Search Unity

[RELEASED] Easy Character Movement 2

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Krull, May 5, 2021.

1. Krull

Krull

Easy Character Movement 2

DESCRIPTION

Easy Character Movement 2 is a robust, feature-rich, highly customizable, general purpose (not game-genre tied) kinematic character controller.

ECM2 can be used for any kind of character (player or AI controlled) and for a wide range of games like, third person, first person, side-scroller, platformer, adventure, point and click, and more!

ECM2 thas been developed with extensibility in mind so you can rest assured it will serve you as a robust platform to build your game or add your unique game mechanics on top of it.

ECM2 includes over 40 examples, ranging from using the new input system custom actions, PlayerInput component, first person, third person, target lock, twin-sick movement, dash, slide, ladders, AI, Cinemachine, Bolt, and many more!

Extensive documentation, and fully commented readable source code included.

WHAT'S NEW?

The Character Movement component has been completely rewritten as a fully kinematic character controller and as a direct replacement for Unity's Character Controller offering a similar workflow (Move function) but with many features and advantages over it.

A particularly important new feature is its new ground detection algorithm based on real surface normal, it supports all Unity’s primitive colliders (Box, Sphere, Capsule), Terrain Collider and Mesh Colliders (convex and non-convex).

First-Class transparent platforms support. The CharacterMovement component is able to transparently (without further steps needed by you) manage moving platforms, being dynamic rigidbodies, scripted, animated, etc.

Use Flat Base for Ground Checks. When enabled, it performs ground checks as if the character is using a shape with a flat base. This avoids the situation where characters slowly lower off the side of a ledge (as their capsule 'balances' on the edge).

Network friendly. Full control over its update and simulation timestep.

An many, many more new features!

INSTALLATION

ECM2 requires Unity's New Input System and is recommended to install it before importing ECM2 into your project as this will ease the ECM2 import process.

ECM2 includes Cinemachine based examples, this are distributed as a zip file, so before unpack this, please make sure to install the Cinemachine package into your project.

ECM2 includes Bolt based examples, this are distributed as a zip file, so before unpack this, please make sure to install Bolt into your project.

VERSION 1.1.0

* W A R N I N G !

Starting with v1.1.0, ECM2 is now a fully kinematic character controller and as a such it present significative changes.

PLEASE BACKUP BEFORE UPDATE!

How to update ?
    ============

- Its recomended to completeley remove the ECM2 folder from your unity project before import new package from store.

- Once removed, import the package from asset store as regular.

- Please refer to changes document for a detailed list of removed / deprecated files and data structures and its new counterparts.

FAQ

Do I have to use new input system?

No, while ECM2 uses Unity New Input system by default, you can completely ignore it an replace it with any other input system you prefer. ECM2 It include several examples of how to make use of old input system.

Can I use URP/HDRP with ECM2?

Yes, ECM2 doesn’t do any rendering, it’ll work with any render pipeline. The demos are made using the Standard Render Pipeline (built-in), as it’s still the only stable one, and the most common denominator, but you can use any RP you prefer.

