Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. mick129

mick129

I'm looking for the best way to generate medieval/fantasy village with a certain logic, can you point me on the right direction toward the best workflow to use?

I was thinking about using your grid workflow tool but I was wondering, is it possible to build a theme that would acte differently depending on the grid area?
    In this example, could I use the alternate area (orange section) to be the merchant area and setup only shops?

Thank you!

upload_2020-11-21_21-56-48.png

2. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@mick129 sure, you can spawn a bunch of shops in those nodes using ``Spawn Item`` Exec node. In your theme file, you'll choose which meshes (shops) to spawn. You can control how the shops are placed using a placement script. If you need more info on this, please le me know

mick129 likes this.
  3. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've added support for mirror volumes. This will allow you to create symmetric levels, for your multiplayer games

shyamarama likes this.
  4. spottedzebra

spottedzebra

Hiya, I'm trying to create something like the following in 2D, what type of generator do you recommend? Playing around with the grid flow editor, it seems like it may not be a good fit.

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

@AliAkbar I just purchased Dungeon Architect for use with the Lordenfel asset. Only trying the demo scene from Lordenfel, hitting "Build Dungeon" I noticed that the walls don't align:

da2.jpg
    da4.jpg

Looks like the generated rooms are intersecting. Any idea how to fix this?

This is such a very powerful combination of 2 assets and i'd like to have this working properly :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@spottedzebra Snap would work great with this. There's a 2D sample for snap builder in the launch pad

7. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thank you. Lordenfel is an awesome asset. the misalignment looks like a connection setup issue in that room prefab. Perhaps @Mana-Station could have a look?

Rowlan likes this.
  8. jiigga

jiigga

Hello Sir!
    I'm looking for 2D, 2.5D platformer dungeon generator. I've searched everywhere on this thread, but can't find a clear answer. Some 3-4 years ago you said that you'ŗe just planning it.
    So, is it capable of making such dungeon and if yes is it limited somehow?
    Thank you!

9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hey @jiigga There are some 2D and side scroller samples in the launchpad.
    01.png
    There's also a mario example if you want to build something like it
    02.png

jiigga likes this.
  10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I missed a mail @Mana-Station sent a while ago regarding this issue. I'll have this issue fixed soon

Rowlan likes this.
  11. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've fixed the overlap issue with the snap builder where, in some cases the bounds were not calculated correctly. The fix will be available in the next update soon

This also fixes the overlap issue in the Lordenfel DA samples

@Rowlan

hopeful likes this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Awesome, thank you very much!!!

13. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Submitted a new update:

Version 1.13.0
    * New: Mirror Volume allows you to create symmetric dungeons.
    * New: Added a mirror volume sample in the Launch Pad window
    * Fix: Fixed a null pointer issue when grid flow item markers had empty nodes
    * Fix: FindLongestPath function produces correct result
    * Fix: Snap builder was not generating correct bounds for some prefab types, which was causing overlaps

This update is available for unity version 2020.1+

Duffer123 and Rowlan like this.
  14. jiigga

jiigga

Superb. That's what I need. Thank you. Already purchased your asset!

15. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I have been tinkering with the asset for a week or so and decided to use it in a little 2d Top-Down project to begin with. I have a ton of questions but thought I might fire a couple off to begin with. Some of these would be in relation to both my 2d and 3d projects.

1. Is it possible to make it so that Doors (or even wall props etc) only appear in Horizontal Walls?
    2. Is it possible to make it so that a Sprite for Doors/Walls/Fences etc doesn't rotate at all or perhaps be locked off at a specific rotation angle?

Unfortunately my pixel art isn't pure top-down like in the supplied 2d examples so thus far my best grid dungeon result is a similar setup to the ground corner beautifier but for walls instead. However this method screws me over for accessing standard Door/Wall etc functionality.

Obviously I am digging through samples/docs/tutorials/forum etc but thus far haven't stumbled on any real basic way to answer my own questions.

Regardless I am very impressed with the asset and am looking forward to when I can implement it with my main 3d project in the future.

16. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hey @MudPuppet Thank you. If you are using snap builder, you can disable rotation like this:
    01.png

If you're using a theme engine based builder (like grid, gridflow etc) you can use spatial constrains to do lots of customization. You can have a sprite for horizontal walls/doors, another sprite for vertical walls/doors, different one for corners (L-shape, T-shape, etc) and many other configurations based on the nearby tiles. More info here:

If you have any questions, feel free to join our discord channel and we can chat

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  17. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Much thanks for that information. This will give me something to look into today. In the least I might get a better idea of which builder to use. Yes I should probably get into Discord as it seems more and more software devs are pushing for that to cut down on multiple points of contact. I should also supply an image or two of what I am working with as I am sure you would be able to provide some good insight into what the best approach might be. Anyway, I will see how I go today.

