Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I will add it to the request list.

Mark_01 likes this.
  2. crashed

crashed

Same Issue on the GO - Here is how I got it to work.

When I pushed the demo app to my Go I got the same issue as described by Ewok - Black Screen with only music.
    I'm using Version 2018.3.5f1 of Unity.
    I was able to fix the issue by opening the store and importing the latest Oculus Integration package. Once I did that and pushed to the Go it started working. Excuse me while I go throw up. Running around in VR using the Go controller makes me sick.

3. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Unity has changed their rules about complete projects. Now you have to add certain things from the Package Manager window manually. I am not thrilled about the rule change and will update the online documentation over the weekend to explain it. Also I am looking into Unity's Asset Store Upgrades as a Possible way to split off separate devices and make the download size smaller. I will be looking over all this over the weekend and let you know what I sort out from it.

Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  4. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Ok it's like I started a Forest Fire by saying I would stop supporting the Oculus Go. ;) All the messages I have received over the last week have been about the Go. I am working on sorting out how to get different Pipeline Versions on the Asset Store as Upgrades. Once I sort that out, I will see what I can do about getting one last Go Version working with the Current Unity.

Also I have started a port to the VR LW Pipe. I have one issue to solve and then it should be ready to put in the store as an upgrade. Now I can tell you from experience the Pipelines are definitely not finished. Oculus doen't support them at all yet. So I am on my own to get them working as much as possible.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

6. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

could you please implement some simple dialogue system? Like speaking to a NPC in VR with chooseable answers like mass effect? I cant get it....

7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well there is nothing simple about a dialogue system but I will add it to the Request List.

8. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I've Updated the Oculus Go Example Project to the Current Unity version. I am sorting out now how to make it a separate download in the Asset store for existing customers. The reason for this is size. At 3 Gigs for the Go demo and all the variations we can have with different pipelines and hardware, I don't wish to have an Asset that becomes terabytes in size. Hopefully I can work out a system with the Asset Store to make this easier for all.

10. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have submitted the Oculus Go Example Project for The VR Starter Kit to the Asset Store. It should be a free download for existing customers. I will post when it is in the Asset Store.

StevenPicard likes this.
  12. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

13. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

StevenPicard likes this.
  14. Gigglebooster

Gigglebooster

I just bought this plugin last night and it seems really good. However, I'm having issue with the grab prefabs. If I use the built in FTP controller the grabs work fine, but if I use my own movement controller they are unable to release the grabbed object. Using the ray cast hands, I'm able to see the beam to the item correctly and it all works good, but then I can't release the item. It's the same result if the release box is checked or unchecked, it just wont let the item go. Is there something that releasing the item depends on that I need to add to my playerMovement object? I"m using like an outerspace thruster movement system so I can't use the FTP movement from this plugin, I want to use the grab and level features though they seem great.

15. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well I would check that:
    01 the structure for the setup is the same.
    02 you have the Tag and Layer set to "GRABBABLE"
    03 that your own movement controller is not colliding or interfering with the objects.

16. Gigglebooster

Gigglebooster

Ok thanks. What do you mean by structure of the setup being the same though? Like for the player movement? I dragged the hands prefab from your system right in there as well, so it has the correct tagging and layers set. The colliders may be interfering though I think need to check on that.

17. Gigglebooster

Gigglebooster

I also noticed that the FPS controller uses a local avatar prefab under it, is this required for these hands to work correctly? I generally don't like to use the local avatar and prefer using OVRplayercontroller with custom hands, will this plugin just not work with that type of setup? thx

18. Gigglebooster

Gigglebooster

Got it working finally. In case anyone else is running into this issue, it seems to only work with the Local Avatar setup. What I did, was drag the FTP player controller with ray into the scene. Then, I disabled the character controller script. Then, I dragged the movement scripts from my other system onto this FPS controller, on the main object where the character controller from this system was. I had to create a character controller on the OVRcameraRig object for mine as well. Then, to use the customerhand objects instead of the localavatar ones, I dragged the customhand objects under the hand anchors under the tracking system. For example, drag customhandleft under the LeftHandAnchor. You then need to drag the tracking space under the customhand's parent transform section. Then, I went under the local avatar object and deleted the hand objects from there. After this, I was able to use the custom hands and the ray casting from this system with my own movement system, and then with the custom hands you can create your own materials and objects for the hands instead of sticking with the local avatar ones. I'm using the LWRP as well and this works with it, this is the main reason I needed to use the custom hands as well, the local avatar hands are pink in LWRP and I could never figure out how to change that. To be clear, the movement system from this package is probably good but I needed a thruster system for the project I"m working on which it doesn't have.

