Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. hoodoo

hoodoo

Hi @SoloChristian - just purchased your VR Starter Kit, and tried out your demo scene. Very cool! Looking forward to using it in my projects! Using a Rift.

EddieChristian likes this.
  2. aburian

aburian

Out of curiosity, this doesn't support gamepads, correct?

3. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I considered it when I was doing the Oculus Go Example. But then I decided we will be supporting the Oculus Quest instead. Melee combat is much more fun with proper VR controllers. :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  4. aburian

aburian

Thanks. Gamepads seem to be increasingly more popular with the Go given how limited the included controller is.

5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Very True and that was why I was considering it. But I am predicting a little bit that the Quest is going to wipe out the Go within 6 months of it's release. It's just amazing and it's less then $400.

6. aburian

aburian

I'm not so sure - I think the key competitor of the Quest is the Rift, not the Go. I say this because Oculus simultaneously announced the Quest and killed off the Rift 2. This is the audience that doesn't want to invest all that $$$ into a gaming PC, or doesn't want all the cables running all over the place, or wants to be entirely wireless, or wants to pay $3/game vs $20/game. I think the long term Oculus market will likely be Go + Quest vs. Quest + Rift.

Fun times for VR, though!

7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well only time will tell. But for now my plans will be to fully support Rift and Quest. If the Go survives past next summer I will consider supporting it again.

8. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I think the Go will continue because of its price and casual nature. It's easier to take the plunge on a $199 purchase than $399 and a lot easier to buy them as gifts. Plus there are many many users who are more interested in casual games than hardcore games (think of the popularity of them on the mobile market.) I agree with aburian. It'll be Go and Quest as the winners while Rift will exist as a niche product. Quest will be more fun to develop for but I do believe there's money to be made on Go.

Don't get me wrong. Quest is the game changer and the one I am most excited about.

Mark_01 and EddieChristian like this.
  9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Well for now there is the Port I did for the go in a Zip file. People may reference it if they choose to go that route. But this kit is about grabbing a gun or a sword and going at it in combat. You can't do things like 2 handed combat on the Go. Plus I have to spend my free time wisely. Supporting hardware I have no faith in seems like a poor time investment. Plus if you want to do a casual point and click thing, then you don't need a kit. It's fairly simple to code stuff like that.

StevenPicard likes this.
  10. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I'm not interested in point and click. I realize the limitations of the Go controller, it's just going to require some unique use of it. The two games I am working on are meant to be cross platform (VR wise) with the intention of simplifying it for lower end systems like Go. The archery will work fine with the Go controller and so will the wand game but it just won't have the realism that Quest\Rift would have with its superior controllers. Anyways, what you have is a good enough basis to work with, really. The challenge at this point is optimizing the graphics to make them run smooth enough which is something no kit can automatically do for someone, lol. I've been testing up to this point solely on the PC since I just got the Go recently. I'm just picky on my graphics and didn't want to sacrifice too much which will break my heart if I have to :). Anyways, my plan was to release two games on the Go and then focus on higher end after that.

Btw, I completely understand the limitation of time. I'm a full-time developer (over 25 years) but what little time I have I try and make as productive as possible which is why I spring board off of some premade kits such as yours (and I appreciate the work you've put into it.) I'm not worried about customizing it myself but if I can save myself time I definitely will. :)

Mark_01 and EddieChristian like this.
  11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I appreciate that and in a big way that is what the kit is. It is a starting point for people that are new to Oculus that wish to build upon it. The code is as simple as I can make it and very well commented. But I assume that it is just a starting point for others to build and improve upon. I included a complete game that people who don't like coding can swap their assets for mine and just play, if they want. And getting a quick Prototype of your game always helps. But it is my hope that people build something more complex with it. ;)

Mark_01 likes this.
  12. Mark_01

Mark_01

I will be getting the Quest as well. Will be so nice to not be bound by Rift.

13. Ew0k

Ew0k

Waiting for the Quest with bated anticipation :) Also great to see that this will support Quest once it comes out.

In the meantime however I am having issues getting the Oculus Go ZIP project to work.

I extracted the ZIP, opened the project and attempted a build and put the APK file on my Oculus Go with ADB. When I open the app in my Oculus Go, I get a black screen but can hear the background music playing.