AliAkbar likes this.
  18. adifrank

adifrank

I am unable to download the latest version, whenever I download it downloads version 1.11.

And how to make pillar appear on only corners? I tried corner selection via selection rule but wasn't able to do that.

I had also sent email regarding this but didn't got any revert back. Is there discord channel for this ?

19. Rowlan

Rowlan

Same for me. I had to delete the unitypackage in Asset Store-5.x\Code Respawn\Editor ExtensionsUtilities, after that I could download a new version.

20. adifrank

adifrank

I tried that but that also didnt worked. It again downloaded v1.11

21. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'll check the configuration and upload again if not working. Could you upgrade to 2020.1+ and try. It works there correctly

22. adifrank

adifrank

I downloaded via package manager after deleting from assetstore folder, it downloaded latest version.

For pillars on corner, I tried spatial constraints. But when ever i switch on spatial contraints all the pillars disappers, even without any rules.

23. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@adifrank That's by design. Please check this:

24. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi everyone, as part of my Messy's 12 Days to Christmas, I am interviewing amazing asset store devs and game developers live on twitch. Today I am joined by someone you know !!! :)

We hope to see you all today when I talk to @AliAkbar live on stream to talk about Dungeon Architect, life, love, learning and leprechauns! okay maybe not leprechauns

We will have FREE PRIZES! whoop!

https://twitch.tv/TheMessyCoder
    • 2 pm PST
    • 5 pm EST
    • 10 pm GMT
    • Midnight EEST

coderespawn.jpg

if you want to see who else will be live on stream, come visit the 12 days to Christmas website:
    http://unity.themessycoder.com

AliAkbar and Rowlan like this.
  25. Duffer123

Duffer123

@TheMessyCoder , been thinking it's about time I return to Dungeon Architect and see how it's come along. But being lazy, I'll watch your Twitch TV first! ;)

AliAkbar and TheMessyCoder like this.
  26. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Thats what I do too!

AliAkbar and Duffer123 like this.
  27. Rowlan

Rowlan

Looking forward to the stream. Please do explore the demos. It has a ton, even a Super Mario one which I didn't expect, but do think it's awesome in that way :D

AliAkbar, TheMessyCoder and Duffer123 like this.
  28. Duffer123

Duffer123

@TheMessyCoder , ask the developer where he intends to take this asset and if he has any other new assets under development... ;)

AliAkbar, TheMessyCoder and Rowlan like this.
  29. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

30. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Might have found bit of a bug in the Spatial Constraints editor. ie: Enable spatial constraints on a node and then you are able to copy/paste the main or starting node in the window (like you can copy/paste rule nodes) - but then you cannot delete the copies like you can with other rule nodes. Hope that makes sense.

31. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

A couple of suggestions after some more experience with DA - make of it what you will :)

1. It would be great if I could select a prefab/sprite node from within the Theme Editor window (or relevant inspector) and somehow be able to select all generated nodes of that type. A working example is definitely 2d sprites whereby you would use this to be able to set the Layers on sprites after dungeon generation - unlike prefabs which retain layer settings etc. Anyways this would be much faster than doing a manual search and selection process using the Hierarchy window after dungeon generation.

2. In a Dark Mode Unity3d GUI it is a little difficult to accurately make node connections in the Theme Editor without zooming in/out more times than necessary - this is much worse if you are using a laptop and limited screen space. Is there some way to maybe add a color connection point? See sample image for what I mean.

3. Is it possible to add in the standard Alt-RMB zoom functionality that is present in just about all Unity3d windows?

Attached Files:

32. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, after many many attempts to work out 2d sprite spatial constraints for walls and fences using a Grid builder setup I may need to get some help. I have been through the suggested videos and used the example files - it all makes sense. But as soon as I try to get something worked out for my wall/fence 'top' (sides/corners etc) it just becomes messy quite quickly.

Anyway, here is a pic to show that I am getting 'something' happening utilising your corner beautifier script. My walls are essentially the top crenelation(?) for top/bottom/sides/corners and lower walls (wall faces), props, etc emitted from there with use of spatial constraints. However, the underlying problem being that I need to sort the top crenelation part properly using spatial constraints or I can't get actual rooms.

I have also setup a demo scene with custom sprite sheet done in a similar fashion and most of the base stuff in a Theme if having that helps to explain things.

*** I did get Discord installed and the DA channel sorted too.

DA_2dDungeon.jpg

33. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

There are many dungeon assets in the Asset Store. You already support several. Do you have any plans to support other assets? As a promotion, I think other asset creators will support you for free.

