Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I will be submitting updates tonight to the Asset Store for both the Rift S and the Quest.

combatsheep likes this.
  2. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

New Version for the RIFT S and Quest VR Kits have been Submitted. They were built wuth Unity 2019.2.2f1 version of Unity.

combatsheep likes this.
  3. NinoRules

NinoRules

Hi Christian,

It's a great work there !

I'm planning to use your kit in my future Oculus Quest game. I just watched the video above and at the end, you say that you are planning to add full-body editor.

So, for the moment, it's impossible to attach a full-body character to the player ? We are just able to show hands ?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this point. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  4. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

No anyone on their own can add a full body and some have. But I haven't added full bodies to the kit yet myself.

5. NinoRules

NinoRules

Ok fine, I will try it then :) Thanks !

6. anakein

anakein

is easy add full body. use final ik and wortk fine with this asset.

now other question.

is there multiplayer option?.

thanks

7. anakein

anakein

I have your rift and quest version asset, and then, do i need rift or quest version? or, do you upload new asset with both version?. jeje.

and the last. Christian, i want send you a mail, can you send me on private your mail?

thanks

8. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am considering making a Pun 2 Add-On. Unity discontinued their multiplayer.

Mark_01 and combatsheep like this.
  9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Both the Quest Version and the Rift S version were updated. They are separate downloads in the asset store.

10. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I just submitted a new build for the Rift S. Now you can make games that are Not just Front Facing. :) Whenever you are not moving the player now rotates with you. So if you stop and turn to the right, The new direction you are facing will be considered your FORWARD DIRECTION. Now when you start walking or running, the normal joystick controls take over. This allows you to run in one direction while looking left or right to shoot. Combining these 2 methods make for more enjoyable game-play.

After some sleep I will port the changes to the Quest Version and submit it.

Mark_01 likes this.
  11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Quest update has been sent to the Asset Store for approval. Wow what a difference a single change can make. I was having so much fun with the test build, I almost forgot to submit it. ;)

The Rift build has already been approved and is in the store now. Both builds use Unity 2019.2.3f1. From now on, I will try to have both versions stay on the same Unity build. You also may have noticed that each update I try to build on the newest version. The reason for this is we have about 12 weeks until 2019.3 becomes official and the standard. With 2019.3 there comes a lot of new tools and new methods that replace what Unity has done up to this point. New Physics, Character Controls, Particles ETC.. My plan is to be ready for 2019.3 Final. So I try to push forward with the latest Unity Version.

I have seen some complaints about older versions having issues compiling. The truth is the Unity engine is becoming entirely new and Oculus and other suppliers have had issues keeping up with the changes. So some versions are more stable then others. I test and use the most stable builds I can find. So until Unity 2019.3 is completed, I would use the builds I recommend.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Mark_01 and NinoRules like this.
  12. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Quest Update is now in the Asset Store. :)

NinoRules and combatsheep like this.
  13. droidhunter12

droidhunter12

Hello, I have a couple of questions. I saw in youtube video your reply about a timer for when you pick up something and when you can pick it up again. What script/variable is that stored in? Also, have you tried this pack with LWRP? I had to use LWRP due to some shader work and when I import this pack into the project the hands no longer show. Many things had to have a new material assigned to them after the LWRP implementation, but I cant seem to find where the hands mat are assigned in the ray prefab..

14. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Look at the EDDIE_GRABBABLE script used by the objects you can grab.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public float CollisionDelay = 1.5F; // STORES THE TIME FOR TURNING COLLISIONS BACK ON AFTER DROPPING OBJECT
    As far as the LDRP and HDRP pipes typicallly most of the changes are just changing the materials. The Oculus hands have always been a bit of a bother when it comes to this. I am looking into a custom system to solve this.

15. droidhunter12

droidhunter12

Ahh, that explains it, I thought I was just overlooking something with the RPs. It really is a bother, I made a shader, couldn't use it without using LDRP, but then LDRP took away my hands...not completely though, just the rendering. Shadows still exist and I can still use the ray, so its specifically a material issue. I'll do some digging and let you know if I stumble on something, thank you.

