Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Updated the fog of war algorithm keep the player from seeing through walls

2. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

This is almost perfect. It's just missing the ability to connect rooms to a winding narrow halway instead of directly to each other and the ability to connect sections without doorways and you'll have created a spiritual successor to the neverwinter nights 1 toolkit. I'm aiming specifically to pay homage to that and similar games so, as we discussed before, hopefuly you can figure them out for the next version.

Although I can just stick to the original tile based system.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    jasperbrooks79 likes this.
  3. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Nevercallmebyname I'll have a look

4. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

In the demo, you look down and you'll see the player hold a map like in minecraft. The minimap is rendered on to a render texture asset. You can then place this in a material and apply it anywhere

da_mm_tablet.jpg

jasperbrooks79, Necka_ and hopeful like this.
  5. TextusGames

TextusGames

You already support pre-designed modules in snap flow builder. I hope you was talking about support of pre-designed modules in Grid Flow Builder.

6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Yeah, thinking of giving it a new name without confusing everyone :D

We'll call the existing one Snap builder and this one Snap Flow. Let me know if you guys have a better suggestion

jasperbrooks79 and TextusGames like this.
  7. TextusGames

TextusGames

I think that Cell Builder or Flow Cell builder will be the best name for new builder because it uses cells in top level design. Also name does not collide with other builders.

Other options - path, net, web, chain or dot, slot builder.

8. TextusGames

TextusGames

That is a great job!

Also in future you can improve mini map by adding a solid frienge between fog of war and showed area.
    It will make fog of war way more demonstrative.
    (It can be easily done by replacing fog color with alpha values ( > 0.05 and < 0.95) with solid color in fog shader.)

Example in path of exile.

jasperbrooks79 and AliAkbar like this.
  9. hoodoo

hoodoo

Hi @AliAkbar - just purchased and really looking forward to the Grid Flow Editor in the upcoming update!

jasperbrooks79 and Neviah like this.
  10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Neviah likes this.
  11. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

I wish my paypal hadn't been playing up during the black friday sale or I'd be using this right now.

12. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Its up again for sale for the cyber week mega sale event (50% off). I believe this sale ends on Dec 13th

jasperbrooks79 and hopeful like this.
  13. Necka_

Necka_

Hey @AliAkbar thanks for this awesome planned update

I didn't like the previous builder as it required pre-made rooms.

This one looks like using the procedural way of the original dungeon grid which is really good as we can finally define some objects/enemies spawning in a visual way with also a great minimap

I'm looking forward to play with that

jasperbrooks79 and AliAkbar like this.
  14. wtadlock

wtadlock

Hello @AliAkbar, I am another one that just purchased this asset. Going through the documentation however, I cannot find any information on adding a minimap. I opened one of the demo scenes and tried to duplicate what was there, however, all I am getting on my side is the player icon and nothing else. Do you have a step by step somewhere of how to get the minimap working?

Thanks

15. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@wtadlock Thank you. I'm working on rewriting the documentation and I'll add this as well

hopeful likes this.
  16. Sehlor

Sehlor

Is latest update up? If not, when we can expect :)

17. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'm working on a launch pad window that will have a theme browser, sample browser, dungeon type browser etc. You can open samples from there, Create new dungeon scenes from existing templates, clone themes , snap flow graphs, grid flow graphs etc from template browsers

I'm also working on making the builder and the editor future proof, so it is generic enough to be extend with other builders in the future. I'll need a little more time for that :)

hoodoo likes this.
  18. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

We can use this grid flow branching feature to create race tracks in the city

Each intersection between two roads is a node in the graph. The algorithm finds a main path (and optinally alternate paths). The race track is then created by closing off roads in the intersection that are not part of the race track

neoshaman and Neviah like this.
  19. TextusGames

TextusGames

Is custom preconfigured rooms for Grid Flow builder still on track for next update?

20. pocketpair

pocketpair

Hi, I'm waiting for new release with bug fixes for grid flow examples!

21. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Finalized the mario builder and created some art assets in blender

PeppersGamer and Neviah like this.
  22. Necka_

Necka_

And that's why I now understand why Mario should not have an AK-47! It would be a genocide in there :D

Looks real good, I can't wait for the next update, especially with the new flow editor and minimap

23. MegaMileyStudios

MegaMileyStudios

Does Dungeon Architect have an ability to generate single houses as well? I've got some assets from Synty Studios and want to use them together with Dungeon Architect, since there's already a city builder and room builder, would there also be a way to generate full on houses?

hopeful likes this.
  24. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@MegaMileyDev It doesn't have proper support for it and it shouldn't be too hard to add it. I'll explore this in the future builds

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    hopeful and MegaMileyStudios like this.
  25. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Past week I've been busy working on a launcher for DA

This gives you a central place to view and clone samples (over 60 samples), create new scenes from one of the many builder templates, a theme template browser, grid flow and snap flow graph template browser and much more.

You won't need to set things up manually like before

launch_pad_builders.jpg launch_pad_samples.jpg launch_pad_details.jpg

ArturoPP, Occuros, Sehee26 and 7 others like this.
  26. MegaMileyStudios

MegaMileyStudios

Awesome! That will be very helpful for new users :D, is the ETA still somewhere this week? (saw a comment on Youtube last week where you mentioned the new update would launch in about a week which is around now ^^ )

27. Unany

Unany

Hi,
    Love the asset but I have a few quick questions:

1. Is it possible to have multiple fill textures and blend them

2. Is it possible to have features such as lava flows / rivers procedurally generated to run through the map?

*Image below to show what I mean by both both questions

Attached Files:

28. MegaMileyStudios

MegaMileyStudios

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  29. MegaMileyStudios

MegaMileyStudios

Also, whenever I accidentally click Build Dungeon without having a theme selected this outline pops up and starts flashing violently and never seems to go away, I have to re-load my entire scene for it to disappear. Please either fix or remove this

Attached Files:

30. eddieray7

eddieray7

Recently purchased DA... I'm seeing several warnings in the console after the code is compiled:

Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\SimpleCity\Landscape\LandscapeTransformerCity.cs(111,13): warning CS0618: 'TerrainData.splatPrototypes' is obsolete: 'Please use the terrainLayers API instead.'

Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Grid\Landscape\LandscapeTransformerGrid.cs(70,4): warning CS0618: 'TerrainData.splatPrototypes' is obsolete: 'Please use the terrainLayers API instead.'

I'm running Unity 2018.4.12f1.

31. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

1. I'll be rewriting the landscape transformer to upgrade to the latest version and I'll see if I can implement it

2. Perhaps in the future version

32. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

33. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@MegaMileyDev I've gotten rid of it. It won't flash in the next update

34. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@eddieray7 I'll have this fixed in the next update

35. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Apologies for the delay on the next update. I've been busy working on re-writing the documentation. I'll submit to the asset store in a few days and keep you all posted

New documentation website: docs.dungeonarchitect.com

36. Razmot

Razmot

The new doc is awesome, I ve read the grid flow builder tuto.

Do you have a validation system that checks marker names are present in themes ?
    User entered strings in the grid flow have to match with marker names in themes and it's easy to make a mistake.

Ideally there would be a pickable and addable list of "MarkerName", if you feel like doing editor code ;)

And another little thing: you should ask the moderators to move this thread into the asset store forum ! I keep forgetting about DA, if it were in the asset store forum instead of WIP I wouldn't.

37. TextusGames

TextusGames

Thanks for you work. @AliAkbar
    I have Read documentation about grid flow builder and there is no mention about pre -build modules(rooms). So there is no built-in way to inject custom room in flow? Without it this builder is very limited and not feature complete(for me at least), so many interesting things you can not do without it... What do you think about luck of custom rooms? Then do you plan to add this feature or you don't? I personally prefer to wait some time more just for getting it in this release..

38. Sehlor

Sehlor

Well, any news? :/

39. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Hi @AliAkbar
    I'm playing around with the FloorPlanner but noticed it only supports a minimal set of features. Basic markers like WallSeparator are missing and it doesn't seem to support spatial Constraints. Do you have any plans to add these or any other additional features to this builder? I just want to know if I should bother with it if there are no improvements coming.

40. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

The new version is live in the asset store

Version 1.10.0
    • A powerful new dungeon builder named GridFlow with a rich set to toolsets to design your dungeons (refer docs below)
    • Complete tutorial rewrite: https://docs.dungeonarchitect.com/unity
    • Launch Pad window allows you to browse and access all the samples, a theme template library, scene template library and a lot more
    • New Marios Builder
    • New Infinity Caves builder
    • Snap Flow Editor graph panels can be resized
    • Rewrote and improved the UI library that power the various editor windows
    • Landscape transformers are non destructive. Destroying a dungeon restores the original heightmap / paint and foliage data
    • Landscape transformers no long wipe out the entire terrain data and only modify the relavant terrain data
    • Improved the landscape transformer blending algorithm
    • Fixed the city build's CityWall offset issue
    • Added a new Snap Side Scroller builder. This uses the dungeon flow graph for assembling side scrolling levels

Please check the new Launch Pad feature (Dungeon Architect > Launch Pad)

41. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've submitted different versions of DA for various Unity versions for better compatibility
    • Unity 2017.4 (LTS)
    • Unity 2018.1
    • Unity 2018.2
    • Unity 2018.3
    • Unity 2018.4 (LTS)
    • Unity 2019.1
    • Unity 2019.2

Please use the Editor's Asset store page to download DA, it will download the appropriate version.

If you upgrade your game project to a different unity version, delete the existing DA folders and re-download them from the new engine's asset store tab to grab the best compatible version

42. TextusGames

TextusGames

"Version 1.10.0"

I thought it will be 2.0))

43. Boaike

Boaike

@AliAkbar I have been checking for the new version for the last two months regularly, I'm happy it's here! The flow works pretty well so far and helps loads with having a high level overview of the things in a scene.

Maybe I'm going something strange, but it seems like some of the walls that get placed at the wall-marker, will get rotated.
    This means that if you change the X or Z value of the gameobject node in the theme editor, those walls will do exactly the opposite of the rest of the walls, making it impossible to close rooms properly.

I have no idea what is causing this, has anyone else have this issue?
    The issue doesn't occur if I don't use the flow grid.

44. TextusGames

TextusGames

Why by default there is no WallHalf(fence) in new grid flow builder??
    upload_2019-12-31_14-11-47.png

Seams like futures from first grid builder like stairs, wall separaters are not translated into new builders. Any plans to make New Grid Flow builder to have markers from old grid builder?
    Seems like new grid builder should become new default one.

How to check if cell is in corridor or in room or outsided of them?

Also one there is one bug at least.
    If path does not have "EndOnPath" assigned, "MaxPathSize" setting has no effect. Path will always have "MinPathSize length."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  45. Neviah

Neviah

I'm unable to use Debug Draw in the new update, so I don't know if I'm placing my floors correctly

46. TextusGames

TextusGames

Can't build a game with dungeon architect 1.10. Becouse of using editor api in runtime..
    upload_2020-1-1_15-58-43.png

17windy likes this.
  47. Neviah

Neviah

So I managed a workaround for not having corridor/hallway walls. I duplicated a wall prefab 3 times, and made a 4-sided wall so the Rocks prefab he uses can be easily replaced. See attachments.

daHack2.png daHack1.png

48. TextusGames

TextusGames

I was talking about built in fence around corridore.

upload_2020-1-1_21-39-32.png

49. TextusGames

TextusGames

Some random buggy behaviour with grid flow dungeon.
    If you do not destroy dungeon in scene and launch game (then just build dungeon)
    some random invisible places will occur.
    upload_2020-1-1_21-52-30.png

if you delete dungeon and start game everething is normal.

Destroying dungeon first than wait for one frame fixes problem. If however you destroy and create dungeon in one frame problem still occurs.

Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator Start()
    2.         {
    3.             // Randomize and build the dungeon
    4.             if (dungeon != null)
    5.             {
    6.                 dungeon.DestroyDungeon();
    7.                 yield return null;
    9.                 var dungeonConfig = dungeon.GetComponent<GridFlowDungeonConfig>();
    10.                 var random = new System.Random();
    11.                 dungeonConfig.Seed = (uint)random.Next();
    12.                 dungeon.Build();
    13.             }
    14.         }

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  50. angularfoxdev

angularfoxdev

Hi @AliAkbar loving the new Grid Flow update! Would it be possible in the future to utilize the Snap Builder functionality for pre-created rooms with Grid Flow?

OdderOtter and TextusGames like this.