FEATURES
    • Kinematic character controller.
    • Work the Unity's way, simply call its Move method, just like Unity' Character Controller.
    • Robust ground detection based on real surface normal.
    • Slope Limit Override lets you define walkable areas per-face or even per-object.
    • Configurable walkable area (perchOffset) lets you define the character's 'feet' radius.
    • Capsule-based with Flat Base for Ground Checks option. This avoids the situation where characters slowly lower off the side of a ledge.
    • Ground constraint, prevent the character's being launched off ramps.
    • Configurable Plane Constraint so movement along the locked axis is not possible.
    • Auto-stepping preserving character's momentum (e.g. its stride).
    • User-defined gravity and up vector for mario galaxy like effects.
    • Physics interactions.
    • Character vs Character interactions.
    • First-class, transparent (without further steps needed by you) platforms support, be it animated, scripted, or physics based.
    • Collision and Grounding events.
    • Network friendly. Full control over the update and simulation timestep.
    • Flexible and customizable behavior through callbacks.
    • Fully configurable friction based movement including water buoyancy!
    • Uses Unity New Input System as its default input (but not limited to).
    • Different movement modes and states, like walking, falling, unlimited variable height jump, crouching, sprinting, flying, swimming, etc.
    • First person, Third person, Agent “base” characters.
    • Full control over how a character is affected (or not) by external forces, platform velocity, platform movement and / or rotation, push other rigidbodies and or characters.
    • Character actions events.
    • Extensive and configurable collision filtering.
    • Different template scenes (First person, Third person, Side scroller, Top down) for faster startup.
    • 40+ examples including custom input actions, cinemachine integration, first person, third person, character events, bouncers, fly, swim, dash, slide, ladders, and much more!
    • Developed with extensibility in mind, can be used as it is, extend one of its “base” characters or simply take control of them using controllers such as other scripts or visual scripting (e.g. Bolt).
    • Physics Volumes, to easily handle water, falling zones, etc. with configurable properties.
    • Root motion support.
    • Simple to use but complete API.
    • Easy integration into existing projects.
    • Fully commented C# source code. Clear, readable and easy to extend.
    • Garbage-Collector friendly, no GC allocations.
    And much more!

ASSET STORE PAGE
    Easy Character Movement 2

DOCS AND SUPPORT

User Manual
    CharacterMovement User Manual
    API Reference
    Email

Please don’t hesitate to post any questions, doubts or issues on the package. I’ll be happy to help you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  2. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

I'm a big fan of the first version, glad to see this asset evolving!

I think I asked the same question in the old thread, but I want to know (as I haven't upgraded yet), how does the new version treats character to character collisions and pushing forces. In the old version the capsule checks when moving were necessary, so if a character was moving into other character, I'd reset the movement speed vector of the character so one character won't push another. This makes the character to stop, and when you're controlling that character, it doesn't feel good when your input is being nullified. Is there a built–in algorythm that prevents pushing and just makes the moving character to slide over another character, does the mentioned Collide and Slide algorithm have something to do with it?

Krull likes this.
  3. Krull

Krull

Hi @my_little_kafka,

Thank you!

In short yes, one of the big advantage of ECM2 over ECM, as previously stated, is the implementation of the Collide and Slide Algorithm, this is a form of continuous detection and response, basically it means that whenever our character collides with other collider (other character, rigidbody, a wall, ground, etc), instead of stopping our movement, we compute a sliding vector to let the character gracefully traverse the world solving future collision before it happens!

Actually the ECM2 implementation let you decide how to react to each of this contacts, the CharacterMovement is the responsible to perform all the geometric and collision related task, and in the end to physically move the character to its new computed position, while it let the Character to decide how the character should be moved (walking, running, falling, flying, etc), and how should react to contacts through the use of delegates, so in your custom controller (if needed) you can completely modify it as much as needed.

For example, when a collision between us (our character) and another character is detected, the CharacterMovement will call the Character's OnApplyPushForce delegate, so you can use this function to take full control over how to solve this collision.

Actually ECM2 is somewhat an hybrid between a fully kinematic and a dynamic controller, where all the collision of Character vs others (e.g. character walks into a wall) is resolved by us, while the others collisions vs Character (Character is hit by a moving platform) is managed by PhysX (but can be omitted too if desired).

In the attached image, you can find the Character (replaces BaseCharacterController) properties you can use to decide how it should react to physical interactions, but as commented is not limited to, as all can be extended / replaced in your custom Character if desired or needed.

Captura de pantalla (183).png

Mass
    This character's mass. Will set the Rigidbody’s mass.

Impart External Velocity
    If true, impart the velocity caused by external forces during internal physics update.

Impart Platform Velocity
    If true, impart the platform's velocity when jumping or falling off it.

Impart Platform Movement
    Whether the character moves with the moving platform it is standing on.

Impart Platform Rotation
    Whether the character receives the changes in rotation of the platform it is standing on.

Apply Push Force
    Should apply a push force to rigidbodies when walking into them?

Push Force Affect Characters
    Should apply push force to characters when walking into them ?

Apply Standing Downward Force
    Should apply a downward force to rigidbodies we stand on ?

