Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. emperor12321

emperor12321

It seems like it is working for some people on blank projects. I have six namespace errors which make it unplayable currently in my blank project. Is there a step I missed in setup?

2. francescobr

francescobr

What's the difference beetween a Cell and a GridCellInfo object? Does the first hold infos about the whole Room or Corridor while the second holds infos about the single tiles of a Room or Corridor?

3. francescobr

francescobr

Guys can someone explain how to use the snap builder? I cannot find docs anywhere and I'm stuck.

AliAkbar likes this.
  4. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've been wanting to create that for a while :D. I'll look into it soon

Mikael-H likes this.
  5. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Arganth I'll look into mesh combining. GPU instancing is straightforward with UE4 as it takes care of the shaders creation and compilation itself. However, in unity it requires the material's shader to support instancing, which I cannot update from code. I'll explore further on this.

Sehee26 and Arganth like this.
  6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thank you @Naughtykyuubi69 Let us know what you create

7. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hey @jaybennett, DA supports mutiple layouts (called builders) and they can implement their own tooling to influence the layout.

I've implemented a new type of system based on texture rasterization (more info in the further post). This system can allow painting the layout with a paint brush. In your case, fences can be trace through marching squares

8. Arganth

Arganth

I now use mesh combine studio which works wonders with dungeon architect :)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/101956

most demos are also made with dungeon architect :)

Sehee26, hopeful and AliAkbar like this.
  9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

GridCellInfo is used internally by the builder for faster lookup and with some extra metadata. It is not meant to be public. You should be using Cell which is available from the grid model

10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Yeah it looks awesome :) I grabbed it a while ago. Didn't get around to playing with it yet

11. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@francescobr I'l add tutorials for the snap builder soon

12. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I did some work on level streaming. There are some pending issues though (e.g. adjacent rooms share a wall on both sides so streaming it out causes an empty space to show up)

It should be available in the future updates.

13. francescobr

francescobr

@AliAkbar please help me, why does this happen?
    In the meanwhile could you tell me how prefabs should be made? The snap builder creates just one or two rooms and connects them by merging them in the wrong way. Doors aren't connected at all.
    I tried to make them like the example in the DemoBuilder_Snap folder but mine don't work.

And man I've got to tell you, you should really make some better docs for your tool, as it is now I'm sorry but support is very poor :(

14. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've working on a new dungeon rasterization system where the builders can first paint their layouts on a texture, then apply various filters on top of it. Then emit the markers off of it for the theme files to pick it up. This opens up lots of possibilities for creating more organic dungeons, as opposed to being restricted to a grid based or geometric system.

Here are some early results from the new circular city builder that uses the rasterization framework.
    The roadmap is first painted on a texture. This splatmap would then be used to drive the marker emission so your buildings, trees, walls etc can be placed.

The framework lets the builders create as many splatmaps as it wants (e.g. more texture maps for population, theme overrides, etc) that can be populated by code logic (like the roadmap), through a noise or by a paint tool by the user

The progression...

Start by drawing the ring roads

Draw the rays

Start filling up the nearby empty space based on weights. This is good for creating thick lines later on

Add intermediate lanes

Randomize the angle of the side lanes to create a more organic look and adjust the rasterization with a curve for better defined boundaries

Next steps:
    • Add house markers around each blocks
    • Road decorations (lamp posts, side walk etc)
    • Spline roads
    • Tooling

rubble1, Sehee26, Guile_R and 4 others like this.
  15. francescobr

francescobr

Snap Builder seems to work if I load your scene, but not in my scene, even if I copy paste your prefab and click on Build Dungeon. It just builds the starting room (the 6x2 room in your example). Why?

EDIT : I was finally able to make it work, connections HAVE to be as direct children of the prefab gameobject. If they're nested than it's not gonna work. Man we need documentation for this!!!

AliAkbar likes this.
  16. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

This sounds AWESOME! Is it safe to assume that it will end up being able to be used for underground labyrinths or dungeon systems as well? It would be awesome to be able to take a texture with a basic layout to feed into the system and have build rooms, corridors, etc to build out the space, regardless of shape.

