Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. canis

canis

It's a great asset, have bugs, but still great.

Compile bug:
    DungeonRoomDesignerHook.cs
    - contain UnityEditor namespace, which blocking release.

Theme tools, Rotation bug
    - do not to use theme tools to rotate map prefabs units. e.g. Rotate X axis in 90degree.
    which will cause the map constraint logic cannot correctly locate the relative things { wall, ground } by it's tile base system. suggest just remove that option. developer "should" able fix it by giving correct prefab, or only limited the rotation for Y Axis only?! whatever.

AliAkbar likes this.
  2. cksiavash

cksiavash

Is it possible to use infinite dungeon with another theme (like simple city)?

3. archmagus

archmagus

Hello everyone. I've started to use Dungeon Architect a short time ago, and there's something that puzzles me. I don't know if it's a feature of Dungeon Architect or Unity itself, I thought maybe you can shed some light on my problem.

When I try to generate a dungeon without adding a dungeon theme, a blue rectangle appears on the editor and points at the theme variable slot. The problem is that I can't make it go away even if I place a theme or select another object, and I can't type in to change the values of other float or int variables after that point... The only solution I could find is to restart Unity.

I'm using Unity 2018.26f1 on a Windows 10 machine, and I downloaded Dungeon Architect just a few days ago so I believe it is the latest edition as well.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Attached Files:

4. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

ok, I've read through all the previous updates and have questions.

1. Presumably, generating a city layout with a small vertical dungeon for the interior of each of the buildings would be too much for the system to handle am I right?

2. The building you made has floors all the tame shape and level. Is it possible to make each floor generate a different shape and have some of them include small height changes within the floor. - Ideally, I'd like to just produce a tall spiralling dungeon layout connected by stairs.

3. I saw in the video where you set rules for different segments that there was an "above height" option but I never saw that setting in use. Would I be able to basically change theme slightly per floor using this?

4. I also saw support for segments larger than one grid tile. Is this limited to 2x2 segments?

5. Is it possible to have animated segments? like a wall comprised of floating bits?

I have such wonderful plans for this tool.

AliAkbar and MstislavPavlov like this.
  5. SSL7

SSL7

I'm trying to figure out how to make a "quest" kind of dungeon, like you have to go to the first 2 minibosses and kill them before the door is accessible in the main boss room. I have setup the Dugenons so they have a Boss Room and 2 Mid rooms fine like you explain in one of your tutorial vids., but what I'm not able to do is to make the Door Marker Replacement to work.

So what I'm trying to do is to be able to handle some specific doors that spawn on my dungeon so I can have variables etc.

6. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@canis I had the same "namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found" error causing Build failure caused by DungeonRoomDesignerHook.cs
    - the solution's to just put that script in an Editor folder (make a folder named Editor and move DungeonRoomDesignerHook.cs into it)

canis and hopeful like this.
  7. FWZT

FWZT

err:
    Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Dungeon/SpatialConstraints/SpatialConstraintProcessor.cs(175,35): error CS0117: `UnityEngine.Matrix4x4' does not contain a definition for `Rotate'
    Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Dungeon/SpatialConstraints/SpatialConstraintProcessor.cs(175,35): error CS0117: `UnityEngine.Matrix4x4' does not contain a definition for `Rotate'
    Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Dungeon/SpatialConstraints/SpatialConstraintProcessor.cs(177,35): error CS0117: `UnityEngine.Matrix4x4' does not contain a definition for `Rotate'

i use unity 5.6.6,how can i fix it?
    @AliAkbar

8. ruloi

ruloi

Hi,

I'm trying to make my dungeon building async . How can I know when the dungeon is fully built?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. OnPostDungeonLayoutBuild
    Gets called way before the dungeon is fully built. Thanks!

