Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Emerald AI 3.2 (New Sound Detection) - The Ultimate Universal AAA Quality AI Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Oderus_Urungus

Oderus_Urungus

I just picked this up recently, and I'm using it with RFPS. Setting it up was a breeze, and I now have a decent bear AI. With some tweaks it will be better. One thing that doesn't seem to be working right for me is the line of sight detection. I have to walk right up to the bears face for it to notice me even though I have the line of sight distance set to 20.

Any suggestions?

@BHS any idea?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hey BlueBarracks,
    In the current version there is not a complex switching target system. With Version 2.2 as you can see in the changelogs of BHS the aggro system will be based on total hits. Users can adjust how many hit an AI can take before switching targets. So with the new 2.2 version which should be released soon, you will also not be able to define switching targets after XX seconds. With version 2.3 the target system will become more advanced and you will be able to do that.

Good question. I would also love to do that on creatures also. Defining not moving creatures like mages who just cast and stand on the spawn position. A checkbox "Not moveable" would be cool. I didn't try that until now I have to admit. Anyway creatures should rotate your buildings not.

Best regards
    Ronny

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  3. Oderus_Urungus

Oderus_Urungus

Does anyone know why line-of-sight would not be working unless I get right in front of my enemy? All of my tags, layers, and everything else is correct. I'm using Emerald AI with RFPS.

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

I had something similar. Turned out I had to move the target closer to the ground. No idea why, but that worked for me.

Oderus_Urungus likes this.
  5. Oderus_Urungus

Oderus_Urungus

Thanks. I will try that when I get home from work. Did you move the AI object closer to the terrain with the transform, or with the emerald navmesh offset?

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

I used the transform

Oderus_Urungus likes this.
  7. micuccio

micuccio

Hi!
    I am using Emerald and Puppet master combined. I have an issue when the Puppet master is active and the AI cannot detect me (Puppet Master ragdoll layer: ragdoll and Player on layer : Player). Any idea how to fix it? thanks in advance

8. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

It would be nice if you added four more target selection options:
    Most Attack Power
    Least Attack power
    Most HitPoints
    Least hitpoints.

Still not sure if this will work for me, (bought a while back, playing with it right now) as I am designing a RTS, so I need more group control AI, as well as different AI's to carry out the players commands vs carrying out AI/computer brain commands.

I like to use blend trees with my animations. Anyway to incorporate them with EmeraldAI? So for example, walking and running smoothly blend together?

9. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hey Ne0mega,
    BHS posted that the target system will become more complex with version 2.3. Anyway I am trying to understand your idea which will be pretty hard to achieve if you really want to check all Attack Power by every player doing damage to the AI. Games like WoW and other do it differently and more easy. They have a Threat System which is based on Damage Done so called Aggro / Threat Meter. The damaged done by players is summed up and the AI is holding the Aggro of all DMG received by every player as a List. With this you can use functions like
    • Attack Target 1 which will attack the Player who did the most dmg or used Taunt Effects which add DMG / Aggro values
    • Attack LastTarget which will attack the player who did the smallest dmg which probably will be a healer
    • Attack Taget 2 which will be the second player whith most dmg done etc.
    • ResetAggro which will simply reset the whole list and do a Aggro Reset.
    Most HitPoints and Least hitpoints is a good idea. Functions like GetPlayer->GetMaxHealth or GetPlayer->GetLeastHealth would be possible with it. Anyway there are more features which should be added also:
    • Distance Checks: GetPlayerDistance => 10 which attacks a player who is 10m away from the AI or does a special attack if the player is too far away from the creature.
    • GetPlayerRandom which attacks an random player from the Aggro Meter. So the AI can cast a Spell on a Random gamer which is very important in my opinion.

Best regards
    Ronny

10. Ewan-Churchill

Ewan-Churchill

Hi, i'm trying to get my AI to drop item such as meat etc on death however i cant seem to find the right option after looking through all the death event options within the editor does anyone have this working and can help me?

