Search Unity

[RELEASED] Dungeon Master level generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by vchevalier, Feb 25, 2017.

1. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Dang! I've been checking every day! :confused:

Oh, well....

2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

What a surprise! It's approved and on the store!!

3. vchevalier

vchevalier

Yeah! :D I'm so happy! :D It was accepted as is! I will start working on a plan for the next versions very soon!

HellPatrol and StevenPicard like this.
  4. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

My suggestions in order of importance (my importance, anyways :rolleyes:):

1. Dynamic Navmesh generation.
    2. The ability to spawn different prefabs, tiles and dungeons based on the distance of the original starting point so a game can vary and also increase in difficulty.
    3. Two player support for split screen (and since we'll most likely be using a 3rd party or custom made character controller) you just need to be able to generate tiles, etc. from more than just one player location.

:D

5. vchevalier

vchevalier

Don't worry, I will take that into consideration. :)

6. vchevalier

vchevalier

Thank you for the review Steven! 5 stars! :D

StevenPicard likes this.
  7. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Well deserved! Now get back to work! :p

vchevalier likes this.
  8. vchevalier

vchevalier

9. vchevalier

vchevalier

Version 1.0.1 is out!

I'm currently working hard on the Dungeon Master Lite. I should submit it to the asset store in a few weeks. Then it's back to the Dungeon Master to create new features and improve on the existing ones!

StevenPicard likes this.
  10. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hey guys!

The Dungeon Master v1.0.2 just came out. It doesn't contain new features, just a couple of minor bug fixes and it contains an easy upgrade path for... the Dungeon Master Lite!

I completed the work on the Dungeon Master Lite and it should come out on the asset store in the next few week (just waiting for Unity to approve it). For those interested by the Dungeon Master but don't want to spend the money for the full asset, the Lite version will be sold for a cheap 20$. And you can easily upgrade from the Lite version to the full version if you want the extra features.

Let me know if you have questions!

Now, I'm already working on the Dungeon Master v1.1.0 (and also the Lite version v1.1.0) which should get some cool new features such as Runtime Navmesh generation!

StevenPicard likes this.
  11. vchevalier

vchevalier

This is it! The Dungeon Master Lite version just arrived in the asset store! It was accepted as is by the Unity asset review team! Yeah! :D

So, if you want to try out the Dungeon Master Lite you can do so right now! You get most of the features of the Dungeon Master for a fraction of the price. There is also an upgrade path to get the full version without paying the full amount if you already have the lite version.

Here is the link toward the asset store:
    Dungeon Master Lite

Meanwhile I'm working hard on dynamic NavMesh generation for both the lite and full versions. Things are looking good! :)

StevenPicard and Rockwall33 like this.
  12. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hey everyone!

The Dungeon Master (full version) is currently on sale!
    Now is the perfect time to get it!

u3d.as/Gmb

13. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hi everyone!

I just submitted a new major version (1.1.0) of the Dungeon Master to the Unity asset store for approval.
    Main new features:
    - 2 dynamic NavMesh solutions (one to use inside a dungeon and one to use anywhere else in your project)
    - A lightweight nested prefab solution (that you can use anywhere in your project)

There are a few other minor enhancements and bug fixes.
    You can see tutorial videos about the new features over here:

Prefab Helper
    Generic Dynamic NavMesh
    Dungeon Dynamic NavMesh

Keep in mind that the special launch price ($60) for the Dungeon Master full version ends with this new version coming out (new price will be $80). So you still have some time to get the full version at the special launch price. But as soon as Unity approves this new version, the special launch price is gone.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    StevenPicard likes this.
  14. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hi everyone!

A new minor version for the Dungeon Master (both full and lite version) was released today! It contains a couple of performance enhancements and bug fixes for the dynamic navmesh system, as well as new options to control the minimap, customization possibilities for spawn points and some other performance boosts!

Things are going well, I will soon tackle more important requests like the modular level generator (to allow multiple level building algorithms to coexist in the same dungeon and even the possibility to create your own custom level building algorithms) and a complete revamp of the minimap camera system so it is easier and more efficient to embed in the UI.

Stay tuned!

StevenPicard likes this.
  15. vchevalier

vchevalier

16. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hey everyone,

This is the last day of the Cyber Monday week and your last chance to grab the Dungeon Master at a reduced price. 30% is the best deal there ever was on the Dungeon Master, so make good on this opportunity! :)

Also, if you own a copy of the Dungeon Master Lite version and want to upgrade to the full version, now is the last day for the cheaper upgrade price.

Here are direct links to the assets:

Full version: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/79435?aid=1011lJJI

Lite version: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/91666?aid=1011lJJI

Thanks to all of you for your support!

17. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hi guys!

A new version of the Dungeon Master was released on the asset store a few hours ago. It contains enhancement to features already in place such as dynamic nav meshes, some user requests and, the most interesting new feature: a revamp of the map system that allows to have maps that behave differently for each level!

Here is an example of a new map mode:

StevenPicard and Rockwall33 like this.
  18. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hi guys!

Just a quick note, the Dungeon Master (both Full and Lite) are currently 30% on the Unity Asset Store for the May Madness sale. Check it out if you're interested:

Dungeon Master Full
    Dungeon Master Lite

19. maxaud

maxaud

What’s slated for the next release?

20. vchevalier

vchevalier

Hi maxaud!

There currently a version in review by the asset store team. This version upgrades the Dungeon Master to the new prefab workflow (it will be compatible now).

My next feature release is not a big one. I just want to add a couple of new simple and helpful features, but nothing too big.

First of all, I plan to deliver a new level generator called "Spiral level generator" which will be a great tool to generate islands or other roundish levels.

I also plan to add an event system. So you could create scripts that listen to Dungeon Master events: Stuff like entering/leaving a room /level/dungeon or picking up an item or unlocking a door. You could use this to display the newly entered level name in the UI for example. Or use this as a trigger to launch a cinematic or anything.

I want to add an option to hide a type of lock on the map. So, for example, let's say you have a character that faces a mysterious wall. This wall would not be displayed with anything special on the map until the character picks up a particular item and then the character understands that this mysterious wall is in a fact a secret door. Once the character picks up the item, you would like to display the mysterious wall on the map for the character to easily backtrack all the way. That's the feature I want to implement.

These are the elements I have planned for the next release. If will also look at my user requests and see if I can slide some of them in.

I might do another little release after this one and then I will move on to working on Dungeon Master 2.0: a major rewrite to allow rooms of different sizes: which is THE most requested feature.

Were you hoping for something in particular in the next version? Let me know, I might be able to add it in for you!

StevenPicard likes this.
  21. maxaud

maxaud

At this time I was just reviewing different dungeon scripts for my next game concept and saw the roadmap on your website didn't list any details so wanted to inquire.

Additionally, since, the last post on this thread was from some months back I was curious as to what type of response time I would see (if any), as I have been the victim of abandonment on some other assets before.

Glad to see a timely response and some cool features in the works. Thank you.

22. maxaud

maxaud

One thing I will have the need for is multi story dungeons but I cannot have them overlap, or if they do they will need to be of a very specific type of room. My camera angle will be a top down view similar to Diablo III. I'd like for the dungeon to vary in elevation with stairs but not overlap one room above another.

Playing the "Escape the Sewers" demo I do like the idea of bridges or walkways that change elevation in a single room and can see a "bridge room" above a normal room so it's not blocking the view of the room below it working for my scenario.

Is this restriction feasible?

Thank you.

23. vchevalier

vchevalier

Yes, I admit that I didn't maintain this thread a lot. To be honest, I kinda forgot about it, I'm mostly only updating my website. But yeah, I'm still working on my asset and I plan to keep working on it for a while (probably a couple of years at least). :)

The "bridge room only" or "nothing" should be possible but it would require a bit of code in addition to the usual configuration.

(Disclaimer: here I'm getting a bit technical)
    You could extend the DefaultLevelGenerator class and modify a method to make sure the room candidates for the coordinates over your other rooms always exclude the "non-bridge rooms". It's not that complicated to do. Once your level generator is done, you simply add it as a component to your level to replace any other LevelGenerator. This code could be in a either one of the following methods when you override it: SelectRoomToAdd, FindMatchingRoomCandidates or GetCoordinateCandidates.

For the configuration side of things, you would have to setup your "up room connector point" to accept 2 kind of connections: wall (which means there's nothing connected on top) and bridge-room (so you allow bridge rooms over other rooms). The configuration is very easy to do, but would not be enough to pull off this trick, you need to change the code for room candidates.

Let me know if you have other questions! And if you start working on this and need some more pointers, let me know, I'll be happy to help. :)

Let me know what you think.

Good luck with your project!

maxaud likes this.