34. ddesmond

ddesmond

Hi @AliAkbar,

How do you control spacing? I added to ground elements and two wall elements and the spacing is off. Everything is in using default settings.

upload_2021-1-10_17-56-20.png

35. Magic73

Magic73

Hi @AliAkbar ,
    do you think is it possible to use your asset to build "buildings"?
    Owning Medieval Exterior and Interior assets, is it possible to create a set of rule so that with just few input:
    - size
    - shape (linear, L, U, T...)
    - floors

and how to customize it:
    - kind of interior (farm, forge, bank, house, inn...)
    - kind of exterior (wood, rock, bamboo..)
    - kind of roof (wood, straw, rock, shingles..)

then your asset would produce a building?

--

Ok, I saw a doc about floor planner settings:
    Dungeon Architect User Guide (coderespawn.github.io)

but using this module it is possible to build only rectangular buildings, isn't it?
    are there any way to build houses?

Another question:
    Medieval Exterior prefabs walls should be mixed with the Interior walls.
    (each wall has only one side, so a full wall is a combination of two)
    is possible to use them? (notice, that in this case the wall should be placed in the correct direction, so must be rotated facing outside for the exterior..)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  36. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Heya, this should be the 'Grid Cell Size' where, for example, your floor geo might be 1 Unity3d grid unit in size and a wall might be 1 unit in height in which case you might have 1,1,1 for XYZ. Pretty sure this is explained in one of the first DA tutorials.

DA_GridCellSize.jpg

37. ddesmond

ddesmond

Thanks @MudPuppet, I played around with it. But will take a look at more videos

38. Magic73

Magic73

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  39. Venominus

Venominus

I get error after upgrade to newest version.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/DungeonArchitectCustom/DA_MarkerEmitterSpawnPoint.cs(159,33): error CS1061: Type `DungeonArchitect.DungeonBuilder' does not contain a definition for `PropSockets' and no extension method `PropSockets' of type `DungeonArchitect.DungeonBuilder' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  40. wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

For Snap Builder, is it possible to limit the tiles? So If I only want once of each tile to spawn, is that possible?

41. Binary42

Binary42

Hi, when do you plan to bring that awesome UE4 Snap Grid Flow Builder with 3D Flow Graph to Unity? :)

42. Alphalpha

Alphalpha

A few questions about this asset:

Is it possible for grid flow maps to generate overlapping floors? Could the upper/lower levels query the cells above/beneath them to affect how they're generated?

Can the snap and grid flow systems be used in tandem, or at least transition from one to the other at certain points?

Can the floorplan generator be used to make multi-story structures connected by stairs/ladders?

Can you randomly place certain themed volumes, like a long, thin, tall area (running the gauntlet kind of idea)?

Could the variable height be used to incorporate underground/overhead passageways, resulting in a non-overlapping but somewhat vertical dungeon layout?

43. JBacal

JBacal

First, great tool! Thanks for putting so much work into this.

I am using the Dungeon Grid Flow prefab with the MyGridFlow_Edge asset. I would like to have ceiling tiles above all the rooms but NOT above the corridors. I tried adding the NonStairRoomTileRule to the ceiling tile's selection rule, but it turns off ALL the ceiling tiles instead of only the ones above the corridors. Is there a way to achieve what I need?

Thanks, Jay

44. cham-wrg

cham-wrg

Dungeon Flow Editor Freezes/Crashes on 2019.4.21f, if I open the Game DungeonFlow.asset in DemoBuilder_Snap and try to select an item from the Node list the UI will freeze and it seems like the entire Unity Editor UI, will freeze and become unresponsive.

45. pupupupupunta

pupupupupunta

Having the same issue here on Unity 2020.2.0f1 & 2019.4.22f1.
    Tried assigning the default AlternateSelectionRule.cs, changing the namespace to DungeonArchitect didn't work.
    rules.png

Any thoughts?

46. pupupupupunta

pupupupupunta

** Solved **
    Updating the asset from 1.15.0 -> 1.16.2 fiixed the issue.

@AliAkbar
    Thanks for this awesome asset and continuous support!

47. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

A friendly reminder, please join our discord channel for support instead of posting here. We have an active community (1.5k+ users) and you can come chat with us and we'll help you out

48. protopop

protopop

Im glad you have a Discord server to help us out. Just a note - sometimes I don't have Dungeon Architect installed so I don't have the discord link handy, and a search brings up nothing.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 11.44.25 AM.png

49. Daahrien

Daahrien

This is because you aren't in the server. Join once, and it will appear there :p

50. Duffer123

Duffer123

I bought Dungeon Architect a LONGGGG time ago on Unity. How do I get to the Discord link?