11. magique

magique

12. BHS

BHS

This sounds like the AI isn't properly detecting the player because of its raycast. With the current version, the raycast ends at the bottom of the target so the AI sometimes cannot detect its target. This can be fixed by adjusting the AI's Player Y Offset setting, located under AI's Settings>Combat, to a higher value.

Have you made sure to update your NavMesh by rebaking it each time new objects are added? If your AI is walking through objects, that means it has been baked with Unity's NavMesh. As for your scaling issue, you will need to adjust your AI's Attack Distance to a larger value because this isn't scaled when you scale your AI.

This has more to do with the AI's collider, not the position of it. This happens because with the current version, there's a little bit of a bug where the AI casts its raycast at the bottom of its target which makes it miss the AI's collider. The AI's collider is required to have proper target detection. Make sure your AI's colliders are near the ground and do not have much of a gap between the AI and the ground. This is fixed with version 2.2, but the above should work for now.

I'm not familiar with Puppet Master, but make sure all layers and tags are added to your Emerald AI agents that you will be using. If they aren't, Emerald agents won't see the object as a target.

Improved target selection functionality will come with version 2.3.

Improved animation blending is coming with version 2.2. The new version will also use blend trees for walking and running so they are smoothly blended. For an example, see the newer videos of the Emerald AI playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlyiPBj7Fznaf-vdNirfQwjAe4Zon-_fr

13. Revelation_Jeff

Revelation_Jeff

@BHS I just wanted to list a few of the design issues I've encountered lately while trying to test the limits and design of Emerald AI. Fixing these things would greatly help improve the logic and value of the product and I'm not sure if they've been previously covered so I figured I'd quickly list a few. =)

- Character Collision is wrongly generating an unattached Box collider which is problematic. It does not follow the character as his body moves or falls down. For example: arrows stay stuck in the air upon their deaths. Collision should be done on the Rigs individual bones in sections using various capsule/spheres. I had wanted to redo this my self to fix but your script is requiring the box collider to be active. Would love to be able to properly set this up my self.

- Character Idles variation pool oddly designed. You give the option to have multiple idles but it makes little sense since most idle variation pipelines are designed to have a master idle or two per state and stingers that fire randomly according to a min/max randomization property setup. Example "Deer Idle" As core loop which would randomly trigger between a pool of idle stingers to "Deer Eat" or "Deer look around" etc. As of now it tries to loop those stinger idles as a state which don't go with most animation designs. Giving us more control as to how often these stingers idles occur would be great. Even a priority system would be cool so we could establish certain idle stingers more often than others.

- Ranged projectiles don't trigger the flee state. I know you have a flee upon damage variable which helps to fake a hurt state but Its also necessary to have some option for the creature to detect the players projectiles. So if the player were to shoot an arrow past a deer's head and miss him the AI would still be able to detect the projectile and enter the flee state. Where as now he would just stand there unless damage was received, unless I'm missing something?

The Root motion and multiple blend trees per state will help my biggest complaint so far with regards to animals and hunting attempts. They obviously need different sets of animations for non combat movement and turning than in combat or flee state. Having that option would greatly help.

I'd also love to see how we can improve the complexity of combat in general but that's something I'm waiting to see how root motion and blend tree's help to improve the general flow of melee combat in the upcoming update. I'd love to see more ways to control the AI's behavior and adjust stepping attacks and collision. Lots of animations these days take a step forward to attack in which we need more calculation in dealing with position to/from the player and hurt animations etc for proper control. Looking forward to seeing whats next. Also where can I access your update goals in upcoming versions?

Thanks for the tool and the continual improvements! =)

Weblox likes this.
  14. p_hergott

p_hergott

For the collisions, just set the bones to a different tag, then use that tag for combat calculations. The main box collider, just let it sit idle. Thats one method i do, i hit a collider on say the arm, get the root of that collider, get componet of root, and apply damage ect.

15. p_hergott

p_hergott

I find the calling “searchfortarget” method works

16. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@BHS can we get an ETA on 2.2? Thanks!

17. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I was thinking more of a property given to a unit, that just says DPS (damage per second in RTS terms), and keep it in a list that updates every second or so.

