Search Unity

[RELEASED] EDDIE'S VR KIT / VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EddieChristian, Apr 3, 2018.

1. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Guys I am on my way to Siggraph and will be in Canada for a few days. When I return I will start on the next update to the kit. While I am gone I will not be available for communication. If your at Siggraph find me and say hello. :)
    https://s2018.siggraph.org/

Mark_01 likes this.
  2. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

What is next on the update plate? I really could use the bow and arrow system. :D

EddieChristian, J0linar and Mark_01 like this.
  3. ufulio

ufulio

Hi ... i just need to develop my games just for
    OCULUS GO on a MAC osx 12

will work for me ?
    only oculus go + MAC OSX 12 ?

thanks

4. losfulanitos

losfulanitos

hi ....
    i need to rotate with unity and oculus GO controller
    a weapond , any direction, and when touch some parts of the weapond
    show some small information on my game.
    is is posible with your kit please ?

here is a picture below to show what i need.
    thanks

picture 001.jpg

5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Hello;
    I don't own a Mac so I have not tested the hardware. But I am assuming the SDK is the same so there is a good chance it will..

losfulanitos likes this.
  6. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Since this is a starter kit, It does not have something so specific. It has turning built in.

7. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

What do you think of the new graphics cards?

8. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I saw the new Nvidia cards with built in ray tracing at Siggraph. They were Awesome! But the cheapest one is $2,800.00

9. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Upgrading my project fixed my issue from earlier (another stupid learning mistake) It took a few hours to reimport which allowed me to reflect on the past year. I've been cranking at this for years now but this year was when I finally decided to get really serious. Without your foundation for me to latch on to I would not be where I am today and I thank you so much for that. I have a full loop on MY GAME and that is something I used to think was impossible.

10. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thanks for the Kind Words :)

11. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

One of my students in my VR class just got a homework assignment nominated in the Raindance Film Festival!! Great Job Orly!!!

Mark_01 and therewillbebrad like this.
  12. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Does the VR Starter Kit for Oculus contain a 'fly' feature? Thanks.

13. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Sorry there is no flying feature yet. I will add it to the list of possible additions.

14. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I just wanted to let everyone know I haven't forgotten about the next update. It will be a little while due to multiple deadlines looming at my work, But it will be happening as soon as I can catch up things at work.

therewillbebrad and Mark_01 like this.
  15. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thanks for the update. Take time to rest too :)

EddieChristian likes this.
  16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

First question are you using the Proper version of Unity?
    You actually have to build the game in order to QUIT or Exit. This is not possible inside the Unity Editor..
    You can message me on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SoloProjectsStudios/

17. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

I see that the next update will have magic wands. I'm wondering what sort exactly and what will they do? Do they cast spells etc?

18. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Just got this on the store yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with how quickly i could have a player up and running in vr. Quick question, do u plan to implement vehicles?

19. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Its getting quite here, I hope its not another dead asset :(

20. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Sorry I didn't receive an email that someone had posted.

I am not sure how they will work in the end. It is always a matter of how to best implement things. Add to that the announcement of the "Oculus Quest" and I have a bit of thinking to do.

Mark_01 likes this.
  21. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I will add this to the possible list. Although I know I will immediately get complaints about Dizziness . ;)

22. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

NO Not At All!!! I just have to work a Normal Freelance Art Job to keep the bills paid to do this. And now that it is starting to be released, I can talk to the public about it. I had signed an NDA so chatting to the public was a No No :)

I got the offer 12 weeks ago to be one of the Key Creative Directors for Character Creator 3 and the GoZ Plug-In so it could use Zbrush.
    CC3 LINK
    It is a tool that I feel empowers Animators, Filmmakers, and VR Creators, So I jumped at the chance. Here is a page on using it for GAMES.

It has taken all my time over the last 3 months, but I am glad that I did it. Not only has it helped fund this kit for the next 6 months, but it allowed me to make new tools for the industry as a whole. There will be about 50 video tutorials created by my studio being released by Reallusion over the next month. And now that I am wrapping up that project over the next 2 weeks I can get back to VR.

