Search Unity

[RELEASED] Dynamic Decals

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DanielDickinson, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Korindian

Korindian

@Llockham-Industries I'd have to agree with the others. I'm at the point now where I need to decide whether to stick with the legacy pipeline for my project or use the HDRP. From what I read yesterday by one of the Unity devs, the HDRP will still be experimental in 2018.3 and relies on other elements of Unity that are not finished (new terrain system, new vfx editor) before it can be even considered ready. Even if those things come out in preview in 2018.3, it'll be much longer before they are considered production ready as well. There are a lot of other things that aren't ready for HDRP, for example some sort of a surface shader equivalent, a way to do custom decal shaders and skyboxes using the ShaderGraph, etc.

Even then, I have a feeling that it will take even longer for HDRP to be stable and relatively bug free. Based on all this, I'm heavily leaning on sticking with the existing pipeline instead of HDRP, and need some sort of supported decal solution for it.

I can understand not wanting to port Dynamic Decals to the new rendering pipelines (I don't even know if anyone was expecting that), but can you at least continue to support the existing pipeline? As long as you're clear on the Asset Store page that you won't support the new rendering pipelines, I don't see why you would need to stop selling Dynamic Decals as well. Devs will continue to need a non-experimental, battle tested solution for the existing pipeline for some time to come.

Thanks for listening.

2. coverpage

coverpage

I haven't even used the asset once since the sale. And it's now deprecated.

Maybe open source it when most developers has moved to 2018. Please at least do this @Llockham-Industries

3. Eiseno

Eiseno

Same here. I still dont use the package and deprecated why ? @Llockham-Industries

4. megan_l_fox

megan_l_fox

Yeah, just another vote in favor of keeping this around. I can still download it, since I bought it - and thank goodness for that, didn't need it right then, but now! heh - and I'm not planning on migrating past Unity 2017 for a long time. 2018's got a long ways to go until you can customize it to not have that Unity Look again, and I'd assume that'll bleed well into 2019 too.

Thankfully, the old case of the new Unity killing all previous versions shouldn't happen anymore, thanks to the LTS versions. I'd assume a metric ton of us are going to perch at Unity 2017.4 LTS, and just wait the 2018/2019 shift out until they finally figure out how to make it customizable again.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    lucasmontec, bravo075 and recon0303 like this.
  5. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

@Llockham-Industries the vast majority of people won't switch to scriptable render pipeline soon - most people are mid-project and in my case, I'm also relying on a large number of asset store purchases that don't support SRP. Many will even stick to 2017 LTS. You can continue building on, and selling, Dynamic Decals so long as there's a message at the top saying it doesn't support SRP.

Sluggy, Rich_A, slimshader and 6 others like this.
  6. OneManArmy3D

OneManArmy3D

Same here.

zyzyx likes this.
  7. PieterAlbers

PieterAlbers

Bummer - would have love to see this asset being supported until the HDRP/LWRP aren't experimental anymore and actually production ready. Which could easily take another year or so...

8. SmashedAvocado

SmashedAvocado

Just wanted to add my support here for supporting the 2017 and below pipeline. I'm using Dynamic Decals (love it!) in a current project and I'm sad to see it gone :'(

9. GfK

GfK

I'm a year into my own project, using Dynamic Decals in Unity 5.6 Pro, and have no intention at this time of upgrading to Unity 2017 or 2018. So the disappearance of Dynamic Decals is... how to say... inconvenient at best. Can't say I've any bugs to report at the moment so let's hope it stays that way.