It would be just like the most/least HP thing. (unfortunately for me, I am trying to make an RTS that does not use HP :-O ).

As far as the group AI, I am currently looking at using "center of gravity" for "unitsInSight" using an average of per unit power ratings, and signed x and y position extremes to determine the shape of the "army".

I am going to +1 this one. I think I get why he did it, because he really is trying to make a very easy to use AI, but I dont like those box colliders being required.

18. KoFree

KoFree

Please, can anyone advise the best way to integrate Emerald Ai so that Game Creator registers the damage? ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/game-creator-89443 )

My Emerald Ai attacks my Game Creator Player with projectiles, but I cannot TRIGGER a death animation, and RELOAD Game command.

Please Note: that with or without Game Creator when the Emerald Ai Enemy attacks the GC Player my Emerald Ai health bar shows damage progression down to "0", then I get the "Player has died" Text message at bottom of screen - BUT - the player does not die, Ragdoll or anything else. In fact I can continue to play/control the Player as if nothing happened - thus no damage.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  19. mattis89

mattis89

Hello @BHS I was wondering something about headshots.. Lets try this : Sphere collider thats a trigger, and a script that when its triggered it deals 1000000000 dmg ... using your namespace and the damage dealing, works?

20. p_hergott

p_hergott

Anyone remember what or how to set ai attack target on a collider, i remember reading about it on this forum, i just cant find it. Where the ai targets the middle of the collider, which is problematic for large colliders, but i believe there was a way to set it so the ai target a colliders edges instead

21. hassonhamo3

hassonhamo3

thanks for your reply , Ai uses melee attack not range :D , anyway, I built my game and tested it in my mobile and Ai works perfectly but in editor it doesn't :$?!

22. Ewan-Churchill

Ewan-Churchill

i remember seeing the same thing and i thought it was in the documentation but i've double checked and cant find it anywhere

23. BHS

BHS

I haven't tried to add network support so I can't give you much info. I will be looking into network support soon though.

Character Collisions - Improved character collisions will come with version 2.3. This will allow AI to use their ragdoll colliders for damage and other collisions. It's technically possible with version 2.2, but a little more needs to be done with it before it's ready.

Character Idles - Version 2.2 will help this. I will be working on adding more controls with this with version 2.3.

Range Projectile and fleeing - This should be possible with version 2.2 and its new API. It could be done with a trigger collision that tells the AI to flee if it's not already fleeing with a simple custom script.

Blend Trees, Root Motion support, and different animation states for non-combat and combat are all in version 2.2. The Animator Controllers are far more complex than they were previously.

Version 2.2 supports Root Motion animation and allows an AI to use the motion and movement of the animation for attacking and other animations. There isn't really an update goal section. I just discuss plans and features I'm working on through various posts on this thread. There are a few status update posts that discuss things more in-depth. Here's a couple of the more recent ones:
    1) https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...aypoints-and-more.336521/page-54#post-4004512
    2) https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...aypoints-and-more.336521/page-49#post-3796129

I'm working on getting it finished asap. :) I don't like giving ETA because it's hard to predict. The holidays delayed things a little bit.

Take a look at the integration tutorials. The process should be the same, but using the Game Creator's scripts and functions instead: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QGSEdc2-6bks22KIelYlBw_601uHce2BVLM3QTq5axg/edit

This could work, but the AI's box collider might get in the way of the collision. If you can have an AI's head be clear of its box collider, you may be able to get it working.

What exactly do you mean by target a collider? Do you mean a non-AI object?

Strange that it would work in-game, but not in the editor. Melee still uses obstruction detection to ensure AI aren't attacking through objects. Can you try using a Debug.Log to see what object might be obstructing the AI?

Revelation_Jeff likes this.
  24. mattis89

mattis89

Would be a cool option to assign different colliders on different body parts to do different damage... but ut dosent sound so hard to make, may I start ?:D

25. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Its called hit boxes and i believe he has plans for it

26. zKici

zKici

Thank you,

Sorry for the delayed response, I saved this to review at a later date, and it makes prefect sense.

