Search Unity

[RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Check the indoor sample theme (DungeonArchitect_Samples\Demo_Theme_Candy\Scenes\DemoScene_Indoor)

You need a mesh to add on the roof over the stair to cleanly cover the ceiling and avoid holes where the height changes. Check the StairCeiling prefab on how to create this mesh

2. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Drop in the script RoomMidEmitter on your dungeon game object. Then create a marker and rename it to RoomCenter
    Anything you add under it will show up on the center of the room

3. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Not at the moment. I'll add a flag in the future builds

4. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thanks! The next update will allow you to have color coded key/locks, multi-locks, shops, boss rooms, secret rooms, mini-boss guarded treasure rooms etc. This new system is used in the snap builder

5. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Breathing Sidewalks are not support. It should be easy to add it though. I'll have it in the future builds soon

6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Jeason1997 Yes it does. There's also support for thick walls (i.e. walls talking up one tile) which is necessary for proper 2D level generation. For platform games, you can use the snap builder. I'll have a demo in the next update

7. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've fixed the issue and it would handle it gracefully and reload the textures (the editor resources were destroyed for some reason.) In the mean time if it happens again, try restarting the editor.

8. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@growling_egg Markers are created by code (where most of the heavy lifting is done). After that comes your theme file and it picks up any mesh mapping you define underneath it. So the base markers are defined by code (walls, ground, fence etc) in the right places. From these base markers, you can emit your own markers relative to a previous marker, thereby creating a simple or complex hierarchy

DA will add a Fence marker all around the dungeon and the theme file is the mapping between theme markers and your prefabs

As for the larger archways, they are done using spatial constraints. Have a look at this video where we use a 2x wide door, if there is space available to fit it, otherwise it falls back to the 1x door

9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'll test this further and get back to you. What interface would you folks like to see for layered mesh merging? I'd like to avoid adding the mesh merging functionality to the core of the library (theme engine, dungeon generation etc) and have it separate like the way it is currently to avoid coupling

10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

This should be available in the next update in a few days

StevenPicard and maxaud like this.
  11. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

You'll need a noise function to generate a landscape like this with different biomes for mountains, trees, grass which is out of the scope of DA. I've done this in the past and if you need help getting started with a system like this, let me know

DA can build the cities and dungeons on each of those biomes. Spawn your dungeon actors on the appropriate locations on the world, set the theme file based on the biome it is on and build

12. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@ArkadiuszR I see your point, and that is actually a good workaround :D

I'll explore a better way

13. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@ArkadiuszR would it be possible to send me the configuration for this? Also try reducing the height variation probability

14. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Harekelas You'll need to redownload DA from the asset store if you are upgrading. I upload a different DA version for each unity engine version for better compatibility

15. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

That would be a good optimization, especially for ground tiles. I've added it to my todo list

arturmandas likes this.
  16. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Sorry for the delay. I've fixed the DungeonFloorPlanner bug, but I can't reproduce it with the above settings. Would it be possible to send the screens of the config the next time it happens

17. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@rlhalh Corner Beautifier Marker Emitter is no longer needed as we have a much more powerful spatial constraint system. You can do everything that script did in a more visual way using the editor and also add / remove existing markers in the scene based on your rules

18. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

It would be better if the paint data resides in an asset file (ScriptableObject) so you can load them in at runtime. Right now it is saved in the dungeon game object which doesn't make it reuseable

19. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@DragonFist22 They seem to work just fine. Could you confirm if the samples are working? (DungeonArchitect_Samples\Demo_SpatialConstraints\..)

20. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@growling_egg There's a spatial constraint sample for this:
    DungeonArchitect_Samples\Demo_SpatialConstraints\11_SCExample_RemovalRules_Door_Scene

Attached Files:

21. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

The SpecialRoomFinder script attached to the dungeon game object teleports the player to the spawn room but it somehow gets snapped back to (0,0,0). Checking...

22. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Tsilliev 1 - It can easily populate around the walls and you can have something like this:

There's another type of dungeon builder called the snap builder which allows the designer to design individual rooms by hand and stitch them together.

2 - You can have different architecture using theme files. Swapping a theme file can give you dungeon a completely different look on the same dungeon. You can control the number of rooms and the order they appear in in the next update (dungeon flow)

3 - You can generate different dungeons at runtime. Here are some of the dungeons created using different theme files

23. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Sure, I'll create a build tomorrow and send it over. If anyone else wants it, please PM me

Edit: It works with the snap builder

24. Harekelas

Harekelas

Weird that I downloaded the latest version from a unity 2018 editor.

25. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'll send you a build tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  26. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

A quick overview of the new Dungeon Flow editor

27. maxaud

maxaud

Thanks for taking the time to do some responses. I always get fearful when devs take a while without visiting the forums. Thanks for your continued work on this.

Muhamad_Faizol, hopeful and AliAkbar like this.
  28. KungFuBrad

KungFuBrad

Hey Ali, I sent you a PM to try and get an advance build as well. Thanks!

29. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Submitted a new version for review

Version 1.9.0
    • New: Dungeon Flow Editor - A powerful new feature that gives you complete control on designing the layout of your dungeons.
      This system allows you to build color coded key-lock systems, multi-key systems, shops, secret rooms, level exits guarded by boss rooms and much room
      It uses Graph Grammar so you can design complex layouts with simple rules
    • New: The Snap Builder uses the new Dungeon Flow Layout system to build the dungeon
    • New: Removed Corridor Padding config parameter and replaced it with Corridor Width in the grid dungeon configuration
    • New: Improved the quality of the corridor connection algorithm
    • New: Added grid dungeon builder query model (query doors, cell positions, random cells etc)
    • New: Dungeon layout builders can add custom metadata to spawned objects. This allows querying doors owned by a room
    • Fix: Fixed a null pointer error in the grid builder
    • Fix: Fixed mesh merge null pointer issues
    • Fix: Fixed an issue where unity editor resources (like textures in the theme editor) were not reloaded if they were lost
    • Experimental: Added a new wall generation strategy for thick walls where a wall takes up an entire tile, instead of an edge. This also help with 2D levels and generates a clean layout

30. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

The samples folder contains the updated snap sample that uses the new flow graph system

Since the samples were created on 2018.3, you'll need that to test it out (however the snap builder and dungeon flow editor works from 5.6 and above)

Some screens from the sample:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

31. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

All this looks great, looking forward to test it

32. hopeful

hopeful

Are there size constraints on the new "flow" dungeons? A situation I have, which I think is fairly common, is that I need my random dungeons to fit within a specific space, like a 400m cube.

33. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

It should be easy to implement it with negation volumes. i'll add it in the next build

hopeful likes this.
  34. SSL7

SSL7

Is there plans to make the flow work with volume platforms? or is it only for snap builder?

35. Necka_

Necka_

@AliAkbar it seems I have issues with the Snap dungeon demo scene to test the new flow mode

I have TMP/Pro-Builder (4.0.3) in the project (Unity 2018.3.6) but the prefabs used for this scene are all missing scripts (which I assume are probably pro-builder meshes)

upload_2019-2-25_22-18-39.png

Before importing the update I actually deleted the asset store cache, deleted Dungeon Architect from my project, downloaded Dungeon architect cleanly from the store and imported it

36. SSL7

SSL7

Go to Tools->ProBuilder->Repair-> check for broken probuilder references, it will scan your assets and then tell you something about migrating your project to probuild 4 version, press yes and wait till it finishes. It won't hurt your project but better do a backup just to be sure. after that it should work

37. KungFuBrad

KungFuBrad

Greetings Ali,

Have the new 2D/2.5D tools been built into this technology as well?

Thanks!

38. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Over time, I'll extend this to other builders

39. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Apologies for the Builder Issue. I'll create another sample without it

40. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Sure, you can build levels like in Dead Cells. You'll create lots of module prefabs for your 2D levels and have the graph system generate the layout and the snap builder stitch it together. I'll have the 2D demo soon

hugopok likes this.
  41. Negrat

Negrat

Please make a video with the 2.5 demo, that would help me to choose if I will buy the Dungeon Architect or not.

hugopok likes this.
  42. chaenator

chaenator

Hi @AliAkbar ,

How would DA runtime work relative to networked/multiplayer games? Will the rest of the player just be placed in host player's runtime build?

43. KungFuBrad

KungFuBrad

Awesome Ali, thank you.

Any update on the demo?

Thanks again!

44. Kiracam1

Kiracam1

Hopefully, this reaches! I recently purchased Dungeon Architect in hopes of using it for my current project. However, I can't seem to get the grid to properly interact with my models. Walls seem way off the grid, overlap strangely, incidentally cut off corridors and other issues. I've only gotten passable results once, and it was from some dummy assets I downloaded to test with. Any options for fixing that? Adjusting the grid cell size doesn't seem to alter results much.

45. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

Can't wait to see the Dead Cell demo example. It will be awesome.

46. hopeful

hopeful

Just so you know, the forum is supposed to ping the thread owner with every new message, but it doesn't always happen. You increase the likelihood of getting through if you tag the thread owner in your message directly, like @AliAkbar.

That said, this particular developer tends to be gone for long periods and then returns and does a mass reply to the thread. So you should probably use the support email if you need immediate support.

47. hopeful

hopeful

I'd like to add that Mesh Combine Studio is being supported again. While it isn't an option for occlusion, it would still be helpful in managing DA runtime generated scenes.

Also, there is a new GPU based occluder in the UAS as of March 9. I don't have it, but the reviews are good. It's GODC. The catch it that it isn't HDRP capable, and it won't be supported for Mac, Linux, or mobile, and is Windows DX 11 only.

48. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

Edit: Actually reading back I was told it is unknown if this is possible. Now I want to know even more.

So far I've seen Dungeon Architect do this:
    upload_2019-3-23_18-2-36.png
    The red boxes are Dungeon Architect tiles and the black line is the generated floor/stairs.

What I want to do is this:
    upload_2019-3-23_18-6-50.png
    the same staggered Dungeon Architect generation with occasional stairs that go up or down three levels (ie one whole floor). I've already talked about this here and have been told it's simple to do. I even think I know how to do it. I just haven't seen any evidence of it being done.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  49. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Hi @AliAkbar,

I'm just after a little help. I'm using the grid builder with a 3 tile wide corridor and I want the middle tiles to be different than the rest to create a one tile path with a different look connecting each room. I'm just not sure the best way to go about it.

I have tried using spatial constraints and got part of the way there but there seems to be too many edge cases to make this feasible. Especially where multiple rooms are close to each other of corridor gets tight and connects to multiple doors/loops etc

I also tried creating an Emitter that generates Corridor and CorridorPadding nodes however that didn't work as expected. The nodes didn't seem to be where I expected them to be. For example in some areas where the corridor was only 1 tile wide it was emitting "CorridorPadding" nodes. I'm not sure if this might be due to the recent changes to how corridors are changed i.e. using witdh instead of corridor padding in config.

Is there a way to achieve what I am after? Is there any way of getting the tiles needed to connect rooms before they padding nodes are added? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  50. CliffCawley

CliffCawley

How do I use the new flow editor system? I've created my flow and added a snap builder but I can't seem to get it to generate anything. The snap builder sample directory is empty too with just a readme but no demo.

Has anyone had any success?