AliAkbar likes this.
  17. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@francescobr Snap builder is a work in progress :) I'm working on the docs for the snap builder and will have it shortly

18. emperor12321

emperor12321

AliAkbar would you please check your email? I am having a serious issue.

19. Snow-Dragon

Snow-Dragon

@AliAkbar
    Hello AliAkbar. I'm new user of your Dungeon Architect and I found BSPDungeon doesn't have a SpatialConstraint support. Can you add some support to that?

20. hopeful

hopeful

Wow! This could possibly also enable use of real world roadmaps with DA ...?

21. francescobr

francescobr

It looks like snap builder does not remove or disabled doors from prefabs when snapping them together, so the result is you get 2 doors. For the moment I've been removing all my doors, so that snapping is more fluid, but I wonder, how would I readd them later? Is there any suitable way?
    And another question for @AliAkbar, would it be possible using a grid builder on top of a snap builder or viceversa? Like theme overrides but with builders instead of themes?

22. davidseth8

davidseth8

@AliAkbar can you provide more info on the Mario Builder? I'm trying to get it to work by creating a new scene, dragging in the DungeonMario prefab and creating a new theme, but nothing happens and no errors.

I'm looking to see how this can be used in my side scroller game so wanting to see what you've done.

This is a terrific asset!

23. Arcan-Studios

Arcan-Studios

hi, its posible to use ceilling with diferent size and geometry of the floor?

Attached Files:

24. jlocke

jlocke

Hey .. we used last year the unreal version . nice asset ...

25. DanVioletSagmiller

DanVioletSagmiller

Anyone know how to get the prefab it associated post build from the cell? or vice versa? The game I'm using is grid based, and I'm trying to wire it up. I'm having trouble figuring out how to associate a cell, post build, with the game object that was added.

Here is the code I'm already using:

public override void OnPostDungeonBuild(Dungeon dungeon, DungeonModel model)
    {
    if (model is GridDungeonModel)
    {
    var grid = model as GridDungeonModel;
    var builder = dungeon.GetComponent<GridDungeonBuilder>();
    foreach(var cell in grid.Cells)
    {
    /// how do I get the prefab added for this cell?
    }

26. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

@AliAkhbar, sorry for noob questions, but has the script been included in the latest version of DA? The script would be helpful for me to test run time mesh combiner with DA and to stream the assets.

Thanks.

27. jaybennett

jaybennett

How can we visualize the intermediate in-memory dungeon layout as shown in your user guide documentation? Do you have a tool that can visualize the list of PropSocket and color them by type as well?

I am enjoying the asset so far.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  28. Francois31360

Francois31360

Hi everyone, I've just bought this plugin, i have installed it, but i can't use it because of this error :
    error 0246 : The type or namespace 'NavMeshBuildSource' could not be found.

Could you help me please ?
    My version of Unity is 5.5.4p4

29. jlocke

jlocke

Hello .. is the asset still active . I have not seen reply from the author . we would but for a new project

30. hopeful

hopeful

As you can see above, the author commented in this thread about two weeks ago.

31. Snotface

Snotface

Requires Unity 5.6.0 or higher

32. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hi everyone,
    I've been working on finalizing the circular city builder. I ended up using the geometric approach (instead of rasterization in the earlier update) for more control
    I also added a road network framework. It creates nice roads with arbitrary width with intersections. I'll be integrating this with the other city builder later. The texturing needs more work.

Added a script to make the buildings near the center taller

A larger city

The road network

Since this is a graph in memory, path finding and traffic can be simulated

tapawafo, rubble1, pixelsteam and 6 others like this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

Just curious, but would it be possible with small tweakings of your code to get different shapes, like hexagon, pentagon, etc.? Or perhaps semi-circles of varying degrees? Ovals and/or ellipses?

And would it be possible to set a circular city region inside of another city region, with the circular overwriting / displacing the underlying random city?