@AliAkbar

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@ivanmotta I've fixed the issue and will be available in the next build

Neviah and ivanmotta like this.
  10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@reinaldf try clearing your existing baked nav mesh from the Navigations tab. Then add this script to the dungeon game object. (there's a navigation demo sample in the samples folder: DungeonArchitect_Samples\Misc_Examples\Scenes\NavigationSimpleDemo
    It build the navigation and has an NPC that follows the player through the nav path

da_nav_mesh.png

Neviah likes this.
  11. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@canis I've fixed the DungeonRoomDesignerHook bug and will be available in the next update shortly

Could you provide more info on the rotation bug. The transform is also dependent on the parent nodes (like in skeletal animation)

12. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

This is mostly a Unity thing and you'll have to remove the script manually

13. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@cksiavash The infinite dungeon framework is in the early stages. I'll explore creating infinite cities

ayk and Neviah like this.
  14. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@archmagus It's an old issue that I need to look into. Unity should release the highlight when you click on it but it doesn't seem to. I use Highlighter.Highlight to do this. I'll explore if there's a better way to do this

15. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

1. You'll need a streaming system to load the building levels (new level dungeons) when the user enters a building. It is not supported currently
    2. This is something I'll explore and get back to you
    3. I didn't implement that script. It is very easy to add new scripts with your own logic and automatically populate that list. I'll add it in the next update. Let me know what you'd like to see more
    4. Yes, the new spatial constraint system opens up lot of possibilities.
    5. Sure, that would be your wall prefab like any other. Add your animation logic in the prefab

16. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'm working on a powerful tool to make this happen (mission editor). This will open up tons of possibilities for DA. More info soon

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Neviah likes this.
  17. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Please delete the DungeonArchitect asset and downloading it again from the 5.6 editor's asset store window. I've uploaded a different version for 5.6 for backward compatibility. You are probably using and 2017 or 2018 version

18. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Ah my bad, I need to call Highlighter.Stop(); I'll fix this in the next update

19. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@ruloi this is a bug. I'll fix this in the future build

20. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Any plan for streaming system anytime soon?

21. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

wonderful!
    as I said I want to create a spiral dungeon connected by stairs with every couple of floors a new theme blended over the floors between. I forgot to ask if it's possible to make round dungeon layouts yet because I will need that feature to make the spiral. Also can dungeons generated with this generate below the ground plane because I want half of this tower to be underground.

22. canis

canis

About the rotation bug, I think it's not worth to fix it anyway.

in my test case.
    the "Ground" floor prefab, is rotate 90 degree on X-axis.
    so we assign the X -90 degree in DA, to make it display correctly.
    however, when you do this, the "map constraint logic" will not response correctly.
    e.g. I want to add a new constraint to spawn a "flower prop" on corner between 2 walls.
    it use to be setting like this.
    [w] [w] [w]
    [w] [G] [w]
    [w] [w] [w]
    with search radius = 0.1f

however the ground floor prefab is rotated. the calculate is wrong.
    seem like local to world space calculation issue.
    didn't dig into the code, and ask the artist to fix the asset and avoid using DA's prefab rotation to fix the asset.

23. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@canis Thank you for the heads-up. I'll have a closer look

24. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

Good staff...Is this asset compatible with 2018.3 right now? Thanks.

25. ruloi

ruloi

Thanks! I'll wait for the update then :)

26. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

One more thing, is it possible to have more than 1 dungeons in different places on the same scene ? I don't see how to do it... Do we have to duplicate the grid prefab? I have done it but apparently it mixes all of them.....

27. tcz8

tcz8

@AliAkbar I have Spatial Constrain errors since upgrading from version 1.6 to 1.81 (see pic)

I tried deleting DA and reimporting it but I get the same errors.
    I use Unity 2017.4.11f1

upload_2018-12-6_1-57-5.png

EDIT:
    I managed to fixed it. It was indeed an import issue but a complex one. I was stuck in a loop between DA that wouldnt compile because of the error and some of my scripts that wouldnt compile because DA didnt compile... and both errors were causing the compilation to abort! Finaly fixed it by moving DA and my scripts out of the plugin folder, letting it compile and moving it back in plugin.