ChunkyToads and EddieChristian like this.
  19. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Please add bow and arrow :( You said you will include it :(

StevenPicard likes this.
  20. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

21. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So it took 10 days to get a current version of the Oculus Go sample on the Asset Store. I updated it to the current version so it will build properly. Happily it no longer needs to be a huge Zip File that weighted the VR Kit down. As Unity progresses and gets their pipelines completed, We will be updating and adding features. We are at their mercy in that Oculus refuses to support the pipeline versions officially until they are completed. So in some ways my studio has to be patient and wait.

22. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Any news on Bow system?

23. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

When it is completed I will post about it. For now Adjusting to the Many Changes Unity goes through daily is our prime concern and focus.

Mark_01 likes this.
  24. Mark_01

Mark_01

Kind of an off topic question https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/zbrush-learning.html

Your learning guide for Iclone / CC3 ZBrush etc ... does it come with the finished model as well?
    I see Reallusion is selling the model OGRE for 20 $ and the full course to make it is 39 $, so
    really I would rather get the course as well, Just asking/assuming the Orge is also has a " finished " project
    folder for the learning?

25. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Yes I believe that Reallusion has it set up so you can buy the tutorials with the characters or just buy the characters separately.

Mark_01 likes this.
  26. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So the fact that I made another Oculus Go version has been the cause of some chaos. The Asset Store was not designed for Multiple versions of a Complete Unity Projects. Which I feel is a Major Issue with the fact Unity is coming out with Multiple Pipelines and the fact that companies like Oculus have different versions of Hardware. I should have just dropped the support on the Go entirely and been done with it.

Instead we have wound up putting the Go version on the store multiple times trying to find a way that would get it to work. I wanted it to be a free download to only VR Kit customers. That worked until someone just bought the Go example and was Locked out of the Original kit.

So yet again we spent a day working with the Unity staff online to find a solution. Now it is set up this way:
    If you buy the original VR Kit then you can get the Go download for $1.
    If you just buy the Go Kit for $20 then you can upgrade and get the Original kit for $25.

Until changes are made to the structure of the store itself, This is the only method we could find that actually worked. I was once asked why do developers just give up and stop updating their products once on this thread. I feel it is because of issues such as this. Asking a Developer to make 3 different versions of their product for 3 different pipelines and not giving them an easy way to distribute it causes a lot of frustration and eats up a lot of the developers time.

Luckily I am quite stubborn and don't give up easily. But I will say that I do hope all the changes to Unity wrap up quickly so developers can work on a stable base to update their products.

Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  27. Mark_01

Mark_01

I had the original kit, not interested in Go, but very much will want the Quest version, for some reason I had thought
    that you would be putting the Quest Version in with the Go version.
    So for the dollar even tho I will never use Go, as a developer I would guess that having separate package might
    end up with more $ in your pocket. I am not sure where Quest is at just yet. I am hoping to get one this summer.
    Maybe for my B-day :D

Thank you, I will get the learning course you did for Iclone. Thank you. CC3 standalone rocks.
    This Christmas they had really good deals on Iclone 7 and stuff... I could not say no.
    Looking forward to getting that course sometime soon, thanks for all the hard work.

28. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thanks for the kind words. The Quest will be used for sure. But first they have to release the darn thing (It was originally supposed to be out at the end of February) and then I will have to buy it and see what it can do. I am going to do my best to keep the download sizes down and keep things organized as best as the Asset Store will allow.

As far as Reallusion goes, My studio is working with them on another training project right now. :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi Eddie,

I built the project and installed the apk on my Go headset, and it works fine, except that I am having problems controlling the character? I only seem to be able to grab objects and move backwards using the touchpad, but not move forwards or left or right?

The Center Touchpad allows you to move around. Sliding your finger forward and backward will
    move you forward and backwards.

Sliding to the left and right turns you left and right.

Anyone else have same issue? I have not changed anything in the demo scenes, just built the project and copied to my Go?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Just move your thumb farther forward

31. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

OK, that does just about work, but its very tricky to move around...? I will try tweaking the Walking and Running parameters in the Character Controller.

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

33. Gigglebooster

Gigglebooster

34. rhardy5014

rhardy5014

Hi
    Just did the same thing, demo scene copied onto the Go and I'd agree the movement doesn't seem very accurate or consistent. For instance the character will just stop moving forward, like it's stuck on something invisible and moving backward seems faster than moving forwards (when it works)?