I get that it wouldn't make sense to support Dynamic Decals for a minority audience, but have Unity 5 users become that already?? :/

recon0303 likes this.
  10. recon0303

recon0303

Anyone making a real release ... Won't be using 2018. or most won't...One 2018, is full of bugs..Two most people that have experience, are going to stick with there current version....This is common when making a game.. Not every one will update..... But I get Lock's point, he does not WANT to make more money...for something he MAY not be able to support going forward for the current Unity version....Now he said he will support 2017 and older ..and keep replying to them...So lets cut his some slack... I personally, love this asset and bought it week one when it was released. I rarely posted as I didn't need any help. But, seeing this asset off the asset store guys don't mean its gone for ever.. If he re-writes it, for 2018, maybe it will come back... but for now 2018, it won't work..SO I get his point.. But I also get everyone elses for 2017 and older..That we will not be updating, and we want to keep using...So it sounds like he will still reply to us and support those versions. So I would relax, and be happy with that. Most devs that do this disappear all together. So Thanks for still replying to emails for users who bought it. Now as far as the new rendering, it is a ways off, we all know this. .. But some new user will try to use it for 2018, with the new rendering and throw a tantrum that it won't work right now, so I see why it shut it down. for that reason.. Hey as long as he replies to emails, for support. Everyone should be happy. That is all we need really. As long as bugs get fixed, then we all should be good to go. in my opinion anyways. :) /cheers

11. recon0303

recon0303

I hate to say it but yes. Many users are on 2017, and 2018. The ones on 5.6, are people with released games. or just don't want to update. Nothing wrong with this as its common for released games not wanting to update. It can open a can of worms for some release games to and cause more issues for them. So I get that. but yes, there are less people using 5.6. sadly. Remember a good % do not make games, most here make games for fun. So the ones that actually release is a smaller amount compared to those that don't.... I'm personally on 2017. but I had issues with mobile in 5.6 so I updated . Normally I stay back a few versions due to Unity's poor untested releases ... Since Unity 5. I been here 9 years its going worse. hehe. anyways, I wouldn't worry about it, you are fine. If everything works, he said he would still suppport the asset when people need help.

bravo075 likes this.
  12. recon0303

recon0303

I would agree . I would add DOES NOT WORK WITH 2018 for the new rendering, and list both......Works with out. I would add a logo, of sort saying DOES NOT SUPPORT, SRP, HRP.

13. ceebeee

ceebeee

I'm beginning to see why he abandoned this, after I read this from another developer:

So unity is going to be forcing off the Marketplace anything that doesn't support the SRP by the end of the year! I really can't believe this insanity. There's so many people with no intention of using SRP or especially the LWRP, to just kill off all assets is ludicrous. No wonder he gave up.

recon0303, shikhrr and bravo075 like this.
  14. DavidJares

DavidJares

just another thank you for taking my money and now giving a sh.. about customers. As a student this with limited money this is no fun. I also didn't come to the joy of fully using it in production. But I was relying on it to be in my toolchain. What about opensourcing it ? What about answering in this forum ? Hey , got a better Idea. What about a Refund ? Thanks for nothing

bravo075 likes this.
  15. bravo075

bravo075

Greetings. I'd like to say that I really liked this plugin, but I don't know what happened with the latest version (before it was deprecated) because it is completely broken, I had to go in and modify shaders and methods in scripts that were completely removed. Sorry but this just seemed like a beta version and somehow it got released on the asset store for some reason, maybe it wasn't your fault but you should at least leave a working version before deprecating.

hopeful and recon0303 like this.
  16. recon0303

recon0303

Just a thought, I would be careful of what you buy going forward, after 9 years + of using Unity, I have cut down about 85% of making my own tools now. and only buying from KNOWN developers who I trust and have used other tools that made.. .So moving forward I would just be more careful..also, always expect an asset to NOT last due these reasons.. maybe the developers isn't making any money? real life reasons, and other reasons.. While I agree with much of what was said....Keep what I said in mind as well.. I bought this asset near its release. and I was using in two games.. I made my own tool now, and removed this completely. I know not everyone can, but I suggest to try.. learn, do as much as you can, to make tools your self. in the long run, you will be happy its yours and your code. anyways..... Even if you don't know how...You can learn.. how. I have made my own more, due to the very reasons many of you are talking about.. its annoying I know and agree with you all 100%.

