Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Arkade

Arkade

Btw does anyone else [want to] use DA as a package? If so, here's a zip of what I use with the asmdefs (Assembly Definition Files) and a package.json (which Ali might wish to fix the values in :) ).
    HTH

Attached Files:

2. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I use a DA feature called spawn listeners to add a key/lock info component into the spawned game objects. You can use a similar script to insert your own custom data components in the spawned key/lock game objects

You can play with the system and we can work it out if there are any issues

Yep, that includes everything, the grid flow editor, the snap flow editor and the theme editor :)

However this is sometime in the future as I'll have to implement a few more widgets to the runtime editors (e.g. a asset viewer widget for dropping in assets into the theme editor, inspector widget for editing the properties, a serialization system to save the data at runtime etc). Long ago, I created an open source web based docking library where you can drag panels and dock them on the screen, like how the editor does it. I'll port that over too

Arkade likes this.
  3. pocketpair

pocketpair

@AliAkbar
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    Unfortunately, snap builder example is currently not working I think.
    Can you check it?

In my environment (2018.4.13f + Pro Builder + TextMeshpro), open example scene and pushing "Build Dungeon" button but nothing happen and no logs.
    I tried another unity version but same.

I read your documentation (https://coderespawn.github.io/dungeon-architect-snap-map-user-guide-unity/index.html)
    and tutorial (
    ) and tried few things, but still no result.

If you have other example, please also let me know.
    upload_2019-11-27_3-2-21.png

4. TextusGames

TextusGames

Hello.
    1. Is there a way to use customly made room prefabs of custom shape and randomly select them in new grid builder?
    2. Why all rooms are rectangular, could they have different shapes?
    3. Let say I have a poison immune potition as key. How do I made room with poison as door. I mean not door of one square but door or room with custom shape and logic?
    There could be many different key - door entities that require custom volumes and logic.
    4. Can door have custom volume greater then one square?
    5. If I bought dungeon architect in Unreal Engine marketpkace, do I need to buy it here to in order to use it with unity?

5. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

Thank you. I figured it might be possible but I had to check cause if it wasnt possible and I attempted it I could break Dungeon Architect.

Thanks. I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping to produce dungeons like this using Dungeon Architect and being able to designate a hallway and link those sections together seems an escential part of that.

StevenPicard likes this.
  6. Johnny-Ge

Johnny-Ge

Hi there, I tried the snap flow graph and failed neither, do u have any progress?

7. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Placement of items on to the tilemap can now be controled through external scripts
    p0.png p4.png

We have random placement, where a free tile is picked radomly and the item (like E) is placed
    p1.png

You can place them near edges
    p5.png

Or you can write a script to have your own placement logic
    p2.png

It takes a flag to fallback to random tile placement if the specified method fails. There's also a flag to avoid placing items right next to doors (works with random and edge placement methods)

Sehlor and TextusGames like this.
  8. TextusGames

TextusGames

Is this compatable with theme's Spatial Constraints placements ?

9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Yep. I've used it in the theme above. For e.g. I use spatial constraints to make the chest align with the walls (when I place them treasure chest along the edges of the map)

StevenPicard and TextusGames like this.
  10. Sehlor

Sehlor

When we can expect an Update?

11. TextusGames

TextusGames

About Version 1.9.0

I decided to buy this asset.
    Now I am looking through all examples.

My first impression.

Cons:
    1. Examples are half working... And can produce unwalkable levels (Game2d, Game3d).
    2. The main thing I needed - the Snap builder example is not working at all! (FLow editor is working).
    3. "2D is fully supported"? I don't know but it seems like you can not made truly top down game (XZ) right out the box.
    Then I add sprite in the theme generator places it on XY axes instead even if 2d toggle is disabled in builder component.
    Is there a way for sprites to be placed in XZ axes instead?
    4. Grid builders can produce very different sizes with same configuration. I mean map can be 1 - 3x in size. And in general produce unpleasant, unbeautiful results.
    5. There is no Isaac builder example.
    6. There are at least 6 obsolete API usages.
    This gave me a slightly bad first impression.

Pros:
    1. I liked SpatialPartition builder.
    2. I like theming ability.
    3. Snap Flow Builder and Grid Flow Builder can be very good(need to test them in future).
    4. The package has huge potential.

I am looking forward to Snap Builder example and Grid Flow Builder.
    And if that happens they are unstable that will be a double waste of money for me (because I bought it in Unity and in Unreal). But at least I supported the developer of potentially great asset.

I sincerely hope and wish what the next update will be great and solid and developer make more regular stability updates!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    AliAkbar likes this.
  12. pocketpair

pocketpair

@AliAkbar

Hi, thank you for your hard working.
    I know you are currently working for new update and I wouldn't like to disturb it, however there are at least 3 guys who can't play snap builder example recently. Can you check it and let us know how we should or fix it?
    I'm also looking forward to your next major update!