Push Force Scale
    Force applied to rigidbodies when walking into them (due to mass and relative velocity) is
    scaled by this amount.

Standing Downward Force Scale
    Force applied to rigidbodies we stand on (due to mass and gravity) is scaled by this amount.

All those properties can be toggled at run-time as needed.

Regards,
    Krull

4. Pixelith

Pixelith

I was just checking up on the old thread to see if this released yet. Going to be upgrading as soon as possible. So many new examples, Character Events, Custom Gravity, I honestly can't wait to try this out!

I've been working on a sorta Hack and Slash type game using the first one. It worked by using a mix of Root Motion and traditional movement for different animations. I used my own event system to switch between these 2 modes. Does that type of quick changing still work here?

5. Krull

Krull

Hi @FireSwordStudio

Sounds great! one my preferred game genre to be honest :)

Absolutely, in ECM2 you can toggle root motion as desired, and it's easier than ECM as in ECM2 all you have to do is set its useRootMotion property to enable or disable.

actually it includes an example showing how to toggle root motion while walking taking advantage of its new movements modes and its OnMovementModeChanged event, for example:

Code (csharp):
    1. protected override void OnMovementModeChanged(MovementMode prevMovementMode, int prevCustomMode)
    2. {
    3.     // Call base method implementation
    5.     base.OnMovementModeChanged(prevMovementMode, prevCustomMode);
    7.     // Toggle root motion, allow when walking, otherwise, disable it
    9.     useRootMotion = IsWalking();
    10. }
    Actually ECM2 is not just a better motor (analog to unity character controller) but also a high level layer on top of what ECM offers.

Having said that, please keep in mind that while it shares a lot with ECM, its basically a new product so unfortunately there is not a direct port between ECM BaseCharacterController to ECM2 Character classes.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Regards,
    Krull

Pixelith likes this.
  6. Pixelith

Pixelith

I'm already loving it so far! Something I am having a bit of trouble with though.

I use a custom camera. I've noticed that without using the camera that comes with it, I get errors and my character won't rotate properly. Is there a way around this without editing code?

I wanna add that editing out HandleCameraInput() from the update fixes my issue, just gonna add a bool to use camera input or not.

I did a couple more edits to fix the Cursor Lock as well. I made it its own script and reference it instead so I don't have to reference the Original Camera Script at all.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  7. Krull

Krull

Nice, happy to hear it!

Are you using the ThirdPersonCharacter? If so, worth note this has been developed to make use of its included ThirdPersonCameraController, however as all with ECM it can be extended as needed.

In you case since you are using a external camera with its own controller (I assume), you probably should use a Character, and simply assign your Camera to its camera property so it moves relative to it (e.g. Its Rotation Mode), after all the ThirdPersonCharacter is just extending a Character to control the ThirdPersonCameraController.

Let me know if you need any further help

-Krull

RogDolos likes this.
  8. Pixelith

Pixelith

Ahhh, that makes a bit more sense. I was basing everything off of the MyCharacter Script provided in the examples, so I followed and inherited from ThirdPersonController. I didn't even think to just use Character instead. Thanks for the help!

Krull likes this.
  9. Krull

Krull

Yes, the Character is a full-feature highly customizable class, and the base for all your game avatars (player or AI controlled), however ECM2 already includes some Character derived classes, customized for different game-genres, like First Person, Third Person, Top Down (e.g. NavMeshAgent), etc. You can use any of these “base” characters as your parent class (e.g. Creating a derived Character class) or to be used by your Controller, but in the end all of those are just extending the "master" Character Class.

Take for example, the ThirdPersonCharacter, if you review the code, basically all it's doing is extending a Character class and adding input related code to handle the ThirdPersonCamera or another third person example you can take a look is the Cinemachine based one.

10. seoyeon222222

seoyeon222222

upload_2021-5-9_18-57-1.png

I share personal tips about using Cinemachine for configure Character Controllers (With ECM2)

CM example(CMThirdPersonCharacter.cs) manages InputAction through Script.
    (Initialization, binding etc..)

but Cinemachine can setting InputAction without Script
    The way is simple.
    Just add "Cinemachine Input Provider" and binding InputAction, setting related option to use.
    It will be helpful if you refer to the reference document for detailed setup instructions and related information.