16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

No worries. I have a list of 12 major updates over the next 3 months. One of my biggest goals is to make situations such as the hands simpler. After doing the research, if a custom solution is needed to make things easier, Then I will certainly add it. The material system for avatars and hands has been changed by Oculus enough times that I feel a custom solution will probably be less of a headache in the long run.

17. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

A new version of the VR Kit for the Rift has been submitted to the Asset Store. It uses Unity 2019.2.5f1. I switched player rotation to the left hand controller. This has always been switchable with the kit, But I thought it was nicer as the default. I also added the Oculus Audio Spatializer plug-in to the Project for convenience. Lastly the Teleport has been improved and shows an arched path to the Teleport Target now. :)

I will make the same changes to the Quest VR Kit over the next couple of days and submit it as well.

18. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The New VR Kit for the Quest has been submitted to the Asset Store. It uses Unity 2019.2.5f1. :cool:

19. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The New Rift Version is now in the Asset Store.

20. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Quest Version is now in the Asset Store. That was quick ;)

combatsheep likes this.
  21. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

LINK

You can be sure as soon as this hand tracking is available I will add it to every kit it works with! :)

I have been asked to replace a teacher for a Game Programming course at the Game Art Institute recently. So they may be a slight delay on updates while I prep the course. But I have and will continue to update the VR Kits as often as possible. Next on the list is improvements to the hands. Then options for storing the weapons on the player is the next thing on the list.

Mark_01, NinoRules and combatsheep like this.
  22. combatsheep

combatsheep

Sounds exciting!:)

EddieChristian likes this.
  23. NinoRules

NinoRules

Man, this will be great !

EddieChristian likes this.
  24. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Version 4.0 of the Rift S Version of the VR Kit has been submitted. It includes improved rotation. The start of Custom Hands (A Work In Progress). And LOD's for the tables. The Quest version will be submitted in a couple of days. The next Quest version now uses the Universal Pipeline.

combatsheep likes this.
  25. heynewt

heynewt

Oculus Quest error.

Hi, first of all thanks for building this. I've been creating some simple scenes for my Quest with the basic Oculus SDK tools. Wanted to move up to the next level with your VRStarter kit for the Quest. Using Unity 2019.2.11f1, I run the scene in the editor, and it seems to run fine. So I tried to build/run the demo scene (I think it defaults to 3 actual scenes) to my Quest, and after 40 min(!) the build reached the end and failed with the error, "Unity object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Any advice?

26. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Sadly Certain Unity builds have been less stable then others That is why we suggest using the build in the version we state in the Asset Store.

RECOMMENDED UNITY BUILD IS: Unity 2019.2.9f1

Also the build should take no more then 5 or so minutes. It's never taken that long to build.

heynewt likes this.
  27. heynewt

heynewt

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying the whole process again now in Unity 2019.2.9f1. Limiting the build this time to just the START scene. Even just using only the START scene, the build is well over 10 minutes already. Watching the build the OvrAvatar/AvatarSurfaceShaderSelfOccluding-FORWARD 3072 items takes well over 5 minutes just for all those items. Working today at home on a pretty fast ASUS gaming computer.

Will let you know if it's successful.

28. heynewt

heynewt

Nope. Failed again, same error. Capture.JPG Also, crashed Unity right after the failure.

29. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Did you add / Change any packages in the Package manager window? I know the latest packages had some that made things very unstable. The other possibility is that your Android tools have an issue with how they are set-up

30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

For the Quest :
    01_ Create a New Lightweight/ Universal Project using Unity 2019.2.9f1
    02_ As soon as the project is open, Make sure it is set to Android in the Build Settings
    03_ Go to File / Save Project
    04_ From the Asset Store Import the Quest version of the VR Kit
    05_ It will ask if it is ok to Install Dependencies. Say OK. (See Attached PIC)
    06_ Save your Project Again after importing is Complete
    07_ Go to Build Settings and Select Build and Run(See Attached PIC)

@heynewt

Attached Files:

31. heynewt

heynewt

Ok, I'll try starting from scratch. I just finished today creating an architectural walk-through for a client for use in Quest in Unity 2019.11.f1 that went flawlessly - built in less than 5 min. Even though I installed 2019.2.9f1 for your project, I suspect it was, like you said, an issue with packages - maybe waiting until the end to switch to the Android platform (though I did that today and there were no issues). Anyway, I'll let you know. Stay tuned.

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well we have built it a few hundred times during testing, So I know it builds properly. I wouldn't release anything that didn't.

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. NiallT

NiallT

How does the $1 upgrade work? I'm only really interested in the Quest just now (shame you've dropped Go support, though -- it's still a live platform and easier to publish for) but it would seem silly not to get support for both, particularly with the Link now imminent...

34. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

When I wrote the Go Code it was a favor for one of my customers. I dislike the Go's Controller Immensely and will not support it ever again. If you bought the main kit then you get the Quest kit for a buck.

Mark_01 likes this.
  35. NiallT

NiallT

How, though? there's no indication on the store page for either asset how you go about buying it.

36. samsed

samsed

Would like to know that as well.
    Bought the Rift S version, no where to find the 1$ to Quest upgrade.

37. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

After you buy the Rift S version just go to the Quest Version in the Asset Store it's price will be changed to $1.

38. samsed

samsed

Got it, thanks.

39. Dragantium

Dragantium

What about the guide to replace the model and hand mesh with another model? Could you give us some reference? thanks

40. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am in the middle of a teaching semester. As soon as some time is freed up I will do this.

Mark_01 likes this.
  41. pjpalomaki

pjpalomaki

Hi @SoloChristian - couple of questions (mainly Quest in mind):

1. Is Unity 2019.2.9 still the recommended version for VRSK?
    2. Any progress on the hand tracking? How well is it working at the moment?
    3. Any progress on the Pun 2 Add-On? Would love to get this working with couple of Quests.
    4. Is there a way to run the 'Desktop Switcher' whenever you hit play in the editor without detecting if headset is worn or not. I.e. previewing the scene in the player, interacting etc as, as I understand, if developing on/for Quest, the only way to preview your work is to build and run on Quest?

Thank you for all your excellent work!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  42. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am wrapping up a teaching semester, So updates are delayed until the class end in a few weeks. Oculus just added the hand tracking to the Quest. We are waiting for them to release the SDK. Once they do this we will start adding this. Hopefully they will add it to the Rift S, But they haven't let the public know if the Rift S will have it.
    On the Quest I am researching how to get the hand tracking and the Kat loco working together.
    After these changes are made we will look into multiplayer.
    Sadly on the Quest, Unity requires you to build the App. Unity would have to add an Android emulator in order to run from the Editor.

43. Algebra3

Algebra3

Hi, I purchased the VR Starter Kit for Oculus Rift S on the last day of the Cyber Week sale. When I attempt to run the demo I get a few errors, get 4 hand models in the scene and no response from the trigger press. On Dec 18 I sent an email to what had been listed as your contact, but have not received a response and no longer see that address listed or any other email. What is the best way to request support?

44. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Are you using the recommended Version of Unity? RECOMMENDED UNITY BUILD IS: Unity 2019.2.9f1 . Are you loading it into an empty project? And yes I received your email, but I am actually away for the Holidays.

45. Algebra3

Algebra3

Yes I am using the recommended version of Unity and loading into an empty project. Is email your preferred support contact method? It is mine. I'd be happy to receive a response to my email.

46. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well I know it builds without errors on the recommended version. I am running it and so are hundreds of others. So I need to find out what you are doing differently then everyone else.

Mark_01 likes this.
  47. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Ok so it turns out that another person was using the Wrong Unity Build and receiving errors. Sadly there is nothing any developer can do about this until Unity stabilizes. For example I have been waiting for days for the next 2019.3 build because the current one throws errors on certain Static Meshes. There is no actual error, But until Unity updates this It thinks there is. Many Devs have just given up because of how long this is taking on Unity's part. I am attempting to stick it out until things are better with the builds. But please be aware that Devs Do Not control the Unity Builds and that like you we are waiting for things to Improve...

Mark_01 likes this.
  48. Algebra3

Algebra3

I sent you the screenshot with the correct Unity Version and the errors still showing. Looking forward to a support response and hoping you will come through.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  49. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Rift S Version of the kit was just submitted to the Asset Store. Will submit the Quest Version over the weekend.

50. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

I have an Oculus Quest version. Is there an update path of US 1 for Oculus Rift, or I have to pay the full price?