There is apparently a teleport option on the Rift version, is that option also in the Go version? If not I'd be grateful for any pointers on how to add it manually, bearing in mind I'm an artist not a coder....

First impressions of the software are generally good tho :O)

Cheers

35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

On all packages we added a build up in speed as you move. It was to aid people that get motion sickness easily. You can go into the code and adjust things to your preference at any time if you wish.

36. rhardy5014

rhardy5014

HI, thanks for the reply.

I think the problem is that the pad reacts to the slightest touch, when I try to pick something up the player turns (and loses the grabber) if my thumb is even slightly out of the center of the touch pad.

How can I turn off (or control) the touch sensitivity and move the player using a press on the pad instead?

I asked about a teleport option for the Go, like there is in the rift version?

How can I set the rotation of the player in increments rather than turn speed? I personally find it far less vomit inducing to snap 90 or 45 degrees when turning in VR (teleporting also helps).

If I were a programmer I could go into the code myself, but one of the reasons for purchasing software like this is so that artists / designers can create VR projects with minimal (or preferably no) coding, artists operate software, we don't write it very well, just think "programmer graphics" but in reverse.

Cheers

37. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

This just demonstrates one of my gripes with the Go controller. The touch pad is nearly useless.

38. rhardy5014

rhardy5014

Just found out about another issue with Oculus VR development in Unity, apparently several post processing effects do not work on the OVR camera rig because of an unresolved bug in unity. Unfortunately one of those broken effects is anit-aliasing, so currently any VR project on Oculus Go (developed in untiy with the OVR plugin) looks like a dogs dinner...a very jaggy one...thanks so much Unity.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...effects-are-not-applied-to-built-applications

EddieChristian likes this.
  39. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

In a very real way Unity is becoming 3 engines. This has caused a bit of chaos as things get altered, The plus side of this is the new Prefabs and the new Physics system that is coming. The downside is a lot of things may be broken for a time. As a developer, all I feel that can be done is to wait for a point in Unity's progress that shows stability and access to those new features. And Today I believe Oculus will release their new hardware as well. This of course, will cause things to change even more. And yes it will probably cause more bugs as well. My shop is expecting all this change and waiting out the storm. Because at the end of the day we have no choice but to be patient as these major companies evolve into our future tools...

StevenPicard likes this.
  40. rhardy5014

rhardy5014

Still waiting for a response?

How can I turn off (or control) the touch sensitivity and move the player using a press on the pad instead?

I asked about a teleport option for the Go, like there is in the rift version?

How can I set the rotation of the player in increments rather than turn speed? I personally find it far less vomit inducing to snap 90 or 45 degrees when turning in VR (teleporting also helps).

Also, how do I remap the Touchpad button (click to grab) to the trigger instead, the current controls are pretty much unusable...

Cheers

41. rhardy5014

rhardy5014

Actually, just figured out how to remap the grab button, much more usable now the trigger does the grabbing

42. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Glad to hear it. :) This is a Starter Kit and it is up to you to make any modifications you need to make it suit your purposes for the way you wish your game to function. I get requests all the time to make a custom version for someone. But if I did, I would be spending an eternity writing everyone else's games.

43. titifluki

titifluki

44. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

45. anakein

anakein

i'm waitng my oculus quest and your update for it for to buy your asset.
    one question.
    look this video
    or

you will support mixed reality?, i thing new room tracking is great. do you will hope support for it in the future?

thanks.

46. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I was watching a video where they were talking about what made it into the release. It seems that a 15 foot by 15 foot area is what it will track. They also show you the room you are standing in if you go past the boundaries you set (Because it has 2 cameras on the front). They said in the video they were considering opening up this feature to developers. Anything they will let us do I will try to add.

47. anakein

anakein

hi.
    when do you update quest integration?, i'm waiting for start my proyect.

thanks.

48. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Where is bow and arrow? :(

49. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Oculus Developers were waiting to see if Oculus was going to supply us hardware. We just found out they will not. So I assigned a budget to buy the Rift S and the Oculus Quest on the 15TH of June. Once they are in house I will be doing Updates on everything. Waiting was necessary to allow Unity refine their engine a bit.

50. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I saw that someone asked about Quest integration. Is it confirmed that this asset doesn't work with the Quest? Because I have a quest currently and looking for an asset to test with it.