There is no correct answer to the method.
    This is just a tip for users who configure character controllers using Cinemachine .

For the purpose of "ECM2 example,"
    I think the content of CMThirdPersonCharacter.cs will be more appropriate.

chelnok and Krull like this.
  11. seoyeon222222

seoyeon222222

There is parameters named "JumpLeg" in the "UnityCharacterController"
    (ex ThiredPersonCharacter Example animator..)
    It is used in Airborne Blend Tree

However, there is no script that uses that parameters
    Of course, it has no effect on Blend tree's behavior.

12. Krull

Krull

Hi @seoyeon222222

Thank you for sharing your tips, and sure will help me and others!

13. asored

asored

Hi :) Just a question: Will I be able to use this controller for animal character? I'm thinking about rotation on uneven grounds like mountains. What do you think?

14. mookfasa

mookfasa

First off love the ECM2 having used ECM1 for a while now. Trying to learn the new input system I was wondering if there was a way to toggle sprint instead of having to hold it down?

15. Krull

Krull

Hi @asored,

Well ECM and ECM2 are designed for vertical oriented characters (e.g. Humanoids) where it can be rotated as needed, e.g. Like Mario galaxy, but the bottom part of the capsule will always represent the character's feet and the area designated to perform the ground detection.

So you can approximate your animal volume with the capsule an let it handle the locomotion, and use a more detailed collider hierarchy like hit boxes to say something. For example:

dog_capsule.jpg

Here the yellow capsule will be your Character's capsule and is the responsible to control all your movement, however in case you use additional collliders, make sure those do not collides with character's capsule collider.

You can use the Character IgnoreCollision(Collider otherCollider, bool ignore = true) method to ignore additional colliders.

Regards,
    Krull

JohnnyGo-Time likes this.
  16. Krull

Krull

Hey @mookfasa,

Happy to know you like ECM2!

About your question, absolutely, in your custom controller simply override the OnSprint InputAction Handler method and replace its implementation as follows:

Code (csharp):
    1. // Overrides OnSprint InputAction Handler to handle toggle sprint
    3. protected override void OnSprint(InputAction.CallbackContext context)
    4. {
    5.     if (context.started)
    6.     {
    7.         if (!IsSprinting())
    8.             Sprint();
    9.         else
    10.             StopSprinting();
    11.     }
    12. }
    By other hand, I recommend this article to get familiar with unity's new input system, is really great!

Regards,
    Krull

17. asored

asored

Thanks Krull. I've bought your asset and I try my first steps :) But I can't get to work jumping behavior with Root Motion animations. "Use Root Motion" is checked. Also my model has the Root Motion Controller as component. But when I jump, my character first jumps up on the y axis with physics and after that the root motion animation runs. I could prevent this behavior by setting the Jump Impulse to 0..then the Root Motion animations works, but only on each third or fourth jump..for many jumps nothing happens, because the "OnGround" parameter is set immediately to true.

Do I made something wrong? :)

18. Krull

Krull

Not really hehe, its expected behavior since in other to make root motion jumps work, you will need to set your character's movement mode to Flying.

Quoted from user manual:

The reason behind this is because by default (walking / falling movement modes) ECM2 will discard any vertical velocity so it ignores your given root motion vertical velocity while in flying movement mode it uses the full velocity (lateral and vertical).

Having said that, the jump is always physics based, you can disable it overriding the CanJump method and make it return false and implement your own root-based jump, just play your root-motion based jump animation.

Let me know if have any further questions

Regards,
    Krull

19. Predulus

Predulus

Hi, so I just bought ECM2 and imported into my project. I realise that the 2D version is actually 2.5D, but my character is a 2D sprite, so I want to rotation to be instant. The manual says "Rotation Rate: If set to zero (0) will perform instant
    turns. This is particularly useful for 2D / 2.5D games to perform side to side lock rotation."