Not trying to bedevil you, just thinking this might be a point in development where an opportunity might exist for more options, and if so, to ask for them. :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  34. Sovogal

Sovogal

@AliAkbar Not to derail the incredible work you're doing on alternate builders, but I was wondering whether I could make a couple of quality-of-life requests for the theme editor.

1. Node connections. I would love to be able to see node connections between marker and emitter nodes. For example, if I highlight an emitter node, highlight the corresponding marker node in the editor, possibly with a directional arrow if the marker node is off-screen. If I highlight the marker, highlight the emitters that emit the marker. This will both help me learn better from example themes AND allow me to better manage my own themes.
    2. Node title width scaling. For longer names or similarly named nodes, the width limit obscures the name.
    3. Colorizing nodes. Playmaker has this functionality and it also helps visually conceptualize large graphs. An example would be coloring wall decorations differently from floor decorations.

I'm coming back after about six months and I'm loving the changes I see. Thanks for your hard work and continued support.

35. Arganth

Arganth

@AliAkbar

would you already see the snap builder as production ready? or are greater changes incoming?

36. levi777l

levi777l

Do you have a roadmap of upcoming features?

37. progys

progys

Hi,

What is the point to do a website on Dungeon Architect, if you never show how to start from the very beggining ?

38. Arcan-Studios

Arcan-Studios

please reply to this i need to know if its posible

39. Sehee26

Sehee26

Hi @AliAkbar, when can we expected the next update?

Thanks.

40. Heavy_D

Heavy_D

Hi @AliAkbar, I have a question on DA and playmaker... I am not a programmer and so I use playmaker to make games, I just would like to access the seed property in the grid dungeon config script through playmaker but can't find it when I use set property.

Is there maybe time for you to look this up and create maybe a small tutorial on how to do this. I think a lot of playmaker users could use it.

41. StevenChand

StevenChand

Hi @AliAkbar, amazing tool you have here!

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to get a Collection of rooms, after the dungeon has been created?

Such collection might have the bounds of a room, array of references to prefabs contained within the room, etc.
    I was hoping to create a monster spawner object, covering the bounds of a room, after the dungeon has been created.

2. Would it be possible to add layer overrides for MeshNodes?

For example, it would be great if I could create all "ground" marker mesh nodes on the "Ground" layer, "wall" marker mesh nodes on the "Walls" layer, etc. This would be helpful when performing layermask raycasts on the dungeon

42. MystiqueGaming

MystiqueGaming

Can it be used to create other procedurellay generated terrain as well??

43. Hellwaiker

Hellwaiker

Hey!
    What is the best way to add Ceilings? I added them to ground node but ran into problem on stairs area

44. wolfen231

wolfen231

Any idea when we will get the Cellular Automata mode for Unity?

45. MaxKMadiath

MaxKMadiath

Hello
    I am making a 2.5d game, i need a floor and wall on one side, Please tell me how i can do that. i have tried mario builder but it is creating only the floor .
    Thanks in advance

46. wolfen231

wolfen231

I am curious if anyone has tried calling another dungeon prefab from some sort of listener script?

For example a snap dungeon prefab has a floor planner prefab in it and then it can randomly decide to spawn that floor planner (pre-set up to fit inside properly). The trick I can't figure out is how to actually get it to spawn / activate that floor planner.

47. wolfen231

wolfen231

When do you plan to have this update in as well?

48. wolfen231

wolfen231

The way he got around this is in an example somewhere. I think his FPS candy demo. He would create a ceiling specific to stairs and use a selection rule(?) to tell it to only apply that to stair pieces placed.

Or he was attaching the special ceiling piece to the stairs.

49. Verbanski

Verbanski

Hi my friend, i've bought your dungeon arquitect engine but i have a doubt:
    how can i change the width of corridor between room?

PS: i'm using the DungeonSpatialPartition

thank you!

50. wolfen231

wolfen231

Are you looking for the "Corridor Padding" option on the dungeon architect prefab inspector?

Attached Files: