Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

No I don't have one yet so I can't confirm it yet.

2. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I just purchased it and will test it on the Quest, I'll let you know how it goes.

3. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

So I just did a build with the demo scene on a quest. Everything looked to be working well. except the movement was backwards.. pushing forward on the joystick moved me sideways. My hands were pink (missing materials).

However picking up the guns, firing them, using weapons and using the levers all worked well on the Quest. Just a few input issues.

EddieChristian and combatsheep like this.
  4. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi,

I purchaced and tried this asset.
    It's cool tool!:)

I have a question.
    I turn the HMD and go forward with VR_FPS_PLAYER_RAY prefab, but the positioning of forwarding and backing are GLOBAL.
    How can I set it to LOCAL?

Currently, I try to change the RigidbodyCharacter.cs around MotorXXX() and RotatePlayer(), but I can't do it.

Unity2018.3.14
    iMac 2019
    VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS v3.5
    Oculus Quest

Thanks

figure.jpg

5. TimeWalk-org

TimeWalk-org

The Oculus Quest is excellent, and affordable. I would throw all of my dev reaources into ensuring it works well on the Quest. In 6 months, no other platform will matter. Imho.

EddieChristian likes this.
  6. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The original kit was designed for front facing games. Meaning you face the sensors when you start the game. I debated adding other modes. I think I will add others on the next build.

combatsheep likes this.
  7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I will be out of the country directing some mocap scenes until July 1ST. Upon my return I will start updating things. The main kit will be for the Rift S. And the Mobile version will be for the Quest. The Go version will be replaced with the Quest Version. So anyone with that version will automatically have the Quest version. The Go Version is no longer supported by me because I feel the hardware is outdated compared to the Quest.

I appreciate those that understood why I waited until the new Oculus hardware came out and Unity was a bit more stable before I made any Major Changes to the kit.

combatsheep likes this.
  8. abysskeq

abysskeq

Also looking to buy for the Quest, and have a quick question I see monsters/npcs screenshots are there working monsters in this build? As in they attack you, and you can in turn attack them? I don't see anything written about that. Thanks! Also to confirm buying the Go Kit -> Will be quest when you update?

9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

There is melee and pistol combat currently in the kit.

10. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, SoloChristian.

Thank you for your considering!
    I'm looking forward to the next update.:)

11. novedman

novedman

I feel like I'm missing something here. I imported it, and I have tons of namespace does not exist errors. Are there other requirements too? I see no requirements or anything really, all the guides just jump straight into placing the player. Did I miss something? I've never had an issue with other assets, not sure why it's not working unless I'm missing another asset.

Edit: Could it be my Unity version? I literally just downloaded the latest one after a long break

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  12. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Read page 2 of the Online Docs. Now Unity requires you add the package manager.

13. novedman

novedman

I did that and I still got the errors. I just downloaded a slightly older version of Unity and it works perfectly now though. Unity 2019.3.0a5 is the one that didn't work if you're curious. Who knows if I broke something, it's been a couple years since I've done much in Unity. It was a pretty fresh install though.

And thanks for the quick response. Loving the asset so far!

14. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am in Taipei until the first of next month so I try to check the thread when I am able. Can't wait to get back to the US so I can get back to working on Unity stuff...

15. FourMileFox

FourMileFox

I'm using the VR_FPS_PLAYER_RAY prefab and experimenting with the player falling from floating island to floating island. When I walk off the edge of one island I begin to fall downwards, but then will start moving FORWARD through the air rapidly while descending. Any ideas on how to get the player to just fall down and not get pulled out on any axis?

BTW- Thank you for this kit. The First person Prefab has been a key for me to deliver VR pre-visualized environments for live events and conferences to our clients.

Cheers!

16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Jump and Falling code have adjustments to the movement. This is do to the fact that one of the first developers to use this made a game where you were Constantly jumping. So i added some adjustment code. Check those areas and adjust them to suit your needs. When I get back to the United States I will make sure those variables are exposed on the next build. So that they can be set in the interface.

17. Digital_21

Digital_21

Hey, I am loving the Kit :D ... nice and useful, just a quick comment: I would love to see a ready to add UI integration with unity canvas, I think it would be a pretty cool feature.

Keep up the good work!

18. anakein

anakein

how many time for update to oculus quest?

19. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Quest version will be out sometime next month. The update for Oculus Rift S will be uploaded this week.

20. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I am waiting to hear back from Unity support. Twice the new build was uploaded, but the store site was refusing to cooperate. Hopefully tech support will respond soon.

combatsheep likes this.
  21. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Now that I finally got the submission to work in the Asset Store, I should mention my plans.
    This next build can be called a Transition Build. The goal was to just get most things working in the current Unity.

1_I am not happy with incompatibilities with Oculus Avatars and Unity. So I am either going to do the custom hand thing or a full body avatar.

2_ I am testing and coding a system that turns the avatar when you are holding still to the direction you are looking. The hope is that while walking or running you can still look left or right and shoot without changing the direction you are moving. But if you are still and looking around, forward will more naturally be the direction you are looking.

3_ I need to look into an option to replace Text Mesh Pro that is free. Every time Unity updates this is riddled with errors. And it is getting a bit tiresome. If you know of good options let me know.

Now the next build does not have my colliders in the fingers because of changes in the Oculus SDK. So for this one build I removed the Push Button. But it will return when I switch out the Avatar system.
    I have to work at Siggraph. So when I return on August 3RD I will begin the new changes. And I freed up some time to work solely on this. When I am happy with the changes I will port it to the mobile version which will be for the Quest device from now on...

combatsheep likes this.
  22. anakein

anakein

Don´t work.

go to .net 4, because there is too much error.
    on play don´t work oculus rift
    show me this error
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    HAND_HAPTICS.InitializeOVRHaptics () (at Assets/SOLO PROJECTS/OCULUS VR STARTER KIT/SCRIPTS/02 GRABBING/HAND_HAPTICS.cs:46)
    HAND_HAPTICS.Start () (at Assets/SOLO PROJECTS/OCULUS VR STARTER KIT/SCRIPTS/02 GRABBING/HAND_HAPTICS.cs:34)

in clean unity 2019.16f

23. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Did you add the Oculus desktop package?
    See the first page of the documents.

24. anakein

anakein

is fine now.
    but documents isn't into package. and new unity system package manager is ........

thanks

25. Firewall

Firewall

Considering buying this, but had a question. If I'm interested in the Quest functionality (I know it's not included yet, but coming in a later update), should I buy the Rift S version, or the Go version? I'm not sure which will have the $1 upgrade. Thanks!

26. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Rift S version allows you to get the Quest version for the $1 upgrade price.

27. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I have a Quest version mostly working. There is a Unity Bug causing an issue. I am hoping to see a fix in a few days from Unity.

28. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So some NFO about Oculus Integration V1.39. From the several hundred complaints you will figure out that it is totally F*CKD when it comes to the Quest. So between this and the Unity bug I reported on the last post, Quest is not doing so well on the Unity platform. This does happen around Siggraph time. People are in a rush to get out new versions for the convention. And of course in that rush mistakes happen.
    So all I can do is wait until something is fixed.

Also I noticed that the Oculus Avatars are now requiring all users to get an App ID and enter it for the hands to work properly. I will add the steps to a video and the manual when I can release.

29. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

any news on BOW system?

30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I won't be adding the additional weapons until I have everything working with the current Oculus hardware.

31. anakein

anakein

issue is fixed on 2019.2.

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Actually it isn't. They said it will be fixed on 2019.2.1

33. anakein

anakein

one question christian. now i am waiting your update for quest and i am testing on rift.
    i try to hide oculus hands because i have character final ik moving with your component and work fine, but show avatar and hands over my character. can i hide avatar and hands?

thanks

34. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

There is a LocalAvatar prefab on the Player. Click on that and and find the Ovr Avatar script. There you will find checkboxes to enable the Body and Hands. Uncheck those and make sure to save the Prefab.

35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Finally found a version of Unity that properly builds for the Oculus Quest. It is version Unity 2019.1.14f1 (64-bit). I will be uploading the Quest build to the store tonight :)

combatsheep likes this.
  36. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So the new Oculus Avatar SDK requires that you get an ID # for your game.
    https://dashboard.oculus.com/
    In Unity on the top panel, go to Oculus / Avatars / Edit Settings to enter your ID #. If you don't the Avatar hands won't work properly.