You did screw up and duplicate some images, but it got the job done regardless =)

Share other things too if you scheme out hah

27. Snownebula

Snownebula

I too would like to use this with network support I personally would like to see it compatible with Photon Networking or Unet.

28. Snownebula

Snownebula

How can I add more Idle Animation slots?

29. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hi,
    I would recommend Photon and Mirror since Unet is deprecated and abandoned from Unity Devs as I understood.

Right now you can't. You can only add one with the current version. With the upcoming version 2.2 you will be able to define up to 6 idle animations. You can find the changelogs for 2.2 here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...aypoints-and-more.336521/page-54#post-4004512

Cheers
    Ronny

30. BHS

BHS

Unet has been deprecated so I don't want to add support to something that is no longer supported. As soon as version 2.2 is finished, I will be begin looking into support for other network solutions. This will most likely be either a tutorial or an included Unity Package within Emerald AI, depending on the complexity of what needs to be done/modified to add support.

Animations cannot be added because all of the animations rely on the generated Animator Controller. This is so users don't have to worry about creating one themselves and Emerald AI's is pretty complex. With version 2.2, you will have the ability to use up to 6 idle animations while an AI is not in combat.

RonnyDance, SickaGames1 and Mark_01 like this.
  31. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

Just a quick little status update for those who are interested.

With version 2.1, I've seen various users have issues with getting their AI to consistently detect some targets. This is because the AI's raycasts would aim for around the AI's feet. This would result in the raycast sometimes being too low to hit an AI's Box Collider which would make the AI unable to detect their target. This would also sometimes cause projectiles to fly at the AI's feet.

I attempted to fix this with version 2.2 with a few different solutions until I found one that offered the most customization and flexibility all while being easy to use. This took a few tries to get right and required a few sections to be rewritten again to work correctly. The good news is that this section is finished the results are awesome.

Each AI has an editable transform spot that can be customized from within the editor. This transform spot is what other AI will use while aiming, firing projectiles, or using the look at feature.
    Improved_Aiming_And_Projectile_Direction_5.png

This allows an AI to always be seen regardless of how large or small it is and is as simple as adjusting the Hit Transform position. A visual indicator is shown on each AI to make things easier (Only when in the Combat tab with the AI selected).
    Improved_Aiming_And_Projectile_Direction_0.png
    An example of an AI having a higher Hit Transform. This is located around the AI's head and allows the other AI to aim where the AI's Hit Transform is. This will also allow an AI's projectile to hit this transform, including firing from this angle.
    Improved_Aiming_And_Projectile_Direction_3.png

An example of everything in action. The AI's Line of Sight is now based on a customizable transform that users can set. This is to allow an AI to have a proper line of sight based on their height and head. The projectile still uses the AI's Ranged Transform, but will now fire at the proper angle according to the AI's current look at rotation and towards its target's Hit Transform.
    Improved_Aiming_And_Projectile_Direction_6.png

Lastly, this offers a huge improvement to AI firing projectiles from above or below other AI. Previously, this could sometimes cause an AI to overshoot its target making them miss the shot. This allows an AI to always hit their shot because they have their target's Hit Transform as a reference.
    Improved_Aiming_And_Projectile_Direction_4.png

32. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Nice! Hopefully we dont have to wait much longer for 2.2!

mattis89 and erichey like this.
  33. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

This looks really easy and good. I hope I am not getting too confusing or difficult here but for 2.3 you could improvise the feature a little bit:
    Is it possible to scale the Hit circle? To make it bigger for big bosses and smaller for small creatures? Does the scale even affect the hitpoint? If yes the point should be scaleable to make sure it hits the right spot like a small or big head.
    If not will projectives always hit the same "middle point" of the hitpoint? So for example arrows will always hit the same spot? A very small randomness woul be cool so the arrows don't hit 100% the same spot. Randomess would make sense if you can scale the hitpoint also so the red circle indicates the whole hit area where arrows can hit randomly.

In 2.3 you could try to change the function for human creatures a little bit regarding the look feature. Because I think the look feature should always work like the AI is looking you in the face, it should not look on your stomach if the hitpoint is in the middle of the player / creature ;) In combat or fights the projectiles should aim to a point that is in the middle of your body instead. So Look point should be different to hit point in the future at least for "human" types.

But again nothing urgent just cosmetic stuff and additional option for Version 2.3.

Really nice feature. Keep it up!

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Mark_01 and SickaGames1 like this.
  34. BHS

BHS

Thanks! I mentioned previously that the holidays, as well as fixing the aiming mechanics, delayed things a little bit. However, I'm working on getting this released asap. I appreciate everyone's patience and understanding with the 2.2 update. This update will definitely be taking Emerald AI a huge step in the AAA direction.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. :)

To clarify, the Hit Transform feature is used by other AI where to aim and fire their projectiles. They still rely on the AI's Box Collider for detecting collisions. There is a little bit of randomness due to the AI's animation that is doing the firing. So, a projectile will not hit the same exact spot 100% of the time, however, it will still hit its target roughly within that area. A randomness could be added, but this may make the AI miss sometimes even while aiming at a static target, unless that would be a desired affect of the randomness.

As for the looking a target in the face, that's why this feature was implemented. So the user can adjust exactly where the chooses to look for each AI. If a user wants a different position, such as the AI's body, then it's completely adjustable. I originally had this feature somewhat automatic, but it was a little inconsistent and I felt like it was important to have it be fully customizable. As you can see from the 3rd screenshot in my status update, even with a large target, looking an AI in the face is possible. I was also demonstrating the other possibilities with the 2nd screenshot.

SickaGames1, Mark_01 and RonnyDance like this.
  35. BHS

BHS

@attaway @C_p_H @unicat @Darrkbeast

For those of you who are having issues with the editor scaling incorrectly (not fitting properly within the confines of the editor), you can fix it by setting your computer's scaling back to 100%.Typically, users who have 4k monitors will adjust the computer's scaling to correct the blurring that happens with 4k.

I have fixed this with version 2.2 so users will be able customize their computer's scaling. This is just an easy and temporary solution.

36. JW86

JW86

Hi all,

Is this workable with SteamVR currently, or in the upcoming 2.2 update?

I run on Unity 2018.3, with SteamVR 1.2.3, NewtonVR and VRTK with integration as shown here -

I include the Youtube link as it shows the construction of the character rig I'm currently using in my project.

I imported Emerald AI 2.0 into a new, otherwise blank project, and got it working easily. Great asset, very promising!

I imported it into my existing project with the above setups, and got the AI to idle, and to carry out their stationary/dynamic wanders. They completely fail to target me or other AIs.

I went back to the project with -just- EAI, and imported SteamVR. When I load into game with a basic SteamVR camera, the AI is perfectly functional for the first second (I can see/hear them fighting in the demo scenes). After about one-two seconds I get the SteamVR loading screen, this lasts around a second, and when I return in game the AIs sit in their idle animations, no longer attacking each other, etc. In that first couple of seconds, the AI will even run to and attack the player rig, so something is working to begin with.

The errors which appear are in the attached picture. Don't mind the collider/cylinder, I was just playing around with different ideas to help targeting. Didn't work ofc.

I've tried setting various aspects of the camerig to the demo tags and layers, this does not help, although it was a bit of a shot in the dark as I'm fairly new to this.

Can anybody weigh in on if it's possible to get EAI and SteamVR (and Newton/VRTK, but I think as long as I can get it to work on SteamVR, the rest should be workable)?

TIA.

J

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  37. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

Hello i wait of the New Update for a project, but i have a question ,i have see in your Video the shooting with a bow and my question is will that scene with th bow come as Demo in Version 2.2 or a tutorial?

38. thefountainhead

thefountainhead

Hiyah. I've scoured the forum and I have a simple question: Is Ootii integration deprecated? I can't seem to get it to work!

Another question: Does emerald AI integrate with Opsive TPC2?

Thanks all! :)

39. magique

magique

40. pccross

pccross

I've had EAI working with SteamVR and VRTK (on Vive, Rift, and WMR) quite well for last year. As I recall, I added a FPS controller (with rigid body) and used the VRTK headset follow script on it or else the AI didn't recognize it. I'm guessing you've tried all the various layer configurations. I haven't used Newton so can't comment on it.

41. pccross

pccross

So I see a section in EAI manual on syncing up the footstep audio with its animation. How about syncing attack audio with its respective animations? I'm finding my physical blows aren't synced with the audio by a half second or so.

42. JW86

JW86

Thank you!

If you're willing and have the time to load up that scene and take a screenshot of the layout, I'd be really grateful. I'm new and not sure how to best set this up. VRTK_Rigidbody_Follow Script would need to be applied to which gameobject? And then the EmeraldController on an empty gameobject? would it be childed? No pressure. It gives hope to know it's possible but there's a loooad of variables still I could easily mess this up on as a beginner. I've emailed the devs as well on Support so hopefully can get some further advice if you're not able to respond further. Thanks again.

43. pccross

pccross

upload_2019-1-18_20-19-46.png

Here is my FPS. As you can see, I have the VRTK_Transform_Follow script attached

44. pccross

pccross

And then for my Enemy AI, I have these settings: upload_2019-1-18_20-26-35.png

45. pccross

pccross

I added 2 screenshots prior to this post. Let me know if that helps. The folks are really helpful on the VRTK Slack channel, although I didn't have much luck getting any Emerald AI integration figured out from them, so it was a lot of trial-n-error on my part. I did find that you have to make sure your FPS dimensions are tall/wide enough to trigger the AI detection.

46. JW86

JW86

Thank you very much. I'll experiment with this today.

As an aside, I noticed my tag tab layout looks a little different, and am wondering if I have an older/newer version of EAI installed. The functionality looks the same, but I want to be sure. I downloaded 2.0 from the asset store. Is 2.2 released somewhere?

EDIT: Worked first time! Awesome. Again, thank you. The demo skelly rushed and attacked me. Unfortunately he knocks the player down through the floor if standing on a plane, but I can use a cube to stand on now for further testing. At least the AI is working with the player now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  47. Melle_

Melle_

I just got Emerald first time using it.
    "By default, the Wander Type is set to Dynamic
    (which randomly generates waypoints)"
    If you have a small area like a building or tunnel system and have a bigger Dynamic Wander Radius. It seems a lot of the waypoints generated are outside of the mesh the agents take longer before it moves.
    Would it be possible to have in a future release that the waypoints generated needs to be on the mesh?

I'm trying to set up two AI agents to fight with each other.
    Detection Layers is "Agents" on both agents.
    I set the Tag on both agents to "AI Agents" and Layer to "Agents".
    One agent is in faction "Undead" the other one I created a faction "Human" they are enemies to each other.

The undead agent attacks the human but the human doesn't fight back doesn't seem to see the undead agent.
    On the human agent, I cant set Detection Type LineOfSight I get a message
    "Passive AI cannot use the Line Of Sight Detection Type. It will automatically be switched to trigger on Start."
    Why can't the human agent use LineOfSight, why is that agent passive AI?

EDIT: Was able to choose LineOfSight after I changed behavior from Passive to Cautious. But the human agent still doesn't attack the undead agent.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  48. JW86

JW86

Cautious will either flee or act territorial depending on confidence level. Try setting the convidence level of Brave or Foolhardy, or the Behaviour type to aggressive.

49. Melle_

Melle_

Thanks now they are fighting :) but they don't lose health. Both have Health 15 and don't regenerate health. All attacks do dmg.

50. JW86

JW86

Not sure. I'm new to EAI as well, and am trying to get it to integrate with Bladesmith Combat System..

SPEAKING of which, EAI creates an overridecontroller. I have another asset, Bladesmith Melee Combat, which I want to use. My sticking point at the moment is allowing Bladesmith to play get-hit and death animations.