Funnily enough the Home button won't do a thing. I have to press the power button on the Oculus Go (quick press not long press) off then on, then I press Home button and then I can suddenly see the level, but the VR is not working, I am seeing two separate screens in each eye with a line down the middle.

Have I done anything incorrectly I wonder? Perhaps I need to install an older version of Unity. I'm running the latest at the moment which is 2018.3.0f2.

My other Oculus GO projects build and load fine on my Oculus Go, so at least I know that is all working as normal.

Thanks,
    Ewok

14. Ew0k

Ew0k

Ok I'm downloading an older version of Unity now 2018.2.13. I see you submitted the package with that version, so hopefully it will work. Will let you know.

15. Ew0k

Ew0k

Yup that did the trick, all working now with 2018.2.13 :)

16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I see you sorted it out before I even woke up :) Waiting on the Asset store to approve the latest build. But be aware the Go sample is no longer being updated and will be replaced with Quest sample in the future.

Mark_01 likes this.
  17. Ew0k

Ew0k

Hehe yup, really glad that you will be supporting the Quest when it comes out. It's gonna be great to be able to use two controllers to interact with the world rather than one :) I've really enjoyed my Oculus Go though, but yeah the Quest is what its all about right now :)

Thanks again for this great Asset, I'll be sure to save the Oculus Go ZIP as a backup as I have some projects in mind to create still before Quest comes out. Have a great New Year :)

18. aburian

aburian

Also looking forward to getting the Quest as soon as it's available, but please don't give up on the Go! It has its uses. :(

19. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It's not a matter of giving up on it. It's just very limited. Like you can't throw items because it doesn't track the speed of the controller. Really the Go controller is very much a point and click device and that's it. What I think is going to happen is that for about 6 months it will be super cheap to get a Go. But as the public buys the Quest and starts showing it to their friends, The Go will just naturally die out. By next Christmas the Go will be gone. It is the way of things in the Tech world.

Mark_01 likes this.
  20. aburian

aburian

I'm going to try out what you have for the Go soon. Even if it has limited support, that would still be great! :)

StevenPicard and EddieChristian like this.
  21. HittmanA

HittmanA

Hey, I just got your asset and so far I'm really liking it! Are you planning on doing anything with full body or IK? Perhaps an integration with FinalIK?

22. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Ages ago I did a test with Final IK that worked fairly well. Then Unity decided to gut the engine and add multiple pipelines and I got distracted. I think after I sort out the different Pipelines and how to get them distributed with the new Asset store, I will go back to Final IK. So yes (In the Future) I will be adding this I think.

HittmanA and Mark_01 like this.
  23. HittmanA

HittmanA

Ok, nice. Also, for some reason the collider and the camera on the OVR player object seem to move independently of each other. Is there a way to fix this?

24. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

This has been covered a few times. It's designed so you can look left or right while moving forward/Backwards etc... People are welcome to adapt any changes they wish (Since it is a Starter Kit).

HittmanA likes this.
  25. aburian

aburian

I did finally try out your Oculus Go zip - and it does work well.

26. Ew0k

Ew0k

Same here, been playing with it and it's cool. Already using it for a new project :)

27. HittmanA

HittmanA

For some reason when I set the offsets in the Grabbable script to the values in the image below, I can no longer pick up the item. I tried it on an item in the demo scene and I was unable to pick it up as well. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Attached Files:

28. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have no idea which item you are referring to? and are you in the rift build. Most likely the offset value is too large. Remember Unity's Units is Meters so the offset values are usually quite small.

29. HittmanA

HittmanA

It was on one of the example pistol prefabs. And yes, I am using the rift. After some experimentation it appears that removing the Grabbable script and just adding it back fixes the problem.

30. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

After having the Oculus Go since Christmas I downloaded a bunch of games to see how well they worked on the system. Some were fairly impressive considering its limitations. However, the number one issue I have found, as SoloChristian has mentioned, is the controller. Some developers simply do not know how to make it work for their game. Some games are utterly useless since the developers couldn't get the controller to fit in with how their game worked (ex. using the touchpad for walking - the touchpad is terrible but for some games it works worse than others.) Fortunately, one of my games should work fine for the controller but the other I will probably just require the game pad.