The Quest version of the VR STARTER KIT was just uploaded to the Asset Store and is awaiting Approval. This Officially Ends any support for the Oculus Go by us. May the Go Rest In Peace... ;)

Now that I have transitioned to the new Oculus Hardware I will start making improvements to both packages.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    combatsheep likes this.
  37. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Just bought the oculus quest version. Seems the direction with the joysticks is weird. pushing forward makes you go left? Is this adjustable or is this a bug? Is there a way to make the player turn left or right in 45' "blinks? (See VR movement 2.0 for oculus touch which perfects 45' movement with blinking)

38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

First the game is Front facing, What ever direction you are standing in at the start of the game is considered forward. The left joystick is forward and back and side to side. The right joystick is for turning I believe. And you are free to adjust their sensitivity by adjusting the code.

The blinking thing is new. I will consider adding it...

combatsheep likes this.
  39. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Ah, I see. I'm not sure that's the best dynamic for an oculus quest adaptation, I can definitely see it maybe for a rift as most may be sitting. But keeping in mind that the oculus quest is free-standing and sometimes a huge play area when the person physically turns around in their play area the controls go out the window, is there an easy way to change this? Virtually all oculus quest users are going to be moving around, that's the entire point of going wireless don't you think? If you had a quest would you limit your players to only facing forward and not allow them to turn around?

40. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

This was the first port to the Quest. I am looking at options for choices on the movement. The options will be available in future updates. Also there is having the ability to run in one direction while looking and shooting in another direction. I have seen 2 major VR games that always have the player turn where they are looking and they both received Horrible reviews. People said it was confusing and induced motion sickness. So I have to find a happy balance.

41. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

OK sounds good. I would definitely look at the VR movement system, it pretty much nails movement in various forms. the 45' blink is especially easy on the eyes and stomach, virtually no motion sickness. I'm going to see if I can integrate it a bit into this asset, I bought this mainly for the melee and ranged combat. Turning was a bit of a stomach rumble lol, but so far everything else is good. Also, is there a way to not have object drop until a second button press is done instead of having to do a death grip on the controller?

42. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Look for the Second Press Release option in the Docs.
    And don't forget you have a Teleport option already as well.

43. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Ah yes I see it now, thanks! I'll start playing with this and look forward to the next update!

44. chad_unity279

chad_unity279

hi @SoloChristian messaged on email, but not sure if anything goes through :p

We are interested in purchasing your asset on the Unity store!

Question though however, our pipeline will most likely be testing things on the Rift, and then building on the quest.

Will buying JUST the Oculus quest kit impair us?

Thank you!

From what we've done so far, we haven't had any trouble with using the Oculus SDK to run the pipeline aforementioned.

45. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I responded in your email to me.

46. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Is there a place in the documentation that explains how to setup the Enemy AI, I'm having a hard time trying to replicate what you made in the demo scene, am I missing the section?

47. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-BuildingNavMesh.html
    This for navigation and then you can review the scripts on the monsters.

combatsheep likes this.
  48. anakein

anakein

i have both version, quest and rift.
    on rift i work fine. now, on quest, when i try run scene demo, say me, there isn't camera. and then. can i upload rift and quest asset in same project for testing?. i need quest testing on development without quest glasses(too slow).

regars.

49. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Quest version and the Rift version are 2 separate Unity projects. It sounds like you wish to build with the Rift version and have it automatically work on the Quest. That is Not possible with the Unity Editor. Now I have kept the code the same as much as possible so you can manually copy things to the Quest version easily. or you could manually convert a Rift Project to a Quest Project and have it work. But Unity has no Auto Function to allow you to build for Both at the same time.

50. anakein

anakein

oculus sdk permit it.
    i can build for rift or quest, i have not problem. only i have to change in players setting android or pc, but i can testing with my rift in editor mode.

for work, i install android and standalone oculus packet. but...

on quest version, when i try play in editor mode, start scene work, but demo_scene is paused always.

this is the error:
    UnassignedReferenceException: The variable StandardCamera of VR_DESKTOP has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the StandardCamera variable of the VR_DESKTOP script in the inspector.
    VR_DESKTOP.Update () (at Assets/SOLO PROJECTS/OCULUS VR STARTER KIT/SCRIPTS/01 RIGIDBODY CONTROLLER/VR_DESKTOP.cs:40)

more problem, don´t show hands and don´t work hands.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019