerald AI integration. They save AIs' positions, health, and current behavior in saved games.

Quest Machine integration is just pending release on the Asset Store and should be available soon.

BHS, uberwiggett, julianr and 3 others like this.
  48. Martians135

Martians135

the aligment tool on mainscript it's unuseful,,, I can not use this asset properly.
    *Edit: It's solved

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  49. BryanO

BryanO

My creatures dont despawn after dying and leave their dead model- how do I make bodies fade and despawn?

50. magique

magique

I don't think there's a built-in method for this at the moment. You might consider using a pooling system like PoolBoss from Core Gamekit for spawning and despawning things. Or you can write s simple timed despawn script that checks for the AI health and when it reaches < 0 then start the timer and remove the AI when the timer expires.