bravo075, one_one and hopeful like this.
  17. Bitboys

Bitboys

My friend, don't worry if the asset doesn't work with the new render pipelines. I wanted to test my current project myself with the hd render pipeline and when I saw that all the custom shaders stopped working I went back to normal pbr mode. I think he's practically using it, I work at Unity 2018 with no render pipeline. I recommend you to reactivate the asset and since I have not been able to use it for long either and if it does not work with the new pipeline you only have to notify the new buyers. I think few assets are adapted and I think it's a shame that unity is forcing us to change to something that doesn't work well.

bravo075 likes this.
  18. homerender

homerender

Hi. After update our project to Unity 2018 all parameters from Dynamic Decals was reset. It's still placed where it should be, but all settings is empty (default). We can setup it again (all looks good) but it's will take a long time and we afraid situation can repeat. Author, can u specify when your asset will be updated? I think better solution for us will be just wait and don't do anything with decals before.

19. ceebeee

ceebeee

I guess you missed where he removed the asset from the asset store, and won't be updating it anymore.

20. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

I was able to resolve this issue by clicking on the prefab in the scene, and "revert to prefab". That, or some similar easy fix, but my memory is hazy on this.

21. DavidJares

DavidJares

@recon0303 Thanks for your input. And I know that one cannot count on support forever. theres no guarantee. However there's some good habits which shall be considered when deprecating an asset. Communication, Maybe Open-Sourcing, at least something more than ..+++###.. for the paying customers. I surely agree on your philosophy of making your own tools to be a viable one. Well but not for me in many cases. I simply cannot invest that much time currently to come up with some advanced tools . You may say, well then youre in the wrong business and better do something else. You might be right, but no, were in 2018. There's the Asset-store selling payed Assets for Unitys shortcomings. I PAYED for it to be able to use it. Somehow I saved up some money for which I had to work in order to buy something so that I'll be able to use it. Because I wanted to use that feature, but didn't want to invest that amount of time it would need. (Well, I might look into decals one day). I actually like the economy around the assetstore. If it works. And that asset had a really good uptime. Only too short. I want to use those features because I could easily get a professional execution of those features for free by switching to Unreal-Engine. These are not features from another Galxy. Unity is a 3D-Engine. 3D Games need Decals. as they need Shaders and good Lightning-possibilities & Shadows. These are features which one should expect from a 3D Engine to deliver. It just *****.

recon0303 and mgeorgedeveloper like this.
  22. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Does this work in 2018.2 or does anyone have a better solution?

23. ceebeee

ceebeee

bravo075 likes this.
  24. tcz8

tcz8

Well dang!

So what shoud I do now if I want to allow blood decals over the entire map and skin meshes?

Is there ANY alternatives worth mentioning or did the best decal asset just disappear off the map?

Im on unity 2017 can I still buy it? Can I have it for free? ;P i guess not but still, what do you guys recommend?

25. ceebeee

ceebeee

Probably the next best is Easy Decals. you can find it in the Asset store.

recon0303 likes this.
  26. recon0303

recon0303

I hear you. and agree. not always good for everyone to be able to. but trust me, another reason to learn another engine as well....most engines have these basic tools as well. Unreal does. Unity, sadly we need to make many of the basic tools our selves or buy what is on the store. I do this for a living, and cost us money when a developer disappears, its worse when they are DLL's...UGH.. So I hear you....but these assets are dirt cheap compared to what it would cost you if you made your self, or if you hired someone........So again if you like an asset, I do suggest to learn it front and back, and nothing should stop you from still using this asset.....If Unity makes changes, fix accordingly. I still use a few that went under 2 years ago, as it was cheaper for me to fix myself, than re-write it all...and yes I understand not everyone is a programmer....but it won't hurt to learn the tool you love....EXPECT one day all of these assets to be gone....That is the way game development, software, development is, so while I agree with you...You need to accept the fact this will happen... Also the Unity devs leave these threads open, some people keep using, and try to help one another as well. after it gets closed. So those are the options. I have over 50 grand since 1990 of software...that I no longer can use.....So no offense, expect it . So its the hard truth....

By all means, just ask questions , and do your best.....No one has time for everything....we are a small company, and I left a larger company , huge risk, so lets not talk about time....we are all in the same boat, but people need to figure out, what is more important to them..and yes everyone is different. sorry to be so harsh.. . Its better you know, and understand this will keep happening.....I hated that Auto Desk, Adobe, went FULL SUB.... so I stop using. and went else where... So it happens... expect it. anyways, I hope this info was helpful.. and it wasn't meant to be a jerk, I'm just blunt. and hoping you understand the field a little more. so it was meant to share my experience. after many years of being in this field.

....But I do agree with most of what you said. /cheers.

27. tcz8

tcz8

I have seen that one, I'll give it another look.

Im also going to look into 2018.3 and the new decal features.

Thank you!

28. AndreasO

AndreasO

Is this asset really dead? What just happened?

29. ceebeee

ceebeee

30. AndreasO

AndreasO

31. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

But the thing is, Unity doesn't force devs to do that (I dunno if they require the support in the future but right now majority of the items sold there aren't SRP ready). Also worth nothing that either of Unity provided SRPs (LWRP or HDRP) aren't even production ready this year so in this case the dev just literally took an excuse and ran away right after big sale. There's no way the seller can pin this on Unity.

32. ceebeee

ceebeee

Well they can, since Unity is making support for the new RP's a hard requirement. This was in fact being discussed recently in another thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...srp-mobile-support.480051/page-4#post-3602924
    Start reading there and down. It's funny that even among Unity employees there's confusion about it. but the Dev there does a pretty good job of laying out what developers are being told to do. (which is Support LWRP/HDRP or else).

33. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

Damn shame, I thought I found the perfect decal asset too... hope the dev carries on with a new asset in the future.

Velo222 likes this.
  34. garryjnewman

garryjnewman

Also want to add my voice to the "there's still value in this" crowd

35. peachpieproductions

peachpieproductions

Hey guys I know this asset is deprecated, but I am using it in 2017.4 just fine. Only running into one issue.

When I enable instancing on my projection, they start overlapping based on my world position (seen below)

Do you have any idea what could be happening?

Thank you so much

36. ceebeee

ceebeee

Really it looks to me like your run of the mill Alpha Z-fighting.

37. peachpieproductions

peachpieproductions

Thanks for your reply!

Yeahh. the odd thing is it only does it when its set to instanced.

I want them instanced because it only uses one draw call rather than 1 call for each decal when not using instancing.

Have you seen this before in your own experience?

38. ceebeee

ceebeee

Not specifically with this product, but I imagine all the old wisdom applies:

https://www.unity3dtips.com/unity-z-fighting-solutions/

39. Rich_A

Rich_A

Hi all, I would like to upgrade to 2018 (in order to use the Book of the Dead Assets, and Vegetation Studio Pro) but this asset is a major one holding me back to 2017.4. Has anyone had any success using the 2018 default decals, or another decal asset? Or maybe someone has just upgraded to 2018 without Dynamic Decals breaking? I'm using it for blood pools.

40. ceebeee

ceebeee

appears to still work fine in 2018 (assuming you're not using HDRP or LWRP of course):

Rich_A likes this.
  41. Rich_A

Rich_A

Thanks. With the deprecation I assumed the worst.

I'd be willing to pay an upgrade fee for a version of the asset that was future-compatible, once the new pipelines are out of preview and worth Lockham starting work on.

The Unity store needs to better handle Asset compatibility though. Lockham being 'forced' to deprecate the asset, despite the big install base of 2017.4 LTS users where it still works perfectly fine, should be an example of store failure.

AndreasO likes this.
  42. ZJP

ZJP

Indeed... :(

Sluggy and hopeful like this.
  43. flippingkiwi

flippingkiwi

@Llockham-Industries please do consider making this open-source, so that we the community can continue to support/update for each other it in your absense.