Me and @Johnny-Ge
    and @TextusGames

TextusGames likes this.
  13. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I removed the probuilder and text mesh pro dependencies a while ago from the example. The level was saved in 2019.1 so the scene files won't be backward comaptible in the editor.

In the next update I'll create different samples for each engine version so they open correctly. For now you can grab the attached sample (works on 2019.1 and above)

Delete your old DemoBuilder_Snap folder first and copy this one over from the zip file

Attached Files:

TextusGames likes this.
  14. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@TextusGames Thank you. I'll fix these issues in the upcoming update

TextusGames likes this.
  15. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hopefully a week from now

16. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

oh also, this new generator method can still use the "elevator" rooms and span multiple floors like the old one right? or is it limited to flat levels?

17. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

It should be easy to add that. perhaps in the next build

While creating the main path, I'll add a config to manually specify the start and goal node (like start node = (1, 4) and goal node = (3, 5). This will create a path of say length 10 with start / goal at that locations and everthing around it

In the next level, you can specify the start node coord to be equal to the last level's goal node (3, 5). The lifts stairs will properly align

I've also been thinking of making the abstract layout algorithm in full 3D, so instead of having a N,M layout grid, we have a acual NxNxN grid and the path generate is built on this 3D grid. This way we get some really interesting 3D levels
    I'll explore this in the future

StevenPicard likes this.
  18. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

Awesome. Cant wait to see what else is in the next build. Assuming you already had plans. More importantly, I cant wait to get started with this build's features.

StevenPicard likes this.
  19. TextusGames

TextusGames

Grid flow alternative path normalized position slider.

I thought it may be great to have a sliders right there you specify start and end path name connections of alternative paths, which can regulate preferable range of alternative normalized path start or end position on previous path. (PreferableNormolizedConectPositionMinMaxSlider [0 (0.7 - 0.9) 1])
    For example I have path A that has 10 rooms in length. I want to connect path B to one room in range 7 - 9 on path A. I will drag slider min handle to 0.7 and max handle to 0.9 . and write A in start path name. And generator will try to connect path B to any room in range 7 (0.7 × 10) to 9 (0.9*10) room of path A, and if it fails it will just fallback to any nearest room.

In that way you can control normalized position of next path relatively to previous path.

What do you think about that?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  20. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Yeah that's a good idea. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement that. I'll try to push this in the next update or the one after that

TextusGames likes this.
  21. TextusGames

TextusGames

Thank you for considering this.)

22. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'm also adding 2D minimap support with fog of war. For now, the visuals of the minimap will be similar to what you see in the editor window's tilemap panel. Later I'll make something like this:

Dungeon-Map-Image-768x724.jpg
    (^ some random image from the net, not created by DA)

TextusGames likes this.
  23. pocketpair

pocketpair

@AliAkbar
    Hi, thank you for your quick support.
    DemoScene with GameDungeonFlow works fine. Thanks!
    Unfortunately DemoScene_ProceduralGraph with GameDungeonFlow_ProceduralGraphs didn't work well.
    Please kindly check below error.
    Assets/DungeonArchitect_Samples/DemoBuilder_Snap/Scripts/SnapDemo_ProceduralLevelLayout.cs(8,26): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IGrammarGraphBuilder' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

24. TextusGames

TextusGames

In 2019.3 both new examples are not working for me.
    And modules prefabs have missing scripts.

Edited.
    Turns out you need to install Probuilder and first example will work.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  25. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

ooh I was hoping there'd be minimaps at some stage

26. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

The sample demo has a working inventory system to hold the picked up keys (UI on bottom left). It also demos a way to check these key ids against a locked door. This method should be easy to integrate with your existing key-lock systems

27. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Hi @AliAkbar, The new system looks great. I've only just started to play around with the flow editor and was looking for a way to add trees/foliage around the rooms so I cant wait for this update.

I just have a couple questions:
    1) In the new layout system how are the connections between rooms created? Does it use corridor prefabs or are they generated procedurally from individual tiles? I'm setting up corridors in the existing builder but they don''t seem to be used in the example.

2) Is there a way to adjust walls where two rooms are placed adjacent to each other? I would like to remove wall sections of one room where they overlap to avoid duplicate meshes being rendered.

28. Eggpunk

Eggpunk

Howdy folks.

I emailed Ali about this issue I have come across but I wanted to post here and see if anyone else may have run into the same issue or just generally know of a fix.

