Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Darren-R

Darren-R

Hello @AliAkbar or anyone with the knowledge!

I'm trying to make my own DungeonBuilder using the SimpleCity example builder. The user will draw the dungeon layout themselves so the layout phase is just making the data structure and initial Markers. The layout phase is working fine, I can change the cell.CellType easily afterwards and update the Markers (I have this working already).

The problem is, I can't find a way in code to get the Theme to refresh in Play Mode. The cell.CellType changes I'm doing are working, if I fiddle with the Theme Node editor it updates. I just need a chunk of code to do that theme update without having to run through the whole layout process (which is not needed for my app).

I'm using Bolt for most of my programming logic but I can read and hack C# scripts when needed (I'm not a great coder). I can follow most of whats going on in the different DA scripts.

I found a ReapplyTheme method in Dungeon.cs but it needs an objectInstantiator as an input and I can't quite figure out what that even is, its going a bit beyond my coding ability at that point.

Thanks in advance!

2. Necka_

Necka_

Hello,

@AliAkbar is this asset still supported? didn't see creator's activity for some months now...

I have an issue in Unity 2018.1.7 and Net 4.0

upload_2018-7-13_3-38-46.png

I believe this is due to Net Framework version. This is blocking compiler.

I need Net 4.0 in my project and deleting /thirdparty/sharpnav just throw hundreds of errors, so I guess it's necessary.

My second question is regarding the Mesh Merging tool. I saw you said it was added in April but the Unity store says the last release is from March. I believe no updates happened since then

3. Appminis

Appminis

Is there an example for the Circular City using sidewalks, lamp posts, etc.?

4. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'll create a sample for this

rubble1 and S4G4N like this.
  5. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@hugopok that would be the way to go. I do something similar in the unreal multi-player demo

6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Mohamed-Anis you are right. that flag is not needed. I've removed it

Mohamed-Anis likes this.
  7. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'm working on that and have a graph grammar framework built. I'm testing this out in unreal and will port it over to unity when done.

Here's a very early build in ue4 (hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting non-unity stuff here :D)

That was from an early build. It can create more advanced graphs like you mentioned. Here's a screen with further along the development

The graph rules create a random mission graph that have a Mini boss (bm) that requires 3 keys (km) to open a multi lock (lm). A bunch of other stuff in the middle and a final lock (lf) that requires a key (kf) that leads to the level boss (bl) and eventually the goal

This will work nicely with the snap builder and other types of builders. I haven't come around integrating this with the layout yet

You can design your own graph rules to generate infinite mission graphs of a certain theme (like the one above) or use the ones I'll provide as samples

If anyone's interested in knowing more about Graph Grammars and generating mission grammars like this, check out the papers written by Joris Dormans

• Generating Missions and Spaces for Adaptable Play Experience
    • Adventures in Level Design: Generating Missions and Spaces for Action Adventure Games

8. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thank you @Nevrosis. It should be possible with the snap builder in the future with the graph grammar I've mentioned in the previous post. I'll keep this in mind and add it as a feature

9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Elfinnik159 It will be available in the next update soon

10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hey @Darren-R ReapplyTheme would be correct. for the object instantiator, simply pass one of the two depending on if you are in the editor or at runtime: EditorDungeonSceneObjectInstantiator or RuntimeDungeonSceneObjectInstantiator

The Editor version uses PrefabUtility to instantiate the objects so the prefabs are created properly in the scene view (with the correct Select / Revert / Apply buttons) but requires UnityEditor namespace. If you don't care about that simply pass a new instance the runtime version (new RuntimeDungeonSceneObjectInstantiator())

11. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've fixed the issue. I'll have an early access update for your guys soon

12. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

gameObj.transform.SetParent() seems to be breaking physics (the physics transform is reset to 0,0,0) in Unity 2018.2.
    This happens when you try to place all the dungeon items under a certain game object to avoid clutter (i.e. when you assign a game object to the Pooled Dungeon Scene Provider's ItemParent)

I'll investigate this further

13. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Yep, just confirmed it with a simple spawn script. The physics doesn't get transformed properly

14. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've fixed the 2018.2 physics parenting issue by first setting the parent then assigning the transform. The SetParent's worldPositionStays flag doesn't do anything

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

You should also check his works on cyclical level graph:
    http://ctrl500.com/tech/handcrafted...nexplored-explores-cyclic-dungeon-generation/

Apparently it yield the most believable (handcraft) feel to generation.

Other thing to consider (also suggested by Joris):
    - a graph for movement access (traditional)
    - a compound graph for visibility (you can see a key but not access, or vice versa, it for example)

16. ivanmotta

ivanmotta

Hey Ali! Is there a way to combine meshes by room limits? Would improve my occlusion culling solution so much...
    And this feature you mention, when will be available?

17. Necka_

Necka_

Thanks a lot, I've sent you a mail for that (you replied already) - can you sent me the update when it's available?

thank you

18. Appminis

Appminis

Is there an example for the Circular City using sidewalks, lamp posts, etc.?

19. Sedgr

Sedgr

Im having occasional issues with the cliff theme and wondering how I would go about resolving it. It produces unnavigable maps sometimes. As shown here.

https://imgur.com/a/ohiEpwm

Using the special room finder as the player start point.