I, like many others, am far too invested in the built-in render pipeline to be able to migrate to the new ones, and your decal system is the best we're ever going to have for it!

Rich_A and AthrunVLokiz like this.
  44. DanielDickinson

DanielDickinson

Hey guys

I wasn't forced to depreciate the asset by the Unity asset store. The asset store team have been nothing but wonderful and deserve as a tonne of love. This was a personal decision, I didn't feel comfortable continuing to sell something that I couldn't future proof. Life also got in the way, I've been away from the package for quite some time, again, it would be unethical to continue selling something I knew I wouldn't have a tonne of time to continue supporting.

It does seem there is a large consensus that the package should be made open source, and I'm definitely open to this. I was under the assumption it would be considered a betrayal, you all did pay for the product after all, but it appears this is not the case. I'll see what I can do.

Also, @peachpieproductions, turn off instancing on your decals. When decals are instanced we have no control over which order they are rendered, Unity manages it for us.

Crasssam, Griffo, zisaboy and 2 others like this.
  45. AndreasO

AndreasO

To be honest I'd rather get the source code and be able to fix things myself than just losing this asset. Oh and I payed for this. ;-)

bravo075 and hopeful like this.
  46. Rallix

Rallix

Hi @Llockham-Industries,
    good to know you're at least reading this thread.

I was as sad as everyone to see this asset deprecated and I'm sure the Asset Store team as well, since they continued to include your asset in newsletter promotions for quite a while afterward. :)
    I use WebGL – which, according to the Unity team, can't and won't work with the new rendering pipeline, at least not anywhere in the near future. There's a problem with builds right now in 2018.3, but otherwise, I'm very happy with the state of the asset.
    Personally, I certainly don't see it as a betrayal if you decide to make this open source; after all, I only care about it being usable. It's an incredibly versatile set of tools; so there's not really a benefit from exclusivity.

That's the thing I loved about this asset, actually. The potential. I initially just wanted something which would allow me to smear blood on clothes but you included much, much more – painters, erasers, omni-decals etc. – all well-documented and with nicely done demos which were basically three to four fun games with all core mechanics in place – done and gift-wrapped for us. You genuinely made me change the design of my game and add puzzles and magical abilities based on painting and erasing the colours in the environment.
    Now, would I really want to give that up for a render pipeline which isn't even in active use yet and won't be for a year or two (possibly never on my chosen platform)?

It's your decision, of course. But I (and a bunch of other people as well, from what I've read), would be perfectly fine with you clearly stating on the store page that you won't support the new pipeline, and continuing with this amazing thing you've already created.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  47. SF_futurlab

SF_futurlab

Hi there, just adding my voice to the current situation where us (as a studio) are stuck somewhere between new preview mode features and depreciated asset store plugins. I've been testing the HDRP thoroughly and have got good results, but wouldn't really call it production ready yet (unless you have a render specialist on your team). That leaves us with the built in render pipeline and diminishing asset store support.
    I'm sure in a year this will smooth out, but right now its very hard to make a clear decision on which Unity version and pipeline to use. In the short term, being able to use dynamic decals and the built in engine is useful, and having community support on this great plugin would be useful until the big switch over is a better option.

48. Griffo

Griffo

Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can change the albedo texture in the ProjectionRenderer script at runtime please.

Thanks.

49. TSabos

TSabos

I'm pretty sure everyone who purchased it is already a bit miffed that the support ended and it's starting to have deprecation warnings in 2018.x, so making it open source to have a chance of the community contributing on Github or something to try to support it going forward can't be anything but a positive move in my mind.

I think we just all want a Decal system that works without having to deal with HDRP or LWRP. Supporting those I don't care about.. just want the tool stable for the forseeable future.

trojanfoe_ likes this.
  50. BurningToad

BurningToad

Has anyone been able to get the dynamic decals working with Unity 2018.3 builds?

Velo222 likes this.