When I have Dungeon Architect and Responsive Spatial Audio for Immersive Gaming in a project together DA will generator undefined term errors for anything using MathUtils. I have not changed the code in any of the scripts for either asset. using DungeonArchitect.Utils; is listed in all the scripts from DA but shows as unnecessary/not in use.

Has anyone here had a similar issue before?

29. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Sir_patrickl
    1. They are generated procedural with individual tiles. So, unlike the snap builder, it doesn't piece together pre-built rooms made by the designer. The up side is, it gets full control on the dungeon cycles and key-lock systems, making for some interesting levels

2. The walls are considered as tiles in this builder, unlike the grid builder where it is an edge. I'll add an option in the future to treat the walls as either an edge or a square tile

Eggpunk likes this.
  30. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Could you post the full error message, (a stack trace would be helpful)

Eggpunk likes this.
  31. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Added Minimap support. It has the following features

1. Optimized caching of static background (like the level layout that doesn't change)
    2. Overlays with dynamic position / rotation tracking. Adding a gameobject to your minimap is as simple as adding a component to it and specifying the icon / color
    3. Fog of War (work in progress)

TextusGames and Eggpunk like this.
  32. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Sounds good.

Are the rooms also tile based? Will it replace the current snap builder or will it be an alternative?

I'm still figuring out the current one and having some issues getting the layout generate without overlaps or in some cases multiple corridors coming out of the same room exit (not sure if this is a bug?). I'm happy to wait for the new version though since it looks a little more flexible and comes with quite a few nice additions.

33. Eggpunk

Eggpunk

Hi @AliAkbar

Below is the full list of errors in the project. These show when the other project is asset regardless of which was included first. I looked over these files and tried to make some adjustments to fix the errors but nothing took so I reverted everything back to it's original state.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Game2D_JackRabbit\Scripts\SpecialRoomFinder2D.cs(40,31): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GridToWorld'
    2. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Game2D_JackRabbit\Scripts\SpecialRoomFinder2D.cs(50,31): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GridToWorld'
    3. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Game3D_SurvivalShooter\Scripts\Waypoints\WaypointGenerator.cs(77,39): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GridToWorld'
    4. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Game3D_SurvivalShooter\Scripts\AI\SpecialRoomFinder.cs(66,31): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GridToWorld'
    5. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Game3D_SurvivalShooter\Scripts\AI\SpecialRoomFinder.cs(92,40): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GridToWorld'
    6. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Splatmaps\Data\SplatData.cs(45,44): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToByte'
    7. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\RoomDesigner\DungeonRoomDesigner.cs(81,43): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToIntVector'
    8. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Support\Scripts\Rules\ClampToGroundTransformRule.cs(20,30): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'WorldToGrid'
    9. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Support\Scripts\Rules\NonDoorTileSelectionRule.cs(17,34): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Divide'
    10. Assets\DungeonArchitect_Samples\Support\Scripts\Rules\NonDoorTileSelectionRule.cs(18,33): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToIntVector'
    11. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Navigation_SN\TriangleProviders\LayoutFloorTriangleProvider.cs(42,30): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GridToWorld'
    12. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Navigation_SN\TriangleProviders\LayoutFloorTriangleProvider.cs(43,26): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GridToWorld'
    13. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Navigation_SN\TriangleProviders\Collision2DTriangleProvider.cs(45,42): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'FlipYZ'
    14. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Infinity\InfinityDungeon.cs(93,35): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'V3FloorToInt'
    15. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Infinity\InfinityDungeon.cs(93,58): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Divide'
    16. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Infinity\InfinityDungeon.cs(94,35): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'V3FloorToInt'
    17. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Frameworks\Infinity\InfinityDungeon.cs(94,58): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Divide'
    18. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Dungeon\Volumes\Volume.cs(30,23): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Abs'
    19. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Dungeon\Volumes\Volume.cs(34,15): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'FlipYZ'
    20. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Dungeon\Volumes\Volume.cs(57,23): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Abs'
    21. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Dungeon\Volumes\Volume.cs(67,42): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'FlipYZ'
    22. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Dungeon\Volumes\Volume.cs(68,39): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'FlipYZ'
    23. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Dungeon\DungeonBuilder.cs(154,43): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToIntVector'
    24. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Core\Dungeon\DungeonBuilder.cs(155,39): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToIntVector'
    25. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\FloorPlanner\FloorPlanBuilder.cs(78,49): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToIntVector'
    26. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\InfinityCaves\InfinityCaveChunkConfig.cs(16,30): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Divide'
    27. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\InfinityCaves\InfinityCaveChunkBuilder.cs(46,44): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToIntVector'
    28. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\InfinityCaves\InfinityCaveChunkBuilder.cs(46,66): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Divide'
    29. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\FloorPlanner\FloorPlanBuilder.cs(658,42): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToVector3'
    30. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\FloorPlanner\FloorPlanBuilder.cs(660,45): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'ToVector3'
    31. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Snap\SnapBuilder.cs(384,47): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GetShuffledIndices'
    32. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Snap\SnapBuilder.cs(414,51): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'TransformBounds'
    33. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Snap\SnapBuilder.cs(514,23): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Shuffle'
    34. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Snap\SnapBuilder.cs(547,58): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'GetShuffledIndices'
    35. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Grid\GridDungeonBuilder.cs(419,45): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Divide'
    36. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Grid\GridDungeonBuilder.cs(420,44): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'RoundToIntVector'
    37. Assets\DungeonArchitect\Scripts\Builders\Grid\GridDungeonBuilder.cs(2483,47): error CS0117: 'MathUtils' does not contain a definition for 'Divide'