I already called Oculus and tried to get an early release on an Oculus Quest. But they are holding on to them tightly. I do know that it will become the most popular build types for Oculus and this kit will fully support it. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  23. Mark_01

Mark_01

I must have been living under a a big VR rock HAHA.. I had not heard of " Oculus Quest " I went to to look ..
    WOW... I signed up for notices on Oculus Quest " .... at that price point ... I can see
    VR becoming way more main stream..

And congratulations on being involved with CC3 :) I had Iclone 6 .. am glad I held off
    on getting 7 right away ...

I did buy the CC3 standalone ASAP it was offered.!!! I love it and the new videos..
    I am most curious about the different possibilities with the GoZ to Zbrush.

Seriously CC3 standalone rocks!!
    P.S sorry for off topics, but they are game related in general. :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  24. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Mark_01 likes this.
  25. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

26. jleao

jleao

27. jleao

jleao

Hi guys, im new to unity and to the forum. I would apreciate some help on the following: i just started learning c# but i already feel confortable with unity interface and i want to build a 3d world, and then walk on it in vr, using oculus go. I can do the world part fine and even export it to my go and watch in vr, except for the movement with the control, how to do it? I bought the vr starter kit, but how do i set up my go control using it? Im a complete beginner so please excuse my ignorance. Would somebody give me a step by step idea? All i get from the vr kit is a zipped file for the go. What do i do after unzipping it? :) thanks so much for your help.

28. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Go Example is a complete Unity Project that is zipped. Unzip it to a separate location and then open the project in Unity. You can build the project to see the sample game. After that it is a matter of looking at the code and decide how you wish to modify it. Be aware that the Go controllers are Much more limited the the Rift controller.

Now this will be changing in January when the Oculus Quest comes out. It has full Touch controllers and we will be supporting it.

29. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

hi, just downloaded the VR starter kit, I'm on Unity 2018.2.19f1 using Oculus integration 1.31 The demo project doesn't start, just returns a error CS1061, 'OVRManager' does not contain a definition for 'headPoseRelativeOffsetRotation' and no extension method 'headPoseRelativeOffsetTranslation' could be found' I started with a clean scene, tried adding the VR_FPS_PLAYER_RAY prefab and the event system, and I'm getting the same errors. Documentation says to just drag and drop, so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The VR Kit has everything you need in it. Just create an EMPTY PROJECT and import the package. You should not do any Oculus SDK imports. It is already in the package.

Mark_01 likes this.
  31. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

yes, thank you. Oculus asked me to update the SDK and I clicked yes. my bad.

32. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

Hi, everything works great, except one thing. In the demo, if I try to grab the red button, the scene crashes. I can click it if I don't do any hand movement, but if I make a "grab" motion with my hands, it errors out.
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

33. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I can't reproduce this error at all. Not sure why you have this error. Have you changed anything??

34. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

I just created a new project, imported the package and ran the demo. It still crashes when I try to grab the button. When I imported the package, Unity did ask me if I wanted to update the OVR from 1.28 to 1.29 and I clicked "'no." Other than that I have not modified anything.

Edit: I did a test and added the script "pull me" to the button and it's not erroring out anymore. The error came from DRAGGED_Object.GetComponent<PULL_ME>().BeingPulled = true;
    It was looking for that component, but since the script wasn't on the button, it didn't work. I know that the button shouldn't be "grabbable" but that's the workaround I found.

Edit: I can deactivate (uncheck) the "pull me" script and it still works. The script just has to be on the button.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thanks , I see you are using Unity 2018.2.19f1 This week I will be updating to the latest Oculus SDK's and the latest Unity. I will double check this as well. It is odd that here that isn't happening at all. The button isn't Grabbable. So it is just ignored when you try to grab it.