TLDR: Using the plugin folder caused issues between scripts that depend on each other because of whatever it does to the compile order.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  28. ayk

ayk

I've just started dabbling with Dungeon Architect even though I bought it a long time ago, and this infinite dungeon feature is the most intriguing to me. Looking forward to seeing it get more fleshed out (with some example scenes as well). I'm sure you have a roadmap/wishlist, but I'd love to see it grow into a way to create infinite over-worlds, with different biomes and so forth.

29. Nevercallmebyname

Nevercallmebyname

That's how I'm going to use it although my overworld has been designed a little less horizontal and a little more vertical

30. Neurolog

Neurolog

Been using this asset both in unreal engine and unity and really like it. I've been trying to generate medieval cities at runtime using the simple city builder in unity. I can get the city to build at runtime using space without an issue, but if I add the landscape transformer it will randomize and build only at design time, and no longer builds at runtime. Is there a way to get this function to execute at runtime? Thanks!

StevenPicard and hopeful like this.
  31. b152349

b152349

I want to be able to attach my hand-built corridors/rooms to my procedurally generated dungeons in real time. What's the best way to achieve this?

32. sordidlist

sordidlist

Hello,

When I use the Dungeon Floor Planner to generate a dungeon, depending on the sizes of the rooms that I set, it will sometimes generate the dungeon immediately, and other times it will work endlessly, consuming all my system memory until it crashes. It seems to work fine with room sizes smaller than 3 or 4 but it inhibits the size of the dungeon I can make. Thanks for your help!

PS, I see in this forum that there are a handful of bugfixes coming in the next release. Is that expected to be released before 2019 by any chance? Thanks again!

33. chaenator

chaenator

Hi all,

I was wondering the solution for "one time only" rooms would be - say I make room for kitchen or fountain room or something, and I want this to only appear on the grid once, how would I go about doing this?

Sorry if this is already asked - I could not find it via Ali's tutorial or elsewhere... and could not think of the solution myself...

AliAkbar likes this.
  34. SSL7

SSL7

Guys, what kind of occlusion solution you use for the randomly created dungeons in runtime?

StevenPicard likes this.
  35. ivanmotta

ivanmotta

I'm using some Platform Volume + Override Theme Volume, and some exclusion areas around. If your room is not procedural, you can just model it, place some Platform Volume as corridors or access areas and a Override Marker to force a door at some point.. Requires some testing, because if its on the edge of the dungeon area maybe it doesn't connect.

@dlevel I was using InstantOC but had so many problems with GC and some pops on transparent objects, I'm writing my own based on their ideas.

36. mick129

mick129

Hello, insite Unity when I try my game every collision work fine, but when I build the game, my character pass trough walls and all the object, I really dont have any clue on what to do.

What could change between the test inside Unity, and once the game is built?

37. ArkadiuszR

ArkadiuszR

It not work.
    https://i.imgur.com/FNgO46x.png
    I can't get image of prefabs.

38. SSL7

SSL7

Is there a way to exclude some prefabs from Mesh Merger? I have some harvestable object that they need to disappear after the interaction.

Also any ETA of the quest tool you mentioned some weeks ago? So we can have boss rooms etc.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  39. hopeful

hopeful

DunGen, an older competitor of sorts to DA, which really only builds indoor dungeons, is set up to use SECTR: VIS. I've not investigated this, but probably it would be relatively easy to use VIS with Dungeon Architect as well, for indoor scenes. If you are thinking of going this route, it's best to buy the whole SECTR: COMPLETE while it is on holiday sale.

There's a new Portal Occluder plugin that looks like it might work for indoors simply by adding a component to your door prefabs. That seems easy to control ... if you have doors.

There's a new GPU-based occluder, called GPU Occlusion Culling, that looks promising. It looks like you'd add a component to the camera and then forget about it ... everything would happen automatically. The limitation is that it works only on opaque objects, so transparencies like glass and water would be unaffected. Unfortunately, it doesn't really seem to improve performance ...?