EddieChristian and Mark_01 like this.
  31. aburian

aburian

It's an incredibly interesting device, if you understand its limitations and modify your expectations appropriately. Also bear in mind that walking, and in particular, smooth turning, makes most people nauseous. That's why Oculus, Sony, and HTC strongly encourage developers to steer towards teleportation and click turning. The Go controller has no problems with this control scheme. :)

32. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree but personally I'm not a fan of teleportation (although it has its place.) I personally feel it breaks immersion. I prefer to use tunneling when moving to help alleviate nausea but it's probably best to offer both options.

33. FourMileFox

FourMileFox

Hey, thanks for the amazing kit! I bought it this week for use with Oculus Go and am having trouble setting up grabbable objects and seeing a ray being casted when I create my own scene.

I have gone through your first few tutorials.

I've unzipped the separate Oculus Go Zip and imported it into a new project.

Your demos scene works, no problem when loaded to my go.

I've created a simple room and added the following:

1. VR_FPS_Player_RAY
    2. Event System
    3. Game Object with Cube inside ( both zeroed out) - EDDIE Grabble on the game object with Tag and Layer set to GRABBABLE

This builds to the Go and VR movement is fine but there is no visible ray when pointing at the cube and nothing happens when any buttons are pressed. When I compare your demo scene grabbable objects and VR FPS PLAYER RAY to mine they seem the same.

Also is there a way to have a ray being casted all the time?

Any thoughts? Thanks! =)

34. CabbageWarrior

CabbageWarrior

Hi there! Nice work! I am working on a project for Oculus Go and I have to make my player capable of grab/release (that works fine) and teleport.
    At the moment, I didn't find a way to use teleport in the project for Oculus Go.
    Is it possible to do that at the moment?

Thanks for your help!

35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

There were just enough controls to set up walking. The problem is the Oculus Go controller is very primitive at best. This is why we have decided to support the Oculus Quest instead in the future.

Mark_01 likes this.
  36. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

As I recall on the Go version it checks the tag on the item to show the ray. You would have to remove that part of the code to see the ray all the time.

37. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello

Will this work with Steam VR?

38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I don't think so. I never looked into it at all.

39. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

So this only supports Oculus?

40. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Yes that is why it is called "THE VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS"

StevenPicard and Mark_01 like this.
  41. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I had to laugh at this. Even though the word Oculus is clearly in the asset's name I even asked if you'd eventually add support for Windows MR and Daydream, so I have to laugh at myself, too. :D

Edited to add: And poor SoloChristian has to point out the asset's name each time. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    EddieChristian and Mark_01 like this.
  42. Christopher337

Christopher337

I was looking for a ladder system or some way to make objects climbable. Is there a chance something like this may be implemented? I can sort of wrap my head around grabbing an object (e.g. ladder rung) and then making the character controller move up in Y the opposite amount of the hand controller going down... well I wasn't too keen on trying to code this myself and was just curious if it might be in the works.

43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I'll add it to the list. :)

StevenPicard and Mark_01 like this.
  44. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I just tested it the kit with the newest Unity Build. I did notice that it did not properly add one thing.
    Go to:
    Windows/Package Manager/ Oculus (Standalone)
    and add it if it is not added automatically. It should have been but wasn't on my test. Hopefully Unity will correct that in the future.

Mark_01 likes this.
  45. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Sadly Unity is trying to keep it this way. A HUGE MISTAKE for Complete Projects!! I am trying to convince them this change makes no sense. But if not, this step may have to be added to the manual...

46. aburian

aburian

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm not a programmer, so I use different visual scripting tools to get things done. Is there a way to detect if the trigger button is pressed on the Go controller in your Go sample file? (yeah, told you it was a dumb question.)

47. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The demo game provides examples of using the triggers on the controllers and several of the buttons. But you must be willing to learn the basics of coding.

48. AJS654321

AJS654321

Hi, will this work with oculus go?

49. Mark_01

Mark_01

50. athosrojas

athosrojas

i buyed your kit yesterday and i not test it yet, i already have vr easy. and for me as i am not a programer but a 3d designer will be very helpfull. one thing. your kit is compatible with unet? can you show or make some fast tutorial for how use your kit along with unet for Vr online? "games, gamification aplications etc "