Mark_01 likes this.
  36. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

I spent the day recreating some of the devices from the demo scene. I noticed something weird. Maybe it's something I don't understand about the system. If I go in the demo scene, grab the PullLever_RIG_VERTICAL_PULLED, rotate the entire object 180 degrees, it stops being responsive. The reason I tested it is because I couldn't get my rotations to work. on certain objects. They would not respond to being grabbed. I found out that they have to be oriented in a specific way to make them responsive. Below is a screenshot of the setup. I grabbed the PullLever, rotated it 180 degrees, and put it on the other table between the two guns. Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amg9u3tlPc2OiRWTKEIF2ld_MXGn

37. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Levers are set up as either vertical or horizontal . Check Unity Physics Constraints in the Manual and here:
    https://vimeo.com/album/5082193

38. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

Hi - how would you go about setting up a door with hinges? I tried but since the collider needs to be where the knob is, it ends up not being centered with the door pivot and it's not reacting when I grab it. The grabbing only works if the collider is centered with the pivot. (I think) I was able to do a drawer and a lever (like in the demo) - but nothing like a cupboard, or door where the pivot sits away from the collider.

I have to specify: For the levers in the demo, the collider is centered with the pivot Z axis. That works and I was able to make similar objects. However, in the case of a door, which rotates in Y and has its pivot on the left or right, the collider ends up not being aligned with the Z axis of the pivot. You cannot grab the collider unless you are in front of the pivot Z axis. Here's a visual of what I'm talking about:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amg9u3tlPc2OiRcjQNwRJD4_i-7R

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  39. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I just bought this asset. It's something I think would be great for two of my games! You mentioned that bow and arrows and wands are upcoming features. I could really use those. :cool: How soon do you think those will be added?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  40. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am Bug testing the Next Version of the kit now. I should be uploading it to Unity in the next day or 2. It will be for the current build of Unity and Oculus tools.

41. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I don't really have a schedule for these things as I develop around my full time job.

42. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I realize you are limited for time (same here) but any chance of adding support for Windows MR and Daydream? I haven't had a chance to look through the source code so it might be easy enough for me to add but then I'd have to make changes after each update.

43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I don't believe those are Oculus products, So that would be a different tool. I am looking at the Oculus Quest next..

44. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

VR STARTER KIT FOR OCULUS V3.5 has been Submitted to the Asset Store. It should be available in a couple of days.
    This updates the kit to the current Version of Unity and updates the Oculus SDKs that are used.

RELEASE NOTES:

On Unity Version 2018.3 you may see this error message:

Code (CSharp):
    3. [Physics.PhysX] RigidBody::setRigidBodyFlag: kinematic bodies with CCD enabled are not supported! CCD will be ignored. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    This is an issue with the Unity Editor itself. It does not affect Playing the VR Kit in the Editor. And Builds are not affected by this. Unity says they have corrected this error in Version 2019.1. So just ignore it. When 2019 comes out the error message should just disappear.

45. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Lol. Yes, Oculus is in the name of the product.

I think Quest is going to be the game changer. I am going to release some stuff for Go but ultimately I am very excited about Quest.

EddieChristian and Mark_01 like this.
  46. Mark_01

Mark_01

When I first heard saw Quest, I was like I gota have that. I have a Rift, but if Quest is as easy to
    use for Unity I want a Quest too, it does look very cool and yes game changer

47. wavyeye

wavyeye

Hi I just got your Starter Kit.
    If I create a new project in 2018.3.0f2 using the VR Lightweight RP preset and then import your kit, everything is reset to standard and goes pink.
    Is the LWRP not supported, and if not, why not?

48. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

The Lightweight and HD VR pipelines did not exist when this kit was made. When Unity completes them I will consider doing different versions. In the meantime, If you wish to make your own materials you can use the kit in the different pipelines.

49. wavyeye

wavyeye

The LWRP is expected to be complete in 2109.1.
    I find it odd how you do not support it considering the huge performance boost for VR.

Deselecting a few of the ProjectSettings on import gets the kit into 2018.2 with VR LW preset but I really want to use it in 2018.3 and going forward but currently it breaks Oculus.

50. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

A version for Unity 2018.3 was submitted for the store 2 days ago. When they have completed the pipelines I will be adding support as I said before.

Mark_01 likes this.