The VRDOC plugin sounds like it works like InstantOC ... by sending raycasts to hit colliders you set up for the purpose of controlling culling. For objects at distance it uses sphere colliders, which is an enhancement.

Gorovs Occlusion Culling also sounds like a raycast method.

Easy Pop may be the last one, though it's not really OC. It sounds more like it is based on setting GOs inactive based on distance, which can in some cases be better than simply turning renderers off, but can also bite by disabling AI and other behaviors you wanted to keep running. So it's not necessarily based on what's visible, but could play a similar or complementary role.

It's nice to see that most of the OC options that are available are inexpensive. Unfortunately, for some reason most have negative reviews.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    AliAkbar, Arganth, SSL7 and 1 other person like this.
  40. b152349

b152349

I'm modifying the sample Indoor theme for my own purposes and ran into a problem where the side wall stairs are appearing in the archway between adjacent rooms. How do I stop this from happening?

41. ArkadiuszR

ArkadiuszR

@AliAkbar How put item on center of room? Node: RoomCenter not work :(

42. Arganth

Arganth

has somebody tried: gpu instancer?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/117566

"GPU Instancer is an out of the box solution to display extreme numbers of objects on screen with high performance. With a few mouse clicks, you can instance your prefabs, Unity terrain details and trees."

As far as I know it automatically modifies the shaders used on the prefabs so they can be used with indirect instancing.

43. hopeful

hopeful

Instancing, mesh combining, imposters, and LOD seem like the best solutions for exterior scenes, like using DA for a city. Or possibly an indoor scene where a camera down view reveals many rooms at once.

A lot of DA users will be challenged for performance, so it's good to hear if solutions like GPU Instancer or maybe Amplify Imposters are working for people.

44. rasto61

rasto61

It's very well worth it.
    It all comes down to what you are doing, but if you have a dungeon where you have a huge amount of a certain number of prefabs, GPU Instancer will definitely allow you to run smoothly. Or at least smoother than if you don't have it.
    I am not using it with DA, I will do in the near future, but in another project it gave me a nice boost in a non VR setup. In VR unfortunately the gain was not noticeable (but that was due to also using curved world, so I had to use default shadows and not GPUI shadows, and I have a really far shadow distance)

Usability-wise its near the top of my asset store purchases. If you want to use it with DA and edit time generation, then its pretty much plug & play. If you want runtime generation you will probably have to add the spawned instances yourself (don't know yet my use case was a static world so I did not check that out yet, but I imagine based on the overall quality it should be straightforward)

Arganth and hopeful like this.
  45. rocksockm

rocksockm

Hi, @AliAkbar. Thank you for the wonderful product. I've been using it for a while now and recently, I discovered your BSP model (BSPDungeonModel). Do you have plans to do more work on it? I saw that you were inspired by Ziggurat and had planned to do some more things inspired by what they did and was curious if anything is on the horizon. Thanks and have a good new year!

46. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Hi @AliAkbar. Do you have any plans to create a new Landscape Transformer to work with new terrain in 2018.3? I'm currently limited to flat layouts at the moment which is not ideal.

47. Breathing

Breathing

Hej, @AliAkbar! Your asset is awesome, worth the money.
    But i have some troubles. I wanna generate sidewalks and some stuff on it separately from roads and houses.
    Should i create my own builder ? Or node ? Or just make a new selection rules ?
    Hope for your help. Thank you!

HeadClot88 likes this.
  48. Jeason1997

Jeason1997

@AliAkbar Hi, will Dungeon Architect support 2D/2.5D platform games?

49. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'm working on a huge update for DA with mission graphs and new toolset for 2D games. I'll have more info soon

spryx, hopeful, Arganth and 1 other person like this.
  50. SSL7

SSL7

@AliAkbar there is a bug when using mesh merger, scale of graph objects don't taken in consideration. Also is there a way to have some objects not get merged? So we can have some objects disappear after events etc.Unity 2018.3.1, latest DA

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019