34. TextusGames

TextusGames

There is no plans to support pre-designed modular prefabs in greed flow builder?

35. TextusGames

TextusGames

@AliAkbar
    Will snap flow builder support cyclic layouts?
    Or is it difficult to implement?

Because I want to generate cyclic dungeons but prefer to work with pre-designed modules.
    But it seems like snap does not support cycling and new grid flow builder does not support pre-designed modules.

36. TextusGames

TextusGames

I think you have several classes that has same name - "MathUtils" in your project. Possibly dungeon architect has that class and responsive audio has that class with same name.

Type MathUtils in unity project and may be they will show up.

But basically try to find duplicated class with name of MathUtils but it can be in Dll though.

37. TextusGames

TextusGames

Let say I have a poison immune potition as key. How do I made room with poison as door. I mean not door of one square but door or room with custom shape and logic?
    There could be many different key - door entities that require custom volumes and logic.

@AliAkbar is It possible in new grid flow builder?

38. TextusGames

TextusGames

I checked out snap flow builder for top down it is working good.

For 2d debug draw is still drawing in top down XZ axes. That shoul also be fixed.

upload_2019-12-2_23-21-40.png upload_2019-12-2_23-21-40.png

39. Eggpunk

Eggpunk

You are correct! There are 2 MathUtil classes in my project currently. I'll see what I can do about that.

Thanks for the direction!

40. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

The class MathUtils is under the DungeonArchitect namespace so there should be no collision but somehow its still hapenning

41. Eggpunk

Eggpunk

I dug in and found 2 ways MathUtils was called.
    A) DungeonArchitect.Utils.MathUtils.GridToWorld
    B) MathUtils.GridToWorld

The errors came from case B.

42. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I see only one MathUtils in an empty project with DA in it

Could you tell me which file this other MathUtils (B) is defined?

mathutils.png

43. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've added support for 2D snap builder a while ago and it should be available in the next update. They should work with side scroller platformer levels

As for normal multi-floor levels, it should work out of the box

44. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I gave some though to it and it should be possible (by enforcing some constraints). I'll support this in the future build (SnapFlow builder)

TextusGames likes this.
  45. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

The snap builder stays and is not being replaced. I've also improved the UI of the dungeon flow editor used by Snap builder. You can resize your graph panel windows in the editor

46. Eggpunk

Eggpunk

These were not the only places, but as examples:

This code snippet is some of the files I found the references in with line numbers.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ClampToGroundTransformRule 20 (var gridCoord = MathUtils.WorldToGrid(positionWorld, config.GridCellSize);)
    2. DungeonRoomDesigner 81
    3. SpecialRoomFinder 66, 92 (var roomCenter = MathUtils.GridToWorld(model.Config.GridCellSize, cell.CenterF);)
    4. SpecialRoomFinder2D.cs 40, 50
    5. SplatData 45
    6. WaypointGenerator 77
    I noticed in your image that your search didn't bring up ClampToGroundTransformRule, but

47. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

These are the usages of this class, which is fine. The problem is from the definition (or duplicate definition of this class defined somewhere else)

Try reimporting your DA folders

48. Eggpunk

Eggpunk

I tried re-importing in my original project and had the same results. (DA was imported after the other asset)
    I opened a new project and tried importing the 2 assets flip order (DA imported first), but the errors were still there.

I did find that the 1.7 Ultimate FPS asset had a MathUtils class, but named it vp_MathUtils.
    Based on that file not seemingly causes issues I renamed the Dungeon Architect file to MathUtilsDA, then renamed all references to match that change.

That leads the project to work and build now, but I imagine an update to Dungeon Architect will overwrite those changes.

49. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

The best parts of both

TextusGames likes this.
  50. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Added fog of war to the minimap. I have a few more pending stuff that I'd like to push in the next release: a 2D game demo with this builder, a launcher window to launching the various samples/documentations