I set Rotation Rate to zero, but rotation is not instantaneous, it still rotates about the Y axis, meaning the sprite gets skinny, disappears, reappears, and gets fatter in the opposite direction, if you know what I mean. Help please :)

Edit: Hmmm the problem was me, not being observant :) There was a MyCharacter component already in Side Scroller Controller, so when I added my own MyCharacter directly to my sprite, it messed things up. So now, there's no slow 3D rotation of my sprite about Y, but the sprite does not flip direction when I move run the other way. Maybe this is something I have to implement myself. I'll get started - please let me know if this is the case.

Edit2: So I have a workaround by setting OrientToMovement and RotationRate to 1000000, but this is not ideal ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  20. Krull

Krull

Hello @mikedono

Thank you for purchasing ECM2!

About your issues:

Yes this is a "bug" since this feature was removed at last minute, but still managed to get in the manual. So Ill fix it in first update!

Having said that, actually its pretty easy to get the lock feature added, in your custom controller, e.g. using the MyCharacter from the SideScroller template scene, override the UpdateRotation mode to perform the movement direction lock as follows:

Code (csharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2. /// Extends UpdateRotation method to perform instant side to side lock rotation.
    3. /// </summary>
    5. protected override void UpdateRotation()
    6. {
    7.     Vector3 movementDirection = GetMovementDirection();
    9.     if (movementDirection.sqrMagnitude > 0)
    10.         transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(movementDirection, GetUpVector());
    11. }
    The above code will replace the Character's rotation mode (ignores rotation rate) to perform an instant rotation towards movement direction vector.

Regards,
    Krull

Predulus likes this.
  21. asored

asored

Hey Krull,

first of all I'm very excited about your efforts to help your customers :) This is very rare and I really appreciate it!

So for my understanding: The best way I can go is to create a Custom Character class and extend the Character class, right? There I can overwrite the functions I need for my preferred behavior.

For example I wrote this for my Root Motion Jumping behavior:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Prevent character to jump because of root motion
    2.     public override bool CanJump() {
    3.         return false;
    4.     }
    6.     // When the character jumps, set IsJumping to true. After the animation finishs set it again to false
    7.     protected override void OnJump(InputAction.CallbackContext context) {
    8.         Debug.Log("Jump");
    9.         if (!this.animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(0).IsName("Jump_Trot")) {
    10.             _anim.SetBool("IsJumping", true);
    11.         } else {
    12.             _anim.SetBool("IsJumping", false);
    13.         }
    14.     }
    I think caused by setting the CanJump to false and deactivating physics jumping, events like OnLanded() are not triggered...so I could not find a better solution than waiting until the animation finishs to set the IsJumping to false. Or do you know a better solution in this case?

Also I see that when extending the Character class by removing the Monobehavior the character does not react anymore for inputs like Crouching and Sprint. It still moves and jumps, but all other inputs are ignored. Is this an expected behavior?

Thanks in advance! :)

Best regards,
    Asored

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  22. Krull

Krull

Hi @asored,

Thank you, glad I could help :D

About your questions:
    Yes that's correct, however this is only really required when you want or need to extend the Character base functionality, as in your case, replace the physics-based jump with a root-motion based.

Sorry if I was not clear enough, to implement a root-based jump, you just need to play your jump animation in response to jump input, so basically you are replacing the Character Jump (physics based) with an animation.

For example to trigger your animation from jump input action:

Code (csharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2. /// Override OnJump InputAction handler to trigger a root-based jump animation
    3. /// </summary>
    5. protected override void OnJump(InputAction.CallbackContext context)
    6. {
    7.     if (context.started)
    8.     {
    9.         var animator = GetAnimator();
    10.         if (animator)
    11.             animator.SetTrigger("jump"); // Use your trigger name here!
    12.     }
    13. }
    However, the above code will just trigger your "jump" but remember to use root-motion vertical velocity, you need to set the character's movement mode to Flying and when it completes change it back to Walking or Falling as this can be safely be used as the exit movement mode, since those are automatically changed based on character's ground status.

Typically I handle this kind of "jumps" using a StateMachineBehaviour so you can use its OnEnterState / OnExitState to change the movement mode as needed, as follows:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using ECM2.Characters;
    5. public class RootMotionJump : StateMachineBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     // Cached Character
    9.     private Character _character;
    11.     public override void OnStateEnter(Animator animator, AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo, int layerIndex)
    12.     {
    13.         // On RootMotionJump state enter...
    15.         // Cache ECM2 Character
    17.         if (_character == null)
    18.             _character = animator.transform.root.GetComponent<Character>();
    20.         // Set Flying movement mode to use root-motion vertical velocity
    22.         _character.SetMovementMode(MovementMode.Flying);
    23.     }
    25.     public override void OnStateExit(Animator animator, AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo, int layerIndex)
    26.     {
    27.         // On RootMotionJump state exit...
    29.         // Exit Flying movement mode.
    30.         // Its perfectly fine use Falling as our exit movement mode since it is automatically handled based on character's ground status.
    32.         _character.SetMovementMode(MovementMode.Falling);
    33.     }
    34. }
    Since we are replacing the Character's Jump, we will not receive the jump related events, e.g. OnJumped, OnReachedJumpApex, however other events like OnWillLand, OnLanded, etc will be triggered as those are not jump related but ground status based.

Having said that, If you still having issues, and in case you prefer to reach me through email and willing like to share the root-motion based jump with me, I can set a basic working example for you, as this will be more clearer seeing it in action.

Regards,
    Krull

23. Predulus

Predulus

Hi @Krull,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it :) I'm sure ECM2 will be awesome when I get it working. I added the overload you suggested:

It didn't have the desired effect:

I've tried with Rotation Mode: Orient to Movement, and None.

Cheers
    Pred

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  24. Krull

Krull

Ah I see, I think this is caused because you are modifying the character's scale, which I strongly advise against as it will mess with the rigidbody.

The solution I gave to you, will rotate the character side to side (you can try it with Unity Character).

Another alternative is to disable character's rotation (e.g. rotation mode == none) and use your scale method BUT on your sprite model and not on the Character's transform.

Also and easier option, is disable character's rotation and just flip your sprite on x, e.g. Flips the Sprite texture along the checked axis depending if moving to right or left.

Last but not least, please make sure your sprite's visible side are aligned with character's side, in the side-scroller the character defaults to forward (along world z-axis), so take that into consideration.

Let me know if need any further help.

Regards,
    Krull

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Predulus likes this.
  25. Predulus

Predulus

Hi again Krull :)

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that I still had the scale code in there, and I removed it, but you obviously saw my post before I edited it haha. I took the scale code out but still had the problem. The updated code and clip are in the original post now. I will check your post above and see if there's a solution there.

Thanks again
    Pred

p.s. "Another alternative is to disable character's rotation (e.g. rotation mode == none) and use your scale method BUT on your sprite model and not on the Character's transform."

Oooh I see. Gonna try it thanks mate.

26. Krull

Krull

Hi @mikedono,

Yes :), let me know if that worked for you, if no, Ill send you a modified sidescroller example so you can try it.

Cheers,
    Krull

Predulus likes this.
  27. Predulus

Predulus

Sorry @Krull,

that still doesn't work - it orients the sprite along the Z axis.

Cheers
    Pred

28. Krull

Krull

Yes, that's what I mean about the character orientation :), so when your character is rotated the sprite faces the wrong direction.

Here I attach you the modified side scroller example with a very basic sprite attached, so you can take a better look at it.

To use it, simply import the attached package into a project with ECM2 installed on it. You'll notice the code is the same I shared earlier with you, just the character and sprite orientations are modified.

Attached Files:

29. Predulus

Predulus

Thanks very much @Krull, you're the best :D

30. Krull

Krull

Awesome!, happy I was able to help :)

Regards,
    Krull

Predulus likes this.
  31. mookfasa

mookfasa

Awesome thank you!

Krull likes this.
  32. mookfasa

mookfasa

ECM 1 had an example for custom rotation. How would one implement that on ECM2?
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         protected override Vector3 CalcDesiredVelocity()
    2.         {
    3.             // By default ECM will use the moveDirection to compute our desired velocity, however you can use this method
    4.             // to modify this behaviour, in this case we simple move the character's toward its current view direction
    6.             return transform.forward * speed * moveDirection.z;
    7.         }
    9.         protected override void UpdateRotation()
    10.         {
    11.             // By default an ECM character will be rotated toward its given moveDirection, however you can use this method
    12.             // to modify it, in this example to perform a tank-like rotation.
    14.             // Generate a rotation around character's vertical axis (Yaw rotation)
    16.             var rotateAmount = moveDirection.x * angularSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    18.             // Rotate character along its y-axis (yaw rotation)
    20.             movement.rotation *= Quaternion.Euler(0f, rotateAmount, 0f);
    21.         }

33. Mythran

Mythran

in ecm2 how how do we make the character auto-crouch on trigger or when a a collider collider with the head of the character?

34. Krull

Krull

Hi @mookfasa

Actually is quite similar, however since ECM2 adds a higher level layer, IMO it is somewhat easier to do, for example:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using ECM2.Characters;
    5. namespace ECM2.Support.CustomRotationExample
    6. {
    7.     // Extends a Character to perform a tank-like rotation
    9.     public class MyCharacter : Character
    10.     {
    11.         /// <summary>
    12.         /// Extends HandleInput method, here to move along character's forward vector
    13.         /// </summary>
    15.         protected override void HandleInput()
    16.         {
    17.             var movementInput = GetMovementInput();
    19.             SetMovementDirection(GetForwardVector() * movementInput.y);
    20.         }
    22.         /// <summary>
    23.         /// Extends UpdateRotation method to rotate along character's yaw.
    24.         /// </summary>
    26.         protected override void UpdateRotation()
    27.         {
    28.             var movementInput = GetMovementInput();
    30.             float yaw = movementInput.x * rotationRate * Time.deltaTime;
    32.             AddYawInput(yaw);
    33.         }
    34.     }
    35. }
    Regrds,
    Krull

35. Krull

Krull

Hi @Mythran,

You can use the Character Crouch and StopCrouching methods, for example using a trigger:

Code (csharp):
    2. private void OnTriggerStay(Collider other)
    3. {
    4.     if (!other.CompareTag("Player"))
    5.         return;
    7.     Character character = other.GetComponent<Character>();
    8.     if (character)
    9.         character.Crouch();
    10. }
    12. private void OnTriggerExit(Collider other)
    13. {
    14.     if (!other.CompareTag("Player"))
    15.         return;
    17.     Character character = other.GetComponent<Character>();
    18.     if (character)
    19.         character.StopCrouching();
    20. }
    By other hand, a Character will report a movement hit event (e.g. OnMovementHit(...)) the passed MovementHit struct let you know the hit location WRT capsule (e.g. bottom, sides, top), but this is only triggered if the character is moving, however you can use regular OnCollisionXXX events and use the CharacterMovement ComputeCapsuleHitLocation to check if is a top hit.

Once you detected a head collision, proceed as the trigger example.

Regards,
    Krull

36. asored

asored

Wow. Thanks! The OnLanded() event triggers again now! This solution is very elegant.

Now I have the next challenge...I see that there is no setting to react on uneven grounds regarding the rotation. See the following image:

When the ground is ascending, like a mountain or other slopes, the character does not change the rotation parallel to the ground. Is there a helper function in your script to handle this?

I wish you a great day and again: many thanks in advance. I appreciate your great support!

Best regards,
    Asored

Attached Files:

37. Krull

Krull

Hi @asored,
    Awesome! thank you for the update and happy to know I was able to help you!

Ah yes, well it is not implemented by default, ECM2 includes an example somewhat similar, PlanetWalk where the character follows the planet contour its not exactly what you need.

Having said that, Ill create a basic helper component to allow a character follow the terrain slope, once available ill post it here (prob tomorrow), and actually this will be added to package on first update, thanks!

Thank you and have a nice day too!

- Krull

38. Pixelith

Pixelith

Hey so I'm having a weird issue that I'm not sure why its happening.

When I switch to Root Motion Movement on the fly (like how I did it ECM1) I'm getting a weird teleport. It isn't across the map teleporting or anything. It's maybe a couple of spaces forward from the character. But its still a little jarring.

Here's the code I'm calling to switch between the 2 modes.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void UseRootMotion()
    2.     {
    3.         useRootMotion = true;
    4.         SetRotationMode(RotationMode.None);
    5.     }
    6.     void DisableRootMotion()
    7.     {
    8.         useRootMotion = false;
    9.         SetRotationMode(RotationMode.OrientToMovement);
    10.     }
    Any help on a better way to handle this would be great. I might just have to use root motion the whole time.

39. Krull

Krull

Hi @FireSwordStudio,

That's strange and to be honest, I have no noticed it before, actually ECM2 includes a toggle root motion example (ECM2\Samples\Examples\2.- Animation\Root Motion Toggle) where the character only use root motion while on Walking movement mode.

This example makes use of the Character OnMovementModeChanged event to toggle root motion based if the character is walking or not.

By other hand, while using root motion or not, you can default the character's rotation mode to RotationMode.OrientToMovement, as the only way a Character will use root motion rotation to orient the character is setting its rotation mode to RotationMode.OrientWithRootMotion, while RotationMode.OrientToMovement disables the character rotation at all.

So in your case you simply set useRootMotion property value to true to move the character with root motion, and set it to false to move the character procedurally.

Regards,
    Krull

40. Pixelith

Pixelith

I think it has to do with my animations. I've noticed one of my animations doesn't blend to the next so smoothly so its causing the jump I mentioned. Its only from running to the animation in question so I'll figure out the fix. Thanks for the super quick response though!

Krull likes this.
  41. Pixelith

Pixelith

It took a little bit and staying up way past late, but I squashed the issue. I have my own little homemade asset for combo animations and it used CrossFade to attempt smooth animations, however it was always breaking with the first and only first animation.

I decided to add a bool that allows for a "Start Intro Transition" function. Basically, the first animation in the combo will use a transition from Mecanim instead of calling crossfade like the rest of the animations.

TLDR: I fixed the issue in my own asset and it now works perfectly.

42. Mythran

Mythran

Thank you very much, will you consider on adding a vault or step height or perhaps a ledge climb example?
    I'll try to add these either way. Could i ask you alot of help for these? :x

twitchfactor likes this.
  43. asored

asored

Hi @Krull

Thanks! Its very rainy here for the next days and weeks. So..I have a lot of time for ECM2.. hehe :D

Oh, that's great! I'm excited to see your way to handle this. Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day,
    Asored

Krull likes this.
  44. Krull

Krull

Hi @FireSwordStudio,

Thank you for the update, and happy to know you was able to solve your issue!

Cheers,
    Krull

Pixelith likes this.
  45. Krull

Krull

Hi @Mythran

For high steps, it is already included, an ECM2 character can climb a step up to its capsule height, just adjust the stepOffset property as needed.

By other hand, yes, I have planned to add further examples to ECM and ECM2, like vaulting, wall run, wall-grab, etc. however those will be part of future updates.

Regards,
    Krull

Mythran and Pixelith like this.
  46. Mythran

Mythran

Thank you very much.
    Regards!

Krull likes this.
  47. Predulus

Predulus

Hi Krull,

I'm using Spine to create animations, and I want to use PlayMaker to manage changing states. How can I integrate that with ECM? Should I edit OnMovementModeChanged, and get a reference to my PlayMaker FSM and send a PlayMaker message to it? I'm thinking that's what I probably need to do. I'm still pretty new to Unity, PlayMaker, Spine etc, but not really so new to programming, maths, physics etc ;)

Edit: Okay, I have got this basically working, using the method above, but I need to know, when the player goes from moving to stationary, what is the MovementMode? Is it MovementMode.None?

Cheers
    Pred

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  48. mookfasa

mookfasa

Once again thank you!

Krull likes this.
  49. cursedtoast

cursedtoast

Is there upgrade pricing for those of us that bought ECM1??

50. Krull

Krull

Hi @cursedtoast,

Absolutely, those who bought ECM in the past 90 days (from ECM2 release date) should get ECM2 for free, while current ECM users who decide to upgrade to ECM2 have an upgrade discount, basically the price difference between both versions, so upgrade price is about $25 USD, at least that